+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

LANDING IN CANADA ??? -All You Need To Know.

vedette

Jul 21, 2015
rajkamalmohanram said:
Well, he is NOT going to stay in Canada (for whatever period of time anyway) so how would the credit history build up; genuine question. You can, from some countries, open a bank account online (for instance, under ScotiaBank Start Right program) where you are allowed a one time deposit of funds before the date of travel. So, the issue of "safely transporting funds" is covered here.

If the applicant is doing a short landing and is planning in coming back for a couple of months, then it might be okay. If he is going to return after a year or so, I don't know - This doesn't seem like a good idea IMO. Really a personal choice though!
Seems like you have no idea how credit history is build up.

The most important factor in building a good credit history is how old your bank account is.

2ndly by opening account from outside the Canada, you cannot have Credit Cards which is required to built credit history.

Please don't post without proper knowledge. It's better to be quiet rather giving false statements and fighting with a person who has enough knowledge!!!

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
vedette said:
Seems like you have no idea how credit history is build up.

The most important factor in building a good credit history is how old your bank account is.

2ndly by opening account from outside the Canada, you cannot have Credit Cards which is required to built credit history.

Please don't post without proper knowledge. It's better to be quiet rather giving false statements and fighting with a person who has enough knowledge!!!
Yea right. You could have put that more politely - I was asking how credit history builds up and it was a genuine question and I added "IMO" which is "In My Opinion" if you don't already know. Probably you should learn to understand English sentences more efficiently.

And quiet is not my thing. I have been here since April 2015 and had I been quiet, I would not have known much about the immigration process nor would I have been able to help others. So, please - if you do know the answer, be polite and answer the question. If you don't want to answer, that's fine too. I wasn't implying anything, I was asking how credit history builds up and all you had to do was explain how it works; Not ask me to be quiet.

And "fighting" with a person ? Where was I fighting? Man, you seriously need to choose your words properly. I wasn't even arguing - let alone fighting. It was just my opinion and I was asking how it works. Argh!

Anyway, good luck!

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi All,

I'm planning to get the demand draft (probably called cashier's cheque outside India) generated from my wife's account in my name.

1) I hope that is fine for landing to show proof of funds?
2) When I deposit it in my Canadian bank account, would it be encashable without any issue as it was not generated my account in India?

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Agree, people need to be polite and cautious about choosing words. Sometimes it's also the cultural issue.

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
rajkamalmohanram said:
Well, he is NOT going to stay in Canada (for whatever period of time anyway) so how would the credit history build up; genuine question. You can, from some countries, open a bank account online (for instance, under ScotiaBank Start Right program) where you are allowed a one time deposit of funds before the date of travel. So, the issue of "safely transporting funds" is covered here.
Having a "Canadian credit card" in your possession and making some small online purchases while you're abroad - and paying back via your online bank account is enough to start building your credit history "in canada" and achieve an "excellent credit score" within a year...i'm talking based on my own experience.

Later once the newcomer returns back to canada permanently, the "clean" credit score will help him/her rent the first flat, get financing approval for the first car, first home...etc.

The key to building a credit score is to borrow money and return it timely...that you can't do without having a canadian bank account and credit card.

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
emamabd said:
Having a "Canadian credit card" in your possession and making some small online purchases while you're abroad - and paying back via your online bank account is enough to start building your credit history "in canada" and achieve an "excellent credit score" within a year...i'm talking based on my own experience.

Later once the newcomer returns back to canada permanently, the "clean" credit score will help him/her rent the first flat, get financing approval for the first car, first home...etc.

The key to building a credit score is to borrow money and return it timely...that you can't do without having a canadian bank account and credit card.
Perfect - This is what I was looking for. Thanks a lot and +1.

AK_canada

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
kamy said:
I'm planning to get the demand draft (probably called cashier's cheque outside India) generated from my wife's account in my name.
Hi, did your query on DD get resolved? Also, does a Travellers check work in same manner - to get easily deposited in the Canadian Bank Account once opened?

fahad04

Nov 22, 2014
Saskatchewan
emamabd said:

Valuable info! The question is how can I manage a canadian credit card being in my home country.

Thanks

kamy

Feb 1, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
kamy said:
Hi All,

1) I hope that is fine for landing to show proof of funds?
2) When I deposit it in my Canadian bank account, would it be encashable without any issue as it was not generated my account in India?
Any comments, suggestions?

chotu123

Star Member
Aug 19, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
10-01-2015
IELTS Request
with app
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-08-2015
Passport Req..
02-09-2015
LANDED..........
09-05-2016
HI

I did my short landing in Vancouver back in May 2016 (last year) but I did not apply for Health Insurance

I intend to return next week to Vancouver. Would the immigration officer probe this when I land?

Also, do they ask why i have been away for a year?

Thanks

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
chotu123 said:
HI

I did my short landing in Vancouver back in May 2016 (last year) but I did not apply for Health Insurance

I intend to return next week to Vancouver. Would the immigration officer probe this when I land?

Also, do they ask why i have been away for a year?

Thanks
CBSA officer can ask you anything. You did the right not to apply BC MSP at landing.

chotu123

Star Member
Aug 19, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
22-09-2014
Nomination.....
10-01-2015
IELTS Request
with app
Med's Request
18-07-2015
Med's Done....
09-08-2015
Passport Req..
02-09-2015
LANDED..........
09-05-2016
Thanks Steaky

Btw has anyone had problems with return after short landings i.e. leaving Canada before arrival of PR Card?

emamabd

Champion Member
Jun 22, 2012
fahad04 said:
Valuable info! The question is how can I manage a canadian credit card being in my home country.

Thanks
You can manage it via online banking.

While abroad you can use it to pay for any fees, or online courses or any kind of expenses .. anything that doesn't need to be delivered to a canadian address ..

lucky_ss

Apr 20, 2017
Hello Seniors,

Am new to this forum. Recently received COPR and planning for a short landing. I have few questions to clarify:

1. Do We need Physical funds (in CAD$) or Bank Statements/Deposits in other Currency will suffix at Immigration during landing.

2. Due to short landing, due to need to inform Immigration officer and how we could re-enter to Canada next time ( say after 3-4 months).

3. Also for Goods to follow list--> Can we get printed and attested by Immigration officer which we are going to bring during our second entry

Pls. do let me know.