+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost PR Card, how do I prove I meet the residency obligation?

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I know this has been asked before, but haven't found anything in my situation in specific.

I lost my wallet (and PR card) a few weeks ago, I'm going to apply for a new one. The document checklist says I need to attach proof that I will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada:

If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years
  • you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.
I've only left Canada for three weeks in total since I became a permanent resident back in July 2021, I still haven't fulfilled my 730 days residency obligation. How do I prove I will meet the minimum physical presence? Some people say I don't need to prove it, but the checklist stresses that it's mandatory. The website says:

Supporting documents showing that you meet the residency obligation
  • You must provide copies of 2 pieces of evidence that can show residency in Canada in the five (5) years immediately before the application, such as:
    • employment records or pay stubs;
    • bank statements;
    • Canada Revenue Agency (CRA) Notice of Assessment for the five (5) years immediately before the application
    • evidence that you received benefits from Canadian government programs;
    • rental agreements;
    • club memberships;
    • or any other documents that prove you met your residency obligation.
Those things as well as my CBSA records will prove that I've been living in Canada, but they don't really prove I will meet the physical presence requirements in the future.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I know this has been asked before, but haven't found anything in my situation in specific.

I lost my wallet (and PR card) a few weeks ago, I'm going to apply for a new one. The document checklist says I need to attach proof that I will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada:

I've only left Canada for three weeks in total since I became a permanent resident back in July 2021, I still haven't fulfilled my 730 days residency obligation. How do I prove I will meet the minimum physical presence? Some people say I don't need to prove it, but the checklist stresses that it's mandatory. The website says:

Those things as well as my CBSA records will prove that I've been living in Canada, but they don't really prove I will meet the physical presence requirements in the future.
Sorry to hear that! Were you traveling (soon), which is why you had your PR Card in your wallet?! I recommend keeping it with your passport, instead.;)

As of the change to the PR Card application on June 6th, all PRs must now provide at least 2 pieces of `evidence', even those that have never left Canada since obtaining their PR status.

Your CBSA entry (and possible exit data if CBSA has that [much discussion around here regarding exit records not being available]) will help IRCC, but because those are simply dates showing when you entered Canada, it does not automatically solidify that you remained in Canada. I know...I get it and agree for the most part, but...it's the reality of how things work.

I would just provide anything that shows that you are residing in Canada. A copy of a residential lease or rental agreement (not the entire thing), just the page showing your name and address, along with a couple of bank statements showing `active' activity in your area. Examples would be local ATM activity, purchases from a local store or restaurant, etc., since it proves that you're using your debit/credit card in person, versus showing an online purchase where you could be anywhere.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017

First you must report that your PR card has gone missing. This is very important so that your card isn’t used fraudulently. When you are back in Canada you can apply for a new PR card. You need to apply for a PRTD from abroad to return to Canada or you can fly into the US and cross the land border if you have a US visa. You should apply for a PRTD asap because it can take a while. If this is your first PR care you automatically meet the residency requirement if you landed in 2021 even without being in Canada so wouldn’t worry about proof. Just list the dates you have been in Canada. You automatically meet your RO based on the fact that you could meet the 730 days within 5 years of landing as a PR because you still have 3 years left of the 5 years since landing.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
First you must report that your PR card has gone missing. This is very important so that your card isn’t used fraudulently. When you are back in Canada you can apply for a new PR card. You need to apply for a PRTD from abroad to return to Canada or you can fly into the US and cross the land border if you have a US visa. You should apply for a PRTD asap because it can take a while. If this is your first PR care you automatically meet the residency requirement if you landed in 2021 even without being in Canada so wouldn’t worry about proof. Just list the dates you have been in Canada. You automatically meet your RO based on the fact that you could meet the 730 days within 5 years of landing as a PR because you still have 3 years left of the 5 years since landing.
Suspect that the OP IS in Canada. The updated application (and the Document Checklist) both indicate that at least 2 pieces of evidence are required...even for those that landed within the last 5 years, apparently.

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
The document checklist says I need to attach proof that I will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada:

I've only left Canada for three weeks in total since I became a permanent resident back in July 2021, I still haven't fulfilled my 730 days residency obligation. How do I prove I will meet the minimum physical presence? Some people say I don't need to prove it, but the checklist stresses that it's mandatory.

You became a PR less than three years ago, which means there are still more than two years (more than 730 days) left before the fifth year anniversary of the day you landed (the day you became a PR); that is sufficient proof you "will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada." That is, proof there are enough days left in your first five years to spend at least 730 days in Canada proves you are able to meet the obligation to be IN Canada at least 730 days within the first five years.

Some (probably including me on occasion) describe proof in your situation as "automatic," and others (also probably including me at times) say something to the effect that for the PR who still has at least two years left in their first five years, they do not need to prove they can meet the RO. This is just different ways of saying that establishing the date of landing and the date of the application is sufficient when there are enough days left on the calendar to meet the RO for the first five year time period.

Evidence Sufficient to Make a Complete Application:

We do not know how strictly IRCC approaches screening PR card applications for completeness. Typically an application deemed incomplete will be returned.

@Ponga addresses this aspect in regards to the current instructions and checklist which require all PR card applicants to submit two "pieces" of evidence "showing" residency in Canada. A rather low, easy to meet bar.

So, even though there is no possible question about your compliance with the RO (again, since you have been a PR fewer than three years, so you absolutely have enough time to meet the RO regardless of how much, or little time you have spent in Canada so far), to follow the instructions you still need to submit at least two pieces of evidence showing residency here.

Contextual Clarifications

PR More Than Three, Less Than Five Years:

As you quote, the instructions state:
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years . . . you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

I addressed your current situation, someone who has been a PR fewer than three years, so just the calendar (so to say) proves they can meet the presence obligation.

For those who have been a PR for more than three years, but "less than five," to show compliance with the RO they need the total number of days IN Canada so far, plus the number of days left on the calendar, to add up to at least 730. That means they may need to prove the number of days they have been in Canada, that they have been in Canada enough days that when added to the number of days left to the fifth year anniversary that will meet the RO.

Showing RO Compliance versus Proving RO Compliance:

@Ponga alludes to what may (or may not) be sufficient to *PROVE* RO compliance.

The language in IRCC's information, in regards to proof of RO compliance, tends to be casual, and is, thus, imprecise.

For the most part, PRs who meet the RO without relying on credit for days outside Canada do not need to worry about this; no need to wade into the weeds about what will meet PR's burden of proof as to RO compliance.

For purposes of the PR card application, in particular, the application primarily needs to SHOW the PR is in compliance, which for most means reporting (in travel history) they have spent enough days in Canada to meet the RO. As discussed above, for you (and anyone else who has been a PR less than three years), the number of days left on the calendar until the fifth year anniversary is sufficient to SHOW you are in RO compliance (as in, there are enough days left you will be able to meet the RO even if you had spent just one day in Canada so far).

And that, supported by two pieces of evidence that shows residency in Canada, is enough for most PRs. . . for PRs that IRCC does not have questions or concerns about.

If IRCC has questions or concerns about the PR's RO compliance it can require the PR to provide more information and documents, to submit enough evidence to meet the formal beyond a balance of probability standard of proving they have complied with the RO.

Jane2019

Star Member
Jun 2, 2019
You became a PR less than three years ago, which means there are still more than two years (more than 730 days) left before the fifth year anniversary of the day you landed (the day you became a PR); that is sufficient proof you "will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada." That is, proof there are enough days left in your first five years to spend at least 730 days in Canada proves you are able to meet the obligation to be IN Canada at least 730 days within the first five years.

Some (probably including me on occasion) describe proof in your situation as "automatic," and others (also probably including me at times) say something to the effect that for the PR who still has at least two years left in their first five years, they do not need to prove they can meet the RO. This is just different ways of saying that establishing the date of landing and the date of the application is sufficient when there are enough days left on the calendar to meet the RO for the first five year time period.

Evidence Sufficient to Make a Complete Application:

We do not know how strictly IRCC approaches screening PR card applications for completeness. Typically an application deemed incomplete will be returned.

@Ponga addresses this aspect in regards to the current instructions and checklist which require all PR card applicants to submit two "pieces" of evidence "showing" residency in Canada. A rather low, easy to meet bar.

So, even though there is no possible question about your compliance with the RO (again, since you have been a PR fewer than three years, so you absolutely have enough time to meet the RO regardless of how much, or little time you have spent in Canada so far), to follow the instructions you still need to submit at least two pieces of evidence showing residency here.

Contextual Clarifications

PR More Than Three, Less Than Five Years:

As you quote, the instructions state:
If you have been a permanent resident for less than five (5) years . . . you must show that you will be able to meet the minimum of 730 days of physical presence in Canada within five (5) years of the date you became a permanent resident.

I addressed your current situation, someone who has been a PR fewer than three years, so just the calendar (so to say) proves they can meet the presence obligation.

For those who have been a PR for more than three years, but "less than five," to show compliance with the RO they need the total number of days IN Canada so far, plus the number of days left on the calendar, to add up to at least 730. That means they may need to prove the number of days they have been in Canada, that they have been in Canada enough days that when added to the number of days left to the fifth year anniversary that will meet the RO.

Showing RO Compliance versus Proving RO Compliance:

@Ponga alludes to what may (or may not) be sufficient to *PROVE* RO compliance.

The language in IRCC's information, in regards to proof of RO compliance, tends to be casual, and is, thus, imprecise.

For the most part, PRs who meet the RO without relying on credit for days outside Canada do not need to worry about this; no need to wade into the weeds about what will meet PR's burden of proof as to RO compliance.

For purposes of the PR card application, in particular, the application primarily needs to SHOW the PR is in compliance, which for most means reporting (in travel history) they have spent enough days in Canada to meet the RO. As discussed above, for you (and anyone else who has been a PR less than three years), the number of days left on the calendar until the fifth year anniversary is sufficient to SHOW you are in RO compliance (as in, there are enough days left you will be able to meet the RO even if you had spent just one day in Canada so far).

And that, supported by two pieces of evidence that shows residency in Canada, is enough for most PRs. . . for PRs that IRCC does not have questions or concerns about.

If IRCC has questions or concerns about the PR's RO compliance it can require the PR to provide more information and documents, to submit enough evidence to meet the formal beyond a balance of probability standard of proving they have complied with the RO.
When one is talking about the fifth anniversary, are you referring to the fifth anniversary since one becomes a landed immigrant? Is it rather the expiration date on the first PR card?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
When one is talking about the fifth anniversary, are you referring to the fifth anniversary since one becomes a landed immigrant? Is it rather the expiration date on the first PR card?
It is the fifth anniversary of first landing. The date on the card is just the date the card itself expires.

After that (first) fifth anniversary of landing, there are no 'anniversaries' of significance - thereafter it is a rolling five year period looking back from any day of examination. That is: arrive at a port of entry, it is five years looking back. Apply for a card renewal*: five years looking back. Etc.

*A caveat here that this can get complicated, that the applicant fills out form as of date of application (signature), in some contexts IRCC will / may / may have to re-evaluate based on the five year period going back from the day they formally open the file and analyse it, etc. But for simplicity's sake, let's just say as of any date of examination (which is usually date of application).

Reactions: dpenabill
Jun 8, 2021

Hi! I have been wondering about same thing. However, I see that you can only apply through paper application. Is that correct?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes.

I ended up finding my PR card a month after at a lost & found place in my local mall, so I had to cancel the application.
Why were you carrying your PR Card in your wallet?!:eek:
I would think that most keep it in a safe place with their passport, but...perhaps not.

Frisk

Feb 19, 2016
Toronto
I would think that most keep it in a safe place with their passport, but...perhaps not.
Back then I had to deal with a lot of banking stuff, and they wouldn't let me have the good stuff (credit cards, LOC,etc.) without proving my PR status. I don't know if you've ever been to Canada with a temporary permit, but generally you're treated by any gov institution like a 2nd class citizen. Not fun.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I think that's a weird form of victim blaming - the outlier here is not someone who carries around their identification, but that IRCC uses replacement of ID as their policing mechanism for residency obligation, amongst other things, and as a result sometimes takes a long time to replace one.

Compare - in Ontario, I can and have replaced my driver's license and OHIP multiple times, online, with usually not much more than a few weeks' wait. Heck, it's generally easier to replace your passport than your PR card.

It seems to me more than anything that (because we have no choice) we've normalized IRCC's, ahem, unique approach to treating the PR card - something they are required by law to provide to PRs to show status - as also their policing and enforcement mechanism. They could separate them, but as a testament to Canada's unique and weird approach to so many things, they've decided to push the pain onto a strange pressure point.

I guess I'm sensitive to this because I lived for years in places where I was required to carry my (Canadian) passport with valid visa at all times. It was a hassle. Losing it would have been inconvenient, but usually only took about a month (and they could have provided me with an emergency replacement if really needed).

Anyway [/rant] over. Don't mean to blame you here either. But coming from lots and lots of countries where people have to carry something attesting to their 'civil status', and where you can get lots of docs and cards renewed and mailed to you with little problem, I don't think we should find it odd that people walk around with their PR cards (and sometimes lose them). Instead we've settled on a strange approach that kind-of works, but defintiely isn't the way anyone logical would design the system from scratch.*

*Okay, we're also a monarchy, and I support that, and nobody would design a system these days with a monarch, so I'm not claiming I'm consistent either. But we can rethink some of these things from time to time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Ponga

Sukhman73

Oct 29, 2019
Hi

I am in India and lost my PR card. Can I travel through USA. Is there any idea what are there requirements. Thanks

Miss bee

VIP Member
Mar 24, 2020
Hi

I am in India and lost my PR card. Can I travel through USA. Is there any idea what are there requirements. Thanks
If you have USA visa , you can fly to USA and then cross Canada through land border and show CBSA officer your COPR . They will let you in .

Reactions: armoured