+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LMIA application processing time?

thewthew

Sep 26, 2015
Finally gathered everything and submitted on the 25th September for Low wage position in Edmonton, AB.
Thank you everyone for sharing their experience regarding their LMIA applicant, and hopefully I will be able to share my good news with you all soon.
Got laid off back in March from the oil industry, holding a valid employee specific WP but unable to work as OWP is required.

My new employer is hoping to be able to receive a position LMIA assessment so I can apply both a WP and enough points to be invited in EE.

Is the concept of our plan correct? They have able unable to hire someone suitable for months and is really hoping to be able to offer me the job. :'(

Zarf

Sep 26, 2015
hey everyone!
I received a job offer from a company last year. They applied for my LMIA in the end of september 2014 and until now I have no information about how the process is going!!! They contact the company in december to ask for more documentation and since them there is no updates in my process, even with the company asking for information the only thing they got is an automatic reply saying that the application is still in process... So, no idea about when I will have an answer!

the job offer is for Vancouver - BC, anyone here is in the same situation or had such a long wait?

jaybakerca

Jul 30, 2014
Zarf said:
hey everyone!
I received a job offer from a company last year. They applied for my LMIA in the end of september 2014 and until now I have no information about how the process is going!!! They contact the company in december to ask for more documentation and since them there is no updates in my process, even with the company asking for information the only thing they got is an automatic reply saying that the application is still in process... So, no idea about when I will have an answer!

the job offer is for Vancouver - BC, anyone here is in the same situation or had such a long wait?
Are you applying from outside of Canada?
What's your home country?

jaybakerca

Jul 30, 2014
Zarf said:
yes I'm applying from outside Canada, I live in Brazil
I'm not familiar with the timelines from applying from outside of canada but i know it takes longer.

I would probably get your employer to contact service canada and perhaps get an update.

Maybe someone can get you some more information than I.

Funbox

Star Member
Sep 27, 2015
Calgary, Canada
Hello All,

I do have an application in process.

Documents sent: September 3rt, 2015.
Documents received: September 21th, 2015. (I don't know why it took too long because it was applied by fax, but anyway)
Confirmation number: We didn't get any confirmation number (we had to call to confirm they got it).
NOC: 2174 - Computer Programmer

Everything that was asked was done - advertising, job wage, etc. Hopefully we are going to get a positive answer soon.

Cheers.

Lammawitch

Champion Member
Dec 21, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jaybakerca said:
I'm not familiar with the timelines from applying from outside of canada but i know it takes longer.

I would probably get your employer to contact service canada and perhaps get an update.

Maybe someone can get you some more information than I.
LMIA is applied for by employer *in* Canada. Processing times are not dependent on the location of the putative TFW.

Once an LMIA has been approved, WP application processing times can & will be affected by the worker's location.

Zarf: has your potential employer contacted EDSC for an update? The only way for this to move forward is for the employer to be proactive & push for information/updates. If the position is still open & they still need you, & they're not seeing any progress, they (the employer) could & should contact their MP for assistance.

Zarf

Sep 26, 2015
thanks for the answers!
The position is still open and the company is trying to contact for updates since may, but everything that they got is messages saying that the application is still in process. I'll talk with the company tomorrow and we will see what we can do about it.

I'll keep you guys updated about what will happen!

jaybakerca

Jul 30, 2014
Zarf said:
thanks for the answers!
The position is still open and the company is trying to contact for updates since may, but everything that they got is messages saying that the application is still in process. I'll talk with the company tomorrow and we will see what we can do about it.

I'll keep you guys updated about what will happen!
A year without a response is an awful long time.

Normal processing times are 2-4 months if everything is done correctly.

Sunshinegirl_X

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/07/2015
Zarf said:
hey everyone!

Is the job low wage? Skilled or unskilled. I'm only asking because low wage unskilled LMIA processing will depend on the unemployment rate of the area. When it falls below 6% (I think) all low wage Unskilled lmia will be placed on hold. Which may be a reason why it is taking so long. Just a thought!!

Zarf

Sep 26, 2015
Sunshinegirl_X said:
Is the job low wage? Skilled or unskilled. I'm only asking because low wage unskilled LMIA processing will depend on the unemployment rate of the area. When it falls below 6% (I think) all low wage Unskilled lmia will be placed on hold. Which may be a reason why it is taking so long. Just a thought!!
It's not low wage and it's a skilled position, NOC 5241.
I was expecting for some delays during the process but definitely not more than a year...
I contacted the company yesterday and I'm waiting for a reply

jaybakerca

Jul 30, 2014
Zarf said:
I was expecting for some delays during the process but definitely not more than a year...

You should always be proactive in getting them to chase.

When we first applied for mine last year, we sent it off in june thinking everything would be fine, it got to around august and hadn't heard anything so we contacted them to find they hadn't even received our application so we lost those months, then we re-sent it off and contacted them mid september to find they STILL had not received it, always get them to call and harass for updates, its the only thing that works.

sophieweller

Sep 29, 2015
Hi I am currently working in Canada on a IEC visa which expires in February, my employer wants to apply for a LMIA to support my Permanent residency application - no processing fee required, however I just wanted to know the processing times for this. I work in Ontario. after we apply for a LMIA do I get a LMIA code to update my express entry profile? and from there if I don't get a LMIA by February can I apply for a bridging visa?

Sunshinegirl_X

Star Member
Mar 22, 2015
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10/07/2015
Zarf said:
I hope they chase up and find out what is going on.at least you know they did receive it as they asked for further documents. It does seem a long time to be waiting for a skilled job when the current waiting times are now roughly 3-4 months.
Let us know what they say.

Cter

Mar 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Zarf said:
I've been asking my prospective HR manager for more then one year, since they said they applied for lmia.
HR manager has been asking a lawyer for the same time. I hope that lawyer in their turn has been requesting SC about my app status - every once in a while at least.
The result of all this is one: Application is in process...

Ontario, Noc: 2174, APPLIED: September, 2014

So, Zarf I wish you to arm yourself with patience. All this limbo is sucks, thought.

Good luck.