+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Police Certificate -- ILLEGAL document

Jane Bibu

Jun 17, 2018
My husband's mom was able to get it for us 2 weeks ago. We originally submitted the "legal" one upfront with the application, but received a request to submit one with lapsed records on 8/8, so I think IRCC still doesn't allow the other type.

By the way, can we form a whatspp group for Korean applicants? I can barely find any Korean applicants in this forum to discuss about application status with.

Hi Saxiaoli,

Did you already form a whatsapp group for Korean applicants? I am not Korean, but I have been living in Korea since 2012 and just got my IELTS score and about to apply. It would be really great to get connected with those who are applying for Korea.

Jane

oik100

Star Member
Dec 21, 2018
I worked in seoul for 2 years, which requires me to get a police clearance. I am now outside of seoul. I got the police clearance through korean embassy. That is what i sent to cic with a letter of explanation.

(e.g. embassy will only issue the standard police clearance.)

Fingers crossed that they accept these, otherwise i am *****!!!! Hehehehe.
Can you update if they accepted the standard police certificate?

Ivanjokqui

Jan 30, 2019
Hello guys,
I just signed up here hoping someone can share my struggle on getting South Korean Police Clearance including records.... I read someone got it at Daegu but my hubby's friend went there last Jan. 17 & was told they are not issuing that kind anymore... I also have a Korean friend & inquire @ Seoul & was told its illegal to get that kind :( …. Anybody can share what they to satisfy the IRCC?

Ivanjokqui

Jan 30, 2019
She just did same thing as before, except that she mentioned the need of including lapsed records (she didn't mention it last time). If it helps, she did it in Daegu.
Hello,
My hubby's friend went to Daegu last Jan. 17, 2019. She has all the consent & application certified from South Korean Embassy in the Philippines but the Daegu told her they cannot provided that :(…. Can you share to me where exactly in Daegu? Thank you so much.

Bijaai

Jan 31, 2019
OH - thanks so much for your reply. The police record IS in English - that's great - I assumed it was only Korean. Super, one less translation fee.

And, just one page if no record, which I assume my wife has no record.
And, is the extra check for ALL records and (criminal etc) and all lapsed records and gaps in history, etc., (as mentioned below), do you think that is just a one page report, or is that another form that must be applied for at the same time?

From the guide: "You should apply for a Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (범죄· 수사경력 회보서) from a Korean National Police station in Korea. Please note that the police certificate must indicate that all records have been searched, including any lapsed records (실효된 형 포함). You should specifically request a search on your entire record, including Criminal Records (including lapsed criminal sentences), and investigation records. "
Hello Rogie, did you get the required version(?) of police certificate from Gyeongsan? I am going to apply for it tomorrow...

smrtphusr

Star Member
Jan 18, 2019
Southwestern Ontario
So whats the big deal about getting police record?

My mother in law got it for us while wife was in Canada, had to sign forms to give her power of attorney.

If you read blog posts from Naver lot of people walk you through how they applied for sponsorship and immigration to canada etc...

You need current and lapsed police report along with certified translated family relations document/self identification document as Koreans for required supporting documents

Jane Bibu

Jun 17, 2018
Hello Rogie, did you get the required version(?) of police certificate from Gyeongsan? I am going to apply for it tomorrow...
Hi Bijaaj, Were you able to get yours? Do you know whether it is possible to get it before applying Canadian PR? I am going to apply PR a few months later due to my personal reasons, but I am trying to get all the necessary documents before leaving Korea next month.

DarylM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2018
Any further updates on this issue as of July 2019? I am about to take my chances on the Korean Embassy knowing it doesn't include lapsed records. I contacted a service in Canada which access documents all over the world for this kind of thing and their Korean option states "No longer available". I haven't tried Allminwon yet but will try it if someone can verify it as worthwhile.

DarylM

Star Member
Nov 12, 2018
I will suggest you to make complaint at
https://secure.cic.gc.ca/feedback-retroaction/feedback-retroaction-eng.aspx
about asking police certificate which is illegal and criminal to get from South Korea.
Perhaps I will do that too, but...

I have gathered evidence of my attempts to get this document. All state it is not obtainable and some state it is in fact illegal. These are my sources and correspondents:
  • CSI Screening agency csi@csiscreening.com
  • Korean consulate in Toronto toronto2@mofa.go.kr
  • Korean Foreign Affairs division of National Korean Police Agency crc@police.go.kr
  • an email forwarded to me from the NKPA by another forum member
  • screenshots of other members of this and the FaceBook forum who have stated they have been told this document is no longer available.

I will send copies of these emails along with the police check obtained through the Consulate.

I will update once I get a reply or a DM from IRCC.

Reactions: tham_son

ravindr

Jul 21, 2019

I have gathered evidence of my attempts to get this document. All state it is not obtainable and some state it is in fact illegal. These are my sources and correspondents:
  • Korean Foreign Affairs division of National Korean Police Agency crc@police.go.kr
  • screenshots of other members of this and the FaceBook forum who have stated they have been told this document is no longer available.

I will send copies of these emails along with the police check obtained through the Consulate.

Thanks Dary.

ishrat6788

Aug 12, 2019

Please let us know you get any replies. My application got rejected because of the same issue. Exhausted every option I had. Contacted several law firms, sent my friend and aunt to different police stations. Everywhere they were told it’s illegal. Kind of at a lost here. Raised a webform for the issue but no reply from CIC yet.

ekfcjdth

Mar 23, 2019
Hi guys. I'm a Korean who submitted a criminal record check from South Korea four months ago.
Getting and submitting the criminal record check includes "실효된 형" are illegal in South Korea for immigration and visa purpose.

I know its really wired situation, but the Korean Government is still discussing the criminal record check issue with Canada Government.
But it seems to take forever. haha. So I recommend a common way to get a criminal record check between Koreans.
But in person only. My case worked though.

1. Go google maps
2. Search several police stations (5 more)
3. Write down the addresses
4. Visit one by one until getting correct criminal record check
5. Check the criminal record very carefully
6. If the document has a grayscale or red stamp which is.. "do not submit", You should do that again. Canada Government does not accept that.

Some police station might refuse to give you a criminal record check, but ..... it worked til to give up.