CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Hello all. We (wife and I) landed at YYZ late on August 24, 2019 (a Saturday). See my signature for PPR time/dates/etc. This is the tale of our soft landing + SIN + etc.

Our flight was delayed several times and nearly canceled due to multiple maintenance issues with multiple planes. Thankfully, we got in super late to YYZ and were shuffled along to the check-in machines where we selected our purpose for the visit (immigration), it took a picture, and we did the standard customs declarations (I selected unaccompanied goods on the device for both of us). It printed out the receipt with our pictures and the UG marker for unaccompanied goods.

We stood in line to reach an immigration person who basically waved through Canadians and US citizens who were holding up passports and the receipts. I clarified to her that I was immigrating and she told me to walk through (no immigration interview at this point). She marked my receipt with a large pink Z with a highlighter.

I then reached the next immigration person who I again told I was immigrating (but he could see the big pink Z on the receipts anyway). He directed me into a glass-enclosed room with a long queue. It got even longer and it was apparently mostly student visa applicants. We waited in this room for about an hour, I'd say.

When we reached the immigration officer, he asked for the CoPR, passport, address for PR card (I had this printed out for clarity - a friend's address). He asked us to sit and wait to be called. We went to the sitting area with a bunch of students (they seemed to be processing student visas in bulk, stamping multiple passports in a cubicle, signing, etc in an assembly line fashion; also they were getting super serious with another guy in another cubicle, having him empty his pockets, unlock his phone, patting him down, etc. Not sure what he did or didn't do.)

They called our names, we went back up to his booth, and he congratulated us and told us we were permanent residents. He gave us the customs receipt back in addition to the signed CoPR. He told us, "Hang onto these. You'll need them in 3 years when you apply for citizenship."

He asked if we had any other questions, and I asked if I could get a stamp in my passport, since they don't normally stamp US passports when entering Canada. He said he had already stamped and he was surprised I asked since most US people don't want stamps (due to page limits and we can no longer get more pages). I looked for the stamps and asked what the "I" meant on it. I asked if it meant "indefinite" since we were not on a 6 month limit anymore. He said it meant "immigrant" which made us smile.

I asked if I could take a selfie with him and he politely declined.

We continued to the customs area where we informed them we had goods to follow. We were directed to secondary and a short line (we were the only ones waiting while multiple officers helped others). We were called over within a minute and I presented the lists. He flipped through for a minute and then just asked "is there a grand total somewhere?" and I told him it's on the last page. They stamped all my pages and put my grand total into the computer and printed some kind of customs receipt and gave it to me.

He said to present the stamped list if we U-Haul our own stuff or give it to the shipping company if we ship it.

This was August 25 by this point, since we arrived late. That is the date that my PR card application shows submitted. I was able to link the application in my EE portal by using instructions on this forum. The officer didn't put mine in correctly, and it was hard for me to link. My CoPR birthplace was like StateName, U.S. and my wife's was StateName, U.S.A. He apparently entered both as U.S.A. I only realized this after giving up on my own and linking my wife's. When I saw hers was different, I tried "U.S.A." on mine and it worked. Huzzah!

On the following Monday (1 or 2 days later, depending on how you look at it), we went to Service Canada in Toronto City Hall (the one in the airport was closed when we landed). We went to the window and were given a sheet to fill out that consisted of name, parents' birth names, other names we've held (maiden name), etc.

We waited about an hour to be seen, we were called individually and they took the paper and our passport, and these people were really nice too. They put everything into the computer and asked me to confirm my birth date while she typed everything. I was given a SIN on the spot with a printout. I took a picture of it in case.

We visited all the normal stuff: CN Tower, Rogers Stadium (Blue Jays game), Aquarium, Niagara Falls, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto Zoo, Harbour Boat Tour, etc.

Here's my PR Card tracker. The current timeline shows 12 days on IRCC's site.

Ask me anything.

kzeed12

May 28, 2019
Visa Office......
Sydney CIO Nova Scotia
AOR Received.
22-09-2018
Hello all. We (wife and I) landed at YYZ late on August 24, 2019 (a Saturday). See my signature for PPR time/dates/etc. This is the tale of our soft landing + SIN + etc.

Our flight was delayed several times and nearly canceled due to multiple maintenance issues with multiple planes. Thankfully, we got in super late to YYZ and were shuffled along to the check-in machines where we selected our purpose for the visit (immigration), it took a picture, and we did the standard customs declarations (I selected unaccompanied goods on the device for both of us). It printed out the receipt with our pictures and the UG marker for unaccompanied goods.

We stood in line to reach an immigration person who basically waved through Canadians and US citizens who were holding up passports and the receipts. I clarified to her that I was immigrating and she told me to walk through (no immigration interview at this point). She marked my receipt with a large pink Z with a highlighter.

I then reached the next immigration person who I again told I was immigrating (but he could see the big pink Z on the receipts anyway). He directed me into a glass-enclosed room with a long queue. It got even longer and it was apparently mostly student visa applicants. We waited in this room for about an hour, I'd say.

When we reached the immigration officer, he asked for the CoPR, passport, address for PR card (I had this printed out for clarity - a friend's address). He asked us to sit and wait to be called. We went to the sitting area with a bunch of students (they seemed to be processing student visas in bulk, stamping multiple passports in a cubicle, signing, etc in an assembly line fashion; also they were getting super serious with another guy in another cubicle, having him empty his pockets, unlock his phone, patting him down, etc. Not sure what he did or didn't do.)

They called our names, we went back up to his booth, and he congratulated us and told us we were permanent residents. He gave us the customs receipt back in addition to the signed CoPR. He told us, "Hang onto these. You'll need them in 3 years when you apply for citizenship."

He asked if we had any other questions, and I asked if I could get a stamp in my passport, since they don't normally stamp US passports when entering Canada. He said he had already stamped and he was surprised I asked since most US people don't want stamps (due to page limits and we can no longer get more pages). I looked for the stamps and asked what the "I" meant on it. I asked if it meant "indefinite" since we were not on a 6 month limit anymore. He said it meant "immigrant" which made us smile.

We continued to the customs area where we informed them we had goods to follow. We were directed to secondary and a short line (we were the only ones waiting while multiple officers helped others). We were called over within a minute and I presented the lists. He flipped through for a minute and then just asked "is there a grand total somewhere?" and I told him it's on the last page. They stamped all my pages and put my grand total into the computer and printed some kind of customs receipt and gave it to me.

He said to present the stamped list if we U-Haul our own stuff or give it to the shipping company if we ship it.

This was August 25 by this point, since we arrived late. That is the date that my PR card application shows submitted. I was able to link the application in my EE portal by using instructions on this forum. The officer didn't put mine in correctly, and it was hard for me to link. My CoPR birthplace was like StateName, U.S. and my wife's was StateName, U.S.A. He apparently entered both as U.S.A. I only realized this after giving up on my own and linking my wife's. When I saw hers was different, I tried "U.S.A." on mine and it worked. Huzzah!

On the following Monday (1 or 2 days later, depending on how you look at it), we went to Service Canada in Toronto City Hall (the one in the airport was closed when we landed). We went to the window and were given a sheet to fill out that consisted of name, parents' birth names, other names we've held (maiden name), etc.

We waited about an hour to be seen, we were called individually and they took the paper and our passport, and these people were really nice too. They put everything into the computer and asked me to confirm my birth date while she typed everything. I was given a SIN on the spot with a printout. I took a picture of it in case.

We visited all the normal stuff: CN Tower, Rogers Stadium (Blue Jays game), Aquarium, Niagara Falls, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto Zoo, Harbour Boat Tour, etc.

Ask me anything.
Happy to hear that finally - after the long wait - a New Journey begins for you guys ..
Anyways - Best Wishes :)

Reactions: USProgrammer

chints333

Jan 11, 2019
india
Category........
FSW
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
11-12-2018
Thank you for the detailed post (as always!). Look forward to hearing your experiences (banking, house, job search, etc)

Selfie!:)))

Wishing you both all the very best for the new beginnings!!

Reactions: USProgrammer

xnitkam

Jan 4, 2018

Ask me anything.
Congratulations @USProgrammer . I was thinking of writing my exp of landing via Rainbow bridge as it was not as seemless as yours . Completed my landing on 8/28 and was not allowed to provide my friends address :( How does linking happens? Please share any link if you can. Good luck with you adventure up North :)

Cheers!

USProgrammer

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2018
Texas, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Congratulations @USProgrammer . I was thinking of writing my exp of landing via Rainbow bridge as it was not as seemless as yours . Completed my landing on 8/28 and was not allowed to provide my friends address :( How does linking happens? Please share any link if you can. Good luck with you adventure up North :)

Cheers!
How were you "not allowed" to provide the friend's address? They asked for the address to send the PR card to and I provided it to them.

Linking instructions I just googled. This link is the first result for me now and looks substantively similar.

What else happened with yours that wasn't seamless?

Reactions: Spotted

xnitkam

Jan 4, 2018
How were you "not allowed" to provide the friend's address? They asked for the address to send the PR card to and I provided it to them.

Linking instructions I just googled. This link is the first result for me now and looks substantively similar.

What else happened with yours that wasn't seamless?
I went for my soft landing via rainbow bridge .At the post ,the lady officer asked us for our passports and asked us how long we have been staying in US and gave a rude response by saying that you are not coming back after landing as I have been staying in US for 6 years or so ! After that we proceeded to immigration office where we parked the car and then submitted our passports and paperwork to Officer who took almost 2 hours to call our names. Finally after usual greetings ,she asked us for address and I provided my friends address. She said they cannot accept friends address as u won't be there to receive your PR cards. This is to avoid fraud and blah blah blah. I defended this is the process on which she said she is going to have my US address only on system and I can update when I am planning to return. I can call CIC or update the address myself in CIC portal before I return so that PR cards can reach by the time I am in Canada. I am accepted as PR but don't have PR cards so far. Applied for SIN next day and got it in but15 mins but the landing exp gave me a bitter feel. The lady officer told that I have all rights like a PR and need COPR doc till I get my citizenship.
Any suggestions on how to update the address and whether to update it or not . Read on CIC website that I have to do that within 180 days after landing.

USProgrammer

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2018
Texas, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
I went for my soft landing via rainbow bridge .At the post ,the lady officer asked us for our passports and asked us how long we have been staying in US and gave a rude response by saying that you are not coming back after landing as I have been staying in US for 6 years or so ! After that we proceeded to immigration office where we parked the car and then submitted our passports and paperwork to Officer who took almost 2 hours to call our names. Finally after usual greetings ,she asked us for address and I provided my friends address. She said they cannot accept friends address as u won't be there to receive your PR cards. This is to avoid fraud and blah blah blah. I defended this is the process on which she said she is going to have my US address only on system and I can update when I am planning to return. I can call CIC or update the address myself in CIC portal before I return so that PR cards can reach by the time I am in Canada. I am accepted as PR but don't have PR cards so far. Applied for SIN next day and got it in but15 mins but the landing exp gave me a bitter feel. The lady officer told that I have all rights like a PR and need COPR doc till I get my citizenship.
Any suggestions on how to update the address and whether to update it or not . Read on CIC website that I have to do that within 180 days after landing.
The officer asked me if I'd ever been to Canada and I told him once, but in Vancouver. There was nothing about "coming back after landing".

To update your address: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=622&top=4

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
Thanks for the details, really helpful. Question about the Goods (Accompanying and To Follow).
1. Did you create two lists?
2. How detailed were the lists?
3. Can you provide an example of the format?

Ask me anything.

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Don't worry - most Canadians are not like that. There's always a few people, but I've been here 2 years now, and 99% of people you meet are really nice, polite and friendly.

USProgrammer

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2018
Texas, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Thanks for the details, really helpful. Question about the Goods (Accompanying and To Follow).
1. Did you create two lists?
2. How detailed were the lists?
3. Can you provide an example of the format?
1. Yes
2. Organized by category, then alphabetical by goods, with summary amounts.
3. Example: 25 Men's T-Shirts: $300, 5 Men's Slacks: $250. Items are grouped, not listed individually. High value items listed separately with replacement value. e.g. iPhone X (SN: Serial_Number_Here): $650

tuhadapeo

Jul 20, 2017
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Montreal -> Vancouver
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
04-12-2018
AOR Received.
04-12-2018
Med's Done....
14-01-2019
1. Yes
2. Organized by category, then alphabetical by goods, with summary amounts.
3. Example: 25 Men's T-Shirts: $300, 5 Men's Slacks: $250. Items are grouped, not listed individually. High value items listed separately with replacement value. e.g. iPhone X (SN: Serial_Number_Here): $650
Sweet, thanks. I am assuming the amount was CAD and not USD. If yes, did you convert the product totals based off of there current US value?