+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application processing time?

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
rodrigochi89 said:
My understanding is that you need to get a positive LMIA first, only after that you can apply for a work a permit
Thank you. Lot of people are applied while they are in implied status and waiting for LMIA. I just need to know the process.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Karshokr said:
Hey guys,

I'm in Canada on a Post-grad work permit that expires towards the end of December and I'm obviously trying to stay. My employer is applying for an LMIA in about a week or so, just finalizing the application now, and by mid-December I'll have entered my name into the Express Entry pool (waiting to do the English test and get the results, even though it's been my first language for 25 years.

cic.gc.ca/ENGLISH/work/low-skill.asp - here it says you can apply for a work permit extension as you are awaiting the news on your LMIA. Even if this application doesn't get accepted, I plan to use it as a stalling tactic to allow me to continue working until I either a) get a positive LMIA, or b) get an ITA for PR. As a UK citizen who last entered Canada late September, I have legal status until end of March, by which time hopefully one of these avenues will have worked out.

Hi

Any ideas, tips, hints, do's or don'ts? I know it's a general question, but any ideas would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys!
Hi Karshokr

I am also in same situation like you and my WP is going to expire in 8th feb 2017 and working currently and my employer already applied LMIA and received file number. I would like to extend my WP and would like to know what are the proofs required to submit along with application. I am planning to apply by mail to vaigreville alberta.

Thanks,
Kalpan

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
Kalpan, in that case file number is enough to send your application and stay on implied status. But you have 60 (or 90 I am not sure) days to send the positive LMIA to get your new work permit.

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Alex0924 said:
What I can do?

I applied for LMIA on August16 2016 and got file number on Sep6. I applied my wp extension on Nov21 by paper. It seems that my lmia application is still uncertain and my wp application will be rejected in one month if without LMIA support. My PGWP has expired on Nov28 2016. Anyone who has similar experience can shed me some light to how to face it? thx!
Hi alex0924,

What are the documents you submitted related to LMIA while applying for WP extension paper based? Please reply. I just received file number from my lawyer. Is that enough or any proofs required for submissions?

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
kamenashi said:
You need to choose same employer if your current employer is helping you with Lima , provide the letter regarding your Lmia file number which you got from SC and explain your current situation.

Hope we all could get positive Lmia soon.
Hi Kamenashi,

I need your help in applying for extension of WP. My lawyer provided just System file number. Do we receive a letter about file number from SC? In that case, do I need to include the letter with WP application? Please reply.

Thanks,
Kalpan

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
sandra02 said:
Kalpan, in that case file number is enough to send your application and stay on implied status. But you have 60 (or 90 I am not sure) days to send the positive LMIA to get your new work permit.
Thanks Sandra02. My lawyer just informed the file number over phone. Where should I mention this file number? Or do I need to write a cover letter about this? Or do I need to mention that file number in my WP application? or the system file number is a kind of paper or receipt received from SC, so that i will ask my lawer to forward the softcopy? Please respond.

sandra02

Mar 1, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
Job Offer........
Yes
AOR Received.
16 07 2017
Med's Done....
April 2017
The first blank on the application is the file number. You have to write it on the application, of course.
kalpan said:
Thanks Sandra02. My lawyer just informed the file number over phone. Where should I mention this file number? Or do I need to write a cover letter about this? Or do I need to mention that file number in my WP application? or the system file number is a kind of paper or receipt received from SC, so that i will ask my lawer to forward the softcopy? Please respond.

Alex0924

Star Member
Nov 9, 2012
kalpan said:
Hi alex0924,

What are the documents you submitted related to LMIA while applying for WP extension paper based? Please reply. I just received file number from my lawyer. Is that enough or any proofs required for submissions?
Hi I only sent my passport copy to my agent to extend but unfortunately my LMIA application was rejected last week. I am very frustrated and dont know how is going on next even my employer still want me to stay. Anyone can hint me? thx

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
Alex0924 said:
Hi I only sent my passport copy to my agent to extend but unfortunately my LMIA application was rejected last week. I am very frustrated and dont know how is going on next even my employer still want me to stay. Anyone can hint me? thx
Hi Alex,
Thanks for your reply. Sorry to hear that! Do you know the reason? Please ask your employer for the rejection and correct it and send the file one more time. Are you still within 90 days period, in that case the only option is to apply for visitor visa and follow up your LMIA with your employer by correcting the fault one more time.

Rgds,
Kalpan

kamenashi

Oct 4, 2016
kalpan said:
Hi Kamenashi,

I need your help in applying for extension of WP. My lawyer provided just System file number. Do we receive a letter about file number from SC? In that case, do I need to include the letter with WP application? Please reply.

Thanks,
Kalpan
Your lawyer should receive a letter from SC regarding the file number. You need to ask your lawyer to give you a copy and submit it with your application.

kagopala

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
1. Does any one know how long we have to wait to receive the LMIA file number?
2. With the LMIA file number, Can i apply for the work permit extension? i cannot extend my work permit since i am completing 5 years by May 2017

Please assist

Thanks
Kasi

kalpan

Jan 13, 2014
kagopala said:
1. Does any one know how long we have to wait to receive the LMIA file number?
2. With the LMIA file number, Can i apply for the work permit extension? i cannot extend my work permit since i am completing 5 years by May 2017

Please assist

Thanks
Kasi
U will receive usually a week after. yes you can, include ur file number in the application and write cover letter. There is no cumulative rule now, as of december 12, 2016 you can work anywhere with your permit

kagopala

Star Member
Sep 24, 2014
kalpan said:
U will receive usually a week after. yes you can, include ur file number in the application and write cover letter. There is no cumulative rule now, as of december 12, 2016 you can work anywhere with your permit
Thanks Kalpan for your reply..

i came to Canada under Intra company transfer which has the limit for 5 years wp extension for software engineers, i believe that the 4 year limit is alone removed. thats what i heard from my lawyer

vaanelaa

Apr 14, 2016
Funbox said:
Yes. I'm pretty close and getting nervous to know if it's going to be approved or not.
After the interview call, they sent the following email.

As per our discussion earlier today regarding Labour Market Impact Assessment (FILE ID), I require the following supplemental information:

1) A new letter of offer signed by both the employer and the employee indicated hourly salary ($XX.XX/hr from Job Bank), the job is permanent in nature, and overtime rate of pay and after what hours per day/week overtime would be incurred. (The salary has raised on Job Bank, so we had to raise it too)
2) Proof that there was no gap in Job Bank ad from 2015-11-28 to 2015-12-22 or no gap in the Indeed ad from 2015-11-02 to now. (I had already ind. We are going to send again screenshots from Job Bank and Indeed )
3) Recruitment results were illegible; please resend insuring that they are readable. (Since we faxed the file, it lost quality)

This documentation is due within five business days. If not received in the time specified, the file will be assessed with the information already provided. Please ensure you reference the above mentioned system file number when sending any information via fax or email.

Please do not hesitate to contact me further should you have any questions.
Hi Funbox,
How long after the interview did you recieve the email requesting additional documents to be sent?
Thanks,
Vaanelaa

TomasX90

Star Member
Feb 17, 2014
jaybakerca said:
I was previously told that because my work permit is through IEC canada, that i cannot extend my work permit?
You can actually apply for a work permit extension if you're waiting for an LMIA. Apply by mail and it will take them 2-3 months to get to your application. If you get your LMIA by that time, you should get a WP. If not, you're gonna have to go through restoration thing.

I was in the same situation. I had a IEC (Co-op category), applied for extension, it was rejected cuz I didn't get the LMIA in that time period. I got it 2 weeks after the rejection. I applied for restoration right after the rejection. 2 weeks later I went to the boarder with my new LMIA, explained the situation and got the WP at the boarder. 6 months later I used this LMIA to apply for EE CEC inland and I got my CoPR today. And trust me they check you stuff if you apply for PR so I was allowed to benefit from the implied status. Also, I used a lawyer for both of my application so I didn't make it up. Cheers, tomas