+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

List of questions that would give me peace of mind on the application. (2021)

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Hi there. Hopefully since I prepared a list of questions to include in one thread to simply and hopefully get some updated 2021 opinions/thoughts answers.

So far this forum has been awesome so hoping for some closure on a lot of things...

1. Police Certificate - According to the IRCC website, I need an NBI Clearance document. (Philippines) Her current one will expire in October so I will send my application probably by 1st week of June. What will happen if my application doesn't get looked at until after it expires. Would it be better to get one that would be good for a year instead or will they be OK with that if its' received for expiry no matter what?

2. Packaging format for 2021. Any specific sizes for folders, or sticky notes up, bond paper or whatever that we would want to ensure. folder type >? labeling “extra” content from some of the checklist or other documents. Best way to “point” the officer to the right added document?

3. When can I apply for SIN, Medical coverage once approved or when she lands? Anything else I should research on that note ? I understand that medical coverage depends on province but it would be nice if we could apply a bit ahead of time for the SIN. But I believe you have to wait until she has the PR card ?

4. I am reading that my documents don't have to be certified or "notarized" here in the Philippines and I see some folks state how important it is to "certified true copies" while others not so much. Other then being legible / readable does anyone have any advice on this ?

5. Any other "to do" while planning to move to Canada outside of the usual clothes, place to stay, bank accounts, SIN. Just want some thoughts on everything to think about.

6. My wife will be trying to switch to the local "Canadian" company of her current position. It's not guaranteed however it's a very good option that has a solid chance of working out. Should I be including backup/other options on my application as in my own opinion it seems that this somehow lessens/makes us seem not confident it will pan out if I start listing the other job search functions versus an assumptive on what we feel will be our reality.

7. In the Philippines, middle names are often previous maiden last names or whatever. On the application it asks for a given name and family name. On my wife's updated married passport it has a middle name. Do I need to include that and would I put it as part of the last name or include it as a given name since there seems to be no middle name field.

8. They said somewhere to not leave anything blank and put NA into the fields that are not useful. This is a bit weird as on some parts of the "Generic" application form it has fields that you have to select that require inputs and then you would be able to put in NA on the follow up sections. (For example page 2/5 4 "Alternate Telephone Number" or 5 "Fax Number" seems to be an optional section. Simply try to put NA in those fields and then write it once printed?

9. Additional Family Information Document - If I am understanding this one correctly I would need to include all close relatives such as step brothers sisters. What if my wife has a massive family with 10 brothers and a lot of unknown details that might not be able to be retrieved? Is this a do your best as possible for or will they really be harsh and what do I do if not able to secure all the details about obscure or deceased folks?

Thanks that's it for now and I really appreciate any tips/assistance and details that anyone provides.

Take care!

Last edited:

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hi there. Hopefully since I prepared a list of questions to include in one thread to simply and hopefully get some updated 2021 opinions/thoughts answers.

So far this forum has been awesome so hoping for some closure on a lot of things...

1. Police Certificate - According to the IRCC website, I need an NBI Clearance document. (Philippines) Her current one will expire in October so I will send my application probably by 1st week of June. What will happen if my application doesn't get looked at until after it expires. Would it be better to get one that would be good for a year instead or will they be OK with that if its' received for expiry no matter what?

2. Packaging format for 2021. Any specific sizes for folders, or sticky notes up, bond paper or whatever that we would want to ensure. folder type >? labeling “extra” content from some of the checklist or other documents. Best way to “point” the officer to the right added document?

3. When can I apply for SIN, Medical coverage once approved or when she lands? Anything else I should research on that note ? I understand that medical coverage depends on province but it would be nice if we could apply a bit ahead of time for the SIN. But I believe you have to wait until she has the PR card ?

4. I am reading that my documents don't have to be certified or "notarized" here in the Philippines and I see some folks state how important it is to "certified true copies" while others not so much. Other then being legible / readable does anyone have any advice on this ?

5. Any other "to do" while planning to move to Canada outside of the usual clothes, place to stay, bank accounts, SIN. Just want some thoughts on everything to think about.

6. My wife will be trying to switch to the local "Canadian" company of her current position. It's not guaranteed however it's a very good option that has a solid chance of working out. Should I be including backup/other options on my application as in my own opinion it seems that this somehow lessens/makes us seem not confident it will pan out if I start listing the other job search functions versus an assumptive on what we feel will be our reality.

7. In the Philippines, middle names are often previous maiden last names or whatever. On the application it asks for a given name and family name. On my wife's updated married passport it has a middle name. Do I need to include that and would I put it as part of the last name or include it as a given name since there seems to be no middle name field.

8. They said somewhere to not leave anything blank and put NA into the fields that are not useful. This is a bit weird as on some parts of the "Generic" application form it has fields that you have to select that require inputs and then you would be able to put in NA on the follow up sections. (For example page 2/5 4 "Alternate Telephone Number" or 5 "Fax Number" seems to be an optional section. Simply try to put NA in those fields and then write it once printed?

9. Additional Family Information Document - If I am understanding this one correctly I would need to include all close relatives such as step brothers sisters. What if my wife has a massive family with 10 brothers and a lot of unknown details that might not be able to be retrieved? Is this a do your best as possible for or will they really be harsh and what do I do if not able to secure all the details about obscure or deceased folks?

Thanks that's it for now and I really appreciate any tips/assistance and details that anyone provides.

Take care!
1. I suggest getting a new NBI clearance, they might request it anyways since expiring in Oct. It could avoid potential delays in the future.

2. Nothing special needed, whatever size envelope it fits in, you don't have to make it fancy. They suggest only using paperclips, no staples. If extra space is required and you add another form insert it with the form it refers to. Any letters of explanantion can be grouped together at the end.

3. SIN after landing but don't have to wait for PR card. Some provinces have a waiting period before medical coverage, check the province you are going to and get supplemental insurance if required.

4. Only has to be certified if it specifically says so. Translated documents need to be done by a licensed translator and they will certify it.

6. Is the sponsor in Canada or the PH. If in Canada there is no requirement to show that you will or can have a job on arrival but you can mention it. If the Sponsor is in the PH it is a whole different matter.

7. If it says "names" add the middle name, if not then not required if it doesn't ask for a middle name.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Thanks. I (The sponsor) am in the Philippines and will plan to show my financial summary and job research though at this point I am pretty sure that if you have financial means to live it might not matter all that much. I was just wondering if even if that were the case, if it was better to do it anyway even if it's not something I have to do or for her, it might lessen her /our plan if it seems like we are already planning for a backup.

Thanks a lot for responding :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks. I (The sponsor) am in the Philippines and will plan to show my financial summary and job research though at this point I am pretty sure that if you have financial means to live it might not matter all that much. I was just wondering if even if that were the case, if it was better to do it anyway even if it's not something I have to do or for her, it might lessen her /our plan if it seems like we are already planning for a backup.
If you're applying from abroad as a citizen, pay careful attention to the 'intent to return to Canada' part.

Finances help. But both you and your spouse having plans is important in that respect. No, they won't think it's because you plan to break up.

You'll need more demonstration of intent to return and not just a job search, but things that show both of you have plans and are beginning preparations are useful.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019

Thanks a lot for responding :)
Since you are in the PH having your wife showing the potential job would be very beneficial in the application. Even better if she can get a letter from the employer that she might be able to get a position with her current company in Canada.

And I was just going to write what @armoured did as well.

Reactions: armoured

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Yes thanks a lot. Will have a list of my research, persons I have contacted for potential employment and upskilling that I have done to stay current. We will even work towards possibly working for her current company together it's all set in motion already. We are working on getting her HR department to give a notice of our intent, the only issue atm is her direct boss seems to feel that is "not allowed" since she is afraid of getting sued if things don't turn out positive and she doesn't get a job. (LOL) I have already signed up for a variety of job search sites.

But we are going to potentially network over the next few months and work with their HR in Canada.

I will also have a section in my application about wanting to go back to Canada for humanitarian reasons as the political climate and corruption factor here is going to get even worse with the upcoming elections and honestly it is going to be potentially dangerous here. S

It's all a bit silly since I could afford to move back there and support us for 20 years, but I agree it is what it is and we need to satisfy their criteria for proving the return. Honestly if we turn out to have issues I can simply leave and go there on my own first.

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Yes thanks a lot. Will have a list of my research, persons I have contacted for potential employment and upskilling that I have done to stay current. We will even work towards possibly working for her current company together it's all set in motion already. We are working on getting her HR department to give a notice of our intent, the only issue atm is her direct boss seems to feel that is "not allowed" since she is afraid of getting sued if things don't turn out positive and she doesn't get a job. (LOL) I have already signed up for a variety of job search sites.

But we are going to potentially network over the next few months and work with their HR in Canada.

I will also have a section in my application about wanting to go back to Canada for humanitarian reasons as the political climate and corruption factor here is going to get even worse with the upcoming elections and honestly it is going to be potentially dangerous here. S

It's all a bit silly since I could afford to move back there and support us for 20 years, but I agree it is what it is and we need to satisfy their criteria for proving the return. Honestly if we turn out to have issues I can simply leave and go there on my own first.
Sounds like you have researched this more that I thought from your 1st post. Everything you mention are good things.

Writing a letter regarding the political situation etc. will not expedite your processing but if you think it is important to be mentioned with your application then go ahead. Nor will it affect the outcome, the PH is not a country that right now you could say that you are fleeing from due to war, religious persecution etc.

nedvert

Star Member
Jan 23, 2013
Agreed. However I do think that it might actually stand out/cause whomever might read the application to think "Geez, this guy is scared of continuing to live in the Philippines for him and his wife" and see the various links that I have included on rights violations and foreigners having issues/potential problems.

Would just be added fuel to my "go back to Canada" fire :)

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Agreed. However I do think that it might actually stand out/cause whomever might read the application to think "Geez, this guy is scared of continuing to live in the Philippines for him and his wife" and see the various links that I have included on rights violations and foreigners having issues/potential problems.

Would just be added fuel to my "go back to Canada" fire :)
Not needed and I don't recommend it but it's your application, as I said it won't earn you any Brownie points.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
ll also have a section in my application about wanting to go back to Canada for humanitarian reasons as the political climate and corruption factor here is going to get even worse with the upcoming elections and honestly it is going to be potentially dangerous here. S

It's fine to explain why you want to move but that will be the least effective part, I should think; it implies that if things were better you wouldn't live in Canada.

If you have the money and don't want to work, you could just buy a property.) it just may be more cost effective to show job searches.

You don't need to show specific travel dates, they know it's a long process. If you want to refer to moving at some date 8-12 months in future (eg for other preps,) that would probably be fine.

Reactions: Canada2020eh

KATHIA08

Jun 15, 2020
Hello group, I am worried.

In the tracker 95% almost all of March have AOR, we sent the application on March 25 and we still have no signal of anything.

Anyone in the same boat?