+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after the oath

Fae7

Oct 18, 2016
I had a ceremony. And they asked me: Am I going to leave Canada in the near future. At first, I honestly answered yes. But then the employee asked the same question a couple more times until I answered No. Then he said, attention, if you leave the country, we will know.
My friend has a similar situation. when he said he was going to leave the country soon. The officer said: are we stopping the ceremony or are we continuing? After that, the friend replied that he would not leave the country after the ceremony, and the officer continued his procedures. Has anyone had such examples? We didn't break any laws. What is the point in such behavior?
Hello are you planning to leave Canada ? I’m planning to get my certificate then leave, I will get my passport from the embassy. Is that a problem ?
Is your friend going to mail you the certificate ?

Kylesh

May 11, 2022
Hello are you planning to leave Canada ? I’m planning to get my certificate then leave, I will get my passport from the embassy. Is that a problem ?
Is your friend going to mail you the certificate ?
yes, I will do the same. I will leave with a certificate and get a passport through the embassy. I don't see any problems.

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
I had a ceremony. And they asked me: Am I going to leave Canada in the near future. At first, I honestly answered yes. But then the employee asked the same question a couple more times until I answered No. Then he said, attention, if you leave the country, we will know.
My friend has a similar situation. when he said he was going to leave the country soon. The officer said: are we stopping the ceremony or are we continuing? After that, the friend replied that he would not leave the country after the ceremony, and the officer continued his procedures. Has anyone had such examples? We didn't break any laws. What is the point in such behavior?
My question to you is once you had said 'yes' then why did you change your answer to 'no'? Clearly he/she didn't believe you first time around, also in respect of that question you can say yes and your circs may change so meaning you have to fly without any notice so they ask the question however if you choose to change it....then obviously alarm bells or 'red flags' are going to happen.

Kylesh

May 11, 2022
My question to you is once you had said 'yes' then why did you change your answer to 'no'? Clearly he/she didn't believe you first time around, also in respect of that question you can say yes and your circs may change so meaning you have to fly without any notice so they ask the question however if you choose to change it....then obviously alarm bells or 'red flags' are going to happen.
In my opinion, when they ask me three times after I answered Yes, they want to hear the answer No. That's why I said No. It's strange, but the third time when I answered No, the officer no longer asked the question, he began to trust me more, as you said? :)

sheikhzaid

Aug 14, 2011
Visa Office......
Chennai
AOR Received.
12-07-2019
My wife needs to leave Canada the next day after taking her oath of citizenship with no set date of returning to Canada (possibly ~ 1 year). She has all the passport application paperwork ready with signatures, photos, etc. What would be the best way how to apply for passport?
  1. Should she ask our friends/relatives in Canada to mail her the citizenship certificate abroad and apply for her passport at Canadian Embassy?
  2. Or should she leave the papers with our friends and ask them to mail her application once the certificate arrives (and eventually to deliver her the passport once it is processed)?
I've found a similar thread from pre-COVID times, but I understand that current processing times might make the whole situation different. I've heard scary stories of passport applications from overseas (through embassy) taking years to process.

I'm leaning towards option 2 as it uses "regular" process. Any opinions what would be a better way and why?
may I ask how she's planning to stay in her country since her citizenship status would be lost?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
In my opinion, when they ask me three times after I answered Yes, they want to hear the answer No. That's why I said No. It's strange, but the third time when I answered No, the officer no longer asked the question, he began to trust me more, as you said? :)
You must've looked dodgy on the camera hence why they asked you 4 times....I was asked once and said 'no' and no further questions after that....also luck of the draw I guess.

Kylesh

May 11, 2022
You must've looked dodgy on the camera hence why they asked you 4 times....I was asked once and said 'no' and no further questions after that....also luck of the draw I guess.
They stopped asking me too after I answered "No, I don't plan to leave the country". I wonder how many times they would ask you the question if you answered Yes.

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
I suggest to apply abroad……depending on the embassy some places are faster than others

Last month, Canada embassy in Islamabad(Pakistan) processed my child’s passport(renewal) in 17 business days. Quite fast and met service standards.
It takes 3-4-5 months in canada to get a passport via mail-in. Its faster abroad……you can speed things up by getting your photos ,guarantor, forms(apply abroad ones) etc done before leaving canada…..

Reactions: Kylesh

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
They ask this of everyone. If you leave the country it's harder to get the certificate (and passport that gets you entry back into Canada).
Hi, so I work in USA now (Green Card) and after completing my Oath (on 24th Aug), will be coming back to USA by road. My address on file is already from USA and I know that for passport applications, they allow to do application from USA.
Since my address on file is already from USA, would they send my citizenship certificate to USA address and using that I can apply for the passport?

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Hi, so I work in USA now (Green Card) and after completing my Oath (on 24th Aug), will be coming back to USA by road. My address on file is already from USA and I know that for passport applications, they allow to do application from USA.
Since my address on file is already from USA, would they send my citizenship certificate to USA address and using that I can apply for the passport?
I just found this: https://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=1560&top=5

Would this be true for paper application as well?

Ana.me

Star Member
Jan 19, 2020
Strange! Theybwill stop the ceremony if you are planning to leave the country for good? Or even if you want an urgent process so you can get ur certficate and have a small summer trip after 3 years?!

canvis2006

Champion Member
Dec 27, 2009
Toronto
Visa Office......
Paris, France
NOC Code......
FC4 - PGP
App. Filed.......
May 2009
Doc's Request.
March 2012
File Transfer...
Jan. 2013
Med's Request
May 2013
Passport Req..
July 2013
VISA ISSUED...
August 2013
LANDED..........
Sept 2013
Canadian citizens have freedom of movement. There is no need to tell cic about your plans after becoming citizen. Just say yeah I’m here in (city)…..
Get the ceremony done, grab your certificate and leave if u can (obviously on your other nationality’s passport).
then apply passport at nearest cdn embassy at your destination or hone country. I can’t understand why people r scared from embassies? Thats what their consular section is for! To help u get your travel docs if necessary.

back in 2011 when cic still gave those laminated citizenship cards and even before the oath ceremony most of the people taking oath already had forms filled for passports, lol. The staff even told us to go to 2nd floor in the Scarborough building to apply! Nobody cared back then about dates and whether we left canada next evening!
only tell them wat they want to know. You do your thing. Just ensure the application/guarantor dates are that on/after oath ceremony

vir03

Star Member
Jun 14, 2013
Where was your ceremony? Was it online - which office?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
Strange! Theybwill stop the ceremony if you are planning to leave the country for good? Or even if you want an urgent process so you can get ur certficate and have a small summer trip after 3 years?!
No, they ask you this because they cannot guarantee you'll have your certificate by the time you leave. It has nothing to do with restricting your rights. They asked me and I told them I was leaving in about a month and they explained they could not guarantee I would have my certificate (for passport app) soon..but also told me my US passport & certificate would get me back into Canada and CBSA would be understanding giving the backlog of passport apps & citizenship oath ceremonies. (In the end, this was moot bc I got both the cert and the passport in under a month.)