+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA needed for PGWP Holders within Canda for EE

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
mf4361 said:
If LMIA is required for all PGWP, this makes new grads virtually competing with foreign workers (usually with many years of experiences) Like @ Nick~Nick says, requiring LMIA for new grads are unfair as most of them are entry level jobs. From a policy perspective, it's like Canada is abandoning people who are already in Canada (Not only PGWP, also ICT, IEC, etc.) and opt for people who've never been here, which breaks the whole point of having CEC in the first place.

That's my opinion.
I'm not sensing much confusion in this room, but I am sensing a lot of denial. I went through the new Ministerial Instructions for EE and the Regulations they refer to, regarding a "qualifying job offer" and I'm afraid it is true: new grads WILL need an LMIA to get the 600 points.

It does not matter that PGWP's were exempt from LMIA's in the past. Under the new instructions for EE, which take effect Jan. 1st 2015, an LMIA (or provincial nomination) will be required of anyone in order to get the 600 points.

There's a lot of crying about this not being fair to new grads and how Canada is abandoning them. This is a lot of cra.p, usually made up by none other than the new grads themselves, with an interest in this not being so. Canada never abandoned the new grads because Canada never promised these people permanent residence. The new grads came here as foreign students and their status was just that, a non-immigrant foreign student status. They made the decision to come here and spend their money. Nobody forced them to do that.

New Grads: Canada owes you nothing. You paid tuition money and got an education for it. As for permanent residence, the rules for getting it are the same for you as for anybody else who is "on the outside" (meaning, not a permanent resident). A new grad is still a foreign national and as such, his/her employment in Canada must be checked with an LMIA to make sure that it's not a job that could be filled by a Canadian citizen or permanent resident. THAT is fairness, and it's how it should be. It's how it is in the more mature nations: UK, USA, Switzerland, etc.

Foreign grads are still foreign nationals (in legal status, not in their heads) and the Government of Canada must look out for the interests of Canadians first. An LMIA is essentially the government's way of making sure foreign nationals (which includes the new grads) are not taking up employment that could be filled by a Canadian citizen or PR.

kiran_6sb

Star Member
Nov 16, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Guys ,

I have called CIC 2 hours back to check regarding LMIA for PGWP holders... The agent I called wasnt having a good idea about what I was asking so he contacted his colleagues and later on he read the same info thats on website ,that everyone needs an LMIA to get 600 points.

But what I understand from this post on CIC website is ,not only the PGWP holders.. all the people who apply under CEC doesnt require LMIA .They just have to have full time permanent job under skilled to get 600 points .

A job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment must

For Federal Skilled Worker Program
be permanent, non-seasonal and full time, and
be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list.
For Federal Skilled Trades Program
be for at least one year of full-time work,
be Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades) in one of the eligible occupations, and
have wages and working conditions comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the occupation.
Note: For the FSTP, the employment offer can be made by up to two employers.
For Canadian Experience Class (not required but applicants can get extra points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for a job offer)
be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list.

I have spoken to my friend who works in an immigration law firm ..he showed this statement to his colleages and even they say the same ..that we can get 600 points without LMIA

marcus66502

Dec 18, 2013
kiran_6sb said:
Hello Guys ,

I have called CIC 2 hours back to check regarding LMIA for PGWP holders... The agent I called wasnt having a good idea about what I was asking so he contacted his colleagues and later on he read the same info thats on website ,that everyone needs an LMIA to get 600 points.

But what I understand from this post on CIC website is ,not only the PGWP holders.. all the people who apply under CEC doesnt require LMIA .They just have to have full time permanent job under skilled to get 600 points .

A job offer supported by a Labour Market Impact Assessment must

For Federal Skilled Worker Program
For Federal Skilled Trades Program
be for at least one year of full-time work,
be Skill Level B (technical occupations and skilled trades) in one of the eligible occupations, and
have wages and working conditions comparable to those offered to Canadians working in the occupation.
Note: For the FSTP, the employment offer can be made by up to two employers.
For Canadian Experience Class (not required but applicants can get extra points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for a job offer)

I have spoken to my friend who works in an immigration law firm ..he showed this statement to his colleages and even they say the same ..that we can get 600 points without LMIA
Did I understand you correctly? A CIC Call Centre agent told you that everyone applying through EE will need an LMIA to get the 600 points, but you don't believe that and instead you believe your friend who works in an immigration law firm. .... Yea, you're cut out for immigration.

Best of luck to you when you apply!

nov1061

Champion Member
Mar 25, 2012
marcus66502 said:
Did I understand you correctly? A CIC Call Centre agent told you that everyone applying through EE will need an LMIA to get the 600 points, but you don't believe that and instead you believe your friend who works in an immigration law firm. .... Yea, you're cut out for immigration.

Hi,
please don't rely on what the call center people say. Believe me, some of them have no clue what they're talking about.

wmanasse

Nov 26, 2014
I am working in Canada on a post-graduation work permit. Do I need a Labour Market Opinion (LMO)?

Yes. If you are currently working in Canada on a post-graduation work permit, the employer who has offered you a permanent position will need to get a Labour Market Opinion from HRSDC to support your FSWP application, even if you are already working for them. Please check the HRSDC website for more details.

vivmehta

Jan 8, 2013
Harmanjot said:
For Canadian Experience Class (not required but applicants can get extra points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for a job offer) ◦be permanent, non-seasonal and full time, and
◦be Skill Type 0 (managerial occupations) or Skill Level A (professional occupations) or B (technical occupations and skilled trades) on the Canadian National Occupational Classification (NOC) list.

We don't need LMIA that is for sure. On CIC website they also mentioned that if you had LMIA you will receive extra points

So that means we will get 600 points regardless if we get LMIA or not ?

What does it mean by For Canadian Experience Class (not required but applicants can get extra points under the Comprehensive Ranking System for a job offer)

I am Currently working in NOC 1212 i have permenenet job but my employer refused for LMIA.

Thanks
Harman

Alimoh

Star Member
Jun 4, 2014
All PGWPs sign this petitiion:

https://www.change.org/p/citizenship-and-immigration-canada-candidates-on-open-work-permits-and-working-in-canada-need-more-visibility-in-express-entry-system

arajat

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
I'm on pgwp got my application returned today which was rec nov17 in Sydney noc 0 management occupation for 8000 cap being reached....it sucks I applied for express entry today 430 points ridiculous because I work full time manager for bell, I wonder what will happen now ? Any suggestions comments

arajat

Star Member
Feb 2, 2015
No 600 points without lmia I am with bell canada manager I only got 430 today as I applied I have a valid job letter and work full time...this is bad :-X

arpitdalal

Feb 5, 2015
Hello Expert,

I am on PGWP and have full time permanent job. My NOC code is 2173 (Software Engineer and Designer). My WP expires in November 2015. I complete my one year Canadian Experience on September 24 2015. My company doesn't intend to undergo LMIA as it was jeopardize there existing process from getting foreign worker through Intra-Company-Transfer(ICT). I was reading on CIC ICT is exempted from LMIA.

Now my points in new system are just 460/1200.If I complete one year experience in Sept 2015, my points would be raised by 40 making it 500. But still I can't apply directly under CEC. I have to go through EE which mean, I need to first be short listed from EE pool to apply for CEC and to come out of EE pool I need to have additional 600 point. I think EE to be is an additional layer over and above previously existing system. Correct me if my understanding is incorrect.

Next option was to apply for Provincial Nominee Program. I downloaded the pre-screen application form for Employers. I was shocked to see the document list. It has twice the documentation compared to LMIA.
The document list includes:
1.Income Statement Information and Accounting Practicioner Information for past 3 years or company's financial statement signed by a C.A,C.M.A or C.G.A
2.Proof of Premises
3.Proof of recruitment efforts

In my opinion these documents are confidential and company would be reluctant to share. I think PNP is lengthy and again dependent on Employer as first Employer needs to clear the pre screen assessment and then only applicant can apply. Correct me here if I am wrong.

So is there any way I can extend my work permit without LMIA? Extending my work permit is my priority :(

Secondly, I read somewhere, there are some occupation for which company do not not require advertising or recruitment. Is this correct?
If so please tell me know which are the occupations which has this exemption and want would be LMIA process in this case?
Please advice.

Thanks.

vipsv

Star Member
Jun 3, 2013
marcus66502 said:

Sir, I finally got ITA with a Pgwp and full time job offer without LMIA.. I had 979 points. Now let me give you all the answers you need from a international student (soon to be PR).
Yes we come here for study,and nobody forced us to come here and pay for the fees.. But guess what we supported this country with our 10 biilion dollars.
We paid taxes, we made friends and we made connections. The new buildings you are seeing in Toronto's universities some how supported by international students. We accounted for 20% students in UOFT.

We never asked for guaranteed PR, we only asked for fair chance. IF there are 3 Canadians and one international student competing for a job, we asked for fair interview process. We never asked for a PR without job or experience. We worked hard for 4 years, made this country our home. As for me, i spent 5 years and i am 25 years old, so i spent my 1/5th of my life here. We opened business here. Please go check Pacific mall in Toronto, we have many shops owned by international students.
And we all are not same, about 1/4th of international students go back to their countries after graduation. We are part of this community which makes it look young, productive.
And yes, please go to some night clubs in montreal,vancover and toronto to see who we are and how much Canadians we have become..

Your Welcome

dukhi

Champion Member
Jun 14, 2013
vipsv said:
Sir, I finally got ITA with a Pgwp and full time job offer without LMIA.. I had 979 points. Now let me give you all the answers you need from a international student (soon to be PR).
Yes we come here for study,and nobody forced us to come here and pay for the fees.. But guess what we supported this country with our 10 biilion dollars.
We paid taxes, we made friends and we made connections. The new buildings you are seeing in Toronto's universities some how supported by international students. We accounted for 20% students in UOFT.

We never asked for guaranteed PR, we only asked for fair chance. IF there are 3 Canadians and one international student competing for a job, we asked for fair interview process. We never asked for a PR without job or experience. We worked hard for 4 years, made this country our home. As for me, i spent 5 years and i am 25 years old, so i spent my 1/5th of my life here. We opened business here. Please go check Pacific mall in Toronto, we have many shops owned by international students.
And we all are not same, about 1/4th of international students go back to their countries after graduation. We are part of this community which makes it look young, productive.
And yes, please go to some night clubs in montreal,vancover and toronto to see who we are and how much Canadians we have become..

Your Welcome
How did you got 979 points without lmia? I assume no pnp is working right now