+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LEAVING CANADA FOR A MONTH AFTER CTZ APPLICATION

glass77

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
hello,
I just applied for my citizenship application and was going through the CIC website and say While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
•you change your address,
•you plan to leave Canada for more than two weeks in a row,

Bang on my head, should I inform them or is it ok not to inform them kind of confused after reading lot of info in the forum.

Do I write a letter and send it to them or inform the call center agent that I will be leaving Canada for a month.

IS IT REALLY MANDATORY TO INFORM THEM ?

the website says that it needs to be informed to any advice on this would be really helpful.

world

Star Member
Feb 26, 2011
NO YOU DONT HAVE TO INFORM, IT SAYS,

Asking questions about your application

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
•you are charged with a crime or
•we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.
FROM MY UNDERSTANDING IF YOU ARE LEAVING FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS AND YOU NEED TO ASK QUESTION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION THAN YOU NEED TO CALL THEM TO BE UPDATED ABOUT YOUR TEST,OATH ......

beauhoe

Champion Member
May 24, 2010
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glass77 said:
hello,
I just applied for my citizenship application and was going through the CIC website and say While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:

Bang on my head, should I inform them or is it ok not to inform them kind of confused after reading lot of info in the forum.

Do I write a letter and send it to them or inform the call center agent that I will be leaving Canada for a month.

the website says that it needs to be informed to any advice on this would be really helpful.
I suggest you let them know of your absence. After my test in June 2014, I was going to a conference for a week in Europe and decided to stay for another week after the meeting. I call the center and told them that I am going away for two weeks but guess what! my application was hold back for six months post-test. However, I finally took the oath last December. If I have to do it again, I will contact them as soon as I get back.
Wish you the best.
Cheers,

era1521

Oct 7, 2014
world said:
NO YOU DONT HAVE TO INFORM, IT SAYS,

Asking questions about your application

While we process your application, you should only contact CIC if:
•you are charged with a crime or
•we do not contact you about your file within the posted processing times.
FROM MY UNDERSTANDING IF YOU ARE LEAVING FOR MORE THAN 2 WEEKS AND YOU NEED TO ASK QUESTION ABOUT YOUR APPLICATION THAN YOU NEED TO CALL THEM TO BE UPDATED ABOUT YOUR TEST,OATH ......
For me, "you should contact CIC if....." it means you have to contact CIC if plan you travel more than two weeks. Otherwise would be " you may contact CIC...."

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glass77 said:
hello,

I submitted my application July 2013 went on vacation august to October, i didint informed CIC ;o) but everything is OK I got my citizenship without any haste ;o)

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
glass77 said:
hello,

If you have just applied (within few weeks), you do not need to let them know. Here are few things to kep in mind:
They might get back to you if you are missing any documents, but that is not a big deal, you can submit any missing documents when you get back. You will be little behind in the queue...

You have to let CIC know if you will be out of the country around the time you will be called for test or oath... and if you are RQed you will have limited time to respond as well - those are few risks you are taking...

but again, if you have recently applied, I would not worry about letting them know... but do expect that your application might be returned when you are out of the country... it usually takes 1.5 months for cic to return your application once they receive it.

later,

Juney

Star Member
Dec 6, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Same here. Submitted application and then went for vacation for a month after 2 weeks from submission. Did not inform CIC. Maybe you need to inform them if you think you are close to a test invite or oath, to make sure you will not miss the dates/deadline of the correspondence from
CIC. Good Luck.

glass77

Star Member
Jun 15, 2012
hi beahoue,

I think I am going to do that too, since I just submitted my application so I don't think I need to worry too much so once I am back I wil inform the CIC agents.

I BELIEVE THERE IS NOTHING TO WORRY IF I INFORM THEM LATER, Seniors Advise please.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
glass77 said:
hello,

This is the answer:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

The main reason is that if you don't tell cic and go away for one month you might miss important correspondance from CIC like test invite/additional documentation etc etc. ideally you should inform CIC

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
thecoolguysam said:
This is the answer:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=911&t=5

The main reason is that if you don't tell cic and go away for one month you might miss important correspondance from CIC like test invite/additional documentation etc etc. ideally you should inform CIC
Sam, so in theory, if someone is checking the mailbox of the absentee regularly and can alert him of any communication, then it's safe for him to travel then? Just applying logic and thinking out loud....

OrangeCup

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
The problem will be when the officer see extra stamps after the test... CIC doesn't like extra stamps, they want the people to stay here. That's is the best option.
Now they are obsessed with the Canadians of convenience idea.

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
The problem will be when the officer see extra stamps after the test... CIC doesn't like extra stamps, they want the people to stay here. That's is the best option.
Thanks mufc

hoping_canadian

Jun 20, 2014
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
MUFC said:
well me during my interview she asked me if I went somewhere after I file my citizenship and I have 2 months vacation, another one month, and maybe 6 trips to US. But its ok. She just asked me what did I do during those vacations. She just lists down all the dates that I gave it to her and nothing else. I didnt get any trouble in my applications.

OrangeCup

Star Member
Feb 13, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
hoping_canadian said:
well me during my interview she asked me if I went somewhere after I file my citizenship and I have 2 months vacation, another one month, and maybe 6 trips to US. But its ok. She just asked me what did I do during those vacations. She just lists down all the dates that I gave it to her and nothing else. I didnt get any trouble in my applications.
Did you notify cic about your travels?

MUFC

Champion Member
Jul 14, 2014
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You didn't had any trouble, that is fantastic, but what about the others?