+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Latest Travel Restrictions 10/July/2020 : To finalize your permanent residence application but not settle here yet

Canada2020eh

Champion Member
Aug 2, 2019
Hello everyone,
I made my landing on 24th July. No questions asked. They completed all documents. One thing they told me extra was that it takes at least a year for PR card to arrive now due to COVID-19 backlog. Other than that. Everything normal.
We were just notified yesterday the PR card is in the mail, 3 months since landing.

GKCanada1

Jul 15, 2020
Wow, great news though... but PR cards at least year thats too much , i know couple of guys who linked their PR cards on CIC website and it is showing around 126 days for the delivery, anyways, you landed permanently or coming back soon?
Hey, I will be going back but in a month or two, no plans as of yet.

Batina

Jul 30, 2020
Hey, I will be going back but in a month or two, no plans as of yet.
Hello - would you mind telling me how you plan on flying back if the PR card will take a year? I was under the impression that you can't travel back without one.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello - would you mind telling me how you plan on flying back if the PR card will take a year? I was under the impression that you can't travel back without one.
One can certainly travel back without a valid PR card if they are in possession of a prtd.

zombiebombay

Jul 22, 2020
Mumbai
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Mumbai
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
18-09-2019
AOR Received.
06-10-2019
Passport Req..
04-03-2020
VISA ISSUED...
18-03-2020
Dear All,
Please note the Program Delivery Instructions seem to be updated. Date not mentioned, but earlier this page was different.
With list of docs that we need to provide when we raise the Ready to Travel WebForm for our Visa Extension.
After this doc submission stage - I don't know if additional processing will be done or not.
Have a look:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html

FJK1982

Apr 14, 2020
Dear All,
Please note the Program Delivery Instructions seem to be updated. Date not mentioned, but earlier this page was different.
With list of docs that we need to provide when we raise the Ready to Travel WebForm for our Visa Extension.
After this doc submission stage - I don't know if additional processing will be done or not.
Have a look:

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/permanent-residence.html

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/corporate/publications-manuals/operational-bulletins-manuals/service-delivery/coronavirus/travel-restrictions/non-optional-non-discretionary.html
Yeah, seen that,, seems to extend the CoPR after expiry required some good documents, and the first phare is for guys like us who are outside US and having VALID CoPR which has been issued before 18th MArch.

Valid COPR and PRV
Travelling from any country other than the US (group 1)

If the COPR and PRV were issued on or before March 18, 2020 and are still valid, the applicant

• is exempt from the travel restrictions
  • can travel to Canada for non-discretionary reasons with the COPR and PRV in order to settle and live in Canada as a permanent resident and
  • must have an acceptable plan to quarantine for 14 days in Canada
Applicants must check the issue date in the Application Details section of their COPR to see if this applies to

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Thanks everyone for their contributions on this thread it has been very helpful.

As you will all be aware, the travel restrictions got extended until end of August, unsurprisingly. I raised another webform on 16th July to ask for further clarification after receiving a fairly generic reply to my first - the reply to the first was received just before the update on 10th July and said we were exempt from travel restrictions and could fly to Canada (I then booked my flights and accom for anyone that didn't see my previous posts). I have not received a reply to my second webform. I am not passed the date for being able to get refunds for accom and doubt I will be able to postpone my flights now so I have little choice but to fly to Canada in a few days time (something I want to do - I do not want to try and extend COPR as per my previous posts). I also have a solid quarantine plan, it seems that this is the thing they are most bothered about.

It has been encouraging to hear that many people have not had any trouble during check-in and immigration process, but I am still anxious about doing all of this, especially as a lot of the stories are from people who are going to settle and don't have a return ticket anyway. I believe @FJK1982 is in a similar situation and is flying today, so, if you could let us know how it went it would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar theme has anyone heard of anyone being refused to board or turned away at immigration specifically because they plan to leave Canada sometime after they have completed quarantine?

dsamerwyn

Mar 4, 2019
Thanks everyone for their contributions on this thread it has been very helpful.

As you will all be aware, the travel restrictions got extended until end of August, unsurprisingly. I raised another webform on 16th July to ask for further clarification after receiving a fairly generic reply to my first - the reply to the first was received just before the update on 10th July and said we were exempt from travel restrictions and could fly to Canada (I then booked my flights and accom for anyone that didn't see my previous posts). I have not received a reply to my second webform. I am not passed the date for being able to get refunds for accom and doubt I will be able to postpone my flights now so I have little choice but to fly to Canada in a few days time (something I want to do - I do not want to try and extend COPR as per my previous posts). I also have a solid quarantine plan, it seems that this is the thing they are most bothered about.

It has been encouraging to hear that many people have not had any trouble during check-in and immigration process, but I am still anxious about doing all of this, especially as a lot of the stories are from people who are going to settle and don't have a return ticket anyway. I believe @FJK1982 is in a similar situation and is flying today, so, if you could let us know how it went it would be greatly appreciated.

On a similar theme has anyone heard of anyone being refused to board or turned away at immigration specifically because they plan to leave Canada sometime after they have completed quarantine?
Our story: me and the wife just landed last night, besides being queue being terribly long which took us almost 2 hours, nothing was asked at all. At the first cbsa check, we were asked where we are quarantining to which we replied airbnb, and then we were asked food arrangements to which we replied insta cart and we have friends staying in the same area who will drop by and leave us food at our doorstep .

Then the second cbsa check where they sign our copr, like I said the queue was brutal took us almost 2 hours, but with the officer went really smooth. No questions asked at all, as a matter of fact we had to remind him to take an address for the pr card because he forgot . We will be flying back on the 15th of this month .

Reactions: Adam261

DC888

Star Member
May 22, 2020
Our story: me and the wife just landed last night, besides being queue being terribly long which took us almost 2 hours, nothing was asked at all. At the first cbsa check, we were asked where we are quarantining to which we replied airbnb, and then we were asked food arrangements to which we replied insta cart and we have friends staying in the same area who will drop by and leave us food at our doorstep .

Then the second cbsa check where they sign our copr, like I said the queue was brutal took us almost 2 hours, but with the officer went really smooth. No questions asked at all, as a matter of fact we had to remind him to take an address for the pr card because he forgot . We will be flying back on the 15th of this month .
That's great, congrats and thank you for sharing. Can you tell me about what happened when checking in at the start? Did the airline themselves have any questions or did they just accept you had COPR issued before 18 March? Did you have a goods accompanying or following lists?

Adam261

Star Member
Mar 17, 2020

that's interesting , thank you for sharing.
but you guys are not afraid to travel back before you have the PR cards ?

Doubleface72

Aug 2, 2020
Dear all,

I have been a quiet reader for a long time (almost 3 years) but today i feel like a have a moral obligation to share my story with you all.

• My journey starts on 12th December 2018 with AOR.
  • Remedics somewhere around October 2019
  • PPR on 12th December 2019
  • COPR + Visa stamp received on January 2020
  • VISA valid til October 2020.

I decided to take my chance in August since PPR holders are exempt from travel ban and since i went through PNP program to get my PPR, it was mandatory to travel to the destination province (Ontario)

So flight situation was like this:
Casablanca - Montreal "Layover around 8 hours" Montreal - Toronto

All formalities were done at Montreal PoE.

At the electronic counter: ( Took me 10min)
  • You have to scan your passport
  • To take a picture of yourself
  • To answer some questions about goods you are bringing, criminal record and goods to follow. (Yes or No questions)
  • At the end it generates a small form with your details *
  • You will need also to fill a form manually ( name, passport ,quarantine address and telephone number).

At Police counter: (Took me 5 min) officer was very friendly
  • You give your passport
  • The small printed form
  • The manual filled form
  • The police officer reminds you about the quarantine period and redirect you to the immigration counter

At the immigration counter: (Queue took 20 min and the formalities 10 min) officer was very friendly
You get a ticket number and wait for your turn
when its your turn the officer asks you the following:
  • Passport
  • COPR
  • Address for PR delivery
  • He then asks you to wait for 5min and then call you to welcome you as PR and tell that it requires 2 months to get the PR card.
  • He also said that you can apply for SIN online.
  • Reminds you about quarantine
  • Asks about how to get foods and drugs to which i respond online

Next:
  • Wait for the next flight at the airport
  • Arrived at Toronto
  • Took a cab to my destination
  • Quarantine myself (12 days to go)

That's pretty much it,
No one asks about soft landing, so i believe one have the right to flight back whenever he wants as long as he is able to get the PR card mailed abroad.
i think what really counts here is the email we all received about CORP issued before 18 March and the quarantine plan, the rest is not fully enforced.

Reactions: Batina and Adam261

Batina

Jul 30, 2020
Dear all,

I have been a quiet reader for a long time (almost 3 years) but today i feel like a have a moral obligation to share my story with you all.

• My journey starts on 12th December 2018 with AOR.
  • Remedics somewhere around October 2019
  • PPR on 12th December 2019
  • COPR + Visa stamp received on January 2020
  • VISA valid til October 2020.

I decided to take my chance in August since PPR holders are exempt from travel ban and since i went through PNP program to get my PPR, it was mandatory to travel to the destination province (Ontario)

So flight situation was like this:
Casablanca - Montreal "Layover around 8 hours" Montreal - Toronto

All formalities were done at Montreal PoE.

At the electronic counter: ( Took me 10min)
  • You have to scan your passport
  • To take a picture of yourself
  • To answer some questions about goods you are bringing, criminal record and goods to follow. (Yes or No questions)
  • At the end it generates a small form with your details *
  • You will need also to fill a form manually ( name, passport ,quarantine address and telephone number).

At Police counter: (Took me 5 min) officer was very friendly
  • You give your passport
  • The small printed form
  • The manual filled form
  • The police officer reminds you about the quarantine period and redirect you to the immigration counter

At the immigration counter: (Queue took 20 min and the formalities 10 min) officer was very friendly
You get a ticket number and wait for your turn
when its your turn the officer asks you the following:
  • Passport
  • COPR
  • Address for PR delivery
  • He then asks you to wait for 5min and then call you to welcome you as PR and tell that it requires 2 months to get the PR card.
  • He also said that you can apply for SIN online.
  • Reminds you about quarantine
  • Asks about how to get foods and drugs to which i respond online

Next:
  • Wait for the next flight at the airport
  • Arrived at Toronto
  • Took a cab to my destination
  • Quarantine myself (12 days to go)

That's pretty much it,
No one asks about soft landing, so i believe one have the right to flight back whenever he wants as long as he is able to get the PR card mailed abroad.
i think what really counts here is the email we all received about CORP issued before 18 March and the quarantine plan, the rest is not fully enforced.
Thanks for the detailed narrative and congratulations on your landing. I'm in the same situation as you and trying to figure out whether to fly or extend my COPR. Would you mind answering a couple of questions?

Did they agree to mail the PR card to an address outside Canada?

How long do you plan to stay in the country?

Thanks in advance.