+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application processing time?

OnOn

Star Member
Feb 7, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My husband's potential boss got a interview call,finally!!

The interview call was processed smoothly and the interviewer answered the boss would get an answer on coming Tuesday.

Can my husband get a positive LMIA?

October 21, 2015 started ads.
January 27, 2016 applied LMIA
February 20, 2016 issued file no.
August 19,2016 employer interview

NOC 6211
SK

nima2000

Star Member
Oct 2, 2012
Funbox said:
Are you currently working under a open work permit or under a work permit that was supported by a previous LMIA?
Either way, if your employer is going to "extend" a LMIA or apply for a new one, your employer will have to advertise this position (meeting all those requirement: Job Bank + two more websites for at least one month), find possible candidates and do a couple of interviews so that he/she will be able to proof that no qualified Canadians or permanent residents were found to fill this position. It doesn't matter if you are already working for this company. If your employer is applying for a LMIA, he/she needs the proof of recruitment. Even if you had any proof of recruitment from 2014, it would be too old. It cannot be older than 3 month prior to the application.

Thanks a lot for the answer. I am working under open work permit.
The tricky part is this:

proof that no qualified Canadians or permanent residents were found to fill this position.

What kind of proof they need to show? All the resume that they will get during the job posting? All just a simple letter saying that we did not get any qualified person?!

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks again

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
nima2000 said:
Thanks a lot for the answer. I am working under open work permit.
The tricky part is this:

proof that no qualified Canadians or permanent residents were found to fill this position.

What kind of proof they need to show? All the resume that they will get during the job posting? All just a simple letter saying that we did not get any qualified person?!

Please let me know what you think.
Thanks again
No. Employers do not need to show the resumes and not even mention the applicant names.

In my case, my employer created a spreadsheet listing all candidates showing from which website they have applied and the reason why they were not hired. For example:
Candidate 1 - Applied from Job Bank - Interviewed - Reason: Doesn't have experience in retail systems and poor communication.
Candidate 2 - Applied from Indeed - Not Interviewed - Reason: Doesn't have the minimum requirements.

In one of my previous post I wrote how many were resumes were reviewed and how many applicants were interviewed. I guess we got around 100 resumes.

Further information here (official website) http://www.esdc.gc.ca/en/foreign_workers/hire/median_wage/high/recruitment.page.

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
OzTraveller said:
Many thanks for the valuable info. I will update the thread with the results once I hear from ESDC.

By the way, is there always a phone interview?
I've never seen any positive LMIA being issued without a phone interview. They can refuse it without a phone interview though.
I believe even they don't have any question, they will call just to make sure the phone number provided exists. :)

OzTraveller

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Australia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-16
Doc's Request.
21-09-16
AOR Received.
16-06-16
Med's Done....
18-06-16
Funbox said:
I've never seen any positive LMIA being issued without a phone interview. They can refuse it without a phone interview though.
I believe even they don't have any question, they will call just to make sure the phone number provided exists. :)
Good to know. I hope to hear some update from them soon. Will keep the thread posted. Thanks for the reply again.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
So we have posted my Job on 4 websites
Carpenter at 28-30 per hr on the job websites, as the median wage for AB is 30 for that position.

But job bank didn't let my employer go more specific in terms of what he is looking for.
Is it okay to say a Canadian cant do my job when we apply for the LMIA.

I should be in the 10 day processing times as carpenter is on the list of jobs for it and the wage meets the requirements. High skilled High wage?

NOC-7271

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
playtheman said:
So we have posted my Job on 4 websites
Carpenter at 28-30 per hr on the job websites, as the median wage for AB is 30 for that position.

But job bank didn't let my employer go more specific in terms of what he is looking for.
Is it okay to say a Canadian cant do my job when we apply for the LMIA.

I should be in the 10 day processing times as carpenter is on the list of jobs for it and the wage meets the requirements. High skilled High wage?

NOC-7271
Just heads up with the wage your employer advertised. In my first application, a officer told my employer that that wage advertised must be at least the median wage. If your advertisement shows a range (such as 28 - 30 per hour), it means that the first value of the range has to meet the median wage. For instance: if the median wage is 30, the wage advertised needs to be from 30 to 32 per hour.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Its okay. Alberta median is 25 hr and carpentry is 28hr so we put 28-30 as our range just to be covered.
Think as long as im above the provincial median and median for the job position its high wage.
But thanks for the heads up!

pat34

Aug 23, 2016
hi there, I have a question. My employer is ready to give me LMIA. I am eligible for 3 years work permit. But my passport is expiring on nove 3rd 2016 so they gave me 2 and half years work permit.

Now, I can apply for my rest work permit after I renew my passport and I will get my work permit up to July 2017. So should I apply for dual LMIA or just for PR? my understanding is there is no point to apply for work permit LMIA as they will give me for 1 year only and I will have up to July 2017 anyways.

please give me your suggestions. also what is the time frame to get approval of LMIA?

Thanks in Advance. Please help.

playtheman

Star Member
Jul 5, 2016
Time frame depends on how prepared your lmia applocation is. Ive heard some people get it in as little as 20 days. High skill high wage and all documents in order and meet all the requirements

OzTraveller

Star Member
Jun 17, 2016
Australia
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
16-06-16
Doc's Request.
21-09-16
AOR Received.
16-06-16
Med's Done....
18-06-16
Just an update about my dual intent LMIA application:

My prospective employer was told that although their LMIA application was received on August the 2nd, Service Canada only started to process the application on the 15th. Service Canada has apparently been "overwhelmed" with the number of applications they have received. So much for the 10 day processing promise!

Nevertheless, they have also mentioned that they should have a response on the 25th. Fingers crossed.