+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

rkhan15

Star Member
Jul 19, 2016
Hello All,

I will be driving to Toronto Area from US to do my landing in March alone while my family will get there later. Has anybody done this recently? I am planning on getting a temporary place through airbnb for a month and then look for one bedroom apartment before my family arrives in early April. My COPR expires in Mid April so all three of us need to be there before then. Can anyone provide some insight as to how long does it usually take to find a place that's located within 30 minutes of Toronto; keep in mind that I wouldn't have a credit history and don't have a job yet.

Thanks.

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Greetings,

I am planning a soft landing for 4 days in Feb-18. Do i apply for SIN once i land, as i read somewhere that it takes 10 days to receive the SIN card and it is not advisable for someone else to have your SIN card.

So do i have to apply for SIN immediately? Or i should apply for it when i finally move to Canada?

fzin1

Jan 3, 2018
Hi everyone! It's my first post in here. My husband and i both received Canadian PR Visa in last year july! I'm an Australian Citizen. At the time of collecting our passport there was no visa label on my passport. I have unfortunately misplaced my COPR document. The question is the date for arrival was written on 1st week of may. Will it be ok if I travel only with my Australian passport or do I need to have the COPR document as well.
The manila office processed our application. I sent them an email regarding this butthey haven't responded. What aee the steps that I can do in this case?
Also is it an obligation to arrive with my husband forthe very first time? I'm planning to go back to Australia for some important work and this has been an issue

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Greetings,

I am planning a soft landing for 4 days in Feb-18. Do i apply for SIN once i land, as i read somewhere that it takes 10 days to receive the SIN card and it is not advisable for someone else to have your SIN card.

So do i have to apply for SIN immediately? Or i should apply for it when i finally move to Canada?
No SIN card to receive anymore. You can apply later.

samirradia

Oct 5, 2016
I am landing in April'18. I have following queries:
(1) I intend to bring 20K CAD during first landing. How do we bring (second time) or have the money wired (later) without attracting any tax? What declaration are to be made during first landing? What is the time period limit for bringing second lot of money from India, tax free?
(2) If I have 50K CAD and carry the same to Canada. If I get a good job and able to survive in CAD without having to use these 50K CAD, can I take 50K back to India without any tax and have it invested there (Rate of Interest is very attractive in India)?
(3) If I sell a property in India after living in Canada for a year or so, if I there is no Capital Gains tax out of the transaction or I pay applicable Capital gains tax in India, will I have to pay any tax in Canada on bringing the proceeds post capital gain tax payment in India?
(4) Should my parents gift me some amount in India and I bring it to Canada, will this amount be taxable? Can I get tax exemption if I declare this during first landing - That I will be bringing the said (gift) amount after a year or so? Is there is time period limit to bringing the funds from India, tax free?
Will appreciate a reply in detail, as I am not being able to get a satisfactory reply elsewhere.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
I am landing in April'18. I have following queries:
(1) I intend to bring 20K CAD during first landing. How do we bring (second time) or have the money wired (later) without attracting any tax? What declaration are to be made during first landing? What is the time period limit for bringing second lot of money from India, tax free?
(2) If I have 50K CAD and carry the same to Canada. If I get a good job and able to survive in CAD without having to use these 50K CAD, can I take 50K back to India without any tax and have it invested there (Rate of Interest is very attractive in India)?
(3) If I sell a property in India after living in Canada for a year or so, if I there is no Capital Gains tax out of the transaction or I pay applicable Capital gains tax in India, will I have to pay any tax in Canada on bringing the proceeds post capital gain tax payment in India?
(4) Should my parents gift me some amount in India and I bring it to Canada, will this amount be taxable? Can I get tax exemption if I declare this during first landing - That I will be bringing the said (gift) amount after a year or so? Is there is time period limit to bringing the funds from India, tax free?
Will appreciate a reply in detail, as I am not being able to get a satisfactory reply elsewhere.
1. Any income / capital gains earned BEFORE you become permanent resident (before landing) is not taxable. Any income / capital gains earned AFTER you became permanent resident is taxable while you are deemed tax-resident.

2. Any interest you gain on your worldwide income / investment income is taxable in Canada (even if it's in a NRE account in India) IF you are deemed a tax-resident in Canada. What you are suggesting is sneaky tax-evasion and is illegal.

3. You have to declare that sale but you can avoid double taxation if you've already paid taxes on that in India - http://www.treaty-accord.gc.ca/text-texte.aspx?id=102409

4. No, this won't be taxable. There's no gift tax in Canada. Any further income generated by this income will be taxable of course.

Reactions: Fishal2017

samirradia

Oct 5, 2016
I will get about 100K CAD in an year from my father.
(1) Is it taxable?
(2) Do I need to declare this on my landing?
(3) If my father wires this money, how much will be wiring charges?

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I will get about 100K CAD in an year from my father.
(1) Is it taxable?
(2) Do I need to declare this on my landing?
(3) If my father wires this money, how much will be wiring charges?
1) Gift are not taxable
2) any amount exceed $10,000 you bring with you must be declare
3) You will have to talk to your bank for the charges.

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
Can anyone please advise me on how to prepare the "list of goods"?

1) I do not have any goods to follow.
2) Its mostly old / new clothing's, with other personal belongings like my laptop, mobile, other electronic accessories etc (All used items)

Does it has to be in some kind of format or a form? Or just a MS word printed list?
How detailed it has to be? like mention each clothing item? And how do i assign values to it?

Appreciate any answers relating to this, or if anyone can guide to a post where it has already been discussed.

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..

2) Its mostly old / new clothing's, with other personal belongings like my laptop, mobile, other electronic accessories etc (All used items)

Does it has to be in some kind of format or a form? Or just a MS word printed list?
How detailed it has to be? like mention each clothing item? And how do i assign values to it?

Appreciate any answers relating to this, or if anyone can guide to a post where it has already been discussed.

Thanks
You are probably fine without it. Most CBSA officer don't want to check th list anyways.

Reactions: FReza

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014

Thanks
If you've driven across the border or flew into the country, how many times have they ever checked your belongings, old clothes, laptops and such at the customs? I go to Canada relatively frequently (I live only 40 minutes away from Canadian border in Vermont) and I've crossed in through Maine/NB border as well as Seattle/Bc border - never ever did they check any regular belongings. It makes sense to declare something if it's particularly expensive or taxable but I wouldn't worry too much about it for clothes, laptops etc.

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
You are probably fine without it. Most CBSA officer don't want to check th list anyways.

Thank you :)

One more quick one. (I apologize if it has already been answered). What do i respond to to the CBSA officers when they ask for how many Days i am in Canada. I will be making a soft landing for 2 weeks. But i read somewhere that if i mention two weeks they don't apply for PR card and ask to apply for it later when i move permanently. But i don't want that, i want to get the PR card ASAP. Further i would also be having a return ticket, would they ask for it?

Thanks in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you've driven across the border or flew into the country, how many times have they ever checked your belongings, old clothes, laptops and such at the customs? I go to Canada relatively frequently (I live only 40 minutes away from Canadian border in Vermont) and I've crossed in through Maine/NB border as well as Seattle/Bc border - never ever did they check any regular belongings. It makes sense to declare something if it's particularly expensive or taxable but I wouldn't worry too much about it for clothes, laptops etc.
You are lucky. Once in a while, arriving at YVR airport by flight from Asia or WA/BC border, CBSA and CBP officers checked my belongings even though I declared.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
You are lucky. Once in a while, arriving at YVR airport by flight from Asia or WA/BC border, CBSA and CBP officers checked my belongings even though I declared.
Yeah, never happened to me even once even when I fly into Montreal airport from my travels in south america or elsewhere. I suppose it's infrequent enough and even if they do, something like old clothes or a laptop is hardly something they'll bother you about.