+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
crips said:
Hello All
I am a fswo applicant currently at background check stage. If I have to do landing procedure I have to do that anywhere in Canada except QUEBEC. But can I finish the landing procedure anywhere outside QUEBEC and give the address where PR Card has to be sent as Montreal. I have a relative in Montreal who can send the PR Card to my address in India.
Theoretically, you can. However, the officer reserves the right to refuse to accept the Quebec address. (An applicant was a provincial nominee and he gave the address in another province. The officer refused to accept the address and asked him to update the address online).

You have 180 days from the date of landing to update the address online with IRCC.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
emamabd said:
If you have a friend or relative in Canada you can provide his/her address to the immigration officer and your PR card will be mailed there once ready. If not, you'll have to apply for a PRTD at your local embassy later when you want to return back to Canada...if i were you i would try my best to arrange an address in Canada for the PR card delivery.

If you'll be staying in Canada for a couple of weeks , i would advise you to open a bank account and obtain a canadian credit card so you could start building your credit history in Canada this is "very important" for a newcomer! Opening a bank account can be done in 1 day, but you need to have a local address as some important stuff will be mailed to you (credit card/debit card..etc). Also it will be easier for you to move your funds to Canada while you're planning your permanent move i.e. you can simply wire your funds to the canadian account.

Secondly, get your SIN number processed during your short landing trip..it takes less than 5 minutes at any service canada location, you may want to explore your chances of applying for jobs in canada while abroad (its true the chances are slim to get hired while abroad, but it can happen..i've done a number of skype and phone interviews before moving here permanently, although it didn't land me an offer at the time, but it prepared me better for the job search once i returned back to Canada. Each interview is a learning experience, if you learned from your "mistakes" and prepared better for the next one, your SIN will also come handy as a proof of eligibility to work in canada if an employer is interested in hiring you.

just my two cents, good luck with your landing trip and enjoy exploring your new country!
I would not recommend opening a bank account on day 1 if you are NOT moving permanently because some banks give good offers/perks to their customers like a free locker etc. Those offers will simply go waste if the applicant just lands for a couple of weeks and then goes back.

So, IMO, if you are not landing permanently, then open a bank account when you move permanently.

This is only my opinion.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
rajkamalmohanram said:
I would not recommend opening a bank account on day 1 if you are NOT moving permanently because some banks give good offers/perks to their customers like a free locker etc. Those offers will simply go waste if the applicant just lands for a couple of weeks and then goes back.

So, IMO, if you are not landing permanently, then open a bank account when you move permanently.

This is only my opinion.
What's more important for a newcomer? A free locker vs "building credit history + safe way to transport remaining funds"?

amis

Star Member
Apr 26, 2014
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-06-2014
Med's Request
23-11-2014
Med's Done....
29-11-2014
Passport Req..
Waiting
VISA ISSUED...
Waiting
LANDED..........
Waiting
shariq123 said:
I've researched this issue a million times asking so many people and everyone has said that if parents are PR and the child is not, then you have two options to get the child to Canada:

1) Apply for a TRV/TRP
2) Sponsor him from Canada.

In case of 1, if the parents are PR and they apply for the child's TRV, there is almost a 100% chance of it being rejected because the officers knows that the parents are PRs and the child is not going to come back. Remember TRV is just valid for a short duration. However the intention of the parents is to keep the child with them indefinitely. Goes completely against the concept of TRV. So that's why its rejected 100% of the time. When rejected, the parents can then apply for a TRP, however TRP is almost only issued if the applicant has some legal or criminal offense against him/her due to which he/she can't get a normal visa. So TRV/TRP is almost impossible to get for a child whose parents are PR.

2) This is the second option whereby one of the parents will need to be present in Canada for the whole duration of the time till the child's application is not approved. The sponsorship processing time can take almost 12-13 months.

Regarding the original poster's problem, I would suggest to have the baby delivered in Canada, otherwise you would need to go through the sponsorship route.
But what if the parents have some personal issues and cannot get the baby delivered in Canada? Also sponsorship takes 12-13 months by that time my wife's PR will get invalid . What should be done in a situation like this? Also do you know anybody who applied for a TRV/TRP and got rejected/Approved.?
Thanks for your inputs.

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
steaky said:
PRTD = Permanent resident travel document. You can apply at any Canadian consulate outside Canada. CIC only send PR card to a Canadian address.
Hello,

Can you pls tell me the documents required for PRTD ?

I have gone through this link but am not able to understand it .
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

The stamped COPR which we get while 1st landing, is it enough for PRTD ?

Thank-you.

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
mahi2020 said:
Hello,

Can you pls tell me the documents required for PRTD ?

I have gone through this link but am not able to understand it .
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/guides/5529ETOC.asp

The stamped COPR which we get while 1st landing, is it enough for PRTD ?

Thank-you.
Mahi, please refer this PDF, this is an official document checklist for obtaining PRTD.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5627E.pdf

mahi2020

Oct 7, 2016
vedette said:
Mahi, please refer this PDF, this is an official document checklist for obtaining PRTD.

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5627E.pdf
Hi,

What does this statement mean:

At a minimum you must provide:
1> two(2) pieces of evidence that show your PR status in Canada
2> information for the 5yrs before application like pay slips, bank statments etc.

So I understand:
for point no <2> I need to show payslips, bank statements of india, my native country, for last 5 yrs since the day I apply for PRTD.

But for point <1> what are the 2 documents ?

Pls advise.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
@ Mahi,

Bank statement addressed to you in India would not work. Do you have Noa from Canada Revenue Agency? As for item 1, do you have Canadian driver license, imm 5292, stamped Copr?

I suggest you post your message in the "PR obligation " forum for more replies in this matter.

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
steaky said:
@ Mahi,

Bank statement addressed to you in India would not work. Do you have Noa from Canada Revenue Agency? As for item 1, do you have Canadian driver license, imm 5292, stamped Copr?

I suggest you post your message in the "PR obligation " forum for more replies in this matter.
Agree with steaky.

However answering your queries here as I feel its urgent for you.

For Point 1:
1st Evidence : Stamped COPR
2nd Evidence: Immigrant Visa [IM-1] on your Passport
that should suffice

For Point 2:
1st : Employment Records/PayStubs
2nd: Bank statements/Credit Card Statements
3rd: Rental Agreement
4th: Car Lease Paper if you have any
5th: NOA [You receive this from CRA when you file your tax return]

All the best

jp2014

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2014
AOR Received.
05-2014
Med's Request
11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-2017
I heard that there are a few cases where the immigration officer asks why applicant is landing in a city different to what mentioned in the application at the beginning. What should be the reply in this case? Particularly in my case it's New Brunswich in my application (and so it says in confirmation of permanent resident) but I choose to land in Toronto and will live there. Please note my program is Federal Skilled Worker, not PNP. Thanks for your advice.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
jp2014 said:
I heard that there are a few cases where the immigration officer asks why applicant is landing in a city different to what mentioned in the application at the beginning. What should be the reply in this case? Particularly in my case it's New Brunswich in my application (and so it says in confirmation of permanent resident) but I choose to land in Toronto and will live there. Please note my program is Federal Skilled Worker, not PNP. Thanks for your advice.
If you are FSW, they don't really care as long as you are not going to Quebec. If you are a PNP applicant, they want you to preferably land in your PNP province or at least convince them that you will be going to your PNP province by other means.

jp2014

Star Member
May 18, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
SGVO
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
12-2014
AOR Received.
05-2014
Med's Request
11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
03-2017
Leon said:
If you are FSW, they don't really care as long as you are not going to Quebec. If you are a PNP applicant, they want you to preferably land in your PNP province or at least convince them that you will be going to your PNP province by other means.
Thanks for your advice. I'm under FSW, not PNP and I'm going to another English speaking province. A bit worried as someone told me immigration officers may ask. :D

Voolate

Nov 30, 2016
Hi! I just received my PPR yesterday. Is it ok if I land in Canada and stay their for a month and go back to my work( outside Canada) and be back after 1 year? My friend who also recently transferred to Canada said I should be back in Canada within 6 months time so as not to have a problem with my PR.

Would there be any problem because from what I know is that I only need to complete my 2yrs living in Canada within 5 yrs.

Thanks for your help.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Voolate said:
Hi! I just received my PPR yesterday. Is it ok if I land in Canada and stay their for a month and go back to my work( outside Canada) and be back after 1 year? My friend who also recently transferred to Canada said I should be back in Canada within 6 months time so as not to have a problem with my PR.

Would there be any problem because from what I know is that I only need to complete my 2yrs living in Canada within 5 yrs.

Thanks for your help.
You are correct and don't listen to your friend.

SOTAJ

Mar 29, 2013
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
08-Oct-2014
Nomination.....
15-Jan-2015
IELTS Request
Sent with application
Med's Request
10-Jul-2015
Med's Done....
24-Jul-2015
Interview........
N/A By His grace
Passport Req..
25-Feb-2016
VISA ISSUED...
18-Mar-2016
LANDED..........
02-May-2016
Voolate said:

Thanks for your help.

You are very fine with that.