+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Live in Caregivers - Let's unite and protest

lilyloves

May 7, 2011
Hello dear Caregivers,

A while ago I suggested we got together and protested against this enormous delay for the Canadian immigration to process our applications.
They are making the process longer and abusive, changing the rules as it pleases them.

- It takes around 3 months to get a new work permit;
- We are not allowed to take another job while we wait for the permit to arrive;
- Families don't want to hire us when they hear they'll have to wait;
- I cannot estimate how long I'll work for the new family, for as soon as I get my Open Permit I will take another job (so it will be unfair for the host family);
- The Open Permit was promised to June 2011, and now it's delayed to mid November; (more than 5 months delay, and it keeps taking longer);
- I can't afford to pay for health care;
- I can't afford to pay for accommodation without an income;
- I applied for jobs in the area that I graduated, but because the Open Permit never arrived I couldn't take the jobs. And no employer has patience to "hold" the job for me until the immigration releases my Permit.

I am sure there are many other stories, specially about relatives waiting to come to Canada, which is not my case. But I think it's time we gather together across the country and make our voices be heard.
I suggest we get organized and protest pacifically.

I am sure most of us are honest, hard-working nannies who have done our part of the deal. We worked our hours, showed up on time, did all of our obligations and much more.
And what about the government's part of the deal? Did Canada invite us to the country to shame and starve us? This is not what I came here for. We all have dignity, and we deserve to be respected.

I propose we strike for a day and parade in the downtown areas of our cities. For those who can't really not show up to work, I suggest you ask permission for your host families to bring the children with you to the Protest Area. We should have signs, printed out material about what the government promised, and how the process has gotten more difficult.

Your suggestions are welcome! Let's get together and seek our rights! The government in BC recently came up with a pilot project to give the right to family members of temporary works to be able to work. And what about us??? We have worked at least 2 years in the Live-in Caregiver. So, while we wait for Permanent Residency, we should have the right to take any job as well!

Bambiegirl

May 18, 2011
Well said!
I cant think of anything nice to say right now....when theres too much anger....i pour it all to my stingy employer!

Aug 16, 2011
Hi

Im a caregiver and I have a family member to came to Canada, but the time process is so long now that me and another friends caregivers was thinking the same way than you... We need to do something about, I think if us still waiting the time is going to be longer and longer.
We need figth for ours situation, It is so unfair! Lets go see if more caregiver feel the same and organize with us sometinhg like a protest. I would like to fight for that! My life is totaly stoped and will be for more 3 years if nothing change!

Nanny16

Jul 5, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Please! We got to do something.They will only hear us if we say very loud.

I've tried to talk with caregivers in my community, I was trying to open their eyes, telling them that this is inacceptable, but they seem to be very confortable! I was amazed by the fact that many of us are happy in just sending money to their families, and are willing to put up with the processing times. One of the nannies laughed and made a comment, " It's cheaper to raise a child backhome, than in Canada".
I can't believe we got at this point! If I had a child waiting for me in my country, I would do anything to be closer to him or her!

I don't have anymore strength, money, health, psychological health and I don't know what to tell my family.
I can't work, study, go to the Doctor, I can't apply for employment insurance ( without an valid work permit).
Where are the human rights right now???

Nanny16

Jul 5, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Is there anybody from Toronto? I would be glad to meet you, and share our thoughts.

Monalizy

Apr 24, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
10-5-2012
Doc's Request.
RFPR nov 28, 2012
AOR Received.
Sept 5, 2012
File Transfer...
Oct 18. 2012 bcos I withdrew
Med's Done....
20-03-2012 2nd med April 29th 2013
Interview........
1st visa issuance Dec 19,2012
Passport Req..
2nd visa issuance June 5,2013
VISA ISSUED...
June 12,2013
LANDED..........
June 17,2013
I'm in toronto

who else is in toronto?

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
27-09-2012 CIC Etobicoke ,ON.
LANDED..........
27-09-2012 CIC Etobicoke,ON. Received PR CARD: 27-11-2012
I am also from Toronto,exact location Bathurst and Steeles

LCPcaregiver

Star Member
Jun 16, 2011
Interesting blog from a retired Filipino lawyer in Toronto :
Caregivers in Canada:

You need to contact these people if you are in Toronto:

Caregiver Resource Centre : Tel: 416.439.3246

Here is a video of them supporting the Conservative party prior to election, of course, the politicians lied to them and promised them faster PR etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPZSRlkM5o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNIxsw2sRSc Here the caregiver groups are crowning him the " King of Multiculturism "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R09MjI2Qs5U ( WATCH THIS ...KENNEY PROMISING THE MOON TO CAREGIVERS ....)

Here is what they think now.

http://t.co/ptEwcZt Jason Kenney : Caregivers' champion - but not for long

If this is correct than the government wants caregivers to work longer a live in caregivers.........

http://tiny.cc/9t726 Does Immigration Minister Jason Kenney truly care for caregivers ?

To avoid for families to hire new caregivers ??

Not exactly what the government promised the caregiver groups prior to election !!!!

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
LANDED..........
LCPcaregiver said:
Interesting blog from a retired Filipino lawyer in Toronto :
Caregivers in Canada:

You need to contact these people if you are in Toronto:

Caregiver Resource Centre : Tel: 416.439.3246

Here is a video of them supporting the Conservative party prior to election, of course, the politicians lied to them and promised them faster PR etc.

Are you also from Toronto? have you already tried to communicate with the Caregiver Resource Center? Thank you for sharing this information to us..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yPZSRlkM5o8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cNIxsw2sRSc Here the caregiver groups are crowning him the " King of Multiculturism "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R09MjI2Qs5U ( WATCH THIS ...KENNEY PROMISING THE MOON TO CAREGIVERS ....)

Here is what they think now.

http://t.co/ptEwcZt Jason Kenney : Caregivers' champion - but not for long

If this is correct than the government wants caregivers to work longer a live in caregivers.........

http://tiny.cc/9t726 Does Immigration Minister Jason Kenney truly care for caregivers ?

To avoid for families to hire new caregivers ??

Not exactly what the government promised the caregiver groups prior to election !!!!

LCPcaregiver

Star Member
Jun 16, 2011
First is to decide what day the protest should happen.

How about Saturday September 24,2011 ????????

The Toronto Filipino Community is planning a big party then....celebrating what ???

A protest in all Canadian cities Toronto, Montreal, Winnipeg, Calgary, Edmonton, Vancouver etc.
We invite politicians, advocates etc.

What do you think ?

BOYZONE2

Feb 6, 2011
TORONTO,ONTARO
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
FEBRUARY 10,2010
Interview........
LANDED..........
LCPcaregiver,

Are you also from Toronto? thank you for this infos..

lilyloves

May 7, 2011
I don't have any other dates planned, so, I agree with September 24th. Does anyone know of an event happening then that may be a hindrance?

Hopefully we'll be able to mobilize caregivers from all the major cities like someone mentioned above.

We should start making a poster and placing it in many public places, as soon as possible. This way, caregivers and the community will be aware of the movement. Is anyone here good at making posters?

Again, I would like to remind all of us that we want to make our requests known, but we are not troublemakers. We should fight in a just and right manner. So, if you hear any of the caregivers is up to trouble, please try to calm him/her down.

Good luck to us all! And may God be with us, as he is just and defends the oppressed.

LCPcaregiver

Star Member
Jun 16, 2011
We need to be clear what our requests are ?

What do we really want ? Is this protest only for caregivers or everybody in the industry ??
I am sure you know that recruitment agencies are not happy with the Live in caregiver program and so are very many employers upset because they feel that it is way too expensive for them to hire.

Or will it only a protest for caregivers ??? Do we have contact info of caregiver groups ?

lilyloves

May 7, 2011
I think the main goal is to have our applications processed faster.

They took away the medical exam and shortened the application to 22 months. However, they increased the processing times about 10 months longer, but we won't even get residency, only an "Open Permit".

- For those who want to study, they'll still pay international fees;
- For those who are waiting to reunite to their families, they'll still have to wait another 16 months!;
- If you make minimum wage you're not allowed to get discounts at community centers (only for residents);
I can't think of other things, but please feel welcome to add them to this post.

So, we should ask that as soon as we finish our hours and apply, they should grant us a temporary Open Permit, and give our Residency in a maximum of 1 year. When we came from our home countries we already went through a screening process, so it should not take this long for them to process our papers.

irogko4u

Nov 21, 2010
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
LC1 submitted june 21, 2010
AOR Received.
LC2 CEM July 30, 2012 AOR received Sept 30, 2012
Med's Request
Waiting
Anytime and anywhere in Toronto. pls count me in. God Bless us!