LEAVING CANADA FOR A MONTH AFTER CTZ APPLICATION

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
OrangeCup said:
Did you notify cic about your travels?
nope I didnt he he he I think if he just passed the application and went for like a month of vacation it doesn't need to inform CIC as in the website they need to let them know because of the test and oath. I did even get my test invite while Im outside Canada. Few days before the exam I went back here in Canada. After the test during the interview she asked me if I will be traveling outside Canada after this test I should inform CIC for oath taking purpose

Nov 06- 2014

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Guys,
Based on my understanding, leaving for a vacation after the test and interview should be fine. Am I correct?
Having been RQed, then will there be any concern if I move to another place in the same area and change my address? I’m postponing this move as I don’t want to have any additional headache other than the RQ. Please share your experiences.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nov 06 said:
Guys,
Based on my understanding, leaving for a vacation after the test and interview should be fine. Am I correct?
Having been RQed, then will there be any concern if I move to another place in the same area and change my address? I'm postponing this move as I don't want to have any additional headache other than the RQ. Please share your experiences.
After the test and interview, you might get your oath invitation, just make sure that somebody is there to collect your mails and make sure that you come back before your oath taking. you will be good then. if you can postponed your moving thats alright. Me after I got my test and interview, I moved to a house and change my address through their website. And got the invitation to new address.

Nov 06- 2014

Star Member
Dec 8, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hoping_canadian said:
After the test and interview, you might get your oath invitation, just make sure that somebody is there to collect your mails and make sure that you come back before your oath taking. you will be good then. if you can postponed your moving thats alright. Me after I got my test and interview, I moved to a house and change my address through their website. And got the invitation to new address.
Great buddy. That's exactly what will happen with me. I just thought of delaying this move until I finish the test.

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Nov 06 said:
Great buddy. That's exactly what will happen with me. I just thought of delaying this move until I finish the test.
yap thats a good idea!! good luck on your test, interview and oath (soon) :D :D :D

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
Nov 06 said:
Guys,
Having been RQed, then will there be any concern if I move to another place in the same area and change my address? I'm postponing this move as I don't want to have any additional headache other than the RQ. Please share your experiences.
You're very correct. Going for vacation should and will most likely not raise any concerns.
Now, if vacation is in the home country .... maybe.
If re-enter canada the day before test/interview, for sure will raise questions.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
As per the following link, I don't see any harm going outside canada for vacation etc after submitting the application. Only thing to be aware about is to meet residency obligation and there should be someone who can pick up mails on your behalf from cic and inform you about test/interview/additional documentation etc. Sometimes ecas does not update properly thus don't rely on ecas fully. Also once intent to reside clause comes into effect then yes, it can be concern but right now there is no concern.
Also CIC determines your eligibility according to the 4 years history and passport stamps for citizenship. Stamps after those 4 years should not be a point of concern as it will not determine any eligibility for citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

Make sure person informs CIC if they leave for more than 2 weeks in a row according to the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
As per the following link, I don't see any harm going outside canada for vacation etc after submitting the application. Only thing to be aware about is to meet residency obligation and there should be someone who can pick up mails on your behalf from cic and inform you about test/interview/additional documentation etc. Sometimes ecas does not update properly thus don't rely on ecas fully. Also once intent to reside clause comes into effect then yes, it can be concern but right now there is no concern.
Also CIC determines your eligibility according to the 4 years history and passport stamps for citizenship. Stamps after those 4 years should not be a point of concern as it will not determine any eligibility for citizenship.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

Make sure person informs CIC if they leave for more than 2 weeks in a row according to the following link:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/become-after.asp
AGREE! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

tds69us

Nov 22, 2011
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
After I applied in January, I started going and coming back to the states every week for business. I'll keep doing that till May. I'm not worried about not catching up with my mail because I get an opportunity to check it every weekend, however, I'm not sure how the CO will look at my case (especially that i'll keep doing that till may). Do you think they'll have doubts about my intentions to reside while my applications is being processed? (even if I explain that my company wants me to do so)

Maple_tree15

Star Member
Mar 10, 2015
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Interview........
Waived
LANDED..........
08-09-2011
I wouldn't travel abroad while my application is not concluded, unless if it's absolutely imperative. One word of advice though: notify CIC of your absence if you plan on staying out more than two weeks in a row. Of course, you don't have to but if things go wrong, say they require additional documents (application in considered incomplete and therefore is returned) or you are scheduled for an interview or a test. I'm just saying.... Ultimately, it is your call!

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
glass77 said:
hello,
I just applied for my citizenship application and was going through the CIC website and say While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
•you change your address,
•you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,

Bang on my head, should I inform them or is it ok not to inform them kind of confused after reading lot of info in the forum.

Do I write a letter and send it to them or inform the call center agent that I will be leaving Canada for a month.

IS IT REALLY MANDATORY TO INFORM THEM ?

the website says that it needs to be informed to any advice on this would be really helpful.
The responses by sept15 and Juney cover this.

What thecoolguysam observed is the concern:
"The main reason is that if you don't tell cic and go away for one month you might miss important correspondance from CIC like test invite/additional documentation etc etc. ideally you should inform CIC"

But as sept15 and Juney suggest, there is little risk of a problem in the two months immediately following submission of the application, since it takes this long for CIC to actually open the package, screen for completeness, and do the other initial checks done at CPC Sydney.

That said, it would be prudent to be sure someone you trust is collecting your mail and you can trust them to examine the contents of any correspondence from CIC, and to notify you if there is an immediate need to respond to a request for information or documents. This is not likely to happen this soon after applying, but it is better to avoid taking chances.

glass77 said:
hi beahoue,

I think I am going to do that too, since I just submitted my application so I don't think I need to worry too much so once I am back I wil inform the CIC agents.

I BELIEVE THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY IF I INFORM THEM LATER, Seniors Advise please.
There is no reason to notify CIC of a temporary absence after the fact.

There is a distinction between what an applicant is required to report, versus what an applicant can choose to report to CIC, relative to travel while an application is pending.

It is mandatory to report any material change in the information submitted in the application, and the applicant signs an agreement to do just that (it is part of the signature box on the application). Thus, for example, it is mandatory to notify CIC of a change in residential address (recognizing many do not and still do not have a problem -- but that is more or less about getting-away-with-it).

The instruction to notify CIC of travel more than two weeks abroad is to avoid scheduling the applicant for an event the applicant cannot attend, or requesting a response from the applicant which due to the travel the applicant might not be able to timely meet. Remember, the failure to attend a scheduled event or timely respond to requests from CIC constitutes grounds to terminate the application as abandoned unless the applicant can provide a reasonable excuse, and generally travel abroad is NOT an accepted excuse.

The applicant who fails to notify CIC of travel plans thus accepts the risk that he or she might fail to get a notice or request from CIC in time.

But as beauhoe suggested, informing CIC of travel abroad can result in a hold on processing for significantly longer than one might anticipate.

Regarding post-application stamps in passport:

Contrary to the suggestion by MUFC, there is no indication that ordinary, brief trips abroad after applying will have any negative impact on the processing of a citizenship application. Sure, stamps reflecting a return to Canada just in time to attend the test can cause CIC to elevate its scrutiny, issue RQ. Sure, stamps or other travel indications indicating living or working abroad can similarly invite elevated scrutiny. Thus, for example, stamps showing a pattern of frequent travel abroad could trigger questions.

Ordinary holidays or brief business trips abroad after applying should not be the least bit problematic.

I was outside Canada several times during the eight months between when I applied and I took the oath, although just a bit over two weeks was the longest trip I took and the others were for a few days at a time.

ERJOPA

Star Member
Jan 14, 2015
"Also once intent to reside clause comes into effect then yes, it can be concern but right now there is no concern."

I would argue that (in some offices) it is a concern. If you read the many posts about "getting mini RQ'ed after test and interview, it seems that some Officers have already implemented the intent clause on their own behalf for their own work load. Add to that the slow transferred applications in Calgary and Edmonton (over a year until test letter) and you get a "system" where (because of the "good for one year" RCMP checks) the Officers have to re-submit RCMP and CBSA checks to see what has happened over that one year, and if anything happens to change from those checks, the Officers have a valid reason to question an applicants intent, and thus, when questioned in the interview, the applicant's answers may or may not satisfy the Officer's curiosity, sometimes resulting in the mini RQ.

If you want to travel while your application is still in the system, go ahead. Keep in mind, though, that they are already looking for intent to reside (based on the posts here in this forum). That's why I am staying put in Canada - I intend to reside here for the rest of my life and there are many good places to travel to here in Canada for vacations.

Just my 5 cents worth.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
ERJOPA said:
"Also once intent to reside clause comes into effect then yes, it can be concern but right now there is no concern."

I would argue that (in some offices) it is a concern. If you read the many posts about "getting mini RQ'ed after test and interview, it seems that some Officers have already implemented the intent clause on their own behalf for their own work load. Add to that the slow transferred applications in Calgary and Edmonton (over a year until test letter) and you get a "system" where (because of the "good for one year" RCMP checks) the Officers have to re-submit RCMP and CBSA checks to see what has happened over that one year, and if anything happens to change from those checks, the Officers have a valid reason to question an applicants intent, and thus, when questioned in the interview, the applicant's answers may or may not satisfy the Officer's curiosity, sometimes resulting in the mini RQ.

If you want to travel while your application is still in the system, go ahead. Keep in mind, though, that they are already looking for intent to reside (based on the posts here in this forum). That's why I am staying put in Canada - I intend to reside here for the rest of my life and there are many good places to travel to here in Canada for vacations.

Just my 5 cents worth.
The mini RQ is for various reasons but mainly they use for checking usa entry exits. They issue such mini RQs when they have a doubt of residency after checking the passport stamps. Also they will always request dates for relevant 4 year period not before or after the four years.