+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Longer than 1 year

Yuyu889988

Apr 25, 2018
Who knows. It could be a long time. The fact that he is also a refugee will also raise concerns about your marriage unless he has been granted the right to stay in Germany forever. Don't think you can place a timeline on a case like yours.
Who knows. It could be a long time. The fact that he is also a refugee will also raise concerns about your marriage unless he has been granted the right to stay in Germany forever. Don't think you can place a timeline on a case like yours.
He has been there for 3 years and has a at least another 2 years. He could have married a German if it was just for status would have been an easier and faster choice .seems the relationship aspect has already been assessed. Is the security not mandatory? He had security checks when claiming refugee status so i feel that should help. At this point im unsure of what anything means and i am over the whole waiting game. I no longer keep my hopes up.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
He has been there for 3 years and has a at least another 2 years. He could have married a German if it was just for status would have been an easier and faster choice .seems the relationship aspect has already been assessed. Is the security not mandatory? He had security checks when claiming refugee status so i feel that should help. At this point im unsure of what anything means and i am over the whole waiting game. I no longer keep my hopes up.
In any situation where the spouse doesn't have permanent resident status there is always a concern that the relationship is driven by immigration. I assume that this may have been a long distance relationship and perhaps even an arranged marriage so the combination just leads to more scrutiny snd likely an interview. Since Germany did the security screening it will not help the Canadian screening. Seems like you are divorced so that also may raise another red flag because in some communities many men would not consider a divorcee for their first marriage (don't agree with this but just a fact). Canada has to try and determine whether relationships are genuine because some aren't. Canada has to also wait to hear from other governments which also leads two a lot of delays. Assume you may be a previous refugee if you have a legal aid debt. Unfortunately an over one year processing time should have ben expected. How much time have you spent together? This is one of the trade-offs that comes with marrying someone from abroad even if you were born in Canada. It has only just been 1 year so hopefully he will here soon. The best thing you can both do is both continue to work and build your finances and work experiences, visit each other in person if possible and just wait.

Yuyu889988

Apr 25, 2018
In any situation where the spouse doesn't have permanent resident status there is always a concern that the relationship is driven by immigration. I assume that this may have been a long distance relationship and perhaps even an arranged marriage so the combination just leads to more scrutiny snd likely an interview. Since Germany did the security screening it will not help the Canadian screening. Seems like you are divorced so that also may raise another red flag because in some communities many men would not consider a divorcee for their first marriage (don't agree with this but just a fact). Canada has to try and determine whether relationships are genuine because some aren't. Canada has to also wait to hear from other governments which also leads two a lot of delays. Assume you may be a previous refugee if you have a legal aid debt. Unfortunately an over one year processing time should have ben expected. How much time have you spent together? This is one of the trade-offs that comes with marrying someone from abroad even if you were born in Canada. It has only just been 1 year so hopefully he will here soon. The best thing you can both do is both continue to work and build your finances and work experiences, visit each other in person if possible and just wait.
I took all of these things into consideration, we have been together 4 years by choice. Legal aid debts dont harm the application as they were for my divorce i am a born and raised canadian. I used a representative for all these reasons. Like i said if the relationship was not genuine he could have married a German instead of gambling with such a long and difficult process. Nothing would be a shock to me ( if they request an interview) we are ready for anything requested from us. We just want that request to be made. I dont think there is a problem with marrying a divorced woman, its 2019 not 1970. I work and have a good education the only thing missing in my life is him.

Reactions: Brown_Sugar

woyaodeshihulu

May 25, 2018
She received pre-arrival services in Feb so I guess visa officer has little doubt about their relationship in their application, the only concern is his refugee background that is why the security check takes some time?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I took all of these things into consideration, we have been together 4 years by choice.

Didn't criticize your relationship just commenting on the reasons why you should have been prepared for a long wait time.

Legal aid debts dont harm the application as they were for my divorce i am a born and raised canadian.

Didn't say that legal aid debt would have negative effects on your application although if you qualified for legal aid there would may have been a concern about your financial status st the time but things change in 4 years.

I used a representative for all these reasons. Like i said if the relationship was not genuine he could have married a German instead of gambling with such a long and difficult process.

If he married a German there would have likely been similar scrutiny of your application or even more. Failed asylum applicants get lots of scrutiny of their application when they marry someone in Canada. Although your husband isn't a failed asylum seeker but he doesn't have the ability to stay permanently in Germany.

Nothing would be a shock to me ( if they request an interview) we are ready for anything requested from us. We just want that request to be made. I dont think there is a problem with marrying a divorced woman, its 2019 not 1970.

Unfortunately not much more common than you think it in a variety of conservative communities living in Canada or abroad.

I work and have a good education the only thing missing in my life is him.
Wish you the best. You have the ability to go stay with your husband as a Canadian citizen although chances are that you may be the main breadwinner so that may not be possible. Just reacting to the fact that you seem to feel like the waiting period indicates that you will be refused it is just because of the complexities of your case. Your consultant should have warned you to anticipate a longer processing time.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
She received pre-arrival services in Feb so I guess visa officer has little doubt about their relationship in their application, the only concern is his refugee background that is why the security check takes some time?
Not criticizing the relationship. Given the situation and the country of origin a longer than a year should have been anticipated.