Let's share timeline, PGWP March applicant

cooliomonkey

Jun 25, 2015
Flagpoling

1. Walk passed the Canada immigration office
2. Get a refusal entry paper from U.S. with a flagpoling note
3. Come back to Canada immigration office to apply your PGWP
4. Pay your fees

Total Time: 1.5 hr (including walking and waiting time)

cooliomonkey

Jun 25, 2015
priyaverma said:
Hello

I am planning to do flagpoling as well but I have the following concerns:

1) Do they provide 3 year Open work permit or 1 Year. Do they tell me before issuing that they will one year work permit? Can I then say that I will just wait for my online application to process and return to Canada as I will not be okay with a 1 year work permit.

2) Can they refuse me entry back to Canada? I do hold a valid visa till July 30th.

3) Can I visit US for few days and try it on my way back? They don't stop at CBSA on our way back so I do need to take a special route or something? I am thinking of going through the rainbow bridge.

Thanks!
1. They provide 3 years open work permit & They don't ask about your online application (no extension, start date is the date of your application)
2. They can but unlikely since ur SP is still valid

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
priyaverma said:
Hello

I am planning to do flagpoling as well but I have the following concerns:

1) Do they provide 3 year Open work permit or 1 Year. Do they tell me before issuing that they will one year work permit? Can I then say that I will just wait for my online application to process and return to Canada as I will not be okay with a 1 year work permit.

2) Can they refuse me entry back to Canada? I do hold a valid visa till July 30th.

3) Can I visit US for few days and try it on my way back? They don't stop at CBSA on our way back so I do need to take a special route or something? I am thinking of going through the rainbow bridge.

Thanks!
And to add on what Cooliomonkey said, I strongly suggest you stay clear of delving into saying things they don't need to know. If you mention that you made an online application, you will look like you are wasting their time and will inevitably create suspicion. To be on a safe side be confident, friendly, and only answer the questions they ask and you will be fine.

Good luck.

Cheers!

Manikya Ravi

Jul 10, 2015
Re: Let's share timeline, PGWP May applicant

Hi
I have applied for my pgwp on May 25th and I have job offer on hand and they need my work permit in order to continue their offer. Processing times are too high. I changed my course from 1 year to 3 year when I came to canada. So, I didn't updated my visa to 3 year in my passport and no U.S. Visa too. Am I eligible to go for flag- polling at the Canadian border? What's the checklist if so??

Manikya Ravi

Jul 10, 2015
Hi
I have applied for my pgwp on May 25th and I have job offer on hand and they need my work permit in order to continue their offer. Processing times are too high. I changed my course from 1 year to 3 year when I came to canada. So, I didn't updated my visa to 3 year in my passport and no U.S. Visa too. Am I eligible to go for flag- polling at the Canadian border? What's the checklist if so??

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manikya Ravi said:
Hi
Did you extend your study permit during the duration of your studies? If yes, when does your current study permit expire?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Manikya Ravi said:
Yes, I did and it will expire on July 31 2015
Great. That is good enough. Now take the time to read from page 15 to page 19 for information on what documents to have. Members of this forum have already mentioned a couple of things to know. But obviously you will definitely need the same documents you used to apply online among other things.

Good luck.

Cheers!

pparisa

Mar 25, 2015
Today I have received my PGWP by mail. It was issued on July 2nd and expires in three years.

Thank you everyone for your support. I hope you all will get yours soon.

Applied: March 25th
Paid $100 fee via CSE and submitted by case specific enquiry: June 3rd
Approved: July 2nd
Received via mail: July 10th

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
jubear said:
Yes, do exactly that. If you have your documents with you, go to the border. You can find encouragement from members here who have shared some of their experiences from page 16, 17, & 18 of this forum.

Good luck Nevillek.

Cheers!
But jubear that's not flagpoling right ? I'm already in the U.S. Won't there be a problem?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nevillek said:
But jubear that's not flagpoling right ? I'm already in the U.S. Won't there be a problem?
It doesn't matter Nevillek.

Flagpoling has nothing to do with having a US visa or not. Its about having left Canada for the US and returned with a valid TRV or SP or WP at the Canadian customs to apply for another document.

If you are driving find parking at the US side while you are at the border. Go to the US customs and tell them that you entered the US in order to go back to Canada for immigration procedures and do a flagpole. They actually know the term (its a slang term). They will let you know what to do next. Once you reach the Canada customs, let them know you want to apply for a PGWP.

So don't worry. Use this chance since you are going to be on your way back from the US. As the saying goes, you kill two birds with one stone.

Cheers!

nevillek

Apr 25, 2011
Mumbai
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-07-2013
IELTS Request
Med's Done....
20-06-2013
Interview........
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
05-07-2013
LANDED..........
23-08-2013
But U.S. customs would give me that Orange sticker indicating a flagpole/refusal of entry to US.. do you see the complication?

jubear

May 1, 2015
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
nevillek said:
But U.S. customs would give me that Orange sticker indicating a flagpole/refusal of entry to US.. do you see the complication?
Refusal of entry to the US isn't a crime. It doesn't mean you did something wrong. It’s just an administrative refusal which means it won’t affect any future visa applications, and is necessary to prove that you left Canada and are therefore eligible to go back in through immigration. The note you are given only helps you to return to Canada with your valid SP, WP, or TRV. It is why you hand it over to the Canada customs officials. In fact it is used by PR and other OWP applicants as well. It has different purposes besides WP.

That said if deep down you feel that it will affect you, then either go straight to the Canadian customs and apply for a work permit OR come back to Canada, waste a few minutes, cross the border ask a for a refusal note, return to the Canada customs and apply for a WP OR come back and sit tight for 98 days.

But remember every decision you make is a risk; whether waiting for 98 days or flagpoling. Waiting 98 days is no guarantee for getting a WP.

I understand your fear. However, its not complicated until you complicate it. Just make sure you have all the documents you need.

Good luck.

Cheers!