15-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
23-08-2013
LANDED..........
23-06-2014
Hi everyone,

My husband landed on Monday and just wanted to share some experiences with you all and things to avoid.

The first thing I will say is that if you are not 100% sure you want to bring your car into Canada (if it is worth it from the US), it is likely NOT worth it and I would advise you not to.

Car export
We exported our vehicle from NY at the Lewiston bridge and had emailed them weeks before to ensure that it was >72h. They emailed back with a confirmation stating that it was okay to do it anytime 72h after the receipt of the email and there was no need to resubmit it as long as we exported within 6 months. My husband came to pick me up in Ont and we packed up his stuff in the US and then headed back into Canada after a couple days to export car and land. We tried to export the car and the lady stated that the car had to physically BE IN the US for continuously 72h prior to export. No where did it say that on the form. She wanted to fine us $200 and not let us export the vehicle. I explained it wasn't indicated on the form, etc and luckily the other worker understood.

Landing
The actual landing process and import process on the Canada side was great. Took about 20 minutes and the officers were fabulous. Imported car with no problem as well.

SIN
Went to get SIN at Service Canada, no problem with COPR. Just ensure that they stamp your passport when you land and write under it your COPR number because they do check to get the SIN.

Driver's License
Went to get driver's license-> huge problem with NY state abstracts in that they do not accept them because they don't state the date issued of your license on it so you can only get <1yr experience. Plus they also have to be "originals" and mailed to you even though the DMV states that it is okay to print them off as they send you the PDFs. Even having spoken to the NY DMV that stated that it was okay they would not accept them. Drivers Ontario also was very rude and told me to stop saying that I had talked to the NY DMV as if I was lying even though I had spoken to a few different representatives before to ensure our documents were okay and NY had assured me they were.
We went back to the Driver's License place about 4 times this week because they kept telling us to bring other documents and then when we would go get them they would then tell us we needed something else.
Bottom line from after talking to NY DMV again saying that Ont wouldn't accept any of those things: Have to order a lifetime driving record from NY DMV which takes approximately a month to get, and ensure they mail it and don't email it. NYS does NOT issue letters indicating experience even though Driver's Ontario is under the impression they do (NY DMV states that they can't for legal confidentiality reasons). No guarantee that this will work either but this is what we are waiting on now.

Car
So no license, and can't register car.

In the meantime: all the other steps to register a car we did.
Obtained Canadian car insurance, did the RIV inspection (got daytime running lights installed), and got safety certificate and emissions. Pricing all of this out it cost $2 000. The things that we needed to do to pass the safety certificate cost $1300, on a car that is from 2009. We thought since the car isn't that old it would pass with no problems but apparently not. You also can't sell the car once you import it for one year, so we were stuck with having to do it unless we wanted to export it again. Plus all the money we had already put in for fees and the RIV inspection.

The only thing we aren't sure about is whether or not we can cancel the US car insurance yet if it's not technically registered in Canada yet? We are essentially paying for 2 insurances now until we can get the Ontario driver's license. This may take up to a month since we are waiting on the NY DMV.

OHIP
They wouldn't accept the proof of residence of a bank statement that we printed off with his name and address on it from the bank. They said that it has to be mailed, in the envelope. We have paperless statements and I told them this but they said change them to paper to get them mailed and then bring it in. We couldn't use a driver's license since we didn't have one.
Have to go back for OHIP after driver's license then since I think it's dumb to change all my statements to paper and wait another month for the next statement.

Anyways, all in all it has been a poor landing experience and my husband says that he kind of hates Canada now. I can definitely see that given even as a Canadian I feel like this has been an awful experience that makes me question our system. I can even further imagine how difficult it would be for people with English as a second language. Hopefully this will help other people and make it smoother.

If anyone could speak to converting the NY state to Ontario driver's license that would be great given our awful experience. On the system it only shows my husband's record from 2013 because that was the year he renewed his license! They expire every 5 years he said so we just missed out. We don't want the G2 because the insurance rates would skyrocket and have to do the road test.

saria1

May 22, 2014
British Columbia
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
October 28, 2014
Doc's Request.
None
AOR Received.
January 16, 2015
File Transfer...
January 23, 2015
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
October 27, 2014
Interview........
None
Passport Req..
None
VISA ISSUED...
June 17, 2015
LANDED..........
June 30, 2015
That sounds like pure hell and not promising. :eek: No wonder why your hubby hates Canada. What in the world cost $1300 to bring the car up to Canadian standards? I wonder what kind of crap I'm going to run into. I'll be moving with a class A CDL, granted I haven't used it in 14 years, but once you get it, you don't want to give it up.

squishypenguin

Dec 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
AOR Received.
15-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
23-08-2013
LANDED..........
23-06-2014
For the safety certificate, they have a list floating around somewhere on the web and it's super extensive what they check. They gave us a list of things after the inspection that it needed to pass and give us the certificate. Some stuff was valid, like sure, brake pads, ok...but we needed to get a whole set of tires too even though we had only got them changed 1.5 years ago. It was also 3 hrs of labour for all the stuff so that was $$ too.

For the license thing, I hope it goes better for you. New York state just has a poor driving abstract though and other states are probably better. My husband also had a license in Washington state before and the driver's abstract was fine and showed date of issue. They wouldn't accept it though for driving experience because he had exchanged a WA license for his current NY one (even though they told us to get that abstract!) Basically just don't live in NY and you'll be fine ;) Good luck!!

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012

squishypenguin

Dec 5, 2013
Visa Office......
CPP-Ottawa
App. Filed.......
18-10-2013
AOR Received.
15-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
23-08-2013
LANDED..........
23-06-2014
They don't mail the statements is the point. Most things are paperless nowadays.

We were at Service Ontario anyways so figured we would try. Not a big deal in the grand scheme of things.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
squishypenguin said:
They don't mail the statements is the point. Most things are paperless nowadays.
Credit card companies still mail paper statements.

ekaterina1984

Star Member
Dec 21, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Moscow
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
27.05.2013. Sponsorship approved 17.06.2013
Doc's Request.
Updated forms sent on december 18 2013
Med's Request
November 25 , 2013
Med's Done....
December 18 ,2013
Interview........
no
Passport Req..
21-01-2014
VISA ISSUED...
25-02-2014
LANDED..........
I agree, I brought my printed off bank statement as a proof of residence and the lady said '' was it mailed to you ? if it was mailed it has to be folded then'' soon after I just brought the same but mailed statement with envelope .

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
steaky said:
Credit card companies still mail paper statements.
Credit card statement isn't on the official list, so they wouldn't accept it.

Funny enough it's only bank statement that specifically says it must be a "mailed" statement. You are allowed to bring a utility/phone/cable bill also but it doesn't say "mailed", so I wonder if it's ok to print that one?

Alurra71

VIP Member
Oct 5, 2012
Ontario
Visa Office......
Vegreville
App. Filed.......
07-12-2012
AOR Received.
21-01-2013
Interview........
waived
VISA ISSUED...
28-11-2013
LANDED..........
19-12-2013
Rob_TO said:
Credit card statement isn't on the official list, so they wouldn't accept it.

Funny enough it's only bank statement that specifically says it must be a "mailed" statement. You are allowed to bring a utility/phone/cable bill also but it doesn't say "mailed", so I wonder if it's ok to print that one?
I used a credit card statement as proof of address. I don't know if it was just my specific office that accepted it or not, but that is what I used back when.

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
Alurra71 said:
I used a credit card statement as proof of address. I don't know if it was just my specific office that accepted it or not, but that is what I used back when.
I think you were lucky. Most times the OHIP staff are incredibly picky about having a document that exactly matches one from the list. Of course ultimately it's up to the individual you happen to talk to. Perhaps they just assumed credit card statement was same as bank account statement.

In our case my wife first went with an official mailed letter from the CRA, but since it wasn't the actual "income tax assessment" letter from the list, they wouldn't accept it and we had to go back a 2nd time.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
anyone know where to find this list of saftey qualifications for importing a car to canada?

Cvstos

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
anyone know where to find this list of saftey qualifications for importing a car to canada?
IIRC, daytime running lights are often a requirement (some older cars might not need them).

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Cvstos said:
IIRC, daytime running lights are often a requirement (some older cars might not need them).
what specifically is iirc? when i google it i get stuff about infectious diseases, so i can't imagine that's the right place to look for this list? i know about daytime running lights. i'm not too concerned about that. just want to be sure there are no surprises like the OP.

Cvstos

Star Member
Oct 9, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
rhcohen2014 said:
what specifically is iirc? when i google it i get stuff about infectious diseases, so i can't imagine that's the right place to look for this list? i know about daytime running lights. i'm not too concerned about that. just want to be sure there are no surprises like the OP.
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Cvstos said:
IIRC = If I Recall Correctly
hahahaha.... OOPS! well obviously i'm not up on the current slang. :p

anything other than running lights to be concerned about?