+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Life after Citizenship

ebs2cloud

Star Member
Nov 21, 2022
Guys,. I have few questions or things one should keep in mind :-

1. I believe I don't have any restriction on how long I can stay outside Canada now, is that accurate ?

2. My spouse is still PR and has citizenship in process. As she would be travelling with me (as Canadian citizen), she would be able to meet residency obligation even though she might be outside Canada. Is that right ?

3. How do I keep Passport Canada, Elections Canada, Jury Duty or GA Canada of my foreign address in case I move out temporarily ?

4. Any other best practices or things I should be aware of ?

Thanks!

Last edited:

wink

May 25, 2021
Guys, I recently acquired Canadian citizenship/passport and now plan to move to US for work for a few years. I have few questions or things one should keep in mind :-

1. I believe I don't have any restriction on how long I can stay outside Canada now, is that accurate ?

2. My spouse is still PR and has citizenship in process. As she would be travelling with me (as Canadian citizen), she would be able to meet residency obligation even though she might be outside Canada. Is that right ?

3. How do I keep Passport Canada, Elections Canada, Jury Duty or GA Canada of my foreign address in case I move out of country ?

Thanks!
Each province has some kind of restrictions/procedure for health care coverage. One can't assume that he/she has coverage as soon as they are back in the province. They expect you to inform them or some kind of procedure to the renew coverage. I am not sure how much they enforce it, but I think there are some conditions. One disclaimer though, I just remember reading something related to this, no direct knowledge or experience.

And watch out for Conservative govt and any change in intent-to-stay policy.

ebs2cloud

Star Member
Nov 21, 2022
Each province has some kind of restrictions/procedure for health care coverage. One can't assume that he/she has coverage as soon as they are back in the province. They expect you to inform them or some kind of procedure to the renew coverage. I am not sure how much they enforce it, but I think there are some conditions. One disclaimer though, I just remember reading something related to this, no direct knowledge or experience.

And watch out for Conservative govt and any change in intent-to-stay policy.
Is anything proposed on intent to stay policy?

sahibo

Star Member
Jun 7, 2022
If you and your spouse are already citizens by the time the conservatives get into power, you will probably be fine. Only PRs will have to worry about intent-to-stay.

And yes, you can stay abroad as long as you want.

• Haha
Reactions: Exorcist

wink

May 25, 2021
Is anything proposed on intent to stay policy?
Don't know. But wanted to highlight that they had it in the past and won't be surprised if it is brought back. Wise thing would be to stay couple of years (instead of packing as soon as one gets the passport), so that even if any such a policy comes back it would be easier to defend one's case. Just my two cents.

Last edited:

ebs2cloud

Star Member
Nov 21, 2022
Don't know. But wanted to highlight that they had it in the past and won't be surprised if it is brought back. Wise thing would be to stay couple of years (instead of packing as soon as one gets the passport), so that even if any such a policy comes back it would be easier to defend one's case. Just my two cents.
They can't apply policy retrospectively for people who are already citizens. All policies have effective date as the date on which they become law.

Moreover, application form that we signed has No such clause. Legally, it is impossible to apply such regulation in a country that runs on rule of law.

A_S

Star Member
Apr 29, 2014
Guys, I recently acquired Canadian citizenship/passport and now plan to move to US for work for a few years. I have few questions or things one should keep in mind :-

1. I believe I don't have any restriction on how long I can stay outside Canada nher application is in processow, is that accurate ?

2. My spouse is still PR and has citizenship in process. As she would be travelling with me (as Canadian citizen), she would be able to meet residency obligation even though she might be outside Canada. Is that right ? C

3. How do I keep Passport Canada, Elections Canada, Jury Duty or GA Canada of my foreign address in case I move out of country ?

Thanks!
1) Once you have taken your citizenship oath you are in for life mate . There will be no restriction and neither will be ever as long as you hold and not renounce it.
2) Check the residency requirement and unless they make a change she should be good with days, since her citizenship is in process and going by different blogs in this forum make sure to take test in Canada and also be available for oath/interview as case may be. Don't give anyone a chance to question her intent.
3)& 4) There are no best practices what so ever after you become a citizen and you can choose to do as you like. Just relax, chase your dreams and do what you need to. Good Luck !

ebs2cloud

Star Member
Nov 21, 2022
1) Once you have taken your citizenship oath you are in for life mate . There will be no restriction and neither will be ever as long as you hold and not renounce it.
2) Check the residency requirement and unless they make a change she should be good with days, since her citizenship is in process and going by different blogs in this forum make sure to take test in Canada and also be available for oath/interview as case may be. Don't give anyone a chance to question her intent.
3)& 4) There are no best practices what so ever after you become a citizen and you can choose to do as you like. Just relax, chase your dreams and do what you need to. Good Luck !
Great, thanks!

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
So you got the canadian citizienship only so you can immigrate the next day once you get your passport to the US?

why didn't you go to the US at first ?

i think the US should really think about putting a visa for canadians so they can stay in there country and don't all move south.

ebs2cloud

Star Member
Nov 21, 2022
So you got the canadian citizienship only so you can immigrate the next day once you get your passport to the US?

why didn't you go to the US at first ?
No, i live in Canada. I just have project go live for which I have to travel for few months in a row.

I am just evaluating my options as we look at recession hiting hi tech industry jobs

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
No, i live in Canada. I just have project go live for which I have to travel for few months in a row.

I am just evaluating my options as we look at recession hiting hi tech industry jobs
It's not about you, almost everyone in this forum once they get there citizneship they want move south literally the next day.

canada is bringing half million immigrants each year that want go south at this rate there will be more immigrants from Canada going to the US than people from mexico.

that's why a VISA wil be necessary to stop this influx of canadians to the US.

anyway enjoy while it last you are free now.

wink

May 25, 2021
It's not about you, almost everyone in this forum once they get there citizneship they want move south literally the next day.

canada is bringing half million immigrants each year that want go south at this rate there will be more immigrants from Canada going to the US than people from mexico.

that's why a VISA wil be necessary to stop this influx of canadians to the US.

anyway enjoy while it last you are free now.
Even now visa is required for work (or living for longer term), is it not?

Reactions: sahibo and A_S

xuan

Star Member
Nov 27, 2018
Even now visa is required for work (or living for longer term), is it not?
Once you get citizenship you can just find work there and apply for tn-status in the border it take 2hours maximum.
and it's renewable forever, that's why canadian citizenship is convenient for people who want move to the states ( and most of new canadian citizen just want the canadian passport to apply for the tn the next day ).

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014

Thanks!
2. Recommendation for your spouse is to come back to Canada to take the test. Probably worth the inconvenience, given processing time for those outside Canada.
4. Probably speak to an accountant & check about declaring yourself non-resident and/or implications on tax filing.

akbardxb

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2013
Mississauga
LANDED..........
28-03-2014
Once you get citizenship you can just find work there and apply for tn-status in the border it take 2hours maximum.
and it's renewable forever, that's why canadian citizenship is convenient for people who want move to the states ( and most of new canadian citizen just want the canadian passport to apply for the tn the next day ).
To each their own. One's got to do what one's got to do. No law is being broken here, so let's not rush to judge anyone. We don't know what their journey is like.