+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA needed for PGWP Holders within Canda for EE

CEC321

Dec 3, 2014
for those who have been working on a full-time permanent skilled positions, on their PGWP, and their work permit is still valid, do they need to get positive LMIA for those 600 points?

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
ngelsa said:
EE is just an express way for Canada to attract and select the best of the best candidates out of the pool of eligible people, so I am not surprised if the system favours those who have years of experience in skilled jobs and core competencies to excel in Canada.

On the other hand, I think people forget that traditional programs still exist and is not being removed, so if you do not qualify for EE you can still apply for a PR through many other means.

And for Fresh Grads, as long as your job is skilled (NOC O, A or B) and have at least 1 year of experience you are good. In addition, if you need to extend your PGWP before you obtain your PR then you will require to have a positive LMIA to do so anyway, so my advice to PGWP holders is: obtain a skilled job, not just any job and be ready to submit your application before your PGWP runs out; otherwise, it will turn into an extremely tedious and insane process that I had been through.
PGWP is a once in a life time permit. If you extend it, that's not a PGWP anymore that just a temporary work permit. That's why LMO is not exempted.

What do you mean by traditional programs? CEC/FSW/FST are all behind EE. One way is to look for PNP of course but that's not an easy task either.

It is perfectly possible that Canada doesn't want international graduates to stay anymore. (I remember when they ban 6 NOC codes in CEC, people were furious) In that case, call me an angry bird.

ngelsa

Dec 4, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-O
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Sept 18, 2014 (PNP)
Doc's Request.
May 4, 2015 (EE) / June 11, 2015 (PNP)
Nomination.....
Sept 12, 2014 (SINP)
AOR Received.
Feb 18, 2015 (EE) / Feb 16, 2015 (PNP)
IELTS Request
CELPIP submitted with both EE and PNP applications
Med's Request
March 6, 2015 (PNP)
Med's Done....
Feb 6, 2015
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
Jul 15, 2015 (EE)
LANDED..........
Aug 26, 2015 (EE)
mf4361 said:
PGWP is a once in a life time permit. If you extend it, that's not a PGWP anymore that just a temporary work permit. That's why LMO is not exempted.

What do you mean by traditional programs? CEC/FSW/FST are all behind EE. One way is to look for PNP of course but that's not an easy task either.

It is perfectly possible that Canada doesn't want international graduates to stay anymore. (I remember when they ban 6 NOC codes in CEC, people were furious) In that case, call me an angry bird.
I didn't notice they are moving those programs to EE. For some reason I keep thinking EE is just an add on to those programs.

PGWP, unless they have changed it, can be extended if your initial PGWP is less than 3 years. I was once a PGWP holder and I did just that because my first PGWP was only valid for 2 years then I extended it by another year. It was back in 2011. By 2012 I had to renew it again and of course I did not qualify to extend my PGWP anymore, so lucky enough I got my employer to obtain a positive labour market opinion (what they call LMIA now). My employer did not have to proves his recruitment efforts because I was a PGWP holder (not sure if this is the case now). Anyway, my positive LMO came through and I was able to obtain a Closed Work Permit (one that is bound to the company). Thus, if you are a PGWP and the rules didn't change for PGWP holder and LMIA, it maybe wise to get your employer started on the LMIA process to secure one for your future work permit / EE PR application.

EE runs a point system, I think you can still do with PGWP but you will be missing on the 600 points that the arrange employment (with LMIA) gives you, so chances are you will not be invited for awhile given many PNP Nominess are also eligible for EE and they have an extra 600 points advantage.

From what I remember, when CEC was first introduced it was mainly designed for those who has education and work experience in Canada and people can still apply without a job offer as long as their work experience are obtained in Canada within the year they submit their application (or something similar).

The labour market is constantly changing, and I really am not surprised that Canada bans or modifies any requirements or NOC codes especially if those codes are NOC B levels. I have been through there myself and have gone through many red tapes, so I totally understand how frustrated it is. But in the end I think I kind of grew used to the constantly changing rules.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
1. The only case I've heard PGWP can be extended is one issued up to the expiry date of passport. e.g. Your passport is about to expire in 2 years and you are entitled for 3 year PGWP, CIC cannot issue a work permit beyond the expiry date. But you can get the remaining PGWP time back by extension. If you are not in that kind of situation, I would be very interested to know how.

2. Straight-up CEC is up to 31 Dec 2014. Beyond this, CEC must be applied through EE.

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
ngelsa said:
On the other hand, I think people forget that traditional programs still exist and is not being removed, so if you do not qualify for EE you can still apply for a PR through many other means.
I think the only other two ways to apply will be through PNP or Family Class.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/department/media/notices/2014-12-01.asp#4

1. What is Express Entry and how does it work?

Express Entry is a new way of managing applications in a number of existing economic immigration programs:

Federal Skilled Worker Program,
Federal Skilled Trades Program, and
Canadian Experience Class.

I can't think of any other streams besides those 3, PNP and Family sponsorship?

People wanting to apply through those 3 streams listed will have to go through the EE system after January 2015. They will not accept paper applications for those streams after that date and in order to apply on-line you must have a ITA from EE.

This new system will do a few things. It should significantly speed up the PR application process for people who have a high chance of settling. It should also help Canada bring or keep potential immigrants here that will help the economy without taking jobs away from people who are already Canadian Citizens.

benzylamine

Star Member
Nov 5, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
for my understanding, you can apply PNP program, it is out of EE, so if you want to get extra 600 points, you can just apply for PNP, it will not require to get LMO from employer, I just got supported from my employer to apply for PNP, why you guys are worried to get LMO? anyone can explain? thank you

Nick~Nick

Dec 20, 2013
benzylamine said:
for my understanding, you can apply PNP program, it is out of EE, so if you want to get extra 600 points, you can just apply for PNP, it will not require to get LMO from employer, I just got supported from my employer to apply for PNP, why you guys are worried to get LMO? anyone can explain? thank you
I am new here, I am just thinking right now about FSW, I have PGWP with full till job offer...
and you saying for PNP we don't need LMO/LMIA ? If its right, can you explain little more about PNP requirements ?
Thank You!

Reactions: WhatTheFCan

kvn

Star Member
Jan 9, 2014
Nick~Nick said:
I am new here, I am just thinking right now about FSW, I have PGWP with full till job offer...
and you saying for PNP we don't need LMO/LMIA ? If its right, can you explain little more about PNP requirements ?
Thank You!
depends on which province you are in, the requirements might differ.

For Ontario: http://www.ontarioimmigration.ca/OI/en/pnp/OI_PNPSTUDENTS_JOB.html

Part of the reason why PNP doesn't need LMIA is because the job offers need to be approved by the government as well.

Edit: Also the limit for 2014 is 2500 nominations for international students.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Nick~Nick said:
Thank You!
the 600 points can be award by a permanent job, or province nomination.

PNP nomination obviously depends on the requirements of each province. It could be worse than CEC or better than CEC. For example, SINP (Sask PNP) Requires LMIA, and an approval letter from the province.

Provinces can use the EE pool and hand pick people for nomination. But for people who applied to a province and get nominated, I don't know what is going on for them. I think there are some threads on this forum discussing about it.

Mbgirlfriend

Nov 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 19, 2015
AOR Received.
July 9, 2015
Med's Request
January 19, 2016
Med's Done....
February 1,2016
Passport Req..
April 15,2016
VISA ISSUED...
April 27,2016
LANDED..........
April 28,2016
mf4361 said:

I don't think they want to take the chance away from people who have education here getting PR. But, I also think they don't want people to basically buy their way into Canada by paying for some education here then expecting to get PR and take jobs away from Canadians. If that means giving PR faster to people outside of Canada with years of experience in a job that there is a lot of openings in over someone who is going to graduate at the same time as as a lot of Canadian's in a field with less job opportunities then that is what they have to do. Its what makes the most sense economically and what is fair to Canadian's.

I understand this is very frustrating for people who are already here, have made connections and want to stay. It may just take more waiting and more jumping through hoops for some people with the new system.

Mario_AB

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
while going through all the discussion there is alot of discussion/assumption on requirement of LMIA for workers who are on PGWP. CIC information is not yet more clearer about the exemption or requirement for LMIA in case of PGWP.
let say if PGWP candidate needs LMIA from employer with a job offer the maximum points allotted for that case would be 600 points.
Does that mean a worker who is on PGWP without LMIA but having a valid job offer is gonna get 0 points.
i am not quiet sure but there is a possibility that PGWP can get some points out of those 600 in case he/she does have a job offer without LMIA.

share your opinion

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Mario_AB said:
while going through all the discussion there is alot of discussion/assumption on requirement of LMIA for workers who are on PGWP. CIC information is not yet more clearer about the exemption or requirement for LMIA in case of PGWP.
let say if PGWP candidate needs LMIA from employer with a job offer the maximum points allotted for that case would be 600 points.
Does that mean a worker who is on PGWP without LMIA but having a valid job offer is gonna get 0 points.
i am not quiet sure but there is a possibility that PGWP can get some points out of those 600 in case he/she does have a job offer without LMIA.

share your opinion
By the wording in the Gazette, it looks like the 600 points are either 600 or 0, no intermediate or partial points. The confusion point (and arguments) is around whether PGWP people going for CEC needs LMIA to get the 600 points.

It is quite clear that PGWP (regardless of stream) can get into the pool without LMIA (not the points), and PGWP going for FSWP will need LMIA for the points.

Mario_AB

Star Member
Jun 24, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
so are you telling me PGWP candidates with a job offer and without a job offer are gonna be treated the same?
strange.
well lets see if we can get a more clear update from CIC addressing this issue.

mf4361

Champion Member
Apr 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18 Nov 2015
Nomination.....
12 Oct 2015
AOR Received.
25 Feb 2016
IELTS Request
Sent
Med's Request
28 Oct 2016
Med's Done....
14 Nov 2016
Passport Req..
27 Feb 2017
VISA ISSUED...
15 Mar 2017
LANDED..........
16 Mar 2017
Mario_AB said:
so are you telling me PGWP candidates with a job offer and without a job offer are gonna be treated the same?
strange.
well lets see if we can get a more clear update from CIC addressing this issue.
If LMIA is required for the points,
PGWP with a job offer, but without LMIA will be treated the same as PGWP without a job offer.

This is what many here thinks. To me, that is to be clarified by CIC.