+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience by car at Peace Bridge POE at Buffalo, NY

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
In terms of the quarantine plan, is the following sufficient?

airbnb/hotel reservation
proof of health insurance

Did you carry anything in writing to prove how you will get groceries or essential services?
1. airbnb/hotel reservation sufficient
2. no one asked about health insurance at border. But we checked with our US health insurance, and we were covered in Canada with that insurance. U should have insurance for urself.
3. I had receipt for groceries which I bought in US and carried to canada. same with medicines. Carried all required medicines with me. Nothing in writing is required at the border. They just ask you about how will you get groceries, food and medicines. You should have a plan to tell. do your research first, how will you get groceries, food and medicines delivered. We also used instacart for groceries delivered.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Thank you so much for this valuable information. One last question regarding the documents for PR processing. Here is the list that I am planning to bring along. Let me know if there is anything missing
1) Passport
2) COPR
3) Proof of Funds
4) BSF Forms for Goods.
This list should suffice. If you have plans for quarantine, have the booking confirmation ready.
If you plan to return back same day using AVR, have a copy of AVR information from CBP and travel sites. This might be needed in rare cases.

Reactions: guca

Arun123_123

Mar 27, 2018
@Deeds189 - I am also planning for 7/17 Peace bridge landing and u-turn. Do you want to connect ?

@dumbsean - They didnt apply for PR card because you didnt have the canadian address or because you were taking u-turn ? Appreciate you sharing info.
Does that mean we cannot give friends address for PR card delivery? If we cannot apply for PR card(for softlanding) how we could enter Canada again ?

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Does that mean we cannot give friends address for PR card delivery? If we cannot apply for PR card(for softlanding) how we could enter Canada again ?
You will be able to enter Canada using your signed COPR after landing. This is applicable only if you enter via land again. For air travel you will need to apply PRTD

In general PR cards are supposed to be delivered only to you. But most officers let you get it delivered to friends/relative address. Also they ask not to ship the cards from Canada to US.
Also I have seen people updating IRCC via phone with the address to get PR card delivered in cases where officers not getting an address for PR card.

Nothing to be worried for re-entering Canada after your initial landing. Hope this helps!

Arun123_123

Mar 27, 2018
You will be able to enter Canada using your signed COPR after landing. This is applicable only if you enter via land again. For air travel you will need to apply PRTD

In general PR cards are supposed to be delivered only to you. But most officers let you get it delivered to friends/relative address. Also they ask not to ship the cards from Canada to US.
Also I have seen people updating IRCC via phone with the address to get PR card delivered in cases where officers not getting an address for PR card.

Nothing to be worried for re-entering Canada after your initial landing. Hope this helps!
Thank you Praveen much appreciated.

We are planning to travel by road next week. Hope everything works as per the plan.

Thank you again.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
For expired COPR, you need to inform IRCC of your readiness to travel. They will respond with further details you required to do before landing.
There were few post regarding expired COPR. Please check them. I will try to find and post the link.

Mostly on expired COPR's you might not be able to do soft landing and need to move to Canada

Janani2109

Jul 15, 2020
For expired COPR, you need to inform IRCC of your readiness to travel. They will respond with further details you required to do before landing.
There were few post regarding expired COPR. Please check them. I will try to find and post the link.

Mostly on expired COPR's you might not be able to do soft landing and need to move to Canada
Thank you. If you could post those links would be helpful!

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Here is our landing experience:
When the H1-B executive order came in June my wife traveled for her COPR processing. I stayed back in US.

My wife landing experience:
https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/us-immigration-at-toronto-pearson-airport-what-to-expect-need-some-advice.691678/#post-8720532

Here is my landing experience. This time my wife stayed back in US.

Travel Date - 7/30/2020.
POE - Peace Bridge, Buffalo
Drove my car.
COPR issued before March 18.

Canada:

First Officer scanned my PR visa. Asked if I will quarantine or not. I said if possible I would like to go back. Gave me a yellow slip. Did all formalities on the computer and sent me to CBSA building.

At CBSA building, officer asked my COPR, Passport and yellow slip. Asked if this was a permanent move. I said no. Then came quarantine question. I said if you are fine then I want to go back to US. They said ok. No cross question asked.

Took my Canada address for PR card delivery. I gave my friend's address. Signed the COPR. Took one and gave one copy of COPR to me.

Then comes the import form. I mentioned all the goods to follow. Signed it and submitted at the cashier counter. At the counter, cashier gave me a print out of the receipt and told me to bring the receipt when I come to Canada permanently.

That was all.
Entire process took around 1 hour 30 minutes.

US:
I have a valid visa from previous employer. Question asked: What is your citizenship, what is your professional ?
As soon as I entered US, I cancelled my Airbnb. For cancellation, I had to pay 50% of the total cost of reservation.

My takeaway:

1. CIC website updates are very confusing so please don't wait for extension. God knows what rule comes tomorrow.
2. While deciding the POE, decide which one has most number of PR landing experience, that way you interact with more educated officers. Don't take any unusual airport or land border. Your job may be done but the officers might give you a hard time.
3. It all depends on officer. I've read few threads where officers were not nice but we got lucky here. Yes, we were nervous but at the same time we prepared for all the scenarios and outcomes.

Thank you for all the help this forum has provided. Good luck.
Hello,

Thanks for sharing this info. It is really helpful. Is there any document that we need to carry if driving our own car ?

Appreciate your response.

incomingAbg

Aug 25, 2019
Hello,

Thanks for sharing this info. It is really helpful. Is there any document that we need to carry if driving our own car ?

Appreciate your response.
I had my car title and insurance papers. That's all. If your car is on lease or loan then take those papers with you. Also if you plan to ship your car to Canada in near future then you also need to enter VIN number on the good to follow document.

Last edited:
Reactions: sam 1234

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
I had my car title and insurance papers. That's all. If your car is on lease or loan then take those papers with you. Also if you plan to ship your car to Canada in near future then you also need to enter VIN number on the good to follow document.
Thanks so much

siddtox

Jul 6, 2020

Hi Praveen - do you what number people are calling to give IRCC the address for the PR card?