+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving the U.S. to land in Canada in 16 days! Anyone have time for a once-over?

throwmyapples

Feb 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-19-11
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
07-26-11
File Transfer...
09-27-11
Med's Done....
06-17-11
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-23-11
LANDED..........
06-01-12
My fiancee and I will be landing soon. We are excited/terrified! It's finally here!
We are leaving Kentucky June 1st and are driving with our 2 dogs to Vancouver, BC. An ABF UPack trailer will be arriving a couple days after do, and we booked it for under 3K which I'm really pleased with.

You guys have all been so helpful the whole way through, thank you for your guidance and support!

I had a few questions if anyone had a few minutes:

-Do our U.S.-born adult dogs need anything besides proof of rabies vaccinations? We have paperwork for both of them stating the date/length of the most recent vaccination. Will they be quarantined?

-As a returning resident/citizen/sponsor (myself) and a COPR-holding newcomer (my common-law partner), we have decided to have me claim all goods (furniture, electronics, personal effects) under MY Returning B4 and B4A. We thought about filing separate forms, but the majority of our belongings belong to both of us and have been acquired since we began dating 5 years ago. The only thing that is explicitly each of ours are our iphones and my 2003 Honda Element. Do you think we are making the right decision in filing all goods in one set of B4-B4A paperwork under my name?

-This one is nagging on my mind: We don't have any jewelry of any worth except our engagement rings (we proposed to one another). These rings are not worth more than $500 each, and are more for sentimental value. Do rings like this require formal appraisals and photos in order to be accepted for our approved goods? I can't seem to find a definition of how much value jewelry is to have before it is considered mandatory to have an appraisal done. It would be $100 to have this done here, and that is a lot considering the general dollar value of the rings themselves.

-As a returning resident, is it important for me to close my U.S. bank account? I have a few things that are on auto-payment schedules through this account and I would rather open a Canadian account within a week of arriving and then begin to have my bills taken from my new Canadian account once we've settled in. I have an email from a future employer offering me a position in BC to prove that I will be staying there as the sponsor. Is it still necessary to prove my resettlement when we are crossing? What about resettlement funds, does that still need to be proven at this point?

-Tips on importing the care we are driving up there? I've heard it may not be worth it financially but I need it for my new job immediately so we are definitely going to bring it with us.

-Is this list of documents we'll have when we land at the border enough? We plan to bring these things with us in the car:
-Both our birth certificates
-Her U.S. Passport and her COPR paper
-My U.S. Passport and Canadian Passport
-B4/B4A
-Our medical records, driving records, and driver's licenses
-Her Social Security care, My SIN card and Social Security Card
-Car Import Form
-Rabies records for the dogs
-Email from future landlord thanking us for the deposit we paid on our apartment in BC

Any help is really appreciated! This is such a crazy time! I realize there were quite a few questions so thank you if you made it to the end. ???

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
throwmyapples said:
My fiancee and I will be landing soon. We are excited/terrified! It's finally here!
We are leaving Kentucky June 1st and are driving with our 2 dogs to Vancouver, BC. An ABF UPack trailer will be arriving a couple days after do, and we booked it for under 3K which I'm really pleased with.

You guys have all been so helpful the whole way through, thank you for your guidance and support!

I had a few questions if anyone had a few minutes:

-Do our U.S.-born adult dogs need anything besides proof of rabies vaccinations? We have paperwork for both of them stating the date/length of the most recent vaccination. Will they be quarantined?
No quarantine :) All you need is the proof of rabies vaccine with specific requirements. Per http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/canin4e.shtml,
"The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French;
be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);
state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
indicate the date of vaccination;
indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination)."

throwmyapples said:
-As a returning resident/citizen/sponsor (myself) and a COPR-holding newcomer (my common-law partner), we have decided to have me claim all goods (furniture, electronics, personal effects) under MY Returning B4 and B4A. We thought about filing separate forms, but the majority of our belongings belong to both of us and have been acquired since we began dating 5 years ago. The only thing that is explicitly each of ours are our iphones and my 2003 Honda Element. Do you think we are making the right decision in filing all goods in one set of B4-B4A paperwork under my name?
Having just one B4/B4A will make it easier when your shipment arrives. Just be aware that if the Honda Element is worth more than 10k Canadian, you will have to pay duties on the amount over 10k as a returning Canadian (returning Canadians have a few restrictions immigrants don't have - this 10k limit is one, the other is that goods have to be owned, used and possessed at least 6 months before you turn in your form unless you've been out of Canada at least 5 years)

throwmyapples said:
-This one is nagging on my mind: We don't have any jewelry of any worth except our engagement rings (we proposed to one another). These rings are not worth more than $500 each, and are more for sentimental value. Do rings like this require formal appraisals and photos in order to be accepted for our approved goods? I can't seem to find a definition of how much value jewelry is to have before it is considered mandatory to have an appraisal done. It would be $100 to have this done here, and that is a lot considering the general dollar value of the rings themselves.
Love the fact that you proposed to each other! You don't need a formal appraisal (even for more expensive items) and you can take the photos yourself and attach them to your B4/B4A. They will stamp it along with the other pages and you'll have proof that you legally imported the rings.

throwmyapples said:
-As a returning resident, is it important for me to close my U.S. bank account? I have a few things that are on auto-payment schedules through this account and I would rather open a Canadian account within a week of arriving and then begin to have my bills taken from my new Canadian account once we've settled in. I have an email from a future employer offering me a position in BC to prove that I will be staying there as the sponsor. Is it still necessary to prove my resettlement when we are crossing? What about resettlement funds, does that still need to be proven at this point?
I can't see why you would need to. CRA defines your residency based on what you have in Canada, not abroad. In the US, once you change your address to Canada you'll have to complete a W-8 form confirming you aren't a US resident. If you close it you'll have a very hard time ever opening it again if you need one. Just be sure to declare the interest you earn on your tax return(s).

throwmyapples said:
-Tips on importing the care we are driving up there? I've heard it may not be worth it financially but I need it for my new job immediately so we are definitely going to bring it with us.
Call the border crossing you will cross at to understand their opening times and their specific requirements. Some want you to mail the title to them so they receive it 3 days in advance while other export offices want you to just e-mail them the VIN number.

Get a letter stating your car has no recalls (Toyota is super easy in letting you download it off their owner's website, other brands require you to get it from their dealerships and it'll be much easier - and cheaper - to do while you are still in the US and have a relationship with your dealer). Once you have it, e-mail it to the RIV so that they process it even before you land and that way you'll get the documents faster back from the RIV so you can take your car to be inspected at Canadian Tire after you cross into Canada. Some people have reported that daytime running light installation (and other things you may need to meet Canadian import inspection requirements) are cheaper in the US if you have time to do it before heading up.

Also, if you don't have a Canadian Driver's License yet, check what you'll need (some provinces want letters from US states) - call the Ministry of Transportation to double check you'll have the right info since you'll need it before you arrive.

Are you familiar with the steps of the process? Export car from the US -> import it into Canada (with B4!) -> Canadian Tire import (and if you choose, provincial) inspections -> registration and plating in your Canadian Province (may require DL and proof of Canadian insurance coverage). I'd be happy to answer questions.

throwmyapples said:
-Is this list of documents we'll have when we land at the border enough? We plan to bring these things with us in the car:
-Both our birth certificates
-Her U.S. Passport and her COPR paper
-My U.S. Passport and Canadian Passport
-B4/B4A
-Our medical records, driving records, and driver's licenses
-Her Social Security care, My SIN card and Social Security Card
-Car Import Form
-Rabies records for the dogs
-Email from future landlord thanking us for the deposit we paid on our apartment in BC

Any help is really appreciated! This is such a crazy time! I realize there were quite a few questions so thank you if you made it to the end. ???
That's a great list. I'd only add:
- Camera to capture the moment :)
- For the car export, you'll need your title (unless the CBP post required that you sent it to them beforehand) and registration and proof that you either e-mailed them (in the form of the e-mail back from the CBP post) or that you mailed them the title as required.
- Consider getting letters of experience from your insurance carriers saying you have a clear record - may help for your renter's and car insurance policies up in Canada.
- Take two copies of your B4 and B4As - the officers will appreciate not having to make the copies themselves!

throwmyapples

Feb 27, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-19-11
Doc's Request.
N/A
AOR Received.
07-26-11
File Transfer...
09-27-11
Med's Done....
06-17-11
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
N/A
VISA ISSUED...
12-23-11
LANDED..........
06-01-12
OhCanadiana said:
No quarantine :) All you need is the proof of rabies vaccine with specific requirements. Per http://www.inspection.gc.ca/english/anima/imp/petani/canin4e.shtml,
"The rabies vaccination certificate must:
be written in English or French;
be issued and signed by a licensed veterinarian;
identify the animal (as in breed, colour, and weight);
state that the animal is vaccinated against rabies;
indicate the date of vaccination;
indicate the trade name and the serial number of the licensed vaccine; and
specify the duration of immunity (otherwise, it will be considered valid for one year from the date of vaccination)."

Having just one B4/B4A will make it easier when your shipment arrives. Just be aware that if the Honda Element is worth more than 10k Canadian, you will have to pay duties on the amount over 10k as a returning Canadian (returning Canadians have a few restrictions immigrants don't have - this 10k limit is one, the other is that goods have to be owned, used and possessed at least 6 months before you turn in your form unless you've been out of Canada at least 5 years)
Love the fact that you proposed to each other! You don't need a formal appraisal (even for more expensive items) and you can take the photos yourself and attach them to your B4/B4A. They will stamp it along with the other pages and you'll have proof that you legally imported the rings.
I can't see why you would need to. CRA defines your residency based on what you have in Canada, not abroad. In the US, once you change your address to Canada you'll have to complete a W-8 form confirming you aren't a US resident. If you close it you'll have a very hard time ever opening it again if you need one. Just be sure to declare the interest you earn on your tax return(s).
Call the border crossing you will cross at to understand their opening times and their specific requirements. Some want you to mail the title to them so they receive it 3 days in advance while other export offices want you to just e-mail them the VIN number.

Get a letter stating your car has no recalls (Toyota is super easy in letting you download it off their owner's website, other brands require you to get it from their dealerships and it'll be much easier - and cheaper - to do while you are still in the US and have a relationship with your dealer). Once you have it, e-mail it to the RIV so that they process it even before you land and that way you'll get the documents faster back from the RIV so you can take your car to be inspected at Canadian Tire after you cross into Canada. Some people have reported that daytime running light installation (and other things you may need to meet Canadian import inspection requirements) are cheaper in the US if you have time to do it before heading up.

Also, if you don't have a Canadian Driver's License yet, check what you'll need (some provinces want letters from US states) - call the Ministry of Transportation to double check you'll have the right info since you'll need it before you arrive.

Are you familiar with the steps of the process? Export car from the US -> import it into Canada (with B4!) -> Canadian Tire import (and if you choose, provincial) inspections -> registration and plating in your Canadian Province (may require DL and proof of Canadian insurance coverage). I'd be happy to answer questions.

That's a great list. I'd only add:
- Camera to capture the moment :)
- For the car export, you'll need your title (unless the CBP post required that you sent it to them beforehand) and registration and proof that you either e-mailed them (in the form of the e-mail back from the CBP post) or that you mailed them the title as required.
- Consider getting letters of experience from your insurance carriers saying you have a clear record - may help for your renter's and car insurance policies up in Canada.
- Take two copies of your B4 and B4As - the officers will appreciate not having to make the copies themselves!

Thank you for the wealth of information and for the time you took! I feel much better having heard from you. The car export and import is something we both still need to be familiar with, we have read the Government pamphlets on vehicle importation but they are pretty generalized (unless of course you are bringing a snowmobile or personal aircraft, and then they get REALLY specific), but we don't know much about the export process yet. I didn't know about the recall clearance so I will call the Honda dealership nearby and ask. To be honest, I don't get any of my car work done at the dealership so I don't have any type of relationship with them. I hope this is not a problem. I also hope I don't have any major outstanding recalls. Do you know of any good threads or websites that are more explanatory about U.S. to Canada car importation than the official Border Services and Transport Canada PDFs? It seems most of their information is geared toward Canadians who bought a car while on a visit in the USA, and I (a dual citizen) purchased my car while living here and haven't lived in Canada since 2003 (GOD, I am looking forward to moving back!).

Anyhow, thanks again!! You've been awesome. :)

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you double check with AllisonVSC (another senior member of this forum) about cars import. She had previous experience of bringing her car from South Carolina to Ontario, Canada.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
throwmyapples said:
Thank you for the wealth of information and for the time you took! I feel much better having heard from you. The car export and import is something we both still need to be familiar with, we have read the Government pamphlets on vehicle importation but they are pretty generalized (unless of course you are bringing a snowmobile or personal aircraft, and then they get REALLY specific), but we don't know much about the export process yet. I didn't know about the recall clearance so I will call the Honda dealership nearby and ask. To be honest, I don't get any of my car work done at the dealership so I don't have any type of relationship with them. I hope this is not a problem. I also hope I don't have any major outstanding recalls. Do you know of any good threads or websites that are more explanatory about U.S. to Canada car importation than the official Border Services and Transport Canada PDFs? It seems most of their information is geared toward Canadians who bought a car while on a visit in the USA, and I (a dual citizen) purchased my car while living here and haven't lived in Canada since 2003 (GOD, I am looking forward to moving back!).

Anyhow, thanks again!! You've been awesome. :)
I didn't find a website with all the info and had to rely on piecemeal info and calling the border posts, RIV, and Ministry of Transportation in Canada to make sure I understood the process. It's not hard, you just need to make sure you do the parts in order and have the right docs. For the best overview, take a look at riv.com, but ignore all the info they have on paying duties (as long as your car is on your B4 you won't need to pay GST/HST).

To move the car, there's several steps:
1) Confirm the car is eligible
Check the riv.ca website to confirm that your car is eligible for import and to see what modifications you may need to make (e.g., daytime running lights) to pass inspection once you are in Canada. You can make the modifications either in the US or upon arrival in Canada (i.e., you don't have to do them before crossing the border but do need them to pass inspection in Canada)

2) Prep for the move
- Contact the Ministry of Transportation for your province to understand what you'll need to register your car (e.g., driver's license, insurance, import documentation, etc) and get whatever you need lined up
- I don't know the BC specifics, but Ontario requires an Ontario driver's license to be able to register the car, so make sure you have everything you need with you to get it (e.g., for some states you may need a driver history)
- Get the recall clearance letter (for Honda, my understanding is that you can register on their owner's website and print it directly or get it from a dealer on their letterhead). Send the letter showing no outstanding recalls to the RIV (document is valid for 30 day) to support @ support.riv.ca so they pre-process it. Call them to confirm all's set before you leave the US so you can get anything else necessary before you leave.
- Confirm your US insurance will cover you in Canada and get a letter of experience to help you get Canadian insurance
- Lay foundation to get insurance in Canada (you'll need it to register your car)
- If you don't own the car (e.g., you have a lease or loan), get authorization to export the car from the lienholder
- Make sure you have your car title easily available

4) Export car from the US
You can only export the car at certain border posts in the US and at certain times. So, figure out where you are crossing and then understand their requirements to get the info to them ahead of time - usually they are looking to get the info 3 (sometimes natural, sometimes business) days before you arrive at the border. Take a look at http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx for a good list of border crossings, but then search for the specific info for the border post and their instructions on the CBP website directly. For example, for Buffalo, look at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml and search "export a vehicle" to see an example of the instructions (other crossings sometimes need you to mail them the title so they receive it 3 business days prior so it's important to check for your specifics). You can search for other border crossings at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . Find out the location of the export office online or when you call them (it's not necessarily easy to find when you are at the border).
On the day of the crossing, stop by the CBP export office before you cross the border into Canada so they stamp your title to clear it for export.

3) Import the car into Canada
After you cross the border, tell the officer you are importing the car. Show them the stamped title and they'll send you inside to complete the process. Fill out the document at the Canadian border post - one page with your name, address, etc and car info. You'll need to get Form 1. If your car is included on your B4 (either submitted that day or previously), your tax rate will be 0% but make sure you keep the receipt carefully ... you'll need it at the Ministry of Transportation. Include your e-mail on Form 1 so the RIV e-mail you Form 2 (faster than mailing it). CBSA will be faxing Form 1 to the RIV.

4) Pay the import fee to the RIV and get your Form 2 from the RIV
You'll need to pay $195.00 + GST/HST (or QST) either at riv.com or by calling the RIV at 1-888-848-8240 (Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST), Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST))
You'll need the red numbers from your Form 1 to do this step and they will then e-mail you Form 2 which you'll need to get the car inspected.

5) Get your car inspected for import inspection (at Canadian Tire) and, if necessary, provincial inspection
You'll need to get your car inspected to ensure it meets Canadian standards (remember the checklist you got at the beginning from riv.ca ... they'll check for those modifications so get them done before elsewhere or arrange to have them done at Canadian Tire). The cost is included in the import fee you paid to the RIV. Plan for an hour or hour and a half for the inspection.
Depending on the province, you may need a provincial inspection too. For expediency, you may want to have the provincial inspection done at Canadian Tire the same day. Just tell them when you make the appointment so they can schedule it in.
Canadian Tire will stamp Form 2, which you'll need at the Ministry of Transportation. Make sure they fax the form to the RIV so the system shows you passed the inspection.

6) Register your car and get plates at the Ministry of Transportation
The specifics vary by province

7) Cancel your US insurance and send your US plates back if your state requires them

8) Celebrate!!!

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
OhCanadiana said:
I didn't find a website with all the info and had to rely on piecemeal info and calling the border posts, RIV, and Ministry of Transportation in Canada to make sure I understood the process. It's not hard, you just need to make sure you do the parts in order and have the right docs. For the best overview, take a look at riv.com, but ignore all the info they have on paying duties (as long as your car is on your B4 you won't need to pay GST/HST).

To move the car, there's several steps:
1) Confirm the car is eligible
Check the riv.ca website to confirm that your car is eligible for import and to see what modifications you may need to make (e.g., daytime running lights) to pass inspection once you are in Canada. You can make the modifications either in the US or upon arrival in Canada (i.e., you don't have to do them before crossing the border but do need them to pass inspection in Canada)

2) Prep for the move
- Contact the Ministry of Transportation for your province to understand what you'll need to register your car (e.g., driver's license, insurance, import documentation, etc) and get whatever you need lined up
- I don't know the BC specifics, but Ontario requires an Ontario driver's license to be able to register the car, so make sure you have everything you need with you to get it (e.g., for some states you may need a driver history)
- Get the recall clearance letter (for Honda, my understanding is that you can register on their owner's website and print it directly or get it from a dealer on their letterhead). Send the letter showing no outstanding recalls to the RIV (document is valid for 30 day) to support @ support.riv.ca so they pre-process it. Call them to confirm all's set before you leave the US so you can get anything else necessary before you leave.
- Confirm your US insurance will cover you in Canada and get a letter of experience to help you get Canadian insurance
- Lay foundation to get insurance in Canada (you'll need it to register your car)
- If you don't own the car (e.g., you have a lease or loan), get authorization to export the car from the lienholder
- Make sure you have your car title easily available

4) Export car from the US
You can only export the car at certain border posts in the US and at certain times. So, figure out where you are crossing and then understand their requirements to get the info to them ahead of time - usually they are looking to get the info 3 (sometimes natural, sometimes business) days before you arrive at the border. Take a look at http://www.ucanimport.com/Border_Crossing_Info.aspx for a good list of border crossings, but then search for the specific info for the border post and their instructions on the CBP website directly. For example, for Buffalo, look at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ny/0901.xml and search "export a vehicle" to see an example of the instructions (other crossings sometimes need you to mail them the title so they receive it 3 business days prior so it's important to check for your specifics). You can search for other border crossings at http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/toolbox/contacts/ports/ . Find out the location of the export office online or when you call them (it's not necessarily easy to find when you are at the border).
On the day of the crossing, stop by the CBP export office before you cross the border into Canada so they stamp your title to clear it for export.

3) Import the car into Canada
After you cross the border, tell the officer you are importing the car. Show them the stamped title and they'll send you inside to complete the process. Fill out the document at the Canadian border post - one page with your name, address, etc and car info. You'll need to get Form 1. If your car is included on your B4 (either submitted that day or previously), your tax rate will be 0% but make sure you keep the receipt carefully ... you'll need it at the Ministry of Transportation. Include your e-mail on Form 1 so the RIV e-mail you Form 2 (faster than mailing it). CBSA will be faxing Form 1 to the RIV.

4) Pay the import fee to the RIV and get your Form 2 from the RIV
You'll need to pay $195.00 + GST/HST (or QST) either at riv.com or by calling the RIV at 1-888-848-8240 (Mon. to Fri.: 7:00 a.m. to 12:00 midnight (EST), Sat. and Sun.: 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (EST))
You'll need the red numbers from your Form 1 to do this step and they will then e-mail you Form 2 which you'll need to get the car inspected.

5) Get your car inspected for import inspection (at Canadian Tire) and, if necessary, provincial inspection
You'll need to get your car inspected to ensure it meets Canadian standards (remember the checklist you got at the beginning from riv.ca ... they'll check for those modifications so get them done before elsewhere or arrange to have them done at Canadian Tire). The cost is included in the import fee you paid to the RIV. Plan for an hour or hour and a half for the inspection.
Depending on the province, you may need a provincial inspection too. For expediency, you may want to have the provincial inspection done at Canadian Tire the same day. Just tell them when you make the appointment so they can schedule it in.
Canadian Tire will stamp Form 2, which you'll need at the Ministry of Transportation. Make sure they fax the form to the RIV so the system shows you passed the inspection.

6) Register your car and get plates at the Ministry of Transportation
The specifics vary by province

7) Cancel your US insurance and send your US plates back if your state requires them

8) Celebrate!!!
So does that mean you don't have to pay regular import tax? (HST\PST etc..) and the car will count as a "personal belonging?"

My wife will be importing from WA State -> BC (My current residence) but when she lands, we want to drive the car across Canada (roughly 2-3 weeks) and move to ON. Would I just register it then in ON? As soon as she lands in through BC, we will head east within a week. My spouse will have a WA License. Can we get extended insurance from them until we get to ON?

Any help would be appreciated.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mapleleafs2011 said:
So does that mean you don't have to pay regular import tax? (HST\PST etc..) and the car will count as a "personal belonging?"

My wife will be moving from WA State -> BC (My current residence) but when she lands, we want to drive the car across Canada and move to ON. Would I just register it then? My spouse will have a WA License. Can we get extended insurance from them until we get to ON?

Any help would be appreciated.
It depends on whose B4 the car is on, their status situation (returning Canadian or immigrant) and the value of the car (over/under 10k CDN. If you are a returning Canadian, your B4 exemption is up to 10k and for any item worth over 10k you pay taxes on the value over 10k. New immigrants don't have this per-item limit.

In the OPs case, a 9 year old Honda is unlikely to have a blue-book resale value over 10k CDN. It may help to take a print-out of the value to save time.

mapleleafs2011

Star Member
Oct 19, 2010
OhCanadiana said:
It depends on your situation (returning Canadian or immigrant) and the value of the car (over/under 10k CDN. If you are a returning Canadian, your B4 exemption is up to 10k and for any item worth over 10k you pay taxes on the value over 10k. New immigrants don't have this per-item limit.

In the OPs case, a 9 year old Honda is unlikely to have a blue-book resale value over 10k CDN. It may help to take a print-out of the value to save time.
New immigrant, car valued under 10k probably. Would this be a good time to buy a new LCD TV from the US then lol. For the value, do you just get it off of Kelley Blue Book?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
mapleleafs2011 said:
New immigrant, car valued under 10k probably. Would this be a good time to buy a new LCD TV from the US then lol. For the value, do you just get it off of Kelley Blue Book?
As a new immigrant the value of the car is irrelevant (no 10k per item limit). Take a look at http://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/b4-help-please-t100666.0.html;msg1465354#msg1465354 for a post where I talked about the B4.

For the OP, who is a returning Canadian, I used kbb.com to get an general idea for the reply.
(quick internet search with random KY zip code at kbb.com - http://www.kbb.com/honda/element/2003-honda-element/dx-sport-utility-4d/?vehicleid=2527&intent=trade-in-sell&mileage=150000&category=suv&pricetype=private-party&version=b)
throwmyapples - FWIW, it may help to take a print-out of the value (with your real data) to save time.

northerner

Jun 5, 2012
Re: Bringing a us plated car to Canada

Does anyone know whether a Canadian can bring their us plated vehicle back to Canada for the summer. The car is insured in the us and there is no problem with our insurance company regarding coverage for the vehicle while it is here. It is a 2009 German built car and meets all the requirements for eligibility for entry. We do not want to import it into Canada as it will return to the us in September . The OPP do not have any issues with having the vehicle here.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Bringing a us plated car to Canada

northerner said:
Does anyone know whether a Canadian can bring their us plated vehicle back to Canada for the summer. The car is insured in the us and there is no problem with our insurance company regarding coverage for the vehicle while it is here. It is a 2009 German built car and meets all the requirements for eligibility for entry. We do not want to import it into Canada as it will return to the us in September . The OPP do not have any issues with having the vehicle here.
This is an intricate question and your post doesn't have enough details. Some relevant questions and regulations below to get you started. Also, consider calling CBSA for their thoughts.

Are you - or will you be - Canadian residents or US residents that will be visiting Canada (and therefore be non-residents of Canada). I understand the car "lives" in the US and will return to "live" in the US come September. However, where do you live, and anyone else that may drive the car?

Some of the relevant regulations are below.

Tourists can import cars per D19-12-1 clause 49:
"RIV Program Exemptions
49. Vehicles are exempt from complying with the CMVSS
at the point of entry into Canada if they are imported under
one of the following conditions:
(a) the vehicles are 15 years old or older, or are buses
manufactured before January 1, 1971; the importer
must be able to demonstrate the age of the vehicle;
(b) the vehicles are entering temporarily with:
(1) visitors, for a period not exceeding 12 months;
temporary residents such as students studying at an
institution of learning, for the duration of their
studies in Canada; or individuals with valid work
permits/authorizations for employment for a period
not exceeding 36 months;"

D2-4-1's may also be relevant.
"GUIDELINES AND
GENERAL INFORMATION

Residents of Canada
1. Residents of Canada may operate conveyances on
which duties have not been paid in Canada only in
accordance with the terms and conditions of tariff item
No. 9802.00.00 and the regulations made pursuant thereto.
Purpose of Importation
2. Conveyances imported temporarily under these
Regulations are admissible for personal transportation only
from the point of arrival to a specified destination in Canada
and return within 30 days, when the purpose of importation
is to transport personally owned goods into or out of
Canada.
3. Similarly, customs inspectors may permit importation
in instances where a resident is required, due to unforeseen
circumstances or emergency reasons, to utilize a
conveyance on which duties have not been paid for personal
transportation to reach a specified destination in Canada and
return.
4. Under no circumstances are conveyances admissible
under these Regulations for touring purposes or for other
leisure activities in Canada, nor is any local use permitted
(e.g., point to point movement in Canada).
5. Customs inspectors will grant free importation of a
conveyance under these Regulations only when satisfied
that the applicable conditions have been met."

northerner

Jun 5, 2012
Re: Leaving the U.S. to land in Canada in 16 days! Anyone have time for a once-?

Further to my question earlier about bringing in a us plated vehicle- we are Canadians who reside her and have a vacation property in the us. We would like to enjoy one of our vehicles here during the summer and return it each fall. If we import the vehicle do wee then need to export it in the fall?

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: Leaving the U.S. to land in Canada in 16 days! Anyone have time for a once-?

northerner said:
Further to my question earlier about bringing in a us plated vehicle- we are Canadians who reside her and have a vacation property in the us. We would like to enjoy one of our vehicles here during the summer and return it each fall. If we import the vehicle do wee then need to export it in the fall?
Thanks for the additional details. Assuming you are then visitors to the US during the Fall, after you import the car into Canada you can then have the car "visit" the US while you are in the US for up to a year (temprarily import it, keeping its Canadian registration). See NHTSA and CBP. You can either buy temporary US insurance or have it be covered by your Canadian policy.

Isometry

Aug 18, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo-->Seattle
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct 28 2011
File Transfer...
Jan 9 2012-->Feb 9 2012
Med's Done....
Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
throwmyapples said:
Are you planning on closing the US account at some point after moving to Canada?

My US bank required me to be physically present at one of their branches to close my bank account. They suggested that if that wasn't possible, to add someone else--such as a parent--to the account, and have that person close it after the move. If you'd like to close it after you have your Canadian bank account set up, call them first and make sure you'll be able to do that.

SadieRoo

Star Member
Jan 30, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
OTTAWA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20/04/2013
AOR Received.
24/05/2013
Med's Request
22/04/2013
Med's Done....
18-02-2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
waived
VISA ISSUED...
None needed
LANDED..........
13-02-2014 Whoop Whoop !
We have a Toyota Camry Hybrid 2013 we JUST bought and of course have a car loan but are finding that we really arnt able to bring it across the boarder. Is there any good advice? We really wanted to bring it with, heated seats and all sure would make it nice :p 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)