CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Thanks for the detailed spreadsheet and also for others to reuse your work!
One more follow-up question, when you say the officer filled your bsf 186 forms, did they just out the final value from both your goods to follow and goods accompanying in two separate forms ?
Yes, he filled out everything. I gave him my two lists. He just had me sign and stapled everything together after stamping all my spreadsheet pages.

ocanadaocanada

Star Member
May 1, 2019
Thanks for the detailed information!

Just one question, we still need to show POF such as 13k for a single person when landing, correct? Looks like most of us won't just carry 13k cash and will be using credit card/debit card instead, should I also bring bank statement for the checking account? Since we need to declare if we are carrying more than 10k cash/ monetary instruments (including check), how does that work? Like if i have more than 13k in my checking account from Bank of America, do i have to declare the total amount even if I am not gonna use that much and won't write a check for that amount either?

USProgrammer

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2018
Texas, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Thanks for the detailed information!

Just one question, we still need to show POF such as 13k for a single person when landing, correct? Looks like most of us won't just carry 13k cash and will be using credit card/debit card instead, should I also bring bank statement for the checking account? Since we need to declare if we are carrying more than 10k cash/ monetary instruments (including check), how does that work? Like if i have more than 13k in my checking account from Bank of America, do i have to declare the total amount even if I am not gonna use that much and won't write a check for that amount either?
You only declare cash/negotiable instruments you are carrying.

You declare cash, cashier's checks, travelers checks, stock certificates, etc. Things that can be converted readily to currency.

You don't declare money in your bank account that you have access to via ATM.

I had my updated POF printed out and ready as is required, but they did not ask for it. They asked how much cash I had and I told them we had about $80 USD combined. They didn't ask us for the POF or any more questions, but we are US citizens and are very white, so there may be some racism/preference involved there. I had it ready as required, however.

ocanadaocanada

Star Member
May 1, 2019
You only declare cash/negotiable instruments you are carrying.

You declare cash, cashier's checks, travelers checks, stock certificates, etc. Things that can be converted readily to currency.

You don't declare money in your bank account that you have access to via ATM.

I had my updated POF printed out and ready as is required, but they did not ask for it. They asked how much cash I had and I told them we had about $80 USD combined. They didn't ask us for the POF or any more questions, but we are US citizens and are very white, so there may be some racism/preference involved there. I had it ready as required, however.
Hahaha, how white is very white though?!!

I just checked their website: https://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/travel-voyage/ttd-vdd-eng.html

So cheques(checks) is one of the monetary instruments too, which mean I can not even bring my check book too if I don't want to declare? Anyway, I know as long as I declare it then it's fine, but still a bit confused how to show my POF at that time...

[Anytime you cross the border, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have valued at Can$10,000 or more. This amount includes Canadian or foreign currency or a combination of both. Monetary instruments include, but are not limited to, stocks, bonds, bank drafts, cheques and traveller's cheques. There are no restrictions on the amount of money you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so.]

USProgrammer

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2018
Texas, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Hahaha, how white is very white though?!!
Lily.

So cheques(checks) is one of the monetary instruments too, which mean I can not even bring my check book too if I don't want to declare? Anyway, I know as long as I declare it then it's fine, but still a bit confused how to show my POF at that time...

[Anytime you cross the border, you must declare any currency or monetary instruments you have valued at Can$10,000 or more. This amount includes Canadian or foreign currency or a combination of both. Monetary instruments include, but are not limited to, stocks, bonds, bank drafts, cheques and traveller's cheques. There are no restrictions on the amount of money you can bring into or take out of Canada, nor is it illegal to do so.]
I said "negotiable". A blank check is not negotiable. If it's a check made out to you, like from someone else, a cashier's check, traveler's cheque, etc, that is negotiable since you can readily turn it into currency. You do not have to declare your blank check book. Treat checks made out to you as negotiable/currency and must be declared if the total is above $10k (add together all the cash/negotiable instruments you are bringing).

ocanadaocanada

Star Member
May 1, 2019
Lily.

I said "negotiable". A blank check is not negotiable. If it's a check made out to you, like from someone else, a cashier's check, traveler's cheque, etc, that is negotiable since you can readily turn it into currency. You do not have to declare your blank check book. Treat checks made out to you as negotiable/currency and must be declared if the total is above $10k (add together all the cash/negotiable instruments you are bringing).
ohhhh, now it makes sense! Can't believe I do have a degree in Finance lol Thanks for the help!!

Koopidz

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
28-08-2019
Nomination.....
16-11-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
Passport Req..
26-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
O6-01-2021
Hello all. We (wife and I) landed at YYZ late on August 24, 2019 (a Saturday). See my signature for PPR time/dates/etc. This is the tale of our soft landing + SIN + etc.

Our flight was delayed several times and nearly canceled due to multiple maintenance issues with multiple planes. Thankfully, we got in super late to YYZ and were shuffled along to the check-in machines where we selected our purpose for the visit (immigration), it took a picture, and we did the standard customs declarations (I selected unaccompanied goods on the device for both of us). It printed out the receipt with our pictures and the UG marker for unaccompanied goods.

We stood in line to reach an immigration person who basically waved through Canadians and US citizens who were holding up passports and the receipts. I clarified to her that I was immigrating and she told me to walk through (no immigration interview at this point). She marked my receipt with a large pink Z with a highlighter.

I then reached the next immigration person who I again told I was immigrating (but he could see the big pink Z on the receipts anyway). He directed me into a glass-enclosed room with a long queue. It got even longer and it was apparently mostly student visa applicants. We waited in this room for about an hour, I'd say.

When we reached the immigration officer, he asked for the CoPR, passport, address for PR card (I had this printed out for clarity - a friend's address). He asked us to sit and wait to be called. We went to the sitting area with a bunch of students (they seemed to be processing student visas in bulk, stamping multiple passports in a cubicle, signing, etc in an assembly line fashion; also they were getting super serious with another guy in another cubicle, having him empty his pockets, unlock his phone, patting him down, etc. Not sure what he did or didn't do.)

They called our names, we went back up to his booth, and he congratulated us and told us we were permanent residents. He gave us the customs receipt back in addition to the signed CoPR. He told us, "Hang onto these. You'll need them in 3 years when you apply for citizenship."

He asked if we had any other questions, and I asked if I could get a stamp in my passport, since they don't normally stamp US passports when entering Canada. He said he had already stamped and he was surprised I asked since most US people don't want stamps (due to page limits and we can no longer get more pages). I looked for the stamps and asked what the "I" meant on it. I asked if it meant "indefinite" since we were not on a 6 month limit anymore. He said it meant "immigrant" which made us smile.

I asked if I could take a selfie with him and he politely declined.

We continued to the customs area where we informed them we had goods to follow. We were directed to secondary and a short line (we were the only ones waiting while multiple officers helped others). We were called over within a minute and I presented the lists. He flipped through for a minute and then just asked "is there a grand total somewhere?" and I told him it's on the last page. They stamped all my pages and put my grand total into the computer and printed some kind of customs receipt and gave it to me.

He said to present the stamped list if we U-Haul our own stuff or give it to the shipping company if we ship it.

This was August 25 by this point, since we arrived late. That is the date that my PR card application shows submitted. I was able to link the application in my EE portal by using instructions on this forum. The officer didn't put mine in correctly, and it was hard for me to link. My CoPR birthplace was like StateName, U.S. and my wife's was StateName, U.S.A. He apparently entered both as U.S.A. I only realized this after giving up on my own and linking my wife's. When I saw hers was different, I tried "U.S.A." on mine and it worked. Huzzah!

On the following Monday (1 or 2 days later, depending on how you look at it), we went to Service Canada in Toronto City Hall (the one in the airport was closed when we landed). We went to the window and were given a sheet to fill out that consisted of name, parents' birth names, other names we've held (maiden name), etc.

We waited about an hour to be seen, we were called individually and they took the paper and our passport, and these people were really nice too. They put everything into the computer and asked me to confirm my birth date while she typed everything. I was given a SIN on the spot with a printout. I took a picture of it in case.

We visited all the normal stuff: CN Tower, Rogers Stadium (Blue Jays game), Aquarium, Niagara Falls, Royal Ontario Museum, Toronto Zoo, Harbour Boat Tour, etc.

Here's my PR Card tracker. The current timeline shows 12 days on IRCC's site.

Ask me anything.
Hi
You have been really helpful here . I have be wondering if I must land in the province where I plan to settle. I got PNP through Alberta and I plan to live in Alberta but I have family in Ontario. I was wondering if I could land in Ontario and proceed to move to Alberta a few days later

phl2019

Feb 24, 2019
Hi
You have been really helpful here . I have be wondering if I must land in the province where I plan to settle. I got PNP through Alberta and I plan to live in Alberta but I have family in Ontario. I was wondering if I could land in Ontario and proceed to move to Alberta a few days later
You’ll have to prove that you really intend to settle in Alberta. They may be very keen about this and staying in Ontario might raise red flags. This might risk rejection of PR at port of entry itself. Sorry, don’t want to scare you but just come in prepared so your months of wait and prep won’t go to waste.

Reactions: Koopidz

USProgrammer

Champion Member
Oct 29, 2018
Texas, USA
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
CIO-Sydney, NS
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
01-12-2018
Passport Req..
25-03-2019
LANDED..........
24-08-2019
Hi
It's probably easiest/safest to arrive in the province of your PNP. However, this isn't a legal requirement. As long as you can satisfy the CBSA officer that you intend to settle in the province you stated, you should be fine. Again though, if it was me, I'd fly to the province I did the PNP for.

Koopidz

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
28-08-2019
Nomination.....
16-11-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
Passport Req..
26-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
O6-01-2021
It's probably easiest/safest to arrive in the province of your PNP. However, this isn't a legal requirement. As long as you can satisfy the CBSA officer that you intend to settle in the province you stated, you should be fine. Again though, if it was me, I'd fly to the province I did the PNP for.
Thanks a lot for your advice

Koopidz

Star Member
Nov 13, 2019
Nigeria
Category........
AINP
Visa Office......
Accra
NOC Code......
Doc's Request.
28-08-2019
Nomination.....
16-11-2019
AOR Received.
28-09-2019
Med's Done....
10-02-2020
Passport Req..
26-11-2020
VISA ISSUED...
O6-01-2021
You’ll have to prove that you really intend to settle in Alberta. They may be very keen about this and staying in Ontario might raise red flags. This might risk rejection of PR at port of entry itself. Sorry, don’t want to scare you but just come in prepared so your months of wait and prep won’t go to waste.
Thanks