+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost old Passport while new Passport covers Residency-Pls advise

MRH

Jul 4, 2014
Hello Members,

My wife and son applied end of April and they are waiting for Ecas update anytime. My wife is homemaker and son is student. When applied they provided new passport copies which covers 3 years 8 month and old passport copies which covers 4 month. They immigrated to Canada 3 years 3 month before with the new passport and has 80 days vacation after landing. Their new passport covers all the travel history from landing to the vacation trips only to home country after landing with all the entry/exit entry stamp which is the key issue for CIC.

After applying with 1101 days physical residency they went to vacation to home country and lost the old passports during traveling. They reported lost to the local police station and got the lost report though the passports are invalid/cancelled.

Please advise whether they need to inform CIC the old passport lost issue or wait till interview date? any suggestions?

Empirical-Scientist

Jun 4, 2012
MRH said:
Hello Members,

My wife and son applied end of April and they are waiting for Ecas update anytime. My wife is homemaker and son is student. When applied they provided new passport copies which covers 3 years 8 month and old passport copies which covers 4 month. They immigrated to Canada 3 years 3 month before with the new passport and has 80 days vacation after landing. Their new passport covers all the travel history from landing to the vacation trips only to home country after landing with all the entry/exit entry stamp which is the key issue for CIC.

After applying with 1101 days physical residency they went to vacation to home country and lost the old passports during traveling. They reported lost to the local police station and got the lost report.

Please advise whether they need to inform CIC the old passport lost issue or wait till interview date? any suggestions?
If any original document is missing, explain why (in writing, of course). Write a cover letter. Watch this video for more: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/multimedia/video/complete-application/complete-application.asp

MRH

Jul 4, 2014
I read in other member experiences and find CIC is mostly cares about proof of residency. Their old lost passport is outside qualifying period before landing to Canada and new passport covers all from landing visa to the travel history within the residency period. They traveled twice after landing only to home country on vacation and I hope once CIC officer will look at their new passport will find all the details including their landing stamp, exit and vacation entry and stamps.

My question is, do you think CIC will be OK with the new/present passport with all the travel history of residency period ?

Hasher

Apr 2, 2010
The question is what is your worries if your old passport doesn't cover anything, if your landing Visa is on New Passport then you are okay. They want passport(s) from Landing Visa to up to date.

MRH

Jul 4, 2014
Hasher said:
The question is what is your worries if your old passport doesn't cover anything, if your landing Visa is on New Passport then you are okay. They want passport(s) from Landing Visa to up to date.
Thanks..yes, That's true. Old passport covers before landing period. I think old passport copy was not necessary to provide with the application. Anyway, I hope CIC will find everything in current passport and will not ask to see previous..

Goldline

Mar 16, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They need all passports that covers the 4 years before application date no matter when you landed and as you said your lost passport covers the 1st 4 months so I guess it's required.

MRH

Jul 4, 2014
Goldline said:
They need all passports that covers the 4 years before application date no matter when you landed and as you said your lost passport covers the 1st 4 months so I guess it's required.
Well, as it is missing/lost, nothing can be done from our end. All we can provide them a police report copy as evidence. You are right as for law they will require old passports covering 4 years (commonly means, PR period of 4 years) but in other hand if they find new passport covers the residency period and travel history as proof of physical presence, CIC might not put lot of emphasis on old one before PR period..

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you can proof your residency from whichever passport new or old you should be fine. Certainly it would have been a red flag if you had lost the one with landing visa and travel history.

blueshirt

Apr 28, 2014
if an expired passport is lost and one did not do police report can he still do after an elapse of 1 to 2 years. or not needed for canadian citizenship form but his 4 years period is covered in that passport. is it acceptable by police to report old event

rayman_m

Feb 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Lost report should be filed with police immediately for legal protection. A lost passport may fall in wrong hand for fraudulent activities. I doubt police will entertain a lost report after 1 to 2 years. If the lost passport covers 4 years of residency CIC may like to see the police report and other proof of travel history to determine residency which could be through RQ or Non-RQ.

EdmontonM

Star Member
Mar 18, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I also lost my passport which covered residency, I had my immigration visa on it! I never left Canada after I became PR. My application is in process, but I'm afraid to be hit by an RQ.

seepen

Jul 6, 2014
I'm not sure what you're supposed to do, but I was also in the same situation and here's what happened.

I also lost my passport almost 4 years before I applied for my citizenship, in Canada. In order to get a new passport from my country's consulate, I needed to report the loss to the Vancouver Police Department. And since that happened within 4 years of the application, I just got a copy of the report and included it in the application with a letter explaining the loss.

Since I was a student at the time (and working), I had a transcript showing that I was in Canada, taking courses, during the period that the lost passport would've proved. Maybe that helped, or maybe they just trusted the report, because I had the citizenship test at the end of May and the agent that interviewed me didn't seem to have a problem with it. (She just asked "So you lost your previous passport?" to which I replied "Yes. I brought a copy of the police report with me if you don't have the copy I sent in with the application" but she said she had a copy so that was the end of that.)

And I did not get RQ.

jeune

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hello every one, I'm very glad to write in this topic and participate in this topic because I need some advices if you could help me
first of all , I'm permanent resident of Canada , I landed in Canada in June 2010 , I stayed living in Montreal till august 2011 after that I went visit my family at my back home country it was a vacation for 45 days , I came back to Canada in September 2011 and moved to Calgary , I 'm still living in Calgary . I applied for my citizenship from Calgary in September 2013 . after that I went to visit my family at my home country, it was in October 2013 . I stayed in my home country till march 2014 it was long visit because my mom was sick. unfortunately , during my last visit to my country I lost all of my documents including my PR card , my social insurance number , my master card , my debit card , my Canadian driving license , my passport , my medical card and some other documents. I went to the police station in my country and I got a report that I lost all of my documents that was in February 2014, I applied for travel document to come back to Canada and I got it in march 2014, so I have now new passport of my country it is issued in February 2014 and I was lucky to come back to Canada in march 2014. when I came to Canada they sent me Rq in march 2014 and I filled it out and sent it to Cic in April 2014 , they needed it maximum 1 month to send it. but they need my old passport with stamps that I lost it but I sent with Rq some support document like police report from my home country, my medical report , my flights tickets, my study course record , taxes assessment and some other documents. my time line is application sent September 2013 , started processing January 2014 , Rq received march 2014 , Rq sent April 2014 . I'm now 21 month ago when I applied , I called Cic and they told me that I'm non routine application 36 month. I got cbsa report 2 month ago and some other documents to proof my residence in Canada from June 2010 till September 2013, I got some other documents from airlines company , my travel record from home country and I will send all of these document to support my file.
I would like to ask some questions
1 - lost of passport can affect my file and get refuse ? I tried to get all of documents to verify and prove my residence in Canada and I'm honest and truthful

2- I will be 36 month non routine application in September 2016 till this time I think I will meet with the Calgary judge but if I will pass the exam and the judge doesn't accept all of this proof and he refused my application what procedure can I take , I just expect the worst scenario?
3 proof like ( police report from my country , air line tickets , cbsa report, medical record , taxes report, study record, travel record from my home country, t4 , t5,lease of rent, bank statement , credit statements) all of these documents are not enough to convince cic officer or agent and the judge?
4- what I could do in case of the judge will refuse my application ? I should apply with the new law after 4 years?
I will be glad if you will answer me and give me some advices , I'm very patient and very glad to see your replies
kind regards

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same situation here. I lost the passport that covers only the first two months of the 4 years period. I applied in March 2015 and my current passport (which includes the immigration visa and the landing stamp) was issues in May 2011. I didn't even care to report its loss since it was expired anyway and didn't think I'll need it again. Not sure what will happen but there's really nothing I can do now.