+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landlord forcing me to buy tenant insurance

AndreaLauren

Dec 23, 2018
Ohh..well I did say "I think" so wasn't 100% sure. I'm sure I read this somewhere tho, and now can't find it.
I found a comment by a lawyer that sorta explains it.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-get-compensation-for-a-hotel-room-if-my-apar-3470840.html

Im in BC as well, and I have been trying to find what the law EXACTLY says about all this. The Residential Tenancy Act makes no reference to this scenario so I have been googling. Can you direct me to where it says it is the responsibility of tenants, not landlords. I don't know where to look.
If I find that website again, (where I read about the landlord paying the difference), I will post link here.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Most landlords want tenants to get tenant insurance because most are unaware that they will have to pay for alternate accommodations and to replace personal items if even there is something like a fire. The landlord is trying to get tenants to protect themselves.

Reactions: EstherBarros

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Ohh..well I did say "I think" so wasn't 100% sure. I'm sure I read this somewhere tho, and now can't find it.
I found a comment by a lawyer that sorta explains it.

https://www.avvo.com/legal-answers/can-i-get-compensation-for-a-hotel-room-if-my-apar-3470840.html

Im in BC as well, and I have been trying to find what the law EXACTLY says about all this. The Residential Tenancy Act makes no reference to this scenario so I have been googling. Can you direct me to where it says it is the responsibility of tenants, not landlords. I don't know where to look.
If I find that website again, (where I read about the landlord paying the difference), I will post link here.
There is likely nothing in the Residential Tenancy Act because it is ridiculous to expect landlords to pay the cost, unless the reason for needing alternate accommodation is directly the fault of the landlord.

https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/housing-tenancy/residential-tenancies/solving-problems/2018-wildfires/2018-wildfires-frequently-asked-questions

Reactions: canuck78

AndreaLauren

Dec 23, 2018
Oh, thank you for the info. ..you seem to know a bit about "landlord tenant problems", so I hope you don't mind if I share my dilemma.
I've been researching this bc I'm in the middle of a situation right now. (That's how I found this forum!)

My tenant keeps expecting me to pay for her alternative accommodations. We had a leak from the third floor, and half of her laminate flooring had to be lifted and some holes in the walls to dry out. She still could easily live there, still had water, electricity, hydro..etc..albeit she might have been a bit squished as it is a studio apartment. Besides making it very clear that she extremely disliked having to move her stuff around , she also complained the paint fumes were making it hard to breath when the holes were filled in and painted. Then the "off gassing" from the new floor was making her ill and she really believes I am supposed to put her in alternative lodgings. Isn't my rent reduction that I've given her supposed to cover any costs that arise while she is inconvenienced?

Boy, next time I am definitely going to make sure my tenants have renters insurance!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Oh, thank you for the info. ..you seem to know a bit about "landlord tenant problems", so I hope you don't mind if I share my dilemma.
I've been researching this bc I'm in the middle of a situation right now. (That's how I found this forum!)

My tenant keeps expecting me to pay for her alternative accommodations. We had a leak from the third floor, and half of her laminate flooring had to be lifted and some holes in the walls to dry out. She still could easily live there, still had water, electricity, hydro..etc..albeit she might have been a bit squished as it is a studio apartment. Besides making it very clear that she extremely disliked having to move her stuff around , she also complained the paint fumes were making it hard to breath when the holes were filled in and painted. Then the "off gassing" from the new floor was making her ill and she really believes I am supposed to put her in alternative lodgings. Isn't my rent reduction that I've given her supposed to cover any costs that arise while she is inconvenienced?

Boy, next time I am definitely going to make sure my tenants have renters insurance!
Double-check your tenancy agreement. Unless it is stated in the agreement that you would pay or if you neglected to do repairs that caused the issue, it doesn't appear that you have to pay.

You can also contact the Residential Tenancy Board.

AMScarry2019

Star Member
Apr 30, 2018
Thailand
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Singapore
App. Filed.......
24-07-2017
Doc's Request.
26-09-2017
Med's Request
22-11-2017
Med's Done....
26-11-2017
Interview........
not requested
Passport Req..
03-05-2018
I have recently received a notice of annual rent increase, which I was anticipating. But the landlord is saying that property insurance is now required prior to any tenancy or renewal. According to the landlord, this is now mandatory in Ontario as of 2018 (not verified by any authentic source). The landlord also demands that they be added as an additional insured under my policy! I have a monthly tenancy, by the way.

Could anyone kindly assist me with the following:
1. Can my landlord force me to take property insurance claiming that it is now mandatory in Ontario?
2. Is there any authentic source that does say it is now mandatory in Ontario as of 2018?
3. Can my landlord demand to be added as an additional insured under my policy?

Thanks.
Hello,

1. In Ontario, according to the Landlord and Tenant Board (in 2020), Tenant's insurance is NOT MANDATORY. However, if it is stipulated in the Rental Tenancy Agreement, and the Renter signs it, then the renter is legally obliged to obtain said insurance.

2. Look on the LTB's FAQs (http://tribunalsontario.ca/ltb/faqs/) and check the answer to this.

3. I wonder that the Landlord may be confused about the terms of the Renter's Insurance, or is acting on the advice of his own insurer? A component of Renter's Insurance, is in fact Rental Liability, that is, coverage for acts of omission or commission which caused damage to the Landlords property. For instance, if the Renter leaves the taps on and floods the basement, it is their fault. The Renter's Insurance covers against any claim made against them.
This is what I believe to be true based on my limited experience as a Landlord and through discussion with my insurance agents and realtors.
You should discuss this for absolute certainty with your own insurance agent.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hello,

1. In Ontario, according to the Landlord and Tenant Board (in 2020), Tenant's insurance is NOT MANDATORY. However, if it is stipulated in the Rental Tenancy Agreement, and the Renter signs it, then the renter is legally obliged to obtain said insurance.

2. Look on the LTB's FAQs (http://tribunalsontario.ca/ltb/faqs/) and check the answer to this.

3. I wonder that the Landlord may be confused about the terms of the Renter's Insurance, or is acting on the advice of his own insurer? A component of Renter's Insurance, is in fact Rental Liability, that is, coverage for acts of omission or commission which caused damage to the Landlords property. For instance, if the Renter leaves the taps on and floods the basement, it is their fault. The Renter's Insurance covers against any claim made against them.
This is what I believe to be true based on my limited experience as a Landlord and through discussion with my insurance agents and realtors.
You should discuss this for absolute certainty with your own insurance agent.
Do you realised you responded to a 1.5 years post. Whatever the confusion, the tenancy probably ended or resolved.