+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Linking application issue

jopullan

Jan 31, 2018
Hi,
I found this post in another forum, maybe helpful for you.

1. Create a MyCIC account.

Go to http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/e-services/account.asp
If you have an account at one of the partner institutions listed on the page, you can use your credentials from there to sign in. If not, then create a new account.
2. Set up a GCKey account.

Bookmark the CIC sign-in page as this same page is used both to set up a new MyCIC account and to sign-in to your account once you have created one.
Click on the 'Continue to GCKey' button.
In the sign-in screen, click on the 'Sign Up' button on the right.
Pick a username, password, and recovery information.
3. Link your application to your MyCIC account.

Disclaimer: This part has been tricky and inconsistent for different users. To link your account, you have to enter a particular combination of information, and that set of information seems to vary person by person.

Log in to your MyCIC account (described above) in the ‘Welcome to GCKey’ screen.
In the ‘Welcome XXXX’ screen, click on the Continue button.
In the ‘Terms and Conditions’ screen, click the ‘I Accept’ button.
In the ‘Identity Validations’ screen, you are asked one of your security questions. Answer it and click on the ‘Continue’ button.
In your CIC Account screen, scroll down to the headings marked ‘Link an existing application to this account’ and click on the ‘Link application to this account’ button.
In the ‘Link Application’ screen:
Scroll down to the ‘category’ drop list and select ‘Permanent Residence’. This displays a Sub-Category.
In this sub-category drop list, select the correct sub-category (i.e., Family Class (Spouses)). This displays an ‘Application details’ section.
In the ‘Application Details’ section and in the 'Please select one' drop list, select the combination of data items you want to use to try to link your application. Most of them have been reported to work, but one has worked for many people is the 'Application Number and Family Name' option. See below for details on this.
There does not appear to be any magic best route with guaranteed success. Also note that there is a maximum of 5 attempts to link in any one 24 hour period allowed (although some have reported that it locks out after 4 failed attempts). You can of course have another 5 attempts the next day etc. But a logical approach to the various data permutations you use and persistence seem to pay off. Many people have made 15-30 different combination attempts over several days before they succeeded.

One of the oft-quoted ‘secrets of success’ seems to be to enter the bare minimum of information the screens will accept, rather than simply completing each and every field presented on the screens (you can use the 'failed validation warnings', so the red arrows that appear telling you what you have missed when you try to submit).

One particular route to success that several people have had luck with is the ‘Application number / Family name’ option:

Select the ‘Application number and family name’ option.
Chose number of applicants as 2 (i.e. the Principal Applicant and the Sponsor)
Enter the application number allocated by CIC and the family name
Attempt to submit, a validation error occurs
The validation red arrows indicate that only the birth details section is required (i.e. none of the passport section was highlighted - the drop lists for the passport sections were still available for editing however, normally the unnecessary fields tended to be grey out and turned off).
The above is merely one example that succeeded for several people by a process of trial and error.

Once you successfully link the application, you will see a summary in your CIC ‘Account’ screen.

Scroll down into the ‘What would you like to do today?' section
Further down there is a ‘View my submitted applications or profiles’ sub-heading. Your application for permanent residence appears here.
Click on the blue ‘check status and messages’ button to display tracking details.
[edit]What do the various statuses mean?
Item Statuses
Application / Profile Status Open
Closed
Cancelled
Review of eligibility Not started
Review in progress
Passed
Failed
Review of medical results Not needed at this time
Review in progress
We need medical information
Passed
Failed
Review of submitted documents Only refers to the review of additional documents that are requested
Scheduling an interview Not needed at this time
Need to schedule
Interview cancelled
Interview rescheduled
Complete
A background check is needed Not started
Not needed at this time
In progress
Complete
Final decision Not started
Application approved
Application refused
Applicatoin Withdrawn
Note that 'A background check is needed' is the final step before a decision (for outland applications). Early indications are that this final step takes day or weeks (i.e.not months). When 'Background check' shows as 'In process', 'Review of eligibility' will also remain as 'In process' (this is not an error, since failure of a background check will affect eligibility).
omy.. thank you so much you were the only person who were able to help me.... so informative i have tried to put in number 2 instead of 1 and it worked

Darkite

Apr 7, 2018
I simply had to register to:
a) Say a big "thank you to the community, I would have been extremely frustrated if not for everyone's suggestions on that issue!
AND
b) to share my method that worked fairly fast, actually (stumbled upon it only in my second GCKey account and try #8 :)
  • Used Internet Explorer (not sure it helps, but it was suggested by others)
  • When registering an account (GCKey) use the same letters as in application, i.e. JOHN SMITH if all are in caps
  • App number + Family name (again, same case as in application)
  • I used passport number and dates of issue and expiry (place of birth did not work in several tries)
  • Number included in application = 2.
Hope this helps someone out there, too!!

fpalazzo

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hello everyone!
I'm a bit confused. We got the email below:

UCI: xxxx
Application No.: F xxxxxx
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dear xxxxx,

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2018/03/08 on behalf of the following member(s):

xxxx

I have a few questions:

- Should I link the application online using the number they provided?
- If so, I have my own Sign-in Partner (Bank information). Can I use mine or it has to be my husband's?
- When I choose "Application number and family name" should I use my family name or my husband's - sponsor? (I didn't take his family name yet)

* I tried to use my Sign-in Partner and put different information. I've reached the maximum of attempts for the day.

Thank you!

Last edited:

GentleCyril

Mar 22, 2018
Hello
I have been trying equally to how to move to Canada, I have filled various form as regards this same issue, but the reverse has been the case.

hienha

Sep 6, 2016
Hi. I think it could be the reason. Please make sure that you use Sign-In Partner of the account that you used to pay the fee for CIC. I tried and it worked for my case and my friend's case. My husband used his credit to pay ( Canada one). Then, we used the Sign-In Partner of that account and it worked right the way. Hope it helps.

Reactions: fpalazzo

steve5

Apr 12, 2018
Key is number of applicants, need to include Principal Applicant + Dependents who is joining (if any) + Sponsor +C-signer (if any)
e.g in my case Sponsoring my mom and spouse co-signing so it will 1+1+1=3 Also I choose passport option.

Mort Sinclair

Star Member
Feb 27, 2018
I have been unable to link our paper application to my account either. First, the required fields demand we select a town in the province we'll be living in, only our community is not listed. Second, does anyone know how long it takes for a complete and "in process" / "application received" paper application to be available for linkage?

fpalazzo

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
I have been unable to link our paper application to my account either. First, the required fields demand we select a town in the province we'll be living in, only our community is not listed. Second, does anyone know how long it takes for a complete and "in process" / "application received" paper application to be available for linkage?
Hi, maybe you can leave the field "Town" in blank, since you cannot find it on the list. Also, I've seen on another forum that as soon as you know your application number and UCI, your application is available to be linked.
Personally, I'm still unable to link it, I haven't received the email from CIC requesting to link yet, but I have my application and UCI # already.
Keep trying and good luck!

Reactions: Mort Sinclair

viquar22

Apr 16, 2014
Hi All,

I found it very simple and worked for me.

- Category: Permanent Residence / Sub-category: Quebec-Selected Skilled Worker
- Used Application Number and Family Name (case sensitive (In my case all caps)
- Selected Passport from the drop down
- Filled Passport info exactly as shown on my passport
- Other Application Information:
Quebec
Montreal
married
- Number of family members, including the primary applicant, that are part of

this application: 3

This worked for me. Good Luck!

Ruchir

May 28, 2018
hello, I tried doing it with family name, first name and date of birth in INTERNET EXPLORER and MAGIC! You just gotta keep trying mate. I have no knowledge of a full proof solution. I was earlier trying in Chrome and Microsoft Edge but on my first attempt in Explorer I was successful. But again, I am certain that this is not an issue with the browser per se.
Were you putting the family name, etc in CAPS or Upper-Lower? Please advise.I have tried everything and havent succeeded for last 6 months... Anything will be helpful.

Ruchir

May 28, 2018
Application CIC received on Aug 8th, I am still not able to link my application even that I have tried different ways...how long it takes till they add application on system? When I will be avalaible to link application...?
...what is the right way to link the application on cic section
>Permanent Resident>Provincial nominees
Did you succeed in getting the application linked?Mine was recieved on the 4th of Aug with no success yet?Please help and share your experience.Thanks

Ruchir

May 28, 2018
Hi

I think its good on your end that you have your medical request earlier, nothing to worry about. its just that, i think, they expedite the request and fortunately you were included. And in regard to your application online, did you linked it already? . if not, heres the tip:
1. its okay to make another account if the trials are not successful until you have successfully linked it. Mine, i think i made 4 GCKey accounts until i got it.
2. try use your application number and family name . then just put space in the City/Town of birth , so its blank. then the rest dont answer it.
3. then hit search for my application,
if the system tells you to fill up some required details , thats the time you fill up the required fields.
4. Then hit search again. Well , it works on my end . I think the key here is just hit spacebar in the City/Town of Birth.

then on your last paragraph. i dont have that message, its probably , your submitted papers is not complete. You have to try link your account multiple times so that you can have your action in regards with the incomplete papers.
Hitting just a space bar in the city of birth doesn't work. Has the system changed?Could you try and advise?Thanks

hiteshkumar1986

Star Member
Jul 14, 2017
singapore
NOC Code......
Hi All ,

We already linked our PR cards with CIC account , its showing Approved for me and my kid but still submitted stage for my wife ? any one face this issue ?

moslah82

Jun 6, 2018
Hello everyone!
I'm a bit confused. We got the email below:

UCI: xxxx
Application No.: F xxxxxx
Quote these numbers when corresponding with our office.

This is an automated message. Please DO NOT RESPOND to this message.

Dear xxxxx,

This confirms that your application to Sponsor a Member of the Family Class has been received by Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) on 2018/03/08 on behalf of the following member(s):

xxxx

I have a few questions:

- Should I link the application online using the number they provided?
- If so, I have my own Sign-in Partner (Bank information). Can I use mine or it has to be my husband's?
- When I choose "Application number and family name" should I use my family name or my husband's - sponsor? (I didn't take his family name yet)

* I tried to use my Sign-in Partner and put different information. I've reached the maximum of attempts for the day.

Thank you!
Hello,
I have received same correspondence on May 28 and was wondering if you or the principal applicant received any other communications afterwards and if so after how long did you receive it?
Many thanks in advance

fpalazzo

Star Member
Nov 15, 2017
Hello,
I have received same correspondence on May 28 and was wondering if you or the principal applicant received any other communications afterwards and if so after how long did you receive it?
Many thanks in advance
No, not yet.
Status is the same online.