+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Vancouver and working in Seattle?

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
But heard that even Bernie Sanders had to drove and pick up medicine in Ontario.
It depends on the medication. In general, non-generic prescriptions will be cheaper in Canada, especially if you are poor. Almost always, generics will be cheaper in the US, often much much so.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
With 330 million people, there are going to 10x as many deaths in the US as Canada even if things are equal. Canada has their share of violent crime, including homicide with guns.

As a counter point, I know of two cases where people ended up dying because of just how bad Canadian healthcare is. The US is much better, if you can afford it. The problem, of course, is many can’t.
There are minimal shooting deaths in Canada if you are not involved in some sort of criminal activity. The US healthcare system is better for the top 10% if you live in large urban centre. The statistics prove that someone in the US is more likely to die because of the US healthcare system. Just one example but mortality rates for pregnant women are much higher in the US versus all comparable countries. The healthcare system isn't perfect but there is no data proving that a Canadian citizen is more likely to die versus a US citizen because of our healthcare system. I have a family member who had great insurance, a very well paying job and lived in Boston which is a medical hub. In 2 years no doctor could diagnose them and they were diagnosed within 6 months after returning to Canada. In general how good your healthcare outcomes are often related to your actual doctor.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
There are minimal shooting deaths in Canada if you are not involved in some sort of criminal activity.
Yes. The same can be said of the US as well. Remember, 330 million people means a lot more incidents. Most mass shootings are urban gang violence, but those don't make the news nor put most immigrants at risk.

The US healthcare system is better for the top 10% if you live in large urban centre.
It's better for the top 25%, and you don't have to live in a large urban center for it. You have a lot more flexibility in where you go and get care in the States, so where you live is less important.

When I had my shoulder injury, I was able to use my insurance to get reconstructive surgery from someone who was the surgeon for an NBA team. He did a very, very good job.

The statistics prove that someone in the US is more likely to die because of the US healthcare system.
The average person has 1 testicle. True is not necessarily useful. If you have cancer and are poor, you will probably get treatment in Canada, though (as a friend of mine found out), the delay in testing may end up killing you anyway. Preventable cancer, wait limit, took too long.

Meanwhile, it's a very good thing that I can travel to the states for medical care. It took 3 years after moving to Ontario to get an appointment to see an allergist. That appointment was for four years out, in 2020. It was cancelled due to COVID. It took 3 years to get a GP.

Just one example but mortality rates for pregnant women are much higher in the US versus all comparable countries.
Yes. Canada puts a higher priority on prenatal care, but those with employer-sponsored healthcare will generally get comparable results in the US.

The healthcare system isn't perfect but there is no data proving that a Canadian citizen is more likely to die versus a US citizen because of our healthcare system. I have a family member who had great insurance, a very well paying job and lived in Boston which is a medical hub. In 2 years no doctor could diagnose them and they were diagnosed within 6 months after returning to Canada. In general how good your healthcare outcomes are often related to your actual doctor.
Individuals are individuals, groups are groups. I can give examples like Canada only paying for a single bypass when they would do a quadruple bypass in the US (which would have had a better outcome health wise), or delays leading to missed cancer diagnoses in Canada. I can also show cases of people dying in the United States because they couldn't afford healthcare at all. I shutdown one company because of ObamaCare price hikes, and had to pay hundreds of thousands of dollars out of pocket to get my mother the healthcare she needed when she lost her US insurance.

Each system has it's benefits and downsides. The US is better if you can pay/have good insurance, or you need immediate care for something that's not life threatening. When I need a script in the US for my migraine medications, I just open up an app, schedule an appointment for the same day or next day, and fill my script. I did it last week in preparation for returning to Canada. It cost me $1,600 - something that would not happen in Canada.

Meanwhile, my generic prescriptions that I fill in the US are $3/mo, and I fill 6 months at a time. With 3 of them, and a cost of ~110cdn/drug/month, that saves me a lot of money. Plus, I don't have to wait 4 years to see a doctor.

Mar 8, 2021
Hi Everyone,

This post is indeed very informative. I am about to get in a similar boat. I have a US H1B and Canada PR(spent 8 months in Canada so about 16 months left for maintaining the PR). I have a very good offer from a company in Seattle. I am thinking on spending Monday-Friday in Seattle and remainder of the week in BC. How is it going with you all given the travel restrictions due to COVID?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Everyone,

This post is indeed very informative. I am about to get in a similar boat. I have a US H1B and Canada PR(spent 8 months in Canada so about 16 months left for maintaining the PR). I have a very good offer from a company in Seattle. I am thinking on spending Monday-Friday in Seattle and remainder of the week in BC. How is it going with you all given the travel restrictions due to COVID?
Is your traveling essential?

Mar 8, 2021
I think but can't be sure in these times. So this is my reference point - My friend lives in Windsor, Ontario and works in Detroit, Michigan. He has Canada PR and US H1B. Since Windsor to Detroit is a 5 minute commute, he has not rented a place in Detroit. This is considered essential travel and he had no issues crossing the border.

My case becomes tricky because I cannot commute daily and I will have to rent a place on both sides of the border. Also, my family will be traveling with me.

Reactions: ryeCatcher

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I think but can't be sure in these times. So this is my reference point - My friend lives in Windsor, Ontario and works in Detroit, Michigan. He has Canada PR and US H1B. Since Windsor to Detroit is a 5 minute commute, he has not rented a place in Detroit. This is considered essential travel and he had no issues crossing the border.

My case becomes tricky because I cannot commute daily and I will have to rent a place on both sides of the border. Also, my family will be traveling with me.
You really should be speaking with CBSA about your individual case.

Mar 8, 2021
Anyone here who works for a US firm but lives in Vancouver? I am thinking they travel once or twice to Seattle for work and work remotely from Vancouver the rest of days. Is someone doing that?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Anyone here who works for a US firm but lives in Vancouver? I am thinking they travel once or twice to Seattle for work and work remotely from Vancouver the rest of days. Is someone doing that?
What's your status in the US? Are you a citizen or green card holder? Or are you on an H1B?

I would recommend you read through the posts in the H1B section of the forum. This topic is discussed there. Regardless of your status in the US, this section of the forum is probably where you'll find the most useful info.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/forums/h-1b-holders-in-the-u-s.59/

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
There is another Vancouver located north of Portland Oregon and south of Seattle.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Hi Everyone,

In Detroit, and NY, they have wanted to see at least one crossing a week (for the exemption), or a PCR test. If entering with commercial goods, they haven't cared about the frequency. When doing an entry with commercial goods and a guest, they needed to see their arrivecan and their PCR test.

You can ask the CBSA, but it's going to have a degree of officer discretion no matter what they tell you.

rohit.joshi

Star Member
Sep 24, 2017
@kathysrazor Thank you for posting on this forum about your late night travel to cover 2 days of residency. I plan to do the same by staying in Bellingham. But, if you can please let me know if we will have a problem while applying for Citizenship since we are not technically residing in Canada.

su0du0tict

Star Member
Jul 12, 2018
@kathysrazor , @rohit.joshi :
I am also on the same boat and am looking to move to Bellingham /Ferndale.

I visited Bellingham and Ferndale today , thought there are many apartments, I could not find any Indians, do you happen to know any areas of apartments that would be good and safe