+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA processing time - Alberta

Cjr101

Nov 26, 2014
I received a job offer, contract and my name was put on the LMIA list of my employer at the end of October 2014
I submitted my work visa application online on Nov 7th, then on the 13th of jan received an email requesting a federal police check (Australia), submitted that the same day I received the email and haven't heard anything since, its been over 11 weeks now and still heard nothing.
Its a loooong time to wait for sure but I am just 1 of thousands of people applying to immigration, I definatly assumed mine would be approved somewhat fast as I have an employer with an open LMIA, im a qualified tradesman for the job, no criminal convictions or health problems.

dotpat17

Oct 27, 2014
Cjr101 said:
I received a job offer, contract and my name was put on the LMIA list of my employer at the end of October 2014
I submitted my work visa application online on Nov 7th, then on the 13th of jan received an email requesting a federal police check (Australia), submitted that the same day I received the email and haven't heard anything since, its been over 11 weeks now and still heard nothing.
Its a loooong time to wait for sure but I am just 1 of thousands of people applying to immigration, I definatly assumed mine would be approved somewhat fast as I have an employer with an open LMIA, im a qualified tradesman for the job, no criminal convictions or health problems.
G'day mate - come across your post. I am going through a similar thing. I had a lawyer explain it all to me, so ill share some infor..
from what i gather i was told that if you have recieved a positive LMIA, then as an Aussie, you can enter the country without a visa as Aussies can get a work permit at port of entry as we fall under the commonwealth. you just have to show your lmia letter, police checks, few other things i reckon.then they issue you a work permit there as you have proof you have fulltime employment. you can apply for PR now or when your there.

Mines bit different - Got a job offer, signed contract etc. company had to file for LMIA approval before i can enter country. So waiting for my LMIA really! Since october!!

take it easy..

Cjr101

Nov 26, 2014
Hey mate thanks for the info
I've never heard that option before but in saying that it does make sense for sure.
My only problem with that is that the open LMIA the employer had expired in November 15th so that's why I had to get my application in before that (7th of November) so even though i got myself on file before the expiry date I don't think it will look the same through the eyes of immigration at the port of entry even though everything is on computer in front of them haha.
I'll definitely look into it though,
What immigration lawyer dos you use??

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
dotpat17 said:
G'day mate - come across your post. I am going through a similar thing. I had a lawyer explain it all to me, so ill share some infor..
from what i gather i was told that if you have recieved a positive LMIA, then as an Aussie, you can enter the country without a visa as Aussies can get a work permit at port of entry as we fall under the commonwealth. you just have to show your lmia letter, police checks, few other things i reckon.then they issue you a work permit there as you have proof you have fulltime employment. you can apply for PR now or when your there.

Mines bit different - Got a job offer, signed contract etc. company had to file for LMIA approval before i can enter country. So waiting for my LMIA really! Since october!!

take it easy..
Anyone who doesn't need a visa can get a work permit at the port of entry, not just commonwealth countries.
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=171&t=30

dotpat17

Oct 27, 2014
Cjr101 said:
Hey mate thanks for the info
I've never heard that option before but in saying that it does make sense for sure.
My only problem with that is that the open LMIA the employer had expired in November 15th so that's why I had to get my application in before that (7th of November) so even though i got myself on file before the expiry date I don't think it will look the same through the eyes of immigration at the port of entry even though everything is on computer in front of them haha.
I'll definitely look into it though,
What immigration lawyer dos you use??
Hey mate - It was the company who hired a lawyer to take care of it. Hit up your employer and see what they can do. Or could try searching for some online who offer the assistance maybe which they can offer a better explanation.

manu.chan

Star Member
Mar 21, 2014
Hi guys...
update after 4 months...

They want the full details of the foreign workers who previously worked with my company...they want their payroll details, and their current status...

Second thing they are saying is to keep running the advertisement
and try hiring canadians.

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
Cjr101 said:
doesn't need a visa?,
This immigration thing is so f @ #king confusing haha
Yes, visa and work permit are not the same thing. And there is no such a thing as "work visa".
Check glossary to understand better:
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/glossary.asp#v

johnny123

Aug 18, 2012
Visa Office......
CPC-Ottawa
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
18-10-2016
Med's Done....
10-12-2016 passed
Passport Req..
25-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
13-02-2017
LANDED..........
19-04-2017
manu.chan said:
Hi guys...
update after 4 months...

They want the full details of the foreign workers who previously worked with my company...they want their payroll details, and their current status...

Second thing they are saying is to keep running the advertisement
and try hiring canadians.
Pitty! What's your NOC and where are you located?

Cjr101

Nov 26, 2014
So in short,
If the company that's employing me has a positive open LMIA and my name has been added to the "list" and I am qualified for that job, have a signed contract/LMIA from the employer, no Heath issues and no criminal convictions then I can show up at a port of entry and be issued a work permit then and there??
I never knew that was possible so I have applied for a work permit already and it's taking soooooooooo long!!

ButterflyChemist

Jun 24, 2014
Cjr101 said:
So in short,
If the company that's employing me has a positive open LMIA and my name has been added to the "list" and I am qualified for that job, have a signed contract/LMIA from the employer, no Heath issues and no criminal convictions then I can show up at a port of entry and be issued a work permit then and there??
I never knew that was possible so I have applied for a work permit already and it's taking soooooooooo long!!
Actually no. It's not that simple. You have to have a passport from a visa exempt country. If you need a visa to enter Canada you must apply from your home country. Furthermore do you think they will just accept your word that you have no criminal record or health issues? Processing times vary from country to country but be patient, it will come.

Cjr101

Nov 26, 2014
I have a valid passport and have already submitted a clean federal police check..
I have already participated in the IEC before and have worked 1.5 years in my trade that I'm being employed for in Canada already.
I honestly think my case is simple.