+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Mandatory CAD $2000 quarantine for all travellers coming to Canada.

Daviantarch

Star Member
Feb 8, 2021
Hi All,

Since the new rule has been imposed by the Canadian prime minister. If I happen to get visa approval soon for May 2021 intake can I defer my studies to next intake? Do I have to re-apply for my study permit? Please advice.

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
Hello,

You can always defer your admission to the next possible intake without any consequence.

Best of Luck
Hi, can you help me too? I applied for study permit around september and was accepted around december . my initial LOA was for winter but after my PPR , i deferred to summer, now my visa stamp on passport says 01.12.2020 to 01.01.2023 .
Now yesterday my universtiy informed me that the summer term is online too. Now question is can i register and study online from my home country and then go to canada for the septmeber term? since my initial decision was to defer from winter to summer which was less than 150 days, i did not send my deferred LOA to ircc, but now with the new situation i want to pass summer online and then go to Canada around August 2021. will there be a problem at the port of entry based on my visa status? wont they tell me why are you late or something?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi All,

Since the new rule has been imposed by the Canadian prime minister. If I happen to get visa approval soon for May 2021 intake can I defer my studies to next intake? Do I have to re-apply for my study permit? Please advice.
You must check with your school whether deferral is possible. You should then update your LOA

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi, can you help me too? I applied for study permit around september and was accepted around december . my initial LOA was for winter but after my PPR , i deferred to summer, now my visa stamp on passport says 01.12.2020 to 01.01.2023 .
Now yesterday my universtiy informed me that the summer term is online too. Now question is can i register and study online from my home country and then go to canada for the septmeber term? since my initial decision was to defer from winter to summer which was less than 150 days, i did not send my deferred LOA to ircc, but now with the new situation i want to pass summer online and then go to Canada around August 2021. will there be a problem at the port of entry based on my visa status? wont they tell me why are you late or something?
You should have updated your LOA via webform. Had you done so your permit length would have covered your new study period. If you don't attend for 90 days schools are supposed to cancel your admission. The 150 doesn't apply to your situation.

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Hello guys, please , does the CAD 2k include the two COVID-19 test( incase it's not free) to be done in Canada or it's just the approved hotel fees? Again, after being in the hotel for three days, would the quarantine period in ones preferred location be ( 14-3 ) days, considering the initial three days spent already in the government approved hotel.? Does this policy affect international students?

Karan64braaap

Jul 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Hello guys, please , does the CAD 2k include the two COVID-19 test( incase it's not free) to be done in Canada or it's just the approved hotel fees? Again, after being in the hotel for three days, would the quarantine period in ones preferred location be ( 14-3 ) days, considering the initial three days spent already in the government approved hotel.? Does this policy affect international students?
2000$ includes the price of COVID test and hotel expenses for those 3 days and after that you would be quarantining for 14 days but I’m not sure because I saw somewhere that you would be eligible to quarantine for 11 days as you’ve already spent 3 days in a quarantine location. All you can do is wait till they issue proper guidelines breaking down the cost of this new rule

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
2000$ includes the price of COVID test and hotel expenses for those 3 days and after that you would be quarantining for 14 days but I’m not sure because I saw somewhere that you would be eligible to quarantine for 11 days as you’ve already spent 3 days in a quarantine location. All you can do is wait till they issue proper guidelines breaking down the cost of this new rule
Thanks for your prompt response. Are in the know whether travelers from USA ( air and land travelers) are exempted from this? I am planning to enter through the land boarder from Detroit to Windsor. I would not know if this is possible for for first time traveler to Canada from the USA.

Karan64braaap

Jul 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Thanks for your prompt response. Are in the know whether travelers from USA ( air and land travelers) are exempted from this? I am planning to enter through the land boarder from Detroit to Windsor. I would not know if this is possible for for first time traveler to Canada from the USA.
Nope not even Canadians are exempt from this rule but if you’re planning to enter before 22nd of this month then there’s some hope. As per speculation, this rule will be properly implemented from 22nd feb but nobody can provide any concrete facts lol it’s a mess right now. A few people that have arrived in Canada recently via air didn’t have to quarantine in govt approved hotel so if you’re planning to depart to Canada soon enough then go for it!

sbenyamin

Star Member
Oct 22, 2020
You should have updated your LOA via webform. Had you done so your permit length would have covered your new study period. If you don't attend for 90 days schools are supposed to cancel your admission. The 150 doesn't apply to your situation.
thank you for answering my question.
But I don't understand, why would university cancel my admission when they have gave me a defer from winter to summer, and i will attend the summer term, just not in person, it's online. what's that 90 days?

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
Nope not even Canadians are exempt from this rule but if you’re planning to enter before 22nd of this month then there’s some hope. As per speculation, this rule will be properly implemented from 22nd feb but nobody can provide any concrete facts lol it’s a mess right now. A few people that have arrived in Canada recently via air didn’t have to quarantine in govt approved hotel so if you’re planning to depart to Canada soon enough then go for it!
Whao! lol.. this serious. What if I decided to come in through the Detroit-Windsor land boarder, do you think this hotel thing would work there? Or is it a must now that travelers must com via the 4 funneled airports( Toronto, et al)?

Karan64braaap

Jul 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Whao! lol.. this serious. What if I decided to come in through the Detroit-Windsor land boarder, do you think this hotel thing would work there? Or is it a must now that travelers must com via the 4 funneled airports( Toronto, et al)?
“For travellers arriving to Canada by land, as of February 15, 2021, all travellers, with some exceptions, will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the United States within 72 hours of pre-arrival, or a positive test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival. In addition, as of February 22, 2021, travellers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine.”
Better travel before feb 22 ✌

ABmercy&Gr8s

Star Member
Nov 30, 2019
“For travellers arriving to Canada by land, as of February 15, 2021, all travellers, with some exceptions, will be required to provide proof of a negative COVID-19 molecular test result taken in the United States within 72 hours of pre-arrival, or a positive test taken 14 to 90 days prior to arrival. In addition, as of February 22, 2021, travellers entering Canada at the land border will be required to take a COVID-19 molecular test on arrival as well as toward the end of their 14-day quarantine.”
Better travel before feb 22 ✌
Thanks, guy. I later saw a link on IRCC web. Both land and air travelers would be required to do the COVID test upon arrival. However, the major difference is that the land border traveler does not need to stay in a pre-booked government approved hotel; he only needs to go straight to a self- prearranged accommodation with the test kits for 14 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19-land.html

Avoiding the need to lodge three days in government approved hotel for CAD2K by using the land border is a big deal for me. Do you know if Study Permit could be issued at land border to students that have their Port of Entry Letter of Introduction already?

Karan64braaap

Jul 6, 2020
Category........
STUDY
Thanks, guy. I later saw a link on IRCC web. Both land and air travelers would be required to do the COVID test upon arrival. However, the major difference is that the land border traveler does not need to stay in a pre-booked government approved hotel; he only needs to go straight to a self- prearranged accommodation with the test kits for 14 days.
https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/diseases/2019-novel-coronavirus-infection/awareness-resources/entering-canada-covid-19-land.html

Avoiding the need to lodge three days in government approved hotel for CAD2K by using the land border is a big deal for me. Do you know if Study Permit could be issued at land border to students that have their Port of Entry Letter of Introduction already?
I’m not sure about that buddy maybe someone else knows about it better than me