+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Vancouver and working in Seattle?

Jun 4, 2020
Hello people,

I see that few people are already doing the travel from BC to Seattle daily. My question was, how is it going lately as you no longer have to travel to the Seattle office as we are currently in the covid-19 role. I wanted to move to BC, and start commuting to the Seattle for work on H1B but because of coronavirus, I wanted to hear about the thoughts of people who are living in the Canadian side and WFH.

Thanks

Z

zaq12wsxcde3

Hello, just enquiring if anyone is still doing this? I was thinking of renting a room in Blaine and getting LCA filed for that so that I commute only to Blaine.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Hi all,

Is it possible to live in Vancouver, Canada (to maintain 2 yr residency req. for PR) and working in Seattle, US?

Can one daily commute between the 2 cities? What's the best way and how long does it take to reach Seattle from Vancouver?

Any help on above is much appreciated!
It’s a really long commute, and traffic is horrible.

I did something kind of similar-ish in living in Blaine, WA (right across the border). I’d bike across the border at around 11:45PM, then bike back at 12:05 PM so I could bang out two days of residency at once. Partial days of physical presence count, and you could just as easily do it in a car. There’s not generally much traffic that time of night.

If you don’t mind a two hour drive one way every day, that would be the way to do it. Saves on the taxes, too.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It’s a really long commute, and traffic is horrible.

I did something kind of similar-ish in living in Blaine, WA (right across the border). I’d bike across the border at around 11:45PM, then bike back at 12:05 PM so I could bang out two days of residency at once. Partial days of physical presence count, and you could just as easily do it in a car. There’s not generally much traffic that time of night.

If you don’t mind a two hour drive one way every day, that would be the way to do it. Saves on the taxes, too.
If primarily living in Blaine you may not qualify for MSP which will need to factor into your calculations.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
If primarily living in Blaine you may not qualify for MSP which will need to factor into your calculations.
I paid $1,600 today for my migraine medication. I pay $1,200 a month for ObamaCare.

It’s still significantly cheaper than Canadian taxes.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
And unlike Ontario healthcare, it doesn’t take me literally 4 years to get in to see an allergist, before they cancel my appointment due to COVID.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Even when I lived in BC, it was cheaper to drive to Blaine, pay out of pocket to see a doctor, pay out of pocket to fill my prescriptions, and pay to drive back, then it was to see my “free” doctor in BC and fill that same prescription at a Canadian pharmacy. Plus, BC doesn’t deal with mental health, so I was looking at a $2,000 fee to get evaluated for school.

US generics are $10/90 days, so the savings add up quickly. US Doctors are expensive, but they are very good and you can see them quickly.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Even when I lived in BC, it was cheaper to drive to Blaine, pay out of pocket to see a doctor, pay out of pocket to fill my prescriptions, and pay to drive back, then it was to see my “free” doctor in BC and fill that same prescription at a Canadian pharmacy. Plus, BC doesn’t deal with mental health, so I was looking at a $2,000 fee to get evaluated for school.

US generics are $10/90 days, so the savings add up quickly. US Doctors are expensive, but they are very good and you can see them quickly.
But heard that even Bernie Sanders had to drove and pick up medicine in Ontario.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
But heard that even Bernie Sanders had to drove and pick up medicine in Ontario.
he probably needed to do that to sell his political agenda or specifically did not want generics. Generic medicines for common chronic conditions like diabetes or hypertension are dirt cheap in US and are easily affordable even without insurance. Most 90 day supplies cost few tens of dollars. Sometimes some pharmacies give even 90 days supply of diabetic medicines like metformin free with a goodrx coupon.

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Everytime I think oh it must be nirvana living in the States, I have a look thru the website
Gunmemorial.org
Yup, nirvana
With 330 million people, there are going to 10x as many deaths in the US as Canada even if things are equal. Canada has their share of violent crime, including homicide with guns.

As a counter point, I know of two cases where people ended up dying because of just how bad Canadian healthcare is. The US is much better, if you can afford it. The problem, of course, is many can’t.