+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landing experience by car at Peace Bridge POE at Buffalo, NY

randyaung

May 14, 2020
I successfully completed my PR landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo on Aug 11th. I have an expired H1b visa, valid i797A and i94.
The Canadian immigration officers were very pleasant. I told them I was here to finalize my PR landing and hoping to go back to the US right after. They were okay with that and didnt give any problems. I re-entered US with AVR and the officer knew the process and let me in after a few questions. The whole process barely took 30 minutes.

randyaung

May 14, 2020
praveen07cse
Pravin - you mentioned on https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-experience-by-car-at-peace-bridge-poe-at-buffalo-ny.694457/post-8764128 that if we don't have PR card, we can still travel by land. However I am not able to get accurate detail about that from CIC sites. Do you happen to have a link where it is mentioned that it is allowed only with signed CoPR?
The officer said we don’t need PR card if you enter by land, just the signed COPR since you are already in the system.

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
I successfully completed my PR landing at Peace Bridge, Buffalo on Aug 11th. I have an expired H1b visa, valid i797A and i94.
The Canadian immigration officers were very pleasant. I told them I was here to finalize my PR landing and hoping to go back to the US right after. They were okay with that and didnt give any problems. I re-entered US with AVR and the officer knew the process and let me in after a few questions. The whole process barely took 30 minutes.
Congrats and glad the process was smooth. I am hoping to get back through AVR. I am on h1b visa and I have a valid i797A. But my expired visa is on my passport that is expired. I received a new passport recently. So can you advise if this going to raise any questions? Is it just okay to carry both the passports?

sam 1234

Jun 13, 2020
Hello Folks,

I am planning for PR landing on peace bridge around last week of August or first week of September and then u turn to US the same day. Does anyone want to connect for the travel ? I live in NJ.

Last edited:

guca

Star Member
Aug 24, 2018
Congrats and glad the process was smooth. I am hoping to get back through AVR. I am on h1b visa and I have a valid i797A. But my expired visa is on my passport that is expired. I received a new passport recently. So can you advise if this going to raise any questions? Is it just okay to carry both the passports?
Yes, you have to carry both passports. They will need to see the expired visa and valid I797. My expired visa was in old passport too.

Reactions: sam 1234

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
praveen07cse
Pravin - you mentioned on https://www.canadavisa.com/canada-immigration-discussion-board/threads/landing-experience-by-car-at-peace-bridge-poe-at-buffalo-ny.694457/post-8764128 that if we don't have PR card, we can still travel by land. However I am not able to get accurate detail about that from CIC sites. Do you happen to have a link where it is mentioned that it is allowed only with signed CoPR?
The office who completed my landing process confirmed me that I can enter through land using signed COPR. for air travel we would need PRTD. I will try to see if there is an link about this

randyaung

May 14, 2020
Its okay. Just carry both passports. My expired h1b visa was in my old passport and the valid i797 was with my old passport number too. I handed them my old passport with the new one. They didnt have any issues.

Arun123_123

Mar 27, 2018
Hello, here is our experience
Date : 8/13/2020
Time : 8.30 AM

When we reached the port of entry there were only one lane open which was empty as well. First officer asked about the purpose of visit and is this a permanent move. We replied that its for completing the PR landing procedures and we will be going back to US after that. There was not much questions from him. He handed back the passport and yellow slip in which he mentioned "landing and return". He then asked us to park the car and go into the stone building adjacent to there.

The second officer inside took our passports and COPR. He did not seem very pleased about the whole matter.He asked multiple questions like:
1) When are we planning to move permanently?
2) Why did we come now if we are going back to US the same day?
3) Where are we planning to live when moving to Canada?
4) Do we had a job offer in Canada?
5) Did you inform your current job about moving to Canada?

He then asked to give address for PR card delivery and also asked for the Goods to Follow form. He didn't ask for the proof of funds.After around 15 minutes, he asked to sign the COPR papers. He then handed back our passports and client copy of the signed COPR. There was no mention about quarantine from both the officers.

This whole process took around 30 minutes at the Canada border. Two officers then came out and showed us where to take the U turn back to US.

At the US border:
Asked us for our passports(we all had a valid visa stamp). He checked the car trunk and then let us in. This took around 5 minutes.

Overall it was a smooth process. This forum helped a lot in giving us confidence to make this journey. Hope our experience helps some one out there.

praveen07cse

Star Member
Feb 18, 2019
Hi Praveen,

Did you applied for SIN number online? If yes could you please share the list of documents you submitted?
Hi,

I just applied mine. Below were the documents I submitted.

1.Signed COPR
2.Passport
3.Bank statement for address proof
4.Driving license

I applied for my kids as well. Submitted Signed COPR ,Passport for them and above documents for both parents.