+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sting123 said:
I got my PGWP yesterday at the Carway border (Alberta). It was an intimidating experience. I crossed over to the US side and informed them that I am here to flagpole. Surprisingly the US CBP officials were friendly and polite. A lady officer issued me a form denying entry into US. Now comes the fun part. I enter the Canadian side only to find that there was nobody at the checkpoint. After waiting for a couple of minutes a CBSA officer showed up. He was rude to say the least. He said they do not process workpermits at this border. I explained the situation to him and said I was here for the PGWP. After this he said it was the wrong time to come to the border as there was a lot of traffic (people waiting for immigration). He asked me to park my car and go inside. I was then asked to wait in a waiting room where I saw the traffic he was referring to. A family of 5 and another person for his PR. I was made to wait for 2 hours before another officer called me and asked me to submit my documents (degree, transcripts, letter from the university, job offer, pay stubs, study permit, off-campus work permit). After this I waited for another hour when I was called again. The officer told me that my new WP was attached to the passport and asked me to pay $255. Another CBSA officer decided to crack a joke and said $255 plus tips. I went outside and checked my WP and luckily it was for 3 years. The reason I said that is a friend of mine who was supposed to come to Carway decided to go to Coutts (AB). The officer there issued a WP for only 22 months as the duration on our program was only 20 months and not 2 years. All said and done I have my WP in hand and can apply for the visa now. Thank you everyone for sharing your experiences. Please feel free to ask me any questions you may have with regards to flagpoling at the AB border.
Sting123,

Congratulations!

You and your friend should remember to get a new SIN at your nearest Service Canada office
http://www.servicecanada.gc.ca/cgi-bin/sc-srch.cgi?app=hme&ln=eng

Cheers!

HamadY

Jul 7, 2015
jubear

Can I do Flagpoling with an expired visa and study permit? While already applied for PGWP in May, also got new U.S. Visa.

If No, how can I get TRV during the implied status??

Please, if any one has an information just share it.

Thank you

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
HamadY said:
jubear

Can I do Flagpoling with an expired visa and study permit? While already applied for PGWP in May, also got new U.S. Visa.
If No, how can I get TRV during the implied status??
Please, if any one has an information just share it.

Thank you
Hi HamadY,

1. No, you cannot apply for a WP with an expired SP or WP at the border. One of those two has to be valid. Having a US visa doesn't help the situation. In fact you might be denied reentry once you cross the border.

2. International students who have graduated from a DLI are advised by CIC to apply for a TRV after they've acquired a PGWP. Current inland TRV processing times for WP holders is only 16 days with an online application and 21 days with a paper application.

3. Once you get your PGWP, your status in Canada changes to worker and you apply for a new TRV (inland) as a worker NOT a student.

4. If you attempt to apply for it while in implied status, your results will inevitably look as those of a prospective student outside of Canada wishing to apply for a SP to enter Canada.

I strongly suggest that you wait until CIC makes a decision on your PGWP application. Its safer that way.

5. Mind you, if your paper/online PGWP application is denied, CIC will give you another 90 days to make an application to restore your status to temporary resident as a visitor (which will be a TRV). Once your restoration is accepted and your TRV is approved, you can then appeal for PGWP. Hopefully it never comes to that.

Stay optimistic and positive. Don't give up yet. All will be well.

I hope that helps.

Cheers!

1234plm

May 23, 2015
Went for flagpoling today at Rainbow bridge - Niagara Border. Got Flagpole paper from US border security without issues.

Came to Canadian side and gave my passport. I was made to wait for 3 hours approximately. The processing seemed to be slow even though many officers were present. Most of them were going in and coming out. Not sure if they had additional responsibilities.

I was finally called and asked for the reason for flag-poling. I told the (male) officer that I wanted to apply for post graduation work permit. He asked me for the docs I had for that. I presented him with letter from my University stating my degree completion, Offer letter from the University and transcripts. The officer asked me about the duration of my program and asked about the date in which I started the program and when I completed the program and all.

I had difficulty in convincing the officer that my program was two years as he wanted exact start and end date of the program in the official letter from the University or transcript (The beginning and end date were not mentioned in my letters)

I showed my offer letter with the start date and degree certificate with the convocation date. He was still not convinced. My course length was 20 MONTHS (4 semesters each with four months duration and including a summer break) I didn't have enough evidence to support my case. I told the officer that my study permit was issued for two years as my program was 2 years long. He didn't accept my case. He told he could provide work permit only for 16 months if cannot prove my program was not 2 years.

He was bit of rude and arrogant and said I was grasping at straws (making futile attempt to get my PGWP). I never expected CBSA to be friendly and he proved me that I was right.

I finally asked him if he could provide me with 16 months work permit. He said he could give that but I cannot extend that and asked me to get letter from my University with start date and end date.

I already have a job offer and started working from last week. I didn't want 16 months work permit. I said i will get letter from my University and come again and headed out without PGWP. (There was no refusal or nothing, I simply got my passport and came out). I am going to wait for my online application to be processed. It's already been 72 days and I have to wait few more weeks/months.

P.S: If you desperately want to get PGWP, please go with proper documents. You could get your work permit but the process may be easy or difficult depending on the officer ( :eek:).

manav.diwan

Jun 30, 2015
I have one last query. I am going to apply for renewing my TRV online. There are certain sections on which I need some clarification. I could really use some help. The questions are as follows:

a. Funds available for my stay
b. Name, address and relationship of any person(s) or institution(s) I will visit
c. Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada: Yes/No. (If i check yes, should I mention about the PGWP that i got?)

And one last thing. If my TRV is renewed via online application, will I get the new visa counterfoil via mail or do I need to get it in person?

I could really appreciate if someone could help me with these questions. Thanks. :)

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
manav.diwan said:
I have one last query. I am going to apply for renewing my TRV online. There are certain sections on which I need some clarification. I could really use some help. The questions are as follows:

a. Funds available for my stay
b. Name, address and relationship of any person(s) or institution(s) I will visit
c. Have you previously applied to enter or remain in Canada: Yes/No. (If i check yes, should I mention about the PGWP that i got?)

And one last thing. If my TRV is renewed via online application, will I get the new visa counterfoil via mail or do I need to get it in person?

I could really appreciate if someone could help me with these questions. Thanks. :)
Hello Manav.diwan,

Redo your eligibility questions and choose worker as your current status in Canada. You will avoid question b) & c).

Once you do that and everything else correctly, the supporting documents that you will need are;

- Proof of Means of Financial Support
- Passport or travel document
- Digital photo

You will most definitely get your counterfoil or document by mail.

Answer the questions carefully.

Cheers!

manav.diwan

Jun 30, 2015
jubear said:
Hello Manav.diwan,

Redo your eligibility questions and choose worker as your current status in Canada. You will avoid question b) & c).

Once you do that and everything else correctly, the supporting documents that you will need are;

- Proof of Means of Financial Support
- Passport or travel document
- Digital photo

You will most definitely get your counterfoil or document by mail.

Answer the questions carefully.

Cheers!
Jubear,
i redid the eligibility questionnaire as a worker only. these are the questions asked in the IMM5257 form, the one i need to fill out for my TRV renewal application. if you could suggest me answers to that, it would be great. thanks

tuwtuw

Jul 7, 2015
1234plm said:
Went for flagpoling today at Rainbow bridge - Niagara Border. Got Flagpole paper from US border security without issues.

Came to Canadian side and gave my passport. I was made to wait for 3 hours approximately. The processing seemed to be slow even though many officers were present. Most of them were going in and coming out. Not sure if they had additional responsibilities.

I was finally called and asked for the reason for flag-poling. I told the (male) officer that I wanted to apply for post graduation work permit. He asked me for the docs I had for that. I presented him with letter from my University stating my degree completion, Offer letter from the University and transcripts. The officer asked me about the duration of my program and asked about the date in which I started the program and when I completed the program and all.

I had difficulty in convincing the officer that my program was two years as he wanted exact start and end date of the program in the official letter from the University or transcript (The beginning and end date were not mentioned in my letters)

I showed my offer letter with the start date and degree certificate with the convocation date. He was still not convinced. My course length was 20 MONTHS (4 semesters each with four months duration and including a summer break) I didn't have enough evidence to support my case. I told the officer that my study permit was issued for two years as my program was 2 years long. He didn't accept my case. He told he could provide work permit only for 16 months if cannot prove my program was not 2 years.

He was bit of rude and arrogant and said I was grasping at straws (making futile attempt to get my PGWP). I never expected CBSA to be friendly and he proved me that I was right.

I finally asked him if he could provide me with 16 months work permit. He said he could give that but I cannot extend that and asked me to get letter from my University with start date and end date.

I already have a job offer and started working from last week. I didn't want 16 months work permit. I said i will get letter from my University and come again and headed out without PGWP. (There was no refusal or nothing, I simply got my passport and came out). I am going to wait for my online application to be processed. It's already been 72 days and I have to wait few more weeks/months.

P.S: If you desperately want to get PGWP, please go with proper documents. You could get your work permit but the process may be easy or difficult depending on the officer ( :eek:).
I saw this happen with someone. You have to absolutely take the letter of degree confirmation and transcript. They want to see the official duration of your program AND make sure you actually attended through those years. Their reasoning was you could have got a study permit for x years but could have actually spent part of it elsewhere (say school in your home country) and gotten transfer credits to graduate -- which makes total sense. As long as you have your transcript + letter of degree confirmation you'll be totally fine. The officers are just doing their job in making sure you got everything to get a PGWP :)

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
OMG!

Applying at CBSA looks very risky!

2nd case in 2 days where they give PGWP for only 16 months for a 4 semester course.

Best to wait for online application to process because they don't require OFFER LETTER showing duration as 16 or 20 months and straight away give 3 year PGWP.

tuwtuw

Jul 7, 2015
nevillek said:
OMG!

Applying at CBSA looks very risky!

2nd case in 2 days where they give PGWP for only 16 months for a 4 semester course.

Best to wait for online application to process because they don't require OFFER LETTER showing duration as 16 or 20 months and straight away give 3 year PGWP.
I don't think it's *that* risky. If you have your papers valid, it's extremely very straightforward. FWIW, I had a conversation with the CBSA agent when I sent there who said that CIC will follow the same exact procedure ie, if they aren't sure about the duration of your program they will ask you to submit a transcript -- which will only delay the processing further.

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
tuwtuw said:
I don't think it's *that* risky. If you have your papers valid, it's extremely very straightforward. FWIW, I had a conversation with the CBSA agent when I sent there who said that CIC will follow the same exact procedure ie, if they aren't sure about the duration of your program they will ask you to submit a transcript -- which will only delay the processing further.
The previous guy presented transcripts as well as offer letter to the CBSA officer. The offer letter didn't have the exact duration stated.

In case of online application, no offer letter is needed. Transcript is enough.

So if the transcript shows 4 semesters, CIC automatically gives 3 years PGWP and doesn't bother about offer letter and actual course duration.

My other friends who did 16 month programs got 3 year PGWP by applying online.

But the 2 guys who applied at CBSA were told that they'll get 16/20 months only because their course was ONLY THAT LONG.

ssas

Jul 13, 2015
Hi guys,

Its my first post on this forum but i must tell you that it is really a big value add just to read through all your comments.

I have a specific question. I had applied for my PGWP along with my spouse's OWP on May 18. Can I go to the border along with my spouse to do a Flagpole? By reading the posts, now I know that flagpole is doable for me. But how feasible it is for my spouse to do a flagpole is the question? If somebody can throw any light on it, I would really appreciate it.

Other details
Applied : May 18
Still waiting for any update
Haven't paid the extra $100

It would be great if any of you could help me on this.

Thanks

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
ssas said:
Hi guys,

Its my first post on this forum but i must tell you that it is really a big value add just to read through all your comments.

I have a specific question. I had applied for my PGWP along with my spouse's OWP on May 18. Can I go to the border along with my spouse to do a Flagpole? By reading the posts, now I know that flagpole is doable for me. But how feasible it is for my spouse to do a flagpole is the question? If somebody can throw any light on it, I would really appreciate it.

Other details
Applied : May 18
Still waiting for any update
Haven't paid the extra $100

It would be great if any of you could help me on this.

Thanks
Firstly, if you applied for both applications at the same time, I must tell you that your wife's will probably be rejected, as your PGWP does not entitles her for OWP.
If you have a skilled job, NOC O,A, or B, then you can apply for her OWP, using the offer of employment/job offer letter, AND a paystub, the most recent one.

evanstp9

Nov 27, 2012
My flagpoling experience, a few days ago:

Rainbow bridge, Niagara Falls. Total 1:30 hour, including CBSA officer's PC crashing down!
I had applied online for PGWP, May 15th, but decided to go ahead and flagpole (mainly for my wife's OWP).

So, I gather all documents, cross the bridge and walk back within 10'. I get called, the officer asked my reason for coming in.. Well organized, I provide all the necessary docs, and also mention that I wanted to apply for my wife's OWP, based on my skilled job, once I have my PGWP.

P.S I have been working full time since May 25, based on R186 (w), which allows a full time student who has completed his studies to do so, as long as he has submitted an application for a work permit (I applied online for my PGWP, on May 15).

Ooops, then the lady paused, and after 2', she's like: I must let you know that you have been working illegaly, you were under implied status but as a student, that didn't authorize you to work, etc etc etc...

Wife scared to death, myself calmly reply back: I mention the R186(w) regulation, and everything I wrote in bold just above, plus the C41 exemption that I am using to apply for her OWP.
The officer then asked for proof of my submission, I had everything (the application printed out, receipt and AOR email, printout).
Her response? OK, have a sit, I'll start with yours and then your wife's sir!!

Eventually, we walked out with our new permits, valid for 3 years (program was 2-year).

Bottom Line: KNOW very well what you want to do, the rules and regulations, and always be honest, and legal!

Good luck to all!