+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving the U.S. to land in Canada in 16 days! Anyone have time for a once-over?

IslandAnnie

Nov 9, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-11-2012
AOR Received.
29-11-2012
File Transfer...
29-11-2012
Med's Done....
14-11-2012
Passport Req..
08-05-2013 never received, pp submitted 09-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
22-08-2013
This is a great thread! So much good information... we have been living in the US and will be moving to BC this spring. I am the Canadian (with dual US citizenship)

Here's a question (or two :)) - We may or may not be coming to Canada at the same time. My elderly parents are struggling and I may need to return to live in BC before my husband's COPR is received. I will be bringing our older truck (value less than 10K) and he will be bringing our newer car later when he lands. The truck is solely in my name, the car is in both our names. Any issues so far? Will I need to list the car on my "goods following" form, even though my husband will be bringing it when he lands? (I guess the car in both names, although one of us might be residing in Canada by then, is confusing me.)

Second question.. I don't think it is possible to get a BC Driver's license until you are a Resident, so how can you have a DL to import the car when returning or landing?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice!
Annie

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
IslandAnnie said:
This is a great thread! So much good information... we have been living in the US and will be moving to BC this spring. I am the Canadian (with dual US citizenship)

Here's a question (or two :)) - We may or may not be coming to Canada at the same time. My elderly parents are struggling and I may need to return to live in BC before my husband's COPR is received. I will be bringing our older truck (value less than 10K) and he will be bringing our newer car later when he lands. The truck is solely in my name, the car is in both our names. Any issues so far?
None. Sounds reasonable so far.

IslandAnnie said:
Will I need to list the car on my "goods following" form, even though my husband will be bringing it when he lands? (I guess the car in both names, although one of us might be residing in Canada by then, is confusing me.)
As a returning Canadian (assuming you've been living in the US at least one year), you may fill out your own B4. The instructions are at http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5087-eng.html#. You can import your eligible goods duty and tax free, including the truck that is solely in your name. Given that the value of the truck is less than 10k, you can import it duty and tax free (as long as you've owned it at least 6 months unless you've lived abroad for at least 5 years in which case the restriction is relaxed).

Your husband can fill out a separate B4 for his goods, including the car that is in both your names that he will be importing. You could put it on yours too but since he's actually importing it, it's probably easier for it to be on his or he'll need a letter of permission from you. He'll need a notarized signed letter from you that you grant him permission to export and import the car - check with the specific border crossings for their requirements if you aren't going to be physically present (he may want to take a marriage certificate too to prove your relationship).

IslandAnnie said:
Second question.. I don't think it is possible to get a BC Driver's license until you are a Resident, so how can you have a DL to import the car when returning or landing?

Thanks in advance for any answers/advice!
Annie
You don't need a Canadian DL to import the car but do to register the car. So, make sure you have all the documents BC will require to do that as soon as you arrive so you can register the car within the timing allowed. If you move at separate times and BC keeps your US license when you trade it in, check on the impact of turning in your US license on your US car title.

craiglem

Feb 3, 2015
Great thread, and I thought I would resurrect it since I found it so useful.

Does the "owning it for 6 months" rule apply for people who are becoming Permanent Residents? We are considering a vehicle upgrade and trying to decide if we should do it in the States where taxes are less.

Thanks!

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
craiglem said:
Great thread, and I thought I would resurrect it since I found it so useful.

Does the "owning it for 6 months" rule apply for people who are becoming Permanent Residents? We are considering a vehicle upgrade and trying to decide if we should do it in the States where taxes are less.

Thanks!
I'm glad you found it useful :)

When you move to Canada for the first time with the intent of living there for 12 months (i.e., become a PR vs a returning Canadian) there is no minimum time you need to have owned the items. You just need to have owned, used, and possessed them beforehand.

For vehicles, specifically, this means

Code:
15. In some cases, settlers wish to acquire goods in other than their homeland (e.g., while they are en route to Canada), and problems arise at the time of importation when not all of the ownership, possession, and use requirements have been met. As vehicles are frequently involved, the following criteria have been developed to assist settlers in such cases:

(a) the vehicle must have been owned and possessed by the settler, in accordance with the conditions described above, prior to his or her arrival in Canada;
    (b) in addition to having owned and taken possession of the vehicle abroad, the settler must have been legally entitled to operate it in the free environment abroad (e.g., have a valid driver’s licence) and have actually driven it on the open roads abroad for some distance, prior to the date on which the settler arrives in Canada. (note that a test drive using dealer licence plates or a drive only on the manufacturer’s or dealer’s premises does not qualify);
    (c) the vehicle must have been licensed and insured (temporarily or otherwise), in the name of the settler, for use in the free environment abroad during the period it was used;
    (d) documentary evidence is produced at the time of accounting to substantiate that the above requirements have been met;
    (e) all of the remaining requirements of tariff item No. 9807.00.00 are complied with; and
    (f) The vehicle is eligible for importation into Canada in accordance with Transport Canada’s laws and requirements.
http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/publications/dm-md/d2/d2-2-1-eng.html

craiglem

Feb 3, 2015
Thanks again.

So, when I go to register the car in Ontario, they will not try to hit me up for sales tax?

Just trying to dot my I's and cross my T's.

OhCanadiana

VIP Member
Feb 27, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
craiglem said:
Thanks again.

So, when I go to register the car in Ontario, they will not try to hit me up for sales tax?

Just trying to dot my I's and cross my T's.
They shouldn't. They may ask for the customs documentation and confirm the zero customs duty rate.