+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Lost old Passport while new Passport covers Residency-Pls advise

TomTony

Star Member
Apr 14, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jeune said:
hello every one, I'm very glad to write in this topic and participate in this topic because I need some advices if you could help me
first of all , I'm permanent resident of Canada , I landed in Canada in June 2010 , I stayed living in Montreal till august 2011 after that I went visit my family at my back home country it was a vacation for 45 days , I came back to Canada in September 2011 and moved to Calgary , I 'm still living in Calgary . I applied for my citizenship from Calgary in September 2013 . after that I went to visit my family at my home country, it was in October 2013 . I stayed in my home country till march 2014 it was long visit because my mom was sick. unfortunately , during my last visit to my country I lost all of my documents including my PR card , my social insurance number , my master card , my debit card , my Canadian driving license , my passport , my medical card and some other documents. I went to the police station in my country and I got a report that I lost all of my documents that was in February 2014, I applied for travel document to come back to Canada and I got it in march 2014, so I have now new passport of my country it is issued in February 2014 and I was lucky to come back to Canada in march 2014. when I came to Canada they sent me Rq in march 2014 and I filled it out and sent it to Cic in April 2014 , they needed it maximum 1 month to send it. but they need my old passport with stamps that I lost it but I sent with Rq some support document like police report from my home country, my medical report , my flights tickets, my study course record , taxes assessment and some other documents. my time line is application sent September 2013 , started processing January 2014 , Rq received march 2014 , Rq sent April 2014 . I'm now 21 month ago when I applied , I called Cic and they told me that I'm non routine application 36 month. I got cbsa report 2 month ago and some other documents to proof my residence in Canada from June 2010 till September 2013, I got some other documents from airlines company , my travel record from home country and I will send all of these document to support my file.
I would like to ask some questions
1 - lost of passport can affect my file and get refuse ? I tried to get all of documents to verify and prove my residence in Canada and I'm honest and truthful

2- I will be 36 month non routine application in September 2016 till this time I think I will meet with the Calgary judge but if I will pass the exam and the judge doesn't accept all of this proof and he refused my application what procedure can I take , I just expect the worst scenario?
3 proof like ( police report from my country , air line tickets , cbsa report, medical record , taxes report, study record, travel record from my home country, t4 , t5,lease of rent, bank statement , credit statements) all of these documents are not enough to convince cic officer or agent and the judge?
4- what I could do in case of the judge will refuse my application ? I should apply with the new law after 4 years?
I will be glad if you will answer me and give me some advices , I'm very patient and very glad to see your replies
kind regards
1- lost passport can affect your file and make it a non routine process, but it will NOT cause your application get refused.
2- The judge will not refuse your application, please make sure during the hearing you don't change your words and what you have stated in your application.
3- The documents you have provided are very good to support your application, but your application is just a non routine application and it may take up to 36 months...
4- The judge will not refuse your application! Don't change your words, say exactly what you have said in the application.
Have you requested ATIP? Have you contacted your local MP?

I wish you a good luck.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
asaif said:
Same situation here. I lost the passport that covers only the first two months of the 4 years period. I applied in March 2015 and my current passport (which includes the immigration visa and the landing stamp) was issues in May 2011. I didn't even care to report its loss since it was expired anyway and didn't think I'll need it again. Not sure what will happen but there's really nothing I can do now.
Did you mention in the application or cover letter that the expired passport (which covers your two months of previous 4 years) has been lost? Did you have the old photocopy of biographical pages and did you send it along with your application?
The instruction guide clearly states to explain if the documents are no longer in your possession.

If not, during interview what will you tell the citizenship officer when he will ask you for that passport?

Ronaldo Da Lima 89

Star Member
Aug 2, 2014
If you did not send a cover letter explaining your situation, do it now and as soon as possible. Otherwise, 99% you will get RQ and your file would become non routine that would take upto 36 months!

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
Did you mention in the application or cover letter that the expired passport (which covers your two months of previous 4 years) has been lost? Did you have the old photocopy of biographical pages and did you send it along with your application?
The instruction guide clearly states to explain if the documents are no longer in your possession.

If not, during interview what will you tell the citizenship officer when he will ask you for that passport?
I realized that the passport was missing only a few weeks ago, after my application went "In Process", when I wanted to check if the stamps in the passport need translation. I had a scanned copy of the biographical pages which I used for the application. I'm currently trying to look for the passport. If I don't find it before the test I'll simply tell the officer that it is lost and see what happens.

keesio

VIP Member
May 16, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-01-2013
Doc's Request.
09-07-2013
AOR Received.
30-01-2013
File Transfer...
11-02-2013
Med's Done....
02-01-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
12-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
15-08-2013
LANDED..........
14-10-2013
When I applied, I just provided a copy of my current passport that covered my last 4 years at the time. It is the same passport that had my PR visa and the passport that I landed in Canada with when I became a PR. All was good (no RQ, fast timeline). When I got called to the interview, I brought that passport but also I brought the one before it just in case. At the interview, the interviewer asked for my passport and I gave her my current one. Then she asked me if I had my old passport before this one. I did and she remarked "I don't have a copy of this one" so she went off and made a copy of it. I wasn't sure why she needed that old one since it is older than 4 years from when I applied. But I didn't argue and kept quiet. Anyway after interview I got my oath letter and all was good. I'm not sure what would have happened that day if I didn't have my old passport with me. Maybe nothing but she did ask for it so who knows. Just something to keep in mind.

jeune

Star Member
Oct 23, 2009
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
TomTony said:
1- lost passport can affect your file and make it a non routine process, but it will NOT cause your application get refused.
2- The judge will not refuse your application, please make sure during the hearing you don't change your words and what you have stated in your application.
3- The documents you have provided are very good to support your application, but your application is just a non routine application and it may take up to 36 months...
4- The judge will not refuse your application! Don't change your words, say exactly what you have said in the application.
Have you requested ATIP? Have you contacted your local MP?

I wish you a good luck.
thank you for your replay tom tony . i'm very glad to see that. i'm honnest and truthful and i cant chang any word .
yes i requested atip? but how can i contact member of parliment? i didnt contact my local mp > can u please send me how to contact with local mp?

asaif

Sep 3, 2010
London, ON
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Fortunately, after a few hours of intensive search, my father was able to find the missing passport in his house. He took it before I traveled to Canada for some official business and forgot to return it to me, and I forgot that I gave the passport to him. He will send it to me tomorrow. What a relief :)