+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing second time in Canada alongwith PR Card

info4sourav

Star Member
Jul 8, 2014
International driving licence will be a very good idea. Just attention in Ontario it is only valid for 60 days after you settle there.
But it will allow you to borrow a car and to drive it during that time while trying to get at least G2.

You do not need POF, but you need to declare any sum of money above 10k per person that you bring in to Canada.
In order to get a health card you need to have:
your PR card, your passport or a driving licence (Canadian of course) and a document of proof of your address (for example rental contract. Funny is, that a future rental contract is not accepted unless it already started.
Be also aware that OIHP will not cover everything (you have to pay for a dentist separately).
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am trying to get an International Driving permit so as to be able to drive a vehicle (even if it's rented) if required for, in the initial few days. Does it help in any way to get a license in Canada in due course?

As per the developments taking place at my end, I may have to go to a small town called Timmins, in Northern Ontario. I hope the place has centres for applying for health cards and driving licenses.

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Thanks a lot for your reply. I am trying to get an International Driving permit so as to be able to drive a vehicle (even if it's rented) if required for, in the initial few days. Does it help in any way to get a license in Canada in due course?

As per the developments taking place at my end, I may have to go to a small town called Timmins, in Northern Ontario. I hope the place has centres for applying for health cards and driving licenses.
Timmins is a m smaller mid-sized town in northern Ontario definitely at least one service Ontario site (actually 2!) and a DMV. It is small but not that small. They have a hospital. Would try and secure a family doctor. That could be challenging.

cool_eagle

Jul 3, 2015
dear all!

i intend to travel to toronto in very near future from my home country for the 2nd time for permanent relocation, after a gap of about 1.5 year. About 1.5 year earlier i did a soft landing of about 1 week (immediately within one month of having COPR )

According to my understanding, i need to keep following documentss handy for staff at toronto airport,
1) PR card
2) passport
3) Goods to follow list

Please let me know if any other documents are required ? Also let me know what other type of questions can i expect from the staff ? or will the gap of 1.5 years will cause any problem to me entry to the canada ?

Thanks a lot

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
dear all!

i intend to travel to toronto in very near future from my home country for the 2nd time for permanent relocation, after a gap of about 1.5 year. About 1.5 year earlier i did a soft landing of about 1 week (immediately within one month of having COPR )

According to my understanding, i need to keep following documentss handy for staff at toronto airport,
1) PR card
2) passport
3) Goods to follow list

Please let me know if any other documents are required ? Also let me know what other type of questions can i expect from the staff ? or will the gap of 1.5 years will cause any problem to me entry to the canada ?

Thanks a lot
You need your PR card and passport ready when you check in and before you can board your plane to Canada. The staff will probably ask you why you are absent from Canada this long.

Reactions: Best4best

Khabz

Aug 9, 2016
Hello friends,

My wife and I, will be making the final move to Canada this July. Before this, we had made a short landing in 2016 and received our PR cards. I would like to know about the following and request you to kindly enlighten me based on your personal experiences and knowledge.

1) While we will travel through the airports at our home country (India) and Canada, will our PR cards suffice the need for visa or any similar formality? Do we just need to carry our passports and PR cards, alongwith the tickets at both the places?

2) For second time entry, do we again need to declare funds at the airport of entry at Canada? we had already done so while first landing there.

3) I understand that it takes minimum of 3 months to get Health Cards (in provinces like Ontario), keeping it in mind we have got an insurance coverage of 4 months. is there anything else that we need to keep in mind in relation to this?

4) Before applying for a local driving license, I intend to apply for an International License at my home country . does anyone have experience of getting International Driving License at India and how does it work in Canada? with an International License, can someone drive a private vehicle?

Regards,
Sourav
Hi, i also did my soft landing in 2018 for 1 week. Now i will be moving permanently after approx 1.2years. So according to the website, it says I can drive with International driving permit for 60 days. Was wondering if my 60 days started once i did my soft landing or 60 days depends on the number of days you have lived in ontario?

Thanks in advance.

Also, did your manage to rent a car on your international license?