+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Korean Police Certificate -- ILLEGAL document

can_babo

Aug 11, 2020
We just applied for PR from Korea and this stumped us too.

We submitted the standard police check (even though it's wrong), consent form (even though it's useless) and a letter clearly explaining that the police check cannot be obtained (as well as how we tried and failed to get it anyway). Hopefully that's enough.

If this has been an issue for two years I would hope the folks at IRCC are well aware of it by now.

mobum

Aug 26, 2020
So just for those who are still wondering, I have actually talked to ask korea law (https://askkorealaw.com/) and got reply saying they will still be able to get the required criminal record with lapsed records. But the documents will be stamped with 'cannot be submitted' because apparently that's what all the police stations are doing in Korea now. (I think allminwon also get doc with the same stamp these days.)
They said CIC accept the criminal record even with the stamp. But I saw people on this forum getting rejected with the stamp. So I don't think there is any legal way around it :/

mobum

Aug 26, 2020
So just for those who are still wondering, I have actually talked to ask korea law (https://askkorealaw.com/) and got reply saying they will still be able to get the required criminal record with lapsed records. But the documents will be stamped with 'cannot be submitted' because apparently that's what all the police stations are doing in Korea now. (I think allminwon also get doc with the same stamp these days.)
They said CIC accept the criminal record even with the stamp. But I saw people on this forum getting rejected with the stamp. So I don't think there is any legal way around it :/
And here is the original email I got from askkorealaw for your references:

Hello

The certificate has a “cannot be submitted” mark. Now, every police station has this warning mark on the document. It is actually a short version of what is written on the certificate. You can find it in the red box which warns that you will be punished if you use this certificate for other purpose than personal verification. This means you cannot submit this certificate to any 3rd party.

Of course, this certificate with the warning mark has been accepted by the Canadian immigration office. They know that it is violation of Korean law to get this certificate. The Korean government has been protesting this, but they are just ignoring it.

Reactions: Yuan0824

KelseyKk

Aug 14, 2020
My husband went in November 2019 and asked for the illegal advanced police report and said it was for his own records, and they gave it to him. It’s the illegal way to do it, but it’s a quick way if you want. Worked for us, he passed his police/background check and they didn’t say anything in korea to him after. I believe that’s all he said but I can clarify with him when he wakes up.

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Guys, I don't think you really need this document. My application was rejected due to this problem but it got reopened after I explained to them everything. So, I'd say If you are applying, just attach the Background Check Certificate + something as proof that the other document they are asking is not legal to obtain from the Korean National Police. That should suffice.

Reactions: tham_son

Yumz19

Sep 14, 2020
Is it possible now to get PCC with lapsed record? I did submit the one with no lapsed record last june and learned today that it was wrong though i haven't received any emails from ircc that it's not the one they're asking. Im just confused. I did emailed the national police and was told to get it from the embassy. I'm just not sure if it's the one i needed. Pls help.

Yumz19

Sep 14, 2020
Guys, I don't think you really need this document. My application was rejected due to this problem but it got reopened after I explained to them everything. So, I'd say If you are applying, just attach the Background Check Certificate + something as proof that the other document they are asking is not legal to obtain from the Korean National Police. That should suffice.
Hi can you send me some documents that says it's illegal? My email is yumiyamz19@gmail.com pls help.

emrzed

Star Member
Jun 18, 2019
Is it possible now to get PCC with lapsed record? I did submit the one with no lapsed record last june and learned today that it was wrong though i haven't received any emails from ircc that it's not the one they're asking. Im just confused. I did emailed the national police and was told to get it from the embassy. I'm just not sure if it's the one i needed. Pls help.
Are you Korean? If no, then according to their current policy they do not issue lapsed records for foreigners. Are sure you emailed Korean National Police Agency?? Because I also did email them and they said it's not for foreigners.

Yumz19

Sep 14, 2020
Are you Korean? If no, then according to their current policy they do not issue lapsed records for foreigners. Are sure you emailed Korean National Police Agency?? Because I also did email them and they said it's not for foreigners.
I am not a Korean I just worked there, and yes I emailed them just few hours ago and got a response saying I just need to get it from the embassy, I’m from the Philippines by the way. Can you send me the email they send to you? It would be much a hep. Thank you.

Yumz19

Sep 14, 2020
I am not a Korean I just worked there, and yes I emailed them just few hours ago and got a response saying I just need to get it from the embassy, I’m from the Philippines by the way. Can you send me the email they send to you? It would be much a hep. Thank you.
Dear Sir/Madam,
To obtain a certificate of criminal record of Korea, you can go to the Korean embassy (consulate) and apply.
All you need to do is bring a copy of your passport and photo.
Have a good evening.

This is the response I get

tjiang

Sep 8, 2020
As so many people have this confusion, I'd like to share the emails I've got from the Consulate General of Korea in Toronto and the Korea National Police Agency that indicate the police certificate with lapsed record is no longer available to foreign citizens.

Dear Sir/Madam,

Firstly, we would like to say that you are not qualified to issue the 범죄수사경력회보서 including the lapsed sentences du e to you are not a Korean national.

And that’s ONLY AVAILABLE for content verification, not to submit any official agencies for other purpose.

If you want to know more about it, you can contact the Crime Analysis Division of Korean National Police Agency which is the main office controling the matter.

The phone number is 82-2-3150-1960 but you have to call 82-2-3150-3082 if you want to speak to the officer in English.

Good luck to you

Foreign Affairs Bureau

Korean National Police Agency
Citizenship and Immigration Canada ask CRC reply with lapsed records for the immigration.

However, The Korean National Police Agency (KNPA) does not issue the CRC reply with lapsed records in paper document. KNPA only shows lapsed records through their computer monitor to the applicant when they visit the police station in person. Because the reply shall be used for personal review only. A person who uses the reply for the other purposes (including submitting it to the foreign government) could be sentenced to imprisonment of up to two years or a fine of up to 20 million won by the clause 2 and 3 of Article 10 of “ACT ON THE LAPSE OF CRIMINAL SENTENCES”.

Korean Consulate or Embassy can only issues “Background Check(Criminal Records) Certificate” which does not include the lapsed records. Please follow the link below to have detailed guideline to apply this certificate.

http://overseas.mofa.go.kr/ca-toronto-en/wpge/m_5276/contents.do

If the Canadian Immigration office ask any confirmation about this, please ask them to contact our office or the Korean National Police Agency.

Minsoo Han
Chief Assistant, Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Toronto

Reactions: Yuan0824 and emrzed