AOR Received.
27-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
No, if I enter from the USA, I have my passport. But I'll be entering from Cuba when we go visit.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
July 25, 2014/ received August 1, 2014
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
Benni said:
No, if I enter from the USA, I have my passport. But I'll be entering from Cuba when we go visit.
then you don't need your pr card. it is my understanding since you are visa exempt, your passport is enough to board the plane. your passport and copr will allow you into canada. the pr card is primarily for those requiring a visa to travel to canada. airlines won't let someone board a plane without a visa or the pr card. if you are visa exempt, then it's only necessary to show your passport to travel to canada from cuba. you will be fine traveling with your copr and passport. thechnically, i don't think we even need our copr because once our passport is scanned, our pr status in canada will show up. it's better to be safe than sorry.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
then you don't need your pr card. it is my understanding since you are visa exempt, your passport is enough to board the plane. your passport and copr will allow you into canada. the pr card is primarily for those requiring a visa to travel to canada. airlines won't let someone board a plane without a visa or the pr card. if you are visa exempt, then it's only necessary to show your passport to travel to canada from cuba. you will be fine traveling with your copr and passport. thechnically, i don't think we even need our copr because once our passport is scanned, our pr status in canada will show up. it's better to be safe than sorry.
You need your PR card when you travel by commercial vehicle regardless of being visa exempt or not. The CBSA officer needs it to register your entry and departure record. If once our passports were scanned our PR status would show, then it would defeat whole purpose of having a PR card in the first place wouldnt it? The airline might allow you onboard for being visa exempt but will CBSA officer let you into the country without your card too? probably yes, but perhaps as a visitor as u would have no proof of PR status which in turn i would think may ruin your date calculator when time for citizenship comes. Just my two cents

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
chipolopolo said:
You need your PR card when you travel by commercial vehicle regardless of being visa exempt or not. The CBSA officer needs it to register your entry and departure record. If once our passports were scanned our PR status would show, then it would defeat whole purpose of having a PR card in the first place wouldnt it? The airline might allow you onboard for being visa exempt but will CBSA officer let you into the country without your card too? probably yes, but perhaps as a visitor as u would have no proof of PR status which in turn i would think may ruin your date calculator when time for citizenship comes. Just my two cents
that's why you bring your COPR with you, so CBSA can see your landing status. again, when your passport is scanned, the pr status will be in the system. PR status is connected to our passports, so no, we would not enter as a visitor. we would enter as a pr. our status doesn't change just because we traveled to a different country. for visa exempt PRs, the COPR proves status to CBSA just as much as a PR card does. this does not apply to pr`s requiring visas to travel to canada. this applies to visa exempt PRs.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
that's why you bring your COPR with you, so CBSA can see your landing status. again, when your passport is scanned, the pr status will be in the system. PR status is connected to our passports, so no, we would not enter as a visitor. we would enter as a pr. our status doesn't change just because we traveled to a different country. for visa exempt PRs, the COPR proves status to CBSA just as much as a PR card does.
i Know status doesnt change. I was talking about airline. Airline doesnt accept COPR so they would have to enter plane as visa exempt passengers(so to the airline you will be considered a visitor) then produce COPR to CBSA. As a PR you have a right to enter and CBSA cant stop you.

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
chipolopolo said:
i Know status doesnt change. I was talking about airline. Airline doesnt accept COPR so they would have to enter plane as visa exempt passengers(so to the airline you will be considered a visitor) then produce COPR to CBSA. As a PR you have a right to enter and CBSA cant stop you.
exactly, to travel to canada with the airline, you are a *visitor*. your passport is all that is required to get on the plane when you are visa exempt. once you get to CBSA, your copr and passport will confirm pr status.

also, for those requiring visas, a pr travel document can be used in place of a pr card.

Gumper

Jan 27, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Manila
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
31-01-2014
AOR Received.
06-03-2014
File Transfer...
11-03-2014
Med's Done....
09-01-2014
My wife arrived Nov 21st. We were told it would take about a month for the PR card to come. We called 1st week of Jan for a status report (no issue to get through to an agent...1-888-242-2100, follow prompts), they said to call back if we hadn't received it by Jan 8th. Why that date, who knows? We called back this week (Monday 12th) to tell them we had nothing, they said it would now be end of Feb?!?!?! It arrived 2 days later. No rhyme or reason, that's our tax $ at work!

truesmile

Champion Member
Jun 7, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
MNL
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-05-2012
AOR Received.
18-07-2012
File Transfer...
24-07-2012
Med's Done....
18-05-2012
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
05-12-2012
VISA ISSUED...
08-01-2013
LANDED..........
02-02-2013
54 days eh? That's 20 days quicker than the going rate when we were being processed. Things are looking up.

innosense

Feb 13, 2014
Toronto / Chennai
Category........
Visa Office......
New Delhi
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Aug-2014
File Transfer...
IP: 7-Apr-2015
Passport Req..
DM: 30-May-2015
LANDED..........
10-Jun-2015
rhcohen2014 said:
exactly, to travel to canada with the airline, you are a *visitor*. your passport is all that is required to get on the plane when you are visa exempt. once you get to CBSA, your copr and passport will confirm pr status.

also, for those requiring visas, a pr travel document can be used in place of a pr card.
You need a travel document or a PR card for the CBSA. You can use the COPR for first time landing only.
ofcourse passport and copr will confirm the PR status. but if they are ready to look up the info or just scan passport then why r they mandating the pr card. many are waiting for the Pr card after landing before they can travel again.

its unnecessary risk to travel without pr card. u cannot be arguing with cbsa officer !

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
innosense said:
You need a travel document or a PR card for the CBSA. You can use the COPR for first time landing only.
ofcourse passport and copr will confirm the PR status. but if they are ready to look up the info or just scan passport then why r they mandating the pr card. many are waiting for the Pr card after landing before they can travel again.

its unnecessary risk to travel without pr card. u cannot be arguing with cbsa officer !
AGAIN, you are referring to when a person requires a visa. a visa exempt person does NOT need the pr card or travel document to get on a plane or to enter canada. a visa exempt applicant can use the COPR upon entry after the first landing. like you said, a person who requires a visa must have EITHER the pr card OR the pr travel document. a person requiring a visa can not travel without one or the other. we are talking about 2 different things. the same rules don`t apply when you need a visa vs. when you don`t need a visa. the OP is visa EXEMPT, therefore they can travel to canada with their passport and gain entry to canada with their COPR AND passport together.

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
CIC website seems to imply that you do need a travel document regardless of whether you are visa exempt or not

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

it says you must have PR card or travel document. The travel document is used as proof of your status. Travel at your own risk.
CIC issues out specific travel documents for permanent residents. No way around it if you use commercial vehicle

here is copy of the application for PR travel doceument
http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/pdf/kits/forms/IMM5524E.pdf

rhcohen2014

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
March 17, 2014
Doc's Request.
April 11, 2014
AOR Received.
May 8, 2014
File Transfer...
May 9, 2014
Med's Request
upfront
Med's Done....
Nov 15, 2013
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
July 15, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
August 29, 2014
chipolopolo said:
CIC website seems to imply that you do need a travel document regardless of whether you are visa exempt or not

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/travel.asp

it says you must have PR card or travel document. The travel document is used as proof of your status. Travel at your own risk.
CIC issues out specific travel documents for permanent residents. No way around it if you use commercial vehicle
because the cic website is always so accurate? if anyone who is visa exempt wants confirmation of what they need to enter the country, then they would want to call the cbsa office they plan to enter through. i'm sure cbsa will confirm one way or the other. it makes absolutely no sense that someone who does not require a visa to enter canada would need a pr travel document to board a plane. from what i understand, the pr document is not used to ENTER canada at point of entry. it is used to BOARD THE PLANE! if i wanted to fly to canada from the us, england, australia, or any other country in the world, all i would need is my PASSPORT because i am visa exempt and I can travel TO canada with JUST my passport from anywhere in the world, without a visa. my status changing to PR does not change the fact that I don't need a visa to TRAVEL TO canada. YOU require a visa to travel to canada, so YOU would be required to have your pr card OR pr travel document with you to board the plane. the rules for you and me are completely different because YOU require a visa to travel to canada (no matter what your status), I do NOT need a visa to travel to canada (no matter what my status is).

Benni

Oct 22, 2013
Newfoundland
Category........
Visa Office......
Ottawa
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-04-2014
AOR Received.
27-06-2014
Med's Done....
12-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
20-11-2014
LANDED..........
20-11-2014
Yikes amighty! I got lost on all the "arguments" of yay or nay.

Please tell me, simply, what I need to fly to and from Cuba from Canada. :)

chipolopolo

Star Member
Nov 16, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
NAIROBI
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
29-05-2014
Doc's Request.
16-10-2014
AOR Received.
NONE
File Transfer...
27-07-2014
Med's Done....
07-07-2014
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
16-10-2014
VISA ISSUED...
12-11-2014
LANDED..........
30-11-2014
rhcohen2014 said:
because the cic website is always so accurate? if anyone who is visa exempt wants confirmation of what they need to enter the country, then they would want to call the cbsa office they plan to enter through. i'm sure cbsa will confirm one way or the other. it makes absolutely no sense that someone who does not require a visa to enter canada would need a pr travel document to board a plane. from what i understand, the pr document is not used to ENTER canada at point of entry. it is used to BOARD THE PLANE! if i wanted to fly to canada from the us, england, australia, or any other country in the world, all i would need is my PASSPORT because i am visa exempt and I can travel TO canada with JUST my passport from anywhere in the world, without a visa. my status changing to PR does not change the fact that I don't need a visa to TRAVEL TO canada. YOU require a visa to travel to canada, so YOU would be required to have your pr card OR pr travel document with you to board the plane. the rules for you and me are completely different because YOU require a visa to travel to canada (no matter what your status), I do NOT need a visa to travel to canada (no matter what my status is).
you are right about travelling for you and other visa exempt people. But you are also wrong about me needing a visa to travel back to canada. I now just need my passport, and PR card. My visa was just for landing, single entry immigrant visa, and was actually cancelled and marked off by CBSA once i landed.

So in this case, the landed USA citizen can travel to cuba and back just by using their passport(to board plane) and copr(to prove status to CBSA). Thanks for educating me. Was a little confused