Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017

Landing Experience at Toronto along with my wife ( no kids ) - FSWO

Los Angeles International Airport

To: Toronto Pearson International Airport

From Airport: I took a direct flight 'West Jet' from Los Angeles to Toronto - 4hrs flight journey. I had 7 check-in bags ( 23 kgs each ), 2 cabin bags ( 7 kilos each ), 2 personal bags. Yes we had hello lot of bags with us. After contemplating a lot, we decided to carry luggage along with us over cargo them because each ticket costed us USD $ 130, all luggage put together costed us USD $ 380. Hence, the whole trip costed us USD $640 which seemed to be economical rather than shipping or driving. The flight journey was smooth - 4.5hrs, no complaints.

At Toronto International Airport: Let me break this down at every level as you guys must be interested in this stuff

1. You will be given a declaration card in the aircraft. Don’t bother filling it as you must digitally fill it at the kiosks

2. Once you leave the aircraft, you stand in the que and scan your passport and declare if you are a first-time immigrant or otherwise. The kiosk will scan you and your dependents and print out a receipt with photos of each one of you. Keep it safely

3. Next que is where the immigration officer meets you. When your turn comes, the officer will direct you to a different immigration room since this is our first time.

4. In the immigration room you submit your COPR, Passports. The immigration officer asked me why Canada from USA, I said ‘ the world believes Canada is a better place ‘. Officer smiles and says it is indeed. He asked me how much cash I have. I said only $30 CAD, rest is in my bank and I will be using my international credit cards. The officer said don’t worry, this is only for our records. No POF documents asked. The officer asked me to sit down for 15 min and called me back. He takes our sign on COPR, keeps a copy and gives us a copy. He said we are all set and welcomes us to Toronto.

5. We are then directed to Service Canada department when they ask our passports again for SIN. They ask dad and mom full names, mom’s maiden name before marriage for their records. Within 5 min, we get our SIN which is just a printed document. They no more issue SIN cards, its all paper based.

6. After that, there is a small desk when there are different tourist, settlement, housing etc pamphlets. They did not interest me as I felt google is better and skipped this kiosk

7. I then go pick my luggage ( all the 7 big bags ) and move towards customs. I had the BSF186A form filled up for each of my bag and a summary form along with pictures of gold ornaments. I was all prepared. The custom officer just asked if I was carrying any hazardous equipment. I said no, he did not even bother toughing or looking into my BSF186A forms. Lol

8. I came out of the airport, had booked an AIRBNB in Etobicoke, Uber said $89. Local Taxi Van said $50. I went with the local taxi.

Now, trust me guys I just stood outside for a few minute, it was 17 deg C. The air was so fresh and crisp. Never enjoyed breathing so much. Canada really has fresh air to offer. I am sure in places like Alberta and British Columbia, the air quality is of much higher grade.

Came back home took a straight 6 hrs nap and headed out to the mobile store.

Mobile Network:
Chose freedom mobile over the rest. They have the cheapest rates and best plans. The network and speed so far is fine. Wanted to try the cheapest one to begin life with. The store lady was super sweet. She suggested grocery outlets and malls which are reasonable enough to begin life here

Bank: Opened a joined account with TD bank. Process was super smooth. Gave passport, SIN and COPR. Within 30min our accounts were active. For new comers, they have many packages which can waive various fees depending on how you are going to use your account.

I am sitting at my window right now and staring at the beautiful lake outside with colorful autumn flowers embroidering it. I like the air here, tap water tastes good. People indeed seem to be calm and helpful. There is so much positive energy around here. I can only wish everyone the best of times ahead!

dipantika

Star Member
May 10, 2017

From Airport: I took a direct flight 'West Jet' from Los Angeles to Toronto - 4hrs flight journey. I had 7 check-in bags ( 23 kgs each ), 2 cabin bags ( 7 kilos each ), 2 personal bags. Yes we had hello lot of bags with us. After contemplating a lot, we decided to carry luggage along with us over cargo them because each ticket costed us USD $ 130, all luggage put together costed us USD $ 380. Hence, the whole trip costed us USD $640 which seemed to be economical rather than shipping or driving. The flight journey was smooth - 4.5hrs, no complaints.

At Toronto International Airport: Let me break this down at every level as you guys must be interested in this stuff

1. You will be given a declaration card in the aircraft. Don’t bother filling it as you must digitally fill it at the kiosks

2. Once you leave the aircraft, you stand in the que and scan your passport and declare if you are a first-time immigrant or otherwise. The kiosk will scan you and your dependents and print out a receipt with photos of each one of you. Keep it safely

3. Next que is where the immigration officer meets you. When your turn comes, the officer will direct you to a different immigration room since this is our first time.

4. In the immigration room you submit your COPR, Passports. The immigration officer asked me why Canada from USA, I said ‘ the world believes Canada is a better place ‘. Officer smiles and says it is indeed. He asked me how much cash I have. I said only $30 CAD, rest is in my bank and I will be using my international credit cards. The officer said don’t worry, this is only for our records. No POF documents asked. The officer asked me to sit down for 15 min and called me back. He takes our sign on COPR, keeps a copy and gives us a copy. He said we are all set and welcomes us to Toronto.

5. We are then directed to Service Canada department when they ask our passports again for SIN. They ask dad and mom full names, mom’s maiden name before marriage for their records. Within 5 min, we get our SIN which is just a printed document. They no more issue SIN cards, its all paper based.

6. After that, there is a small desk when there are different tourist, settlement, housing etc pamphlets. They did not interest me as I felt google is better and skipped this kiosk

7. I then go pick my luggage ( all the 7 big bags ) and move towards customs. I had the BSF186A form filled up for each of my bag and a summary form along with pictures of gold ornaments. I was all prepared. The custom officer just asked if I was carrying any hazardous equipment. I said no, he did not even bother toughing or looking into my BSF186A forms. Lol

8. I came out of the airport, had booked an AIRBNB in Etobicoke, Uber said $89. Local Taxi Van said $50. I went with the local taxi.

Now, trust me guys I just stood outside for a few minute, it was 17 deg C. The air was so fresh and crisp. Never enjoyed breathing so much. Canada really has fresh air to offer. I am sure in places like Alberta and British Columbia, the air quality is of much higher grade.

Mobile Network:
Chose freedom mobile over the rest. They have the cheapest rates and best plans. The network and speed so far is fine. Wanted to try the cheapest one to begin life with. The store lady was super sweet. She suggested grocery outlets and malls which are reasonable enough to begin life here

Bank: Opened a joined account with TD bank. Process was super smooth. Gave passport, SIN and COPR. Within 30min our accounts were active. For new comers, they have many packages which can waive various fees depending on how you are going to use your account.

I am sitting at my window right now and staring at the beautiful lake outside with colorful autumn flowers embroidering it. I like the air here, tap water tastes good. People indeed seem to be calm and helpful. There is so much positive energy around here. I can only wish everyone the best of times ahead!
Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck for your new life in Toronto!!

Ronkus2

Mar 10, 2016

Mobile Network:

Good one, very detailed and informative------Wish you success in your new life in God's own country

CanadianAspirant

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017

Mobile Network:

Thanks for sharing your experience and good luck for your new life in Canada :)
I am also travelling with WestJet from LAX to YYZ in November 2nd week. I am planning to land on Saturday morning and apply for SIN at the airport itself, but I am not sure if Service Canada counter will be open on Saturday mornings. I am wondering on which day you landed? Thanks!

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I am also travelling with WestJet from LAX to YYZ in November 2nd week. I am planning to land on Saturday morning and apply for SIN at the airport itself, but I am not sure if Service Canada counter will be open on Saturday mornings. I am wondering on which day you landed? Thanks!
I don't know about Pearson, but I do know that getting a SIN is very easy. I landed at Billy Bishop, which doesn't have a Service Canada counter. All I had to do was go to the nearest SC office the next morning, and I got my SIN in about 20 min. So don't worry about it in case you land on a Saturday - enjoy the weekend and get it done on Monday morning.

Mumbai_Indians

Star Member
Oct 15, 2016

Mobile Network:

Hi,

What did you mention in the kiosk at arrival for the field of duration of stay at Canada?
Thanks

lushahz

Star Member
May 18, 2017

Mobile Network:

Thanks for the details.

Srushti

Oct 25, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
01-03-2017
Doc's Request.
31-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017
Thanks everyone for the wishes. I wish everyone who are in the process or already landed in Canada recently a blessed life ahead.

Reactions: Mumbai_Indians

Srushti

Oct 25, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
01-03-2017
Doc's Request.
31-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017
Reactions: Mumbai_Indians

Srushti

Oct 25, 2016
Los Angeles, California
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
App. Filed.......
01-03-2017
Doc's Request.
31-03-2017
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
26-05-2017
IELTS Request
Upfront
Med's Request
Upfront
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
01-08-2017
Mon - Fri: 8 - 5pm are their general working hours. However, even if you land on a weekend do not worry. You can go back to the airport and get this thing done in a matter of 15 min.

Reactions: CanadianAspirant

thinkshady

Jun 26, 2016
NOC Code......
Don't bother about the timings. You can go to the nearest Service Canada anytime and get your SIN in few minutes.

Reactions: CanadianAspirant

CanadianAspirant

Star Member
Jul 18, 2017
Mon - Fri: 8 - 5pm are their general working hours. However, even if you land on a weekend do not worry. You can go back to the airport and get this thing done in a matter of 15 min.
Thanks Srushti, here is my situation, I am landing on Saturday and on Monday the Service Canada will be closed for Remembrance Day and following early day(Tuesday) I am going for US H1B stamping to the Consulate so they will keep my passport at least 7-8 days, so the whole process of getting SIN will be delayed. As for getting SIN you need to show the passport. So my best best bet to get the SIN on the airport itself on Saturday. I am wondering which day you landed?

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
Well articulated. The flight ticket seems to be really cheap. I checked from Dallas and nothing cheaper than $500 (for rountrip)! Wondering how is it so cheap from LA when the distance is lot more compared to Dallas.!

And how have you worked out your job? Are you planning to search or got your job transferred? Also which town are planning to reside in GTA? Did you move your car too?