+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Leaving Canada after the oath

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
My wife needs to leave Canada the next day after taking her oath of citizenship with no set date of returning to Canada (possibly ~ 1 year). She has all the passport application paperwork ready with signatures, photos, etc. What would be the best way how to apply for passport?
  1. Should she ask our friends/relatives in Canada to mail her the citizenship certificate abroad and apply for her passport at Canadian Embassy?
  2. Or should she leave the papers with our friends and ask them to mail her application once the certificate arrives (and eventually to deliver her the passport once it is processed)?
I've found a similar thread from pre-COVID times, but I understand that current processing times might make the whole situation different. I've heard scary stories of passport applications from overseas (through embassy) taking years to process.

I'm leaning towards option 2 as it uses "regular" process. Any opinions what would be a better way and why?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I'm leaning towards option 2 as it uses "regular" process. Any opinions what would be a better way and why?
Personally I'd suggest apply for the passport at embassy/consulate abroad. There's nothing 'irregular' about the procedure, perfectly normal and I've done it a few times. If there's no rush, then I don't see why it would be worse than by mail (and with advantage of mostly avoiding regualr post/couriers and customs processing).

I admit, though, that my experiences with this are pre-covid and mostly at an embassy where I knew to some degree the consular office was functioning (and it was in same city).

Other advantage is if they screw up in timing that you'd be dealing with the same office for emergency travel docs.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
My wife needs to leave Canada the next day after taking her oath of citizenship with no set date of returning to Canada (possibly ~ 1 year). She has all the passport application paperwork ready with signatures, photos, etc. What would be the best way how to apply for passport?
  1. Should she ask our friends/relatives in Canada to mail her the citizenship certificate abroad and apply for her passport at Canadian Embassy?
  2. Or should she leave the papers with our friends and ask them to mail her application once the certificate arrives (and eventually to deliver her the passport once it is processed)?
I've found a similar thread from pre-COVID times, but I understand that current processing times might make the whole situation different. I've heard scary stories of passport applications from overseas (through embassy) taking years to process.

If she has not yet taken the oath (assuming she hasn't since you speak as though she hasn't left Canada yet), she cannot have the passport application signed yet. The forms cannot be dated before you take the oath. Of course, you can lie about the date they were signed, but that's your own business.

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
If she has not yet taken the oath (assuming she hasn't since you speak as though she hasn't left Canada yet), she cannot have the passport application signed yet. The forms cannot be dated before you take the oath. Of course, you can lie about the date they were signed, but that's your own business.
I meant mainly signatures of guarantor, which would be difficult to get after leaving Canada, I'm not sure if she signed it herself already or not. But it's a good reminder that it should be done after the oath, thanks.

(Edit: Or did I get it wrong and you actually meant that the guarantor's signature has to be dated after her oath as well?)

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
Personally I'd suggest apply for the passport at embassy/consulate abroad. There's nothing 'irregular' about the procedure, perfectly normal and I've done it a few times. If there's no rush, then I don't see why it would be worse than by mail (and with advantage of mostly avoiding regualr post/couriers and customs processing).

I admit, though, that my experiences with this are pre-covid and mostly at an embassy where I knew to some degree the consular office was functioning (and it was in same city).

Other advantage is if they screw up in timing that you'd be dealing with the same office for emergency travel docs.
This sounds very reasonable, thanks for your opinion. It will probably be better to apply at the embassy then.

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I meant mainly signatures of guarantor, which would be difficult to get after leaving Canada, I'm not sure if she signed it herself already or not. But it's a good reminder that it should be done after the oath, thanks.

(Edit: Or did I get it wrong and you actually meant that the guarantor's signature has to be dated after her oath as well?)
If any date on the application is pre-Citizenship, it will raise flags. Prior to taking the Oath, one is not a citizen and is not eligible for a Canadian passport.

Reactions: bellaluna

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016

Just tell her to apply from outside and to the nearest Canadian Embassy.....I've done that and I'm now 6 weeks and waiting.....apparently they're taking upto 8 weeks to process

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Just tell her to apply from outside and to the nearest Canadian Embassy.....I've done that and I'm now 6 weeks and waiting.....apparently they're taking upto 8 weeks to process
Pre-covid etc it was about 4 weeks, give or take.

One point: one nice thing about doing them abroad, unlike in Canada, the consular section will usually let you keep your passport while awaiting the new one (you will have to show it though), because they know in most countries you need to have a passport as a basic form of ID. They will of course cancel the old one (by cutting off a corner or similar) when you pick up the new one.

Obviously doesn't apply to the scenario for a new citizen but to keep in mind.

jan_svab

Apr 22, 2017
If any date on the application is pre-Citizenship, it will raise flags. Prior to taking the Oath, one is not a citizen and is not eligible for a Canadian passport.
Got it, thanks for pointint it out. Better redo the forms from scratch after the oath then.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Would you mind sharing here what was your total time to get the passport once you receive it?

Dalboy1980

Jan 21, 2016
Got it, thanks for pointint it out. Better redo the forms from scratch after the oath then.

Thanks, this is very helpful. Would you mind sharing here what was your total time to get the passport once you receive it?
Yes of course I'll keep you posted....

Orlaith

Nov 15, 2013
Do you not need to have your PR card to leave Canada? I thought they made you cut it up during the oath?

harirajmohan

VIP Member
Mar 3, 2015
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney, NS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-May-2015
Doc's Request.
30-Dec-2015 ReminderEmail(PCCs, NewPassport via cse 31-Dec-2015)
Nomination.....
SK 22-Apr-2015
AOR Received.
11-Aug-2015
Med's Request
23-Dec-2015
Med's Done....
20-Jan-2016
Passport Req..
26-May-2016 (BGC In Progress 25-May-2016)
VISA ISSUED...
PP Reached Ottawa:27-May-2016, Received:10-Jun-2016
LANDED..........
PR: 09-Jul-2016, PR Card: 17-Aug-2016
Do you not need to have your PR card to leave Canada? I thought they made you cut it up during the oath?
There is no exit immigration clearance for canada while leaving. So you dont require while leaving. You just need necessary travel document for destination country.

Kylesh

May 11, 2022
I had a ceremony. And they asked me: Am I going to leave Canada in the near future. At first, I honestly answered yes. But then the employee asked the same question a couple more times until I answered No. Then he said, attention, if you leave the country, we will know.
My friend has a similar situation. when he said he was going to leave the country soon. The officer said: are we stopping the ceremony or are we continuing? After that, the friend replied that he would not leave the country after the ceremony, and the officer continued his procedures. Has anyone had such examples? We didn't break any laws. What is the point in such behavior?

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
I had a ceremony. And they asked me: Am I going to leave Canada in the near future. At first, I honestly answered yes. But then the employee asked the same question a couple more times until I answered No. Then he said, attention, if you leave the country, we will know.
My friend has a similar situation. when he said he was going to leave the country soon. The officer said: are we stopping the ceremony or are we continuing? After that, the friend replied that he would not leave the country after the ceremony, and the officer continued his procedures. Has anyone had such examples? We didn't break any laws. What is the point in such behavior?
They ask this of everyone. If you leave the country it's harder to get the certificate (and passport that gets you entry back into Canada).

Kylesh

May 11, 2022
May be. But before that, they already asked about the address and we answered that friends at this address can always pick up the certificate. The officer replied that's ok.

Another note, the officer asked to see the window to confirm we were in Canada.