+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Landed in Canada with approved CoPR. Failed to notify IRCC prior to landing in Canada of an arrest (no charges filed) after CoPR approval.

vmcanpr

Apr 12, 2023
My wife and I landed in Canada for soft landing with an approved CoPR.

We honestly said 'yes' to a question from immigration officer if there was any arrest in the past.

But reminded him that arrest was after CoPR approval and we did not notify IRCC as there were no charges filed and have documentation to support no conviction/ no charges.

Immigration officer has seized passport/CoPR documents and confirmed we should wait for IRCC's decision.

On recommendation by the officer we notified IRCC of the situation and are waiting for their reply.

Has anyone faced such a situation before? What could be the fastest way of resolution? We also need to visit India for H1B visa stamping soon.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I suggest you need a lawyer, and that any reasonable answer is going to require information about what the nature of the arrest was.

Reactions: cz999

vmcanpr

Apr 12, 2023
Thanks @armoured : we did speak to a lawyer and they confirmed that since there were no charges, it should be less serious and that we have to just wait for IRCC's response. I was wondering if anyone had faced a similar situation before and if there was anything that they did to improve the chances of approval.

The officer was clear that it is not an inadmissibility case. But more of a why did you not notify IRCC before landing question. We told them that the letter from IRCC did not ask us to notify any arrests. It was mentioned that only convictions/charges need to be notified.

Further, they gave another appointment in 1 month's time to see if IRCC can make a decision by then.

He said it could take 3-4 weeks for them typically, but could be sooner too.

We are now just waiting to hear from IRCc.

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
I suggest you need a lawyer, and that any reasonable answer is going to require information about what the nature of the arrest was.
The OP stated in another thread that the charge was for Domestic violence, which is not something that Canada takes lightly. Even in other parts of the world, where a victim can decline to press charges, it's different in Canada. Sometimes, the Crown decides to prosecute.

Even though in the OP's case there was no conviction, I wonder if that will have any bearing with IRCC, or if it can only possibly be a misrepresentation matter.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks @armoured : we did speak to a lawyer and they confirmed that since there were no charges, it should be less serious and that we have to just wait for IRCC's response. I was wondering if anyone had faced a similar situation before and if there was anything that they did to improve the chances of approval.
Honestly, I will never understand why people consult with a lawyer, then come here and ask the same question and not mention what the lawyer indicated or even mention that THEY HAVE ALREADY SPOKEN TO ONE.

So your answer is: what your lawyer said.