+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
My immigration consultant recommended me to carry my Birth Certificate as it might be required for SIN card. I do not have my birth certificate with me. Since i'll be making a soft landing. Is it really required for SIN card? As the website states that only COPR + Passport will be required.

Anyone with recent experience? Thank you in advance

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My immigration consultant recommended me to carry my Birth Certificate as it might be required for SIN card. I do not have my birth certificate with me. Since i'll be making a soft landing. Is it really required for SIN card? As the website states that only COPR + Passport will be required.

Your birth certificate is not needed. Birth certificate is for Canadian born. See below:

https://www.canada.ca/en/employment-social-development/services/sin/before-applying.html?_ga=1.190343659.1985366058.1435347831#primary

Reactions: mok_kab and FReza

mok_kab

Star Member
Aug 2, 2013
Visa Office......
Singapore
AOR Received.
13-05-2017

I did a soft landing a month back. They didn't ask for birth certificate. If you are landing in Toronto, I would suggest you do your SIN card at the airport. They have a Service Canada booth there. You will find it after you finish your immigration formalities. You will have to wait in a queue which shouldn't take more than an hour. If you want to do it from outside it may take 2-3 weeks for Toronto (that's what the lady at the counter told me).
Happy landing. :)

Reactions: mandeeps_dhami

randy250683

Sep 7, 2016
Amritsar
Hi All. I have a question and hope that to be answered here. We (Me, My Wife and Daughter) are due to enter Canada before 27/05/2018 as per our COPR and my daughter's passport is expiring on 24/09/2018. We are planning to enter Canada in month of April 2018 which means that validity of my daughter's passport will be less than 6 months at that time.

So my question is that if she can enter in month of April 2018 with her current passport or not????
If not, Weather I can apply her new passport in my current country of residence (India) and carry her new as well as old passport at the time of entry

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All. I have a question and hope that to be answered here. We (Me, My Wife and Daughter) are due to enter Canada before 27/05/2018 as per our COPR and my daughter's passport is expiring on 24/09/2018. We are planning to enter Canada in month of April 2018 which means that validity of my daughter's passport will be less than 6 months at that time.

So my question is that if she can enter in month of April 2018 with her current passport or not????
If not, Weather I can apply her new passport in my current country of residence (India) and carry her new as well as old passport at the time of entry
Your daughter will be able to fly with her passport directly to Canada from India.

annajopp

Jan 16, 2018
Hi,
I currently live in the US. Can I complete the landing formalities with my family first, come back to the US and then relocate permanently at a later point?

A J

Star Member
May 28, 2017
My 2 cents...

Did soft landing 2 days ago, I live in US.

I carried with me the below:
1. Passport with stamped Visa. -off course
2. COPR (IMM 5292B)
5. PR Card Application (IMM 5444E). -carried it filled pre-printed - WAS totally NOT NEEDED.
6. Goods to Follow List (Form B4 / B4A). - Officer totally missed this. i had to remind him and asked him to stamp jewelry pictures.
7. Goods Accompanying List. - i said NONE.

After landing:

8. Went and applied SIN at Service Canada centre. - NO NEED to fill any paper forms.

Then opened bank account - monthly fee was waived for 9 months (ask for newcomer discount and show landing papers) on RBC - No limit account.

Hope this helps. thanks a lot to this forum and the extremely helpful people and information I have found here. you guys rock!!

jagsparrow

Jan 30, 2017
hi guys..
I have few queries on Landing which are as follows:

1) My PR visa expires on 18th April 2018,and I have planned my landing in such a way that I would reach Toronto on 17th april (morning),My question is that if I reach on 18th April(the date of expiry) because of flight delays etc. would there be any problem?

2) As my PR visa expires on 18th april 2018,Can I stay there after visa expiry? (I have planned to return on 19th april after initial landing procedures)

3) My port of entry is Toronto,my plan is to return in two days following landing procedures and have decided to give my friend's address for PR card delivery who stays in Edmonton,Alberta; would there be any problem if POE & PR card delivery address are two different provinces?

4) Do I have to inform immigration/visa officer at Toronto airport about my short stay(2 days) and about the address for PR card delivery that it's my friend's address and he will receive PR cards on my behalf.

thanks

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
hi guys..
I have few queries on Landing which are as follows:

1) My PR visa expires on 18th April 2018,and I have planned my landing in such a way that I would reach Toronto on 17th april (morning),My question is that if I reach on 18th April(the date of expiry) because of flight delays etc. would there be any problem?

2) As my PR visa expires on 18th april 2018,Can I stay there after visa expiry? (I have planned to return on 19th april after initial landing procedures)

3) My port of entry is Toronto,my plan is to return in two days following landing procedures and have decided to give my friend's address for PR card delivery who stays in Edmonton,Alberta; would there be any problem if POE & PR card delivery address are two different provinces?

4) Do I have to inform immigration/visa officer at Toronto airport about my short stay(2 days) and about the address for PR card delivery that it's my friend's address and he will receive PR cards on my behalf.

thanks
I guess most people would ask why would you leave it so late for such an important event given anything can happen with travel, flight could be cancelled with no alternative for a day or so, weather delay and so on.

Assuming you make it you can land and leave same day if you want but many people would want to guarantee their landing by arriving maybe a week before the COPR expires

Your COPR by the way is not a visa so yes it will have an expiry/ land by date but once you have landed you are good for the rest of your life as a PR (assuming meet RO and PR obligations) so do not have to leave ever regardless of any date on the COPR.

Whether having your initial PR card mailed to a friends address in a different province will work can sometimes depend on the officer at the time.

Last edited:

jagsparrow

Jan 30, 2017
thanks a lot Bs65 for ur prompt reply..i completely agree with ur views on selection of date for landing..bcoz of some personal reasons i planned it this way,however the concern raised by u is equally important and i'm contemplating over it.
once again thank u very much

FReza

Star Member
Jun 8, 2017
Category........
FSW
My 2 cents...

Did soft landing 2 days ago, I live in US.

I carried with me the below:
1. Passport with stamped Visa. -off course
2. COPR (IMM 5292B)
5. PR Card Application (IMM 5444E). -carried it filled pre-printed - WAS totally NOT NEEDED.
6. Goods to Follow List (Form B4 / B4A). - Officer totally missed this. i had to remind him and asked him to stamp jewelry pictures.
7. Goods Accompanying List. - i said NONE.

After landing:

8. Went and applied SIN at Service Canada centre. - NO NEED to fill any paper forms.

Then opened bank account - monthly fee was waived for 9 months (ask for newcomer discount and show landing papers) on RBC - No limit account.

Hope this helps. thanks a lot to this forum and the extremely helpful people and information I have found here. you guys rock!!

Hi,
How long did they take to provide you with the SIN number?

reify

Star Member
Nov 2, 2016
If we carry balance certificate from the banks of native country as proof of funds, is there a problem while landing? I intend to not to convert all my money before hand. After I land I will create an account in a Canadian bank and transfer the funds by wire transfer. Is that acceptable by CBSA OR we have to convert the funds to a Demand Draft or forex card and carry along with us.