phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WAY said:
Well dear I& E, would like to clarify few things for you.

1. Cetification & Selection of City/ Province:
Certification can not be considered as point of choice betweeen cities/ provinces, no matter whether its calgary or toronto or anyother city/ province in canada, u need to be registered with the licensing body of that province to work as an engineer. My personal opinion is Alberta is right choice for you.

2. Certification Process & Job (APEGA):
Don't be disappointed with the "Lengthy Certification Process".........:). If you have more than 10 years of experience then process would not be that lengthy, "Technical Exams" would be waived & u will only have to pass "NPE Exam" which is more about "Ethics & laws" (easiere to pass) & lastly with one year of canadian experience, u can become P.Engr.

But............even if u are not a "P. Engr" & only a "Registered Engineer" with APEGA, u can still find jobs (Junior or to some extent mid career level jobs). I have seen lot of job adds, in which employers demand "Registered or Eligible to be Registered with APEGA".

My suggestion is to start you registeration process with APEGA ASAP (leaving behind all your worries), while u r still in Abu dhabi. Till the time u will land in canada, u would already be a registered engineer & would be eligible to find Junior/ mid career level jobs. Once having a job inhand, u can plan things accordingly.

Hope that helps............Goodluck..:)
Nicely explained.

May I know that have u already applied for APEGA certification? Then I'm anxious for getting your help in this regard :)

Further, is there any similar agency for Ontario province as well? If so, do we need to apply separately with it?

Thanks & best regards,

Fuad Mali

Dec 5, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
LVO
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29/4/2011
AOR Received.
1/6/2011
File Transfer...
1/7/2011
Med's Request
18/10/2012
Med's Done....
28/10/2012
Passport Req..
14/11/2012
VISA ISSUED...
DM with canadian address 17/1/2013
LANDED..........
Aug 2013
WAY said:
Well dear I& E, would like to clarify few things for you.

1. Cetification & Selection of City/ Province:
Certification can not be considered as point of choice betweeen cities/ provinces, no matter whether its calgary or toronto or anyother city/ province in canada, u need to be registered with the licensing body of that province to work as an engineer. My personal opinion is Alberta is right choice for you.

2. Certification Process & Job (APEGA):
Don't be disappointed with the "Lengthy Certification Process".........:). If you have more than 10 years of experience then process would not be that lengthy, "Technical Exams" would be waived & u will only have to pass "NPE Exam" which is more about "Ethics & laws" (easiere to pass) & lastly with one year of canadian experience, u can become P.Engr.

But............even if u are not a "P. Engr" & only a "Registered Engineer" with APEGA, u can still find jobs (Junior or to some extent mid career level jobs). I have seen lot of job adds, in which employers demand "Registered or Eligible to be Registered with APEGA".

My suggestion is to start you registeration process with APEGA ASAP (leaving behind all your worries), while u r still in Abu dhabi. Till the time u will land in canada, u would already be a registered engineer & would be eligible to find Junior/ mid career level jobs. Once having a job inhand, u can plan things accordingly.

Hope that helps............Goodluck..:)
Thanks all for the nice info......Am also Electrical Eng. in UAE with 5 Years Exp. and got my Visa recently and planning land to Calgary on Aug 2013.....I found that we can Apply by Online application but we need to provide the PR card copy or record of landing copy.....My question: If i apply from UAE can i provide a copy of my COPR instead of PR card or record of landing,,,OR should i land first then i can apply???.............

Also i found that we can only apply for a provisional license means you have met all of APEGA's requirements as a Professional Member with the exception of the one year equivalent Canadian experience requirement......Thanks

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
Fuad Mali said:
Thanks all for the nice info......Am also Electrical Eng. in UAE with 5 Years Exp. and got my Visa recently and planning land to Calgary on Aug 2013.....I found that we can Apply by Online application but we need to provide the PR card copy or record of landing copy.....My question: If i apply from UAE can i provide a copy of my COPR instead of PR card or record of landing,,,OR should i land first then i can apply???.............

Also i found that we can only apply for a provisional license means you have met all of APEGA's requirements as a Professional Member with the exception of the one year equivalent Canadian experience requirement......Thanks
As I mentioned before connect witht the below guy he is form apega and his job is to assist us he will give u step by step ways for application

ca.linkedin.com/pub/guillermo-barreiro/46/7a6/670/

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Medical received 12 March
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Sep 18 2012 Shuker Allah.
yy1gc said:
Hello Aquib
I am planning to land in calgary with my wife and two little kids in march. I had two questions;
i)If i book a hotel for 3-5 days as per your advice and then shift to another accomodation, what address would i give at the airport for our pr cards delivery?
ii)I am a mechanical engineer(diploma) with an MBA(HR&Marketing) and i have more than twelve years of experience. My IELTS score is 7.5. What would be my chances to get a decent job and which city would be better out of calgary and edmonton?
Thanks.
They say Calgary good for white collar whereas Edmonton for blue collar job.
By reading what you told about yourself you should be fine in getting job within 3-6 week of landing.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Canada_2012 said:
Thanks Aquib for the answer.

Did you tranfer money through Bank or any money tranfer services like MoneyCorp or Hifx.

http://www.moneycorp.com/Bureau-de-change

http://www.hifx.co.uk/online-international-money-transfers/main/?gclid=COrvmP-IubUCFQdc3godCGcAgA

Is that ok If I tell the Bank that I am moving to Canada permanently and my money is still in my account in UK and I will be using that money in Canada?

I read in your thread that if you have more than 7 or 8 thousand dollers in your account in Canada then you will loose some of the benefits . Did you find this correct ?
I been told that if you have big money in Canada then you loose benifits.
But honestly it only applies if you dont want to work and looking for all type of support including cheap or free housing etc etc.
if you coming here to work then it doesent matter how much you got in bank.

I been told in past about some of people who lives in CALGARY HOUSING houses who charge just 30% from your income for a house rent if you are in liw income and there one clause was that you shouldnt have more then 7000 $ in hand.

I do apply for that and they reply me that first you got enough saving. Second your job is good so it wont suits you .

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
scorpion_ca said:
Those who are living in Calgary -
Do you know any better deal for home phone, cable and internet service? Telus and shaw is offering $88 and $99 per month respectively for three services (basic phone, internet & cable).
I got telus. Just cable. 500 gb a month. 21mbbs.
30$ a month. For 6 month (no term contract )
Free installation

Free router.

Try nettalk for phone line. Its really cheap and good.

For TV. We just use. Netflix 7.99 a month.

Heard about jaado box. Which is 200-250$ and everything free .

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Tasnim said:
Hi Aquib....Thanks....just a quick question below :

If we dont have the address at the time of landing , are we allowed to provide address later . Whats your experience regading this . Please advise .

Many thanks

Tasnim

Hi Tasnim.
Mostly immigrent dont have address while landing unless they know someone in city.
You can fax PR card form later , i fax min after 15 days of landing.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Canada_2012 said:
Thanks Aquib for the answer.

Did you tranfer money through Bank or any money tranfer services like MoneyCorp or Hifx.

http://www.moneycorp.com/Bureau-de-change

http://www.hifx.co.uk/online-international-money-transfers/main/?gclid=COrvmP-IubUCFQdc3godCGcAgA

Is that ok If I tell the Bank that I am moving to Canada permanently and my money is still in my account in UK and I will be using that money in Canada?

I read in your thread that if you have more than 7 or 8 thousand dollers in your account in Canada then you will loose some of the benefits . Did you find this correct ?
Its best if you tell bank that you moving Canada for a year.
(I didnt say perm as i thought they may ask to change account to non residance )

Once you reach canada just call and update then with you new address and number .

WAY

Mar 1, 2010
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 22, 2010
Doc's Request.
April 06, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 13, 2010
IELTS Request
Already done
File Transfer...
May 22, 2012
Med's Request
April 09, 2014 (Re-med)
Med's Done....
May 02, 2014 (Re-med)
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (May 13, 2014), PPR-2 (Jun 11, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Jun 27, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 2014, Permanent landing not decided yet
Thanks buddy;
No i havn't actually applied yet, at the moment i have been preparing my experience docs (as per APEGA requirements) & contacting my refrences (ex-employer) inorder to get my experience endorsed. My plan is to prepare to get ready all docs (by mid March) & as soon as i will get PPR-1 will lauch my application.

Yes, for all 12 provinces there are seperate engineering bodies. Engineers Canada is the "Parent Orginazation" but it does not do licensing itself, licensing is done by "Provincial Bodies". Websites of engineers canada & ontario's licensing body are as below:

http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/

http://www.peo.on.ca/

phdmaker said:
Nicely explained.

May I know that have u already applied for APEGA certification? Then I'm anxious for getting your help in this regard :)

Further, is there any similar agency for Ontario province as well? If so, do we need to apply separately with it?

Thanks & best regards,

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
an74 said:
any one has latest experience for landing in Calgary and how long usually it takes to get PR card now a days, also how long it takes to get health card now a days, and if we need some immediate health service before the health card can we get it even before the health card, i mean would we get the card no or some thing we can use it for immediate need.

I am landing in Jun 2013
Pr card - 6 weeks approx

Healthcard - 1-2 week from day u applied.

Health cover - from min you applyed.

Aquib

Apr 19, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Jan 2010
Doc's Request.
March 2010
AOR Received.
JULY 2010
IELTS Request
SUBMIT WITH APPLICATION
File Transfer...
FEB 2010
Med's Request
09 FEB 2012
Med's Done....
27 Feb 2012
Interview........
Passport Req..
15 April 2012
VISA ISSUED...
30 April 2012
LANDED..........
Hi.
Anyone Geologist here ?

How much a average pay Junior/mid level geologist get.
In oil wells jobs and in all other jobs.
While he applied and waiting for his licence.

No offences but Please no references from google or internet. I prefer to know from people who actually working or who know someone working in family n friends.

WAY

Mar 1, 2010
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 22, 2010
Doc's Request.
April 06, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 13, 2010
IELTS Request
Already done
File Transfer...
May 22, 2012
Med's Request
April 09, 2014 (Re-med)
Med's Done....
May 02, 2014 (Re-med)
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (May 13, 2014), PPR-2 (Jun 11, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Jun 27, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 2014, Permanent landing not decided yet
First of all, Congrats on getting your visa & goodluck for your new life in canada.....:)

My understanding is that; We can not apply as P.Engr, until we physically land in canada & COPR does/ can not substitute PR card or record of landing. For confirmation send an email to: : bferguson @ apega.ca or email @ apega.ca.

The Process:
While being outside canda, u can start process by applying as "Foreign Licensee" (please note that u cannot directly apply as "Provisional Licensee", have confirmed that on email with APEGA representative), once your credentials have been evaluated & found eligible (Completed engineering degree + four years of relevant experience) you will be designated as "Provisional Licensee". Lastly, you are right that after getting one year of canadian experience, u will be entitled as "P.Engr".

Right time to Start Process:
Since, u have already got visa & u r planning to land in Aug, i would suggest u to start your process ASAP by applying as "Foreign Licensee". U will have to provide your "University Transcripts to APEGA" (they demand it to be sent directly through your university) being in home country would be easier for you to arrange these. Also, u will be in contact with your refrence & that can help process your application smoothly.

Hope that helps...........:)

Fuad Mali said:

phdmaker

Jan 11, 2010
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
WAY said:
Thanks buddy;
No i havn't actually applied yet, at the moment i have been preparing my experience docs (as per APEGA requirements) & contacting my refrences (ex-employer) inorder to get my experience endorsed. My plan is to prepare to get ready all docs (by mid March) & as soon as i will get PPR-1 will lauch my application.

Yes, for all 12 provinces there are seperate engineering bodies. Engineers Canada is the "Parent Orginazation" but it does not do licensing itself, licensing is done by "Provincial Bodies". Websites of engineers canada & ontario's licensing body are as below:

http://www.engineerscanada.ca/e/

http://www.peo.on.ca/
Thanks brother.

Will go through provided links.

Shaukat57

Nov 3, 2010
Multan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-02-2011
Doc's Request.
Submitted with Application
AOR Received.
29-03-2011
IELTS Request
Submitted along with application
File Transfer...
08-04-2011(RBVO) ,In-process with processing date:18 -o6-12
Med's Request
April 02,2013.
Med's Done....
29-April-2013
Interview........
Waived,Alhamdulillah
Passport Req..
PPR-1 at 09-10-13, PPR-2 at 24-10-13
VISA ISSUED...
On-line Status:Decision Made at 26-10-13
LANDED..........
Planning
Aquib said:
They say Calgary good for white collar whereas Edmonton for blue collar job.
By reading what you told about yourself you should be fine in getting job within 3-6 week of landing.
v.informative.
I will also land in Calgary, if succedeed to get visa