+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

Deepicka

Jul 30, 2015
MASOOD85 said:
Sincere advice to those guys who are still waiting for their work permit and there jobs are on risk because of it, I also suffered a lot due to this issue, but when i know about flag poling option and then i try it, I also applied on 3rd may and dont know CIC will increase the processing time of work permit, So guys go for flagpoling its a easier and less painfull than CIC, For ontario guys , i advised you to go rainbow bridge and got your work permit in an hours and enjoy life :)
But with flagpoling what i understand is that you get a refusal stamp from US upon entry ... I don't want that as it may have negative consequences in future. I have my family in US and would be visiting them later. What's your take on that?

MASOOD85

Star Member
Jun 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, Nova Scotia
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-07-2015
Nomination.....
19-06-2015
Deepicka,

When i did flagpoling , i didn't get the US refusal on my passport, i have US visa so i visited over there and when i was coming back so at canada border i just ask for flag poling , even i visited at odd time i.e at 2:00 AM , So i think flagpoling is best solution in current scenario.

yhayamura

Aug 12, 2015
sidaktoronto said:
you have implied status until a decision is made on your application so you can continue working in this situation till you get your work permit...

you wont be losing your status until your work permit application is refused...and in this period your are eligible to work so you should not have any trouble solving this out... just continue working...

if you got to us you will not be able to enter canada without work permit in hand...
Thank you for the reply!
Yes I am eligible to work as a full time as I am still working. What I know is that I will loose implied status onece I leave Canada before the decision is made on PGWP, so I was worried about when I come back from U.S and I wouldn't be able to continue working only if I didn't receive the PGWP before I travel to U.S.

The situation is, my parents are vising me in Canada, but we were planning to meet them in New York first because they've never been there and want to go for sightseeing in N.Y. I wanted to be with them while they are in N.Y. But worst case senerios, I'll let them enjoy in N.Y by themselves.

It's just difficult to plan ahead without knowing when I am receiving the PGWP. I was little frustrated because of that. So I decided to share my situation and see if anyone had left and re-entered Canada with no problem under this situation.

But thank you again :)

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I have just received my open work permit.

Applied April 28th with upfront medical
Application Approved August 13th
Inland Applicant.

My question is....Am I still on a visitor's status OR I am now on a work permit (Temporary Residence) status which is valid till next year.

Asking because I want to apply for study permit and resume school January since I am now on work permit status.

Thank you

Deepicka

Jul 30, 2015
MASOOD85 said:
Deepicka,

When i did flagpoling , i didn't get the US refusal on my passport, i have US visa so i visited over there and when i was coming back so at canada border i just ask for flag poling , even i visited at odd time i.e at 2:00 AM , So i think flagpoling is best solution in current scenario.
OK but i don't have US visa :(

yhayamura

Aug 12, 2015
Valentine_59 said:
Hey yhayamura,

I was almost in the same situation a few weeks ago, and I can share my experience, maybe it will help you :) Just a few details: I applied on my PGWP on May 12th, with my SP expiring on May 30th. I was planning on staying in Canada with my implied status until the reception of my PGWP. My mother was supposed to visit me for my graduation, and we had planned a 10 days trip.
Unfortunately, an event made that I had to go back to my country on June 6th. I came back in Canada with my mom on June 12th, because I didn't want to miss the graduation and cancel our trip.

Anyway, when we arrived at Montréal airport, things got a bit complicated. The agent at the immigration desk started to ask me a few questions (if I had ever been to Canada, what was the purpose of my stay, etc.). I could not say that I was coming as a worker or a student, because I had basically no document to prove it: I didn't have my PGWP with me (still don't have it), my SP was expired. That's why I said that I was coming as a tourist, which was true because at that time, I was with my mom and we were supposed to go on our trip. Then I was sent to an immigration office where I got questioned for 20 min. The immigration agent was kind of rude, asked me a lot of questions (including the places we were planning on going with my mom, the name of the hotels, what I was planning to do after the trip, etc.). I answered honestly, without saying too much, because I didn't want to say that I was not a simple "tourist", since I was also waiting for a work permit. He took my passport, typed my name on his computer and saw that I had been studying in Canada for two years, and also that I applied for my PGWP. I don't know if it worked in my favor or not, but he finally let me go.

So, if you want my advice, if you can stay here, stay. Re-enter is not easy, I thought that the agents were really suspicious and it wasn't my best experience, even though they let me in. Also, I may be wrong but if you leave Canada, you loose your implied status and as a consequence, the right to work here. Since this is what I've done, I am officially a tourist and I cannot work/study. I knew all that before I went back to my country in June, but I didn't have a choice and I also thought that CIC would be faster to process the PGWP applications... I've been back in Canada for two months now, and being there without working and bills/rent to pay can be a little bit complicated.

Sorry for the long post, hope this could help you! :)
Thanks for sharing!
The situation that you had is what I was kinda expecting to happen! So I think I should not carry on the plan that I wanted to... I just didn't want to take a risk so I wanted to hear from others who had been in the same situation as me :)
I'll be patient and wait for the final decisions on PGWP in Canada then :(

I really appreciate your advice!!!! Thank you!

Deepicka

Jul 30, 2015
Hi All,

To update you I just received a request from CIC to upload OWP receipt of $100 which I did. Countdown starts now :) Find below my timeline for reference:

Applied: May 5th
Paid $100: July 31st (Through CSE)
Blank Update: July 23rd, July 31st (day 88)
Current Status: Waiting as of August 13th (day 101)

clearsky

Aug 13, 2015
Hey All :D ! The following is my timeline for the PGWP application:

Applied: April 29
Paid $100: August 7 (Through CSE)
Blank Update: July 10 & August 7
Current Status: Waiting (107 days as of yet)

raghav30389

Star Member
Aug 6, 2015
Toronto
Category........
CEC
timmituyi said:

Inland Applicant.

My question is....Am I still on a visitor's status OR I am now on a work permit (Temporary Residence) status which is valid till next year.

Asking because I want to apply for study permit and resume school January since I am now on work permit status.

Thank you
Hi timmituyi,

I believe you are now on work permit and that your visitor status is invalid. I am pretty sure that you can still apply for a student permit while you are a temporary resident.

Just curious, did you apply for PGWP or just open work permit? Also, did you have to take the medical test? I am asking you this because I am quite surprised that you received yours earlier than what is hinted on CIC's website.. (it says they are still working on April 9 applications).

Anyways, Congratulations on your work permit and I wish you good luck :)

Regards

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thank you Raghav30389.

I did my medicals 24th April (Upfront Medical) and submitted my application on 28th April.

I applied for open work permit based on my spouse status (full time) student.

I will submit my application for study permit immediately as I am to resume January 2016.

Thanks once again.

raghav30389 said:
Hi timmituyi,

I believe you are now on work permit and that your visitor status is invalid. I am pretty sure that you can still apply for a student permit while you are a temporary resident.

Just curious, did you apply for PGWP or just open work permit? Also, did you have to take the medical test? I am asking you this because I am quite surprised that you received yours earlier than what is hinted on CIC's website.. (it says they are still working on April 9 applications).

Anyways, Congratulations on your work permit and I wish you good luck :)

Regards

Anna_polaca

Star Member
Jul 15, 2015
timmituyi said:
Thank you Raghav30389.

I did my medicals 24th April (Upfront Medical) and submitted my application on 28th April.

I will submit my application for study permit immediately as I am to resume January 2016.

Thanks once again.
Hey, what province are you? I submitted an application for my SP and my spouse OWP on april 24th. I've got mine (the SP) but still waiting for an OWP :(

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
timmituyi said:
Inland Applicant.
Thank you
Timmituyi,

You are now a worker with temporary status.

A word of caution: If you apply for a SP, you will automatically lose your status as a worker. You will become a full time student with conditions to work only 20hrs/week. In other words, that SOWP will not be used anymore.

Cheers!

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Jubear,

Thank you....I am fully aware of that.

Another question pls.... I will be going on a 2weeks trip to US in Sept with my 2 kids but their TRVs expires in December. Can I request for visitor's record for them at the port of entry back to canada? - Due to my current worker status....even though I would have submitted my Study permit application by then.

Kindly advise as i do not want my son out of status.

Thanks.
T.

jubear said:
Timmituyi,

You are now a worker with temporary status.

A word of caution: If you apply for a SP, you will automatically lose your status as a worker. You will become a full time student with conditions to work only 20hrs/week. In other words, that SOWP will not be used anymore.

Cheers!

timmituyi

Star Member
May 16, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello Anna_polaca,

I am in Ontario.

Please how long did your Study Permit take to be approved? - Plan to submit mine tomorrow for January intake.

Thanks,
T.

Anna_polaca said:
Hey, what province are you? I submitted an application for my SP and my spouse OWP on april 24th. I've got mine (the SP) but still waiting for an OWP :(

menezes

Star Member
Jan 20, 2015
timmituyi said:
Thank you Raghav30389.

Thanks once again.

hi timmituyi, your wife received her study permit before you, right? if yes, how many time before?

I am asking because I got my Sp extension approved last week, but my wife's OWP extension is still in process...
we applied on june 11th

same case of Anna

thank you in advance