+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience by car at Peace Bridge POE at Buffalo, NY

Maverick99

Jul 21, 2020
I plan to do a soft landing in early September as my COPR expires in November this year. Is anyone planning to do the softly anding around the same time?
Also are there any concerns if you have a valid H1B stamp on your passport to return back to USA?

Any experiences from anyone who recently did a soft landing will be super helpful. Thanks :)

dileepch7

Jul 16, 2020
Let me explain about my landing experience:

I traveled from Denver to Sweetgrass-Coutts border on 07/26/2020 (Sunday). At entry point the officer asked me the reason for entering Canada for which I told him that I want to activate my PR and return back immediately but planning to permanently return back soon. He gave yellow slip and directed me to the CBSA office. The officer there asked me the reason and was extremely unhappy with my decision to travel during the pandemic. He told me that there was no need to travel for immigration which is a non- essential purpose. He made me wait for 1 hr and again called me and told that he doesn’t want to issue PR and asked me to return back. I told him my COPR is expiring in 2 months but he countered me that all expiring COPRs will be extended. Then I told him that there are no clear guidelines for extension process and the duration it will take and I am planning to return back for settlement in 3 months. He again asked me to wait for 30 minutes and in the meanwhile did background check on me and finally called me with signed COPR and said my PR is activated from today. I literally felt like a miracle given the situation.

So, it depends entirely on the CBSA officer’s discretion whether to entertain our request during these times.

While returning back to US, they found my visa was expired, asked for my i-797 and directed me to DHS office. They made me wait for 1 hour and then said they cannot allow me to enter US since my visa was expired and asked me to return back Canada and get stamped visa. It seems they were not aware of AVR process, so i explained them about this process. But they were adamant on refusing entry and said since my expired visa with old employer and i797 is with new employer, AVR process is not valid in my case. Some how they again asked me to wait, this time 2 hours and finally called me and said I can enter US.

To conclude, I took a chance and it paid off. I am not sure whether you can follow the same path as it depends on the border officers on both sides.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018

I traveled from Denver to Sweetgrass-Coutts border on 07/26/2020 (Sunday). At entry point the officer asked me the reason for entering Canada for which I told him that I want to activate my PR and return back immediately but planning to permanently return back soon. He gave yellow slip and directed me to the CBSA office. The officer there asked me the reason and was extremely unhappy with my decision to travel during the pandemic. He told me that there was no need to travel for immigration which is a non- essential purpose. He made me wait for 1 hr and again called me and told that he doesn’t want to issue PR and asked me to return back. I told him my COPR is expiring in 2 months but he countered me that all expiring COPRs will be extended. Then I told him that there are no clear guidelines for extension process and the duration it will take and I am planning to return back for settlement in 3 months. He again asked me to wait for 30 minutes and in the meanwhile did background check on me and finally called me with signed COPR and said my PR is activated from today. I literally felt like a miracle given the situation.

So, it depends entirely on the CBSA officer’s discretion whether to entertain our request during these times.

While returning back to US, they found my visa was expired, asked for my i-797 and directed me to DHS office. They made me wait for 1 hour and then said they cannot allow me to enter US since my visa was expired and asked me to return back Canada and get stamped visa. It seems they were not aware of AVR process, so i explained them about this process. But they were adamant on refusing entry and said since my expired visa with old employer and i797 is with new employer, AVR process is not valid in my case. Some how they again asked me to wait, this time 2 hours and finally called me and said I can enter US.

To conclude, I took a chance and it paid off. I am not sure whether you can follow the same path as it depends on the border officers on both sides.
Congratulations!

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019

Cool. It looks like you handled the situation pretty well on both sides. One question: Did you give the address for PR card delivery ? Or that will happen once you move permanently.

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016

Wow, that was scary experience at an international border. Imagine if CBSA refused to let you become PR and if CBP refused to let you in USA.. you'd have been in no man's land! :) . Congrats on accomplishing this..

Just to add .. you had such an experience on both sides probably because you took an unusual port of entry. If it was more common port of entries like Detroit Windsor, peace bridge, rainbow bridge, Seattle Vancouver etc, the officers might have been quite familiar with the process. Even if the officer at the post is not familiar, someone else inside would definitely be knowing the rules.

dileepch7

Jul 16, 2020
Wow, that was scary experience at an international border. Imagine if CBSA refused to let you become PR and if CBP refused to let you in USA.. you'd have been in no man's land! :) . Congrats on accomplishing this..

Just to add .. you had such an experience on both sides probably because you took an unusual port of entry. If it was more common port of entries like Detroit Windsor, peace bridge, rainbow bridge, Seattle Vancouver etc, the officers might have been quite familiar with the process. Even if the officer at the post is not familiar, someone else inside would definitely be knowing the rules.
I was imagining the situation of refusal on both sides:eek:.....Yes, i agree with you to go to more common port of entries

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
I was imagining the situation of refusal on both sides:eek:.....Yes, i agree with you to go to more common port of entries
on US side, what was their reaction after you explained about AVR process and after they said it won't be valid for your case, how did they again ask you to wait? when they said they cannot process you because you had change in employer, were you just standing there asking them to consider your case or they were trying to considerate to your situation and went themselves to research further?

Reactions: umyla2

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
Here is our landing experience:
When the H1-B executive order came in June my wife traveled for her COPR processing. I stayed back in US.

My wife landing experience:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-immigration-at-toronto-pearson-airport-what-to-expect-need-some-advice.691678/#post-8720532

Here is my landing experience. This time my wife stayed back in US.

Travel Date - 7/30/2020.
POE - Peace Bridge, Buffalo
Drove my car.
COPR issued before March 18.

Canada:

First Officer scanned my PR visa. Asked if I will quarantine or not. I said if possible I would like to go back. Gave me a yellow slip. Did all formalities on the computer and sent me to CBSA building.

At CBSA building, officer asked my COPR, Passport and yellow slip. Asked if this was a permanent move. I said no. Then came quarantine question. I said if you are fine then I want to go back to US. They said ok. No cross question asked.

Took my Canada address for PR card delivery. I gave my friend's address. Signed the COPR. Took one and gave one copy of COPR to me.

Then comes the import form. I mentioned all the goods to follow. Signed it and submitted at the cashier counter. At the counter, cashier gave me a print out of the receipt and told me to bring the receipt when I come to Canada permanently.

That was all.
Entire process took around 1 hour 30 minutes.

US:
I have a valid visa from previous employer. Question asked: What is your citizenship, what is your professional ?
As soon as I entered US, I cancelled my Airbnb. For cancellation, I had to pay 50% of the total cost of reservation.

My takeaway:

1. CIC website updates are very confusing so please don't wait for extension. God knows what rule comes tomorrow.
2. While deciding the POE, decide which one has most number of PR landing experience, that way you interact with more educated officers. Don't take any unusual airport or land border. Your job may be done but the officers might give you a hard time.
3. It all depends on officer. I've read few threads where officers were not nice but we got lucky here. Yes, we were nervous but at the same time we prepared for all the scenarios and outcomes.

Thank you for all the help this forum has provided. Good luck.

dsr236

Jul 24, 2020
When the H1-B executive order came in June my wife traveled for her COPR processing. I stayed back in US.

https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-immigration-at-toronto-pearson-airport-what-to-expect-need-some-advice.691678/#post-8720532

Travel Date - 7/30/2020.
Drove my car.

Canada:

First Officer scanned my PR visa. Asked if I will quarantine or not. I said if possible I would like to go back. Gave me a yellow slip. Did all formalities on the computer and sent me to CBSA building.

At CBSA building, officer asked my COPR, Passport and yellow slip. Asked if this was a permanent move. I said no. Then came quarantine question. I said if you are fine then I want to go back to US. They said ok. No cross question asked.

Took my Canada address for PR card delivery. I gave my friend's address. Signed the COPR. Took one and gave one copy of COPR to me.

Then comes the import form. I mentioned all the goods to follow. Signed it and submitted at the cashier counter. At the counter, cashier gave me a print out of the receipt and told me to bring the receipt when I come to Canada permanently.

That was all.

US:
I have a valid visa from previous employer. Question asked: What is your citizenship, what is your professional ?
As soon as I entered US, I cancelled my Airbnb. For cancellation, I had to pay 50% of the total cost of reservation.

My takeaway:

1. CIC website updates are very confusing so please don't wait for extension. God knows what rule comes tomorrow.
2. While deciding the POE, decide which one has most number of PR landing experience, that way you interact with more educated officers. Don't take any unusual airport or land border. Your job may be done but the officers might give you a hard time.
3. It all depends on officer. I've read few threads where officers were not nice but we got lucky here. Yes, we were nervous but at the same time we prepared for all the scenarios and outcomes.

Congratulations, glad it worked out for you. They are making things so complicated with their announcements.

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018

Travel Date - 7/30/2020.
Drove my car.

Canada:

That was all.

US:

My takeaway:

Congratulations!