+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Police Certificate -- ILLEGAL document

Yumz19

Sep 14, 2020
As so many people have this confusion, I'd like to share the emails I've got from the Consulate General of Korea in Toronto and the Korea National Police Agency that indicate the police certificate with lapsed record is no longer available to foreign citizens.
[/QUOT
hello can you pls send this to me on my email so I can attached it to the enquiry in the web form? Thank you so much
yumiyamz19@gmail.com
I really appreciate your reply.

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
As so many people have this confusion, I'd like to share the emails I've got from the Consulate General of Korea in Toronto and the Korea National Police Agency that indicate the police certificate with lapsed record is no longer available to foreign citizens.
I got the exact same copy of this email. lol

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Dear Sir/Madam,
To obtain a certificate of criminal record of Korea, you can go to the Korean embassy (consulate) and apply.
All you need to do is bring a copy of your passport and photo.
Have a good evening.

This is the response I get
I think you did not specifically ask for lapsed records. You might have said "Police Certificate". You need to email them about a police certificate with lapsed records which is called "Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply 범죄수사경력회보서". After you got the response from the Korean National Police Agency, just submit a webform explaining the situation + a picture of your correspondence with the Korean Police.

tjiang

Sep 8, 2020
I think you did not specifically ask for lapsed records. You might have said "Police Certificate". You need to email them about a police certificate with lapsed records which is called "Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply 범죄수사경력회보서". After you got the response from the Korean National Police Agency, just submit a webform explaining the situation + a picture of your correspondence with the Korean Police.
I of course did mention the file name that IRCC requires

tjiang

Sep 8, 2020
I can send you the email but I strongly recommend you to have a conversation with Korea Police or Consulate General by yourself. And attach your own emails in the webform

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
I can send you the email but I strongly recommend you to have a conversation with Korea Police or Consulate General by yourself. And attach your own emails in the webform
I have already sent the National Korean Police Agency an email about this problem and they replied back saying this type of police certificate is only being issued for Korean nationals and it is not legal to issue one for a foreigner. The embassy also said the same thing.

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
Hi,

I'm about to submit my application outland. I'm a US citizen currently living in Korea with Canadian spouse. can you please forward me these emails? I would like to include them with my application for PR to avoid headaches later. I would be very grateful. I can PM you my email.

Takikookuda

Sep 21, 2020
hi are you able to get your husbands police clearance, my husbank work in korea for 6 years and now we are applying to canada , the ircc ask for police clearance and as for my husband it is illegal now in Sk . Is there any chance that we can get it ? Or any way?

Mjg0503

Star Member
Mar 20, 2019
FYI to folks here: I emailed the Canadian embassy in Seoul. They recommended that I obtain a regular police certificate and include a cover letter with supporting documents (I included their email!) stating that it is not possible to obtain the one with lapsed records. I also emailed the Korean national police and got confirmation from them. The reply came from the migration section of the Canadian embassy, so I assume this is what IRCC are currently looking for.

Here's a copy of the email:

Dear Sir/Madam,

Thank you for contacting the Embassy of Canada to Korea. In order to get a police certificate in South Korea, you should visit a local police station in South Korea.

Please kindly be informed that the Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada (IRCC) has continued to ask a permanent residence (PR) applicant to provide a Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply including any lapsed records as informed via its official website.

We recommend you to submit the police certificate that you were provided by the police station with a written statement (cover letter) explaining why you are submitting this type of police certificate and the reason you cannot submit the “Criminal (Investigation) Records Check Reply (범죄· 수사경력 회보서)” police certificate containing any lapsed criminal records when you apply for your application. If you have any supporting documentation, we recommend that you also submit that document.

Please note that your application may experience delays or additional documents/ information may be requested by the IRCC office responsible for processing your application.

If you have any further enquiry on it, please use IRCC’s Webform to submit your enquiry.

Hopefully, it helps.

Regards,

Migration Section - Section de Migration

Embassy of Canada to Korea | Ambassade du Canada en Corée

21, Jeongdong-gil (Jeong-dong), Jung-gu

Seoul, South Korea (04518)

Reactions: emrzed

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that it seems like officers(or at least my officer) are not willing to accept my Background Check Certificate that I had provided. I was once rejected, then after I explained, they re-opened my application. Again, they asked for another additional police certificate which I sent a few weeks ago(along with all the information and the response from the National Korean Police Agency). Surprisingly, today they just asked for the very same thing! and added a few comments that I somehow should get the document. This is their new response:

"Police Certificate: From Korea where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate Please see the attached link as to How to get a police certificate https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugeescitizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html Please note that Background Check is not the same as a Criminal (Investigation) Records Check from a Korean
National Police Station in Korea. The police certificate must indicate all records have been searched, including any lapsed records."

So, I guess the officer is very strict! I think now I must find a way to provide this certificate. Disappointed!

• Sad
Reactions: tham_son

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
^^
I’m really sorry to hear about that! I can’t imagine how frustrated you must be. My husband requested the higher level check with the lapsed records last year November for our application. We were worried about getting it illegally as well but we didn’t want to submit it without it. So he went to the station and just asked and said he wanted it to check for his own records and they gave it to him easily. I don’t remember if it was in 인천 Incheon or 성수 Seongsu but I can ask him if you’d like.

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
^^
I’m really sorry to hear about that! I can’t imagine how frustrated you must be. My husband requested the higher level check with the lapsed records last year November for our application. We were worried about getting it illegally as well but we didn’t want to submit it without it. So he went to the station and just asked and said he wanted it to check for his own records and they gave it to him easily. I don’t remember if it was in 인천 Incheon or 성수 Seongsu but I can ask him if you’d like.
So is your husband Korean citizen? As I know Korean citizen can get it easily but not foreigners like us who just lived in Korea for few years.

tham_son

Sep 8, 2013
Hey guys. Just wanted to let you know that it seems like officers(or at least my officer) are not willing to accept my Background Check Certificate that I had provided. I was once rejected, then after I explained, they re-opened my application. Again, they asked for another additional police certificate which I sent a few weeks ago(along with all the information and the response from the National Korean Police Agency). Surprisingly, today they just asked for the very same thing! and added a few comments that I somehow should get the document. This is their new response:

"Police Certificate: From Korea where the residence period has been six months or longer since the age of 18, provide an original police clearance certificate Please see the attached link as to How to get a police certificate https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugeescitizenship/services/application/medical-police/police-certificates/how.html Please note that Background Check is not the same as a Criminal (Investigation) Records Check from a Korean
National Police Station in Korea. The police certificate must indicate all records have been searched, including any lapsed records."

So, I guess the officer is very strict! I think now I must find a way to provide this certificate. Disappointed!
I'm sorry to hear that and also feel nervous abt my case, I did the same you since last December 2019. They still keep silent until now. No medical request yet.

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
I'm sorry to hear that and also feel nervous abt my case, I did the same you since last December 2019. They still keep silent until now. No medical request yet.
Thanks. I really don't know. Maybe my officer is being so strict here. I'll have to raise another webform to explain again. Don't really know what happens next.

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
^^
Thank you. Actually, I've asked a friend of mine to check it for me today. In another group somebody mentioned in Seoul, they were able to get one. My friend is going to that place today to check things out. This is the address:
Ahyeon-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul