+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
You are lucky. Once in a while, arriving at YVR airport by flight from Asia or WA/BC border, CBSA and CBP officers checked my belongings even though I declared.
Yeah, never happened to me even once even when I fly into Montreal airport from my travels in south america or elsewhere. I suppose it's infrequent enough and even if they do, something like old clothes or a laptop is hardly something they'll bother you about.

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
Hello, a couple of days ago I opened an account with Bank of Scotia, done so from abroad. Plan was to wire a certain amount of money, so I would just need to walk in a branch office in Canada after landing, get the account activated and have readily access to funds.

Now, I made money transfer (of moderate amount to start with), but since then have no news from Bank of Scotia. So far I only know my bank account number but cannot see a balance statement or some such. Is this all normal ?
Thanks

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
Hello, a couple of days ago I opened an account with Bank of Scotia, done so from abroad. Plan was to wire a certain amount of money, so I would just need to walk in a branch office in Canada after landing, get the account activated and have readily access to funds.

Now, I made money transfer (of moderate amount to start with), but since then have no news from Bank of Scotia. So far I only know my bank account number but cannot see a balance statement or some such. Is this all normal ?
Thanks
it's fine. ACH clearing and wires can take a few days. Also, the bank may not email you directly about funds if you don't have alerts set up in your online account. If you log in, and if everything's normal, you'll be able to see all transfers and transactions.

pranab24

Star Member
May 5, 2017
In order to credit one's driving experience from India, Drivetest has replied back to me saying:

You can present a letter of authentication which; May be acquired from the Embassy, Consulate or High Commissioner’s Office representing the originating jurisdiction, OR from the jurisdiction that originally issued the licence, validating the authenticity of the licence. Must be on the originator’s official letterhead paper. Must be dated no more than 6 months prior to application date. Must clearly state that it is certifying the duration of the applicant’s driving experience and that the licence to which it refers is valid – the licence cannot be expired or suspended. If not in English or French, you must have it translated by an MTO-recognized translator.

I was browsing the Toronto Indian Consulate website, and they have a service they will endorse a sworn affidavit with regards to Indian Driving licence - http://www.cgitoronto.ca/eoi.php?id=india_licence
They have also provided the format in which the affidavit is to be submitted and will be endorsed.

My Question: Is this an acceptable document at Drivetest centre to credit driving experience? Has anyone done it before?

usthb

Star Member
Sep 18, 2017
it's fine. ACH clearing and wires can take a few days. Also, the bank may not email you directly about funds if you don't have alerts set up in your online account. If you log in, and if everything's normal, you'll be able to see all transfers and transactions.
Sure. Thanks for the response.
Thing is that I did not receive any credential from the bank to let me log in or do online banking.
What I did receive is how to access to secure messaging system so I can read their emails. I get notified by email when there is a new message in there.
Not a big deal... just curious about other's experience...

jonnclk22

Star Member
Oct 20, 2017
Ghana
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
Nairobi
AOR Received.
01-01-2013
Passport Req..
01-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
01-04-21014
Sure. Thanks for the response.
Thing is that I did not receive any credential from the bank to let me log in or do online banking.
What I did receive is how to access to secure messaging system so I can read their emails. I get notified by email when there is a new message in there.
Not a big deal... just curious about other's experience...
You have to usually set it up yourself by going to their website. The easiest way would be to just call the bank.

pranab24

Star Member
May 5, 2017
Hi,
I made a soft landing in Dec last year and now am back in UK. I have started applying to Canadian companies and wish to give a local number for them to contact me, but one that I can use from UK. Do not want to go into roaming as it is very expensive. Does anyone know of cheaper options?
Thanks.

kuskus

Champion Member
Jun 17, 2014
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi,
I made a soft landing in Dec last year and now am back in UK. I have started applying to Canadian companies and wish to give a local number for them to contact me, but one that I can use from UK. Do not want to go into roaming as it is very expensive. Does anyone know of cheaper options?
Thanks.
You can try magicjack.

pratee1234

Jul 19, 2017
Hi guys, we got our COPR in November and will be looking to make a soft landing by driving in from the US next month. We plan to stay only for a day or two and then drive back to the US. Can someone please help me with the following questions? I will highly appreciate it -

1) Our COPR says that our destination is Toronto, but can we enter through the Washington State - BC border?
2) Can we enter once, and when looking for jobs, if we get called in for a face to face interview, enter again (driving in, not flying) without having our PR cards? One of the people I know drove in thrice when carrying his stuff into Canada when he had already entered once. According to him, you can enter on non-commercial means with a COPR.
3) What are all the documents we need while entering for the first time?
4) In order to provide address for PR card delivery, we will obviously have to use a friends address. That shouldn't be an issue, I presume, since lots of folks do it, but just want to confirm.

Canhealth12

Nov 29, 2017
How much cash should I carry with me? I'm planning to land in Feb. I will be staying in a Hotel for 3 days til I find an accommodation in GTA.
Is it a good thing to open accounts in 4 different banks from abroad before landing and wire transfer some amount in each account?

mok_kab

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
AOR Received.
13-05-2017
Hi,
Thanks.
You can also try Fongo which you will be able to use like viber/skype through a virtual Canadian number.

Reactions: pranab24

T_ING

Apr 6, 2017
Can anyone please advise me on how to prepare the "list of goods"?

1) I do not have any goods to follow.
2) Its mostly old / new clothing's, with other personal belongings like my laptop, mobile, other electronic accessories etc (All used items)

Does it has to be in some kind of format or a form? Or just a MS word printed list?
How detailed it has to be? like mention each clothing item? And how do i assign values to it?

Appreciate any answers relating to this, or if anyone can guide to a post where it has already been discussed.

Thanks
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/form-b4-goods-to-follow-accompanying-list-how-to.44793/

Reactions: linnykez and FReza

stss

Jun 5, 2016
Hi guys,
I'm a CEC in-land, and me and my spouse will be landing in Vancouver in a couple of week (after spending a few days visiting the US). We would appreciate your inputs on the following queries I had:
1. Our COPRs came with our photos attached. ( We submitted 2 photos after PPR and I guess they retain one for the PR card and attach one on the COPR). Do I still need to carry 2 photos for each of us when we land?
2. Do I need additional documents like bank statement/POF when I land? I didn't need it for my PR application as it was CEC.

Thanks a lot!