+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing Experience - Calgary Alberta

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
I need some tour and getnto know facts about calgary like population, neighbhoods in the city, etc....any help....what is the annual tax in calgary.........

mitali

VIP Member
Sep 7, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ramzy2277 said:
I need some tour and getnto know facts about calgary like population, neighbhoods in the city, etc....any help....what is the annual tax in calgary.........
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Calgary

Mitali

yy1gc

Nov 2, 2012
Aquib said:
Hi , in response to all email who landing Calgary soon.
My advice is plz pre book hotel for 3-5 days. With free airport transfer , internet and breakfast.
Its easy to sort out accomodation once you here.
Just call me once reach and I will try to share my expreance and advice.
Cant promise but even can meet you if needed any help.
Hello Aquib
I am planning to land in calgary with my wife and two little kids in march. I had two questions;
i)If i book a hotel for 3-5 days as per your advice and then shift to another accomodation, what address would i give at the airport for our pr cards delivery?
ii)I am a mechanical engineer(diploma) with an MBA(HR&Marketing) and i have more than twelve years of experience. My IELTS score is 7.5. What would be my chances to get a decent job and which city would be better out of calgary and edmonton?
Thanks.

Canada_2012

Sep 10, 2011
Aquib said:
If you happy with online banking then once you arrive here just transfer wire to your Ca bank account. Easiest. But you need to let bank know that you will moving Ca. If in case they need to contact you.
Other option to get Bank draft payable in Ca.
Of get thomas cook travel mastercard in Ca dollers from UK.
So everytime you withdraw $1000 it cost you 3.5$ fee in Ca. Plus you can you for shoffing without any chArges in Ca. Not even exchange fee as your fund will be in Ca $.
I use both option .
Thanks Aquib for the answer.

Did you tranfer money through Bank or any money tranfer services like MoneyCorp or Hifx.

http://www.moneycorp.com/Bureau-de-change

http://www.hifx.co.uk/online-international-money-transfers/main/?gclid=COrvmP-IubUCFQdc3godCGcAgA

Is that ok If I tell the Bank that I am moving to Canada permanently and my money is still in my account in UK and I will be using that money in Canada?

I read in your thread that if you have more than 7 or 8 thousand dollers in your account in Canada then you will loose some of the benefits . Did you find this correct ?

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
yy1gc said:
Hello Aquib
I am planning to land in calgary with my wife and two little kids in march. I had two questions;
i)If i book a hotel for 3-5 days as per your advice and then shift to another accomodation, what address would i give at the airport for our pr cards delivery?
ii)I am a mechanical engineer(diploma) with an MBA(HR&Marketing) and i have more than twelve years of experience. My IELTS score is 7.5. What would be my chances to get a decent job and which city would be better out of calgary and edmonton?
Thanks.
Do you have a trusted friend or relative in Calgary? You could use their address.

Once you get your engineering (APEGGA) certificate here, you should be able to get a job in either city. You could also get a post-graduate certificate or diploma to strengthen your MBA. HR is a hard field to break into, so I would focus on the engineering. They are in high demand. Even Health Services Alberta is hiring one - I saw it yesterday! Pay was amazing. Must be APEGGA certified. (Don't remember which type of engineer though.... not too helpful, sorry :p)

My advice is 3 fold for a job - 1) Apply for survival jobs, 2) Apply for real jobs like engineering jobs, 3) Get certification and education you need to be "Canadian." Formula for success.............

amikety

VIP Member
Dec 4, 2011
Calgary
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-01-2013
AOR Received.
2-2-2013
Med's Done....
12-10-2012
Passport Req..
9-07-2013
VISA ISSUED...
7-08-2013
LANDED..........
7-08-2013
Canada_2012 said:
I read in your thread that if you have more than 7 or 8 thousand dollers in your account in Canada then you will loose some of the benefits . Did you find this correct ?
This mostly refers to welfare, which a newly landed FSW isn't eligible for.

If you don't claim the money, even in the UK for anything, including housing subsidy and child benefits, and the government finds out, you could get into a lot of trouble. They will demand their money back, may fine you, or may charge you with fraud. Not really worth it in my opinion.

ashique_tas

Jan 23, 2011
Bangladesh
Category........
Visa Office......
Singapore
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
07-04-10
Doc's Request.
25-06-10
Nomination.....
25-06-2010
AOR Received.
1st AOR @ 25-06-10;2nd AOR @ 12-10-10
IELTS Request
25-06-10
File Transfer...
26-09-10;Updated docs sent on 21st Feb,2012.
Med's Request
Issued @ 5th July,2012.Received@17th July,2012 By the grace of Almighty Allah!!
Med's Done....
21st July,2012;received by SGVO @ 25th July & docs reached at 2nd Aug by the grace of Allah
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
By the grace of Allah 19.09.2012
VISA ISSUED...
By the grace of Allah 29.10.2012
LANDED..........
By the grace of Allah 4th Feb,2013.
Aquib said:
Congralts bro.
Let me know if you need any help
Thanks Aquib Bhai,

Sure will do..Just got the health card today.Waiting for my SIN card.Also hoping to get a job..Please pray for me..Thanks again Bhaia..

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
hi all,

nice discussion as usual here, regarding the APEGA, i am an instrumentation engineer myself, working in oil and gas sector in abu dhabi, one of the major points i decided to move to calgary not toronto is that they have alot of engineering jobs related to Oil and gas than any other province,but i was disappointed when read about regulated jobs,and their requirements,that may take years to get certified???.....even for my wife who has a 3 years nursing diploma is difficult to get certified,..........but in some job ads i dont find the employer asks for a certified engineer ,now my question is can i work as an engineer if the employer doesnt require the APEGA certification. or is it a must by the goverment not to employ any foreigner without licensing ?....by the way i hope someone have idea about bridging programs in engineering or a canadia training for engineering just to get to know the market requirements.

regards.

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
24-10-2012. PP RECEIVED LVO 29 OCT, Decesion made line added Nov 13, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
09-11-2012, PP returned back 20-11-2012
LANDED..........
Jun 2013 got PR card August 20 2013
ramzy2277 said:
hi all,

nice discussion as usual here, regarding the APEGA, i am an instrumentation engineer myself, working in oil and gas sector in abu dhabi, one of the major points i decided to move to calgary not toronto is that they have alot of engineering jobs related to Oil and gas than any other province,but i was disappointed when read about regulated jobs,and their requirements,that may take years to get certified???.....even for my wife who has a 3 years nursing diploma is difficult to get certified,..........but in some job ads i dont find the employer asks for a certified engineer ,now my question is can i work as an engineer if the employer doesnt require the APEGA certification. or is it a must by the goverment not to employ any foreigner without licensing ?....by the way i hope someone have idea about bridging programs in engineering or a canadia training for engineering just to get to know the market requirements.

regards.
U can still work under p eng but can't work as professional engineer u can still practice and many employeer don't ask for it but u cant work independent as p.eng. many engineer dont yet certified n working there

WAY

Mar 1, 2010
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 22, 2010
Doc's Request.
April 06, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 13, 2010
IELTS Request
Already done
File Transfer...
May 22, 2012
Med's Request
April 09, 2014 (Re-med)
Med's Done....
May 02, 2014 (Re-med)
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (May 13, 2014), PPR-2 (Jun 11, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Jun 27, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 2014, Permanent landing not decided yet
Well dear I& E, would like to clarify few things for you.

1. Cetification & Selection of City/ Province:
Certification can not be considered as point of choice betweeen cities/ provinces, no matter whether its calgary or toronto or anyother city/ province in canada, u need to be registered with the licensing body of that province to work as an engineer. My personal opinion is Alberta is right choice for you.

2. Certification Process & Job (APEGA):
Don't be disappointed with the "Lengthy Certification Process".........:). If you have more than 10 years of experience then process would not be that lengthy, "Technical Exams" would be waived & u will only have to pass "NPE Exam" which is more about "Ethics & laws" (easiere to pass) & lastly with one year of canadian experience, u can become P.Engr.

But............even if u are not a "P. Engr" & only a "Registered Engineer" with APEGA, u can still find jobs (Junior or to some extent mid career level jobs). I have seen lot of job adds, in which employers demand "Registered or Eligible to be Registered with APEGA".

My suggestion is to start you registeration process with APEGA ASAP (leaving behind all your worries), while u r still in Abu dhabi. Till the time u will land in canada, u would already be a registered engineer & would be eligible to find Junior/ mid career level jobs. Once having a job inhand, u can plan things accordingly.

Hope that helps............Goodluck..:)

ramzy2277 said:
hi all,

regards.

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ashique_tas said:
Thanks Aquib Bhai,

Sure will do..Just got the health card today.Waiting for my SIN card.Also hoping to get a job..Please pray for me..Thanks again Bhaia..
How many days u got ur health card

ramzy2277

Dec 21, 2011
Thanks Mr.WAY for ur valuable input,

I will look into Apega website again and check ifmi can start registeration while i am outside.......!!.......do u have any idea how much junior or entry lefel engineer earns in calgary...??.

WAY

Mar 1, 2010
Pakistan
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Feb 22, 2010
Doc's Request.
April 06, 2010
AOR Received.
Aug 13, 2010
IELTS Request
Already done
File Transfer...
May 22, 2012
Med's Request
April 09, 2014 (Re-med)
Med's Done....
May 02, 2014 (Re-med)
Interview........
Hopefully Waived
Passport Req..
PPR-1 (May 13, 2014), PPR-2 (Jun 11, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
Jun 27, 2014
LANDED..........
Nov 2014, Permanent landing not decided yet
Normally, its 55000 to 75000/ annum.

ramzy2277 said:

I will look into Apega website again and check ifmi can start registeration while i am outside.......!!.......do u have any idea how much junior or entry lefel engineer earns in calgary...??.

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
ramzy2277 said:

go to the following link

ca.linkedin.com/pub/guillermo-barreiro/46/7a6/670/

this guy is resource person for APEGA and would help you, u can ad him into ur linkdin account.

Yes u can start registration from outside Canada..

an74

Nov 15, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Islamabad to London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AUGUST 30 2004
File Transfer...
APR 2011
Med's Request
01-10-2012
Med's Done....
09-10-2012
Passport Req..
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
any one has latest experience for landing in Calgary and how long usually it takes to get PR card now a days, also how long it takes to get health card now a days, and if we need some immediate health service before the health card can we get it even before the health card, i mean would we get the card no or some thing we can use it for immediate need.

I am landing in Jun 2013