+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Living in Canada on an expired PR card

RISHIFERRARI20

Star Member
Sep 27, 2018
I became a PR in 2019. Did a soft landing for a few months and left during covid. I have been out for nearly 4 years and plan to return soon. I am aware that I won't be fulfilling the residency obligation when the card expires at the end of this year. So I plan to stay on and finish the two years before I apply for renewal.
My question is, in 1.5 years of time before I apply for renewal, when I am essentially living in Canada on an expired PR card, will I face issues when applying for a job or setting up a business or renting/buying a house or land, or applying to study at a university etc. i.e. Will there be any situation where I would have to produce my proof of PR status and potentially be denied because it is an expired card?

Anyone with experience doing this? i.e. stayed on until 2 years before renewal? Did you get into trouble for anything?

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IMPORTANT: PR status does not expire. The PR Card expires.

You are likely already out of compliance regarding the Residency Obligation (730 days for each rolling 5 year window) and could be questioned (perhaps at length) by CBSA
when you return. Be prepared for this and hope that you are not questioned. This could lead to a 44(1) report being issued and, if validated by a second officer, could lead to your status being revoked.

Regarding your question, AFTER returning (without being reported)...
In theory, holding a valid PR Card while living in Canada isn't really needed. If, for example, you already had a valid DL, health card, etc., which you likely do not have. This will make life challenging until you have remained in Canada for 730 days (or more) to then apply for a renewed PR card.

Even if you are issued a 44(1) you would be allowed to enter Canada to prepare for the hearing, as long as you are not deemed to be inadmissible to Canada for other reasons (i.e., criminality).

Otherwise, the only time you would NEED a valid PR card, would be for commercial travel back to Canada. Even then, transiting through the U.S. and actually entering Canada at a land PoE (in a private vehicle or on foot), does not required a valid PR card...but be prepared for Secondary Inspection to explain.

Last edited:
Reactions: foodie69

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
One exception seems to be post secondary schools who seem to be asking for valid PR card more and more. Assume likely because many are only returning to Canada to attend post-secondary Ed after long absence from Canada.

Besram

Jun 13, 2019
I became a PR in 2019. Did a soft landing for a few months and left during covid. I have been out for nearly 4 years and plan to return soon. I am aware that I won't be fulfilling the residency obligation when the card expires at the end of this year. So I plan to stay on and finish the two years before I apply for renewal.
My question is, in 1.5 years of time before I apply for renewal, when I am essentially living in Canada on an expired PR card, will I face issues when applying for a job or setting up a business or renting/buying a house or land, or applying to study at a university etc. i.e. Will there be any situation where I would have to produce my proof of PR status and potentially be denied because it is an expired card?

Anyone with experience doing this? i.e. stayed on until 2 years before renewal? Did you get into trouble for anything?
In addition to the information in @Ponga 's previous post, here are some additional considerations:
  • Make sure you get to Canada before the expiry of your PR card so you can apply for provincial healthcare, drivers license, and most importantly, a SIN (if you haven't got it already).
  • While a valid SIN should be enough (in theory) to apply for a job, there are employers who want to see a valid PR card. You could try educating them that this isn't required, but if their HR or compliance department insist on it, there is little you can do. Private companies can establish their own requirements, which brings me to:
  • Mortgage and other credit applications - same deal as above. There are lenders who want to see a valid PR card. Others don't.
In summary, the sooner you get here, the better your chances are of a) not being reported and b) making the necessary arrangements while your PR card is still valid.

anshul_prusty

Apr 18, 2017
Experience in Quebec without a valid PR Card, only with COPR:

Got the health card without any problem.
Got the DL without any problem.
Have been working without any problem.
Got credit card without a problem.
Rented apartment without a problem.
Got rejected on a car loan application.
Got rejected on a mortgage application.

I have no idea why banks need a valid PR Card to issue a loan.

But, overall you do not have to hold a valid PR Card to live here in Quebec. It is indeed only needed to travel back to Canada but banks ask for it when you apply for loans for some reason.

Reactions: dpenabill