Sept 19 2011
Passport Req..
March 21 2012
VISA ISSUED...
April 21 2012
LANDED..........
May 17th 2012
Halfmoon said:
Isometry - nice of you to stop in and lurk! Since you've already landed, can you please share your story with us? What were your experiences with immigration and the process?
Sure, mine was really straightforward and also I went through Buffalo. US citizen, no prior marriages/children on either part, we're both mid-20s with just a 2 year age difference, no criminal history on either part.

Sent the application off in late October. We sent a really minimal application, for example sending only 1 page of each month's phone bill showing us talking, excerpts of AIM chats, and screenshots of his inbox rather than prints of all our emails. We also included itineraries, boarding passes, and passport stamps for each trip, about 20 photos (it was all we had), and the receipts for our engagement/wedding rings.

Sponsorship approval in January, I really do think they take a break for the holidays! He got the sponsorship approval letter desipte having written his address wrong ::) In February our file was transferred from Buffalo to Seattle, and I got an email notification of that. Got PPR via email in March, holy shit that was fast! Sent out my PP copies a week later (my car broke down the same day I got my PPR and I couldn't get to the post office). Since I hadn't sent the photos with the application, I was asked to send those as well. I got the actual COPR in April. The envelope was open when I got my COPR, which worried me, and the actual COPR was a single sheet of paper with no security features, which surprised me.

Landed May 17th, my husband flew down and together we drove all the way from Georgia to Niagara Falls. Since I was importing my car, the instructions said I had to cross at the Lewiston Bridge specifically. We drove up and down for about 3 hours, Rainbow Falls Bridge, nope. Whirlpool Bridge, nope. Finally took a "Canada-Next Exit" ramp and asked there, turns out that was the right bridge and we were directed to park and then walk into the immigration building.

Walked into the building with, got directed to an immigration officer. The one who was helping us seemed really new, but there was an older guy helping him that knew what he was doing. We filled out a form with my car's info, gave them the B4 and COPR. They glanced at the B4 but didn't actually ask questions about it, look through my things, or even look AT my car. Signed the COPR, which was then folded up and stapled to my passport. The officer gave me the rundown on residency requirements, how long I have to be in Canada to become a citizen, when I should expect my PR card, and gave me a stack of papers showing things like how to get your Ontario driver's license and health care card, obligations of being a PR, that sort of thing. I discarded the Ontario-specific stuff because my final destination was Alberta. Everyone was nice and it took maybe half an hour.

I was given a receipt and told to check out with the cashier. I did so, was told I owed $0 (found out later that there's an import fee I needed to pay to RIV directly for my car, but I didn't pay that at the border) and we were free to go.

Getting my SIN was painless and quick. Getting the driver's license wasn't difficult, but in retrospect I should have brought my driver's abstract with me. Getting set up for Alberta healthcare was surprisingly simple, and I was able to do that even before getting my SIN. Getting my car properly inspected and registered was a nightmare, partly because of registry agents giving me misinformation, and partly because the RIV processed my recall clearance letter incorrectly the first 2 times.

That's the whole thing from start to finish. I'm still amazed and extremely grateful that we were processed that quickly. It should be that fast for everyone.

ready_fi_move_on said:
Thanks ladies I'm just frustrated with the whole situation ... I can't stand how he is soooo calm and I'm a mess
When I was doing this it was the same way.... I think men just don't like to show their mess!

dawlex

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
06-Mar-2013
File Transfer...
07-Mar-2013 <br><i>- to Vancouver CIC (BRO)</i>
Med's Request
16-May-2013<br><i>- sent with original application</i>
Med's Done....
11-Jan-2013
Interview........
29-Apr-2013 (at Local CIC) <br><i> - AIP verbally approved at interview !! </i><br>AIP & OWP Rec'd: 10-May-2013<br>RCMP Check Req'd: 02-Aug-2013 <br><i>- sent 14-Aug-2013</i><br>DM: Rec'd letter 24-Oct-2013 <br><i>- letter dated 21-Oct-2012</i><br>Landing Interview/PR Rec'd: 12-Nov-2013<br>Rec'd PR card in mail: 18-01-2012
Zouk Princesse said:
Hi guys,

Just lurking over from the POS thread :)

I knew someone who was out of status in Canada (came up many yrs ago on a visitor's visa and never left). They applied through inland, process took about 18 months, right in line with the CIC timelines. The application went through successfully, no deportation threats or anything.

Have you looked into the rules around the public spousal policy? If I remember correctly, it states in there that immigration status is not to be a hindrance in spousal PR applications. It also says that the undocumented spouse will not be documented during the application. Note however this is provided that at the time of submitting the application, there are no outstanding deportation orders or anything. If there is currently one in effect, they can and will enforce it once you apply.

Well... this is interesting and glad you were lurking ;D .. Where would i find the rules around the public spousal policy? CIC website? I've not come across anything like it yet.

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
23-03-2012 received 26-03-2012
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
11-25-2011 extension requested from IO 11-20-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
January 14th, 2013 Decision Made!
LANDED..........
In a minute!
Jamgirl said:
Here is the new addition!

Sure enough, a family car!!!!! It's great! How do you like it?

Halfmoon

Champion Member
Jul 3, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2012
AOR Received.
26-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012 - Kingston In Process
Med's Done....
27-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-02-2013
LANDED..........
Valentine's Day
blondie1216 said:
We both live in the Bahamas currently but me not for long! Will be in Canada within a few months!
Aw - it's nice to hear that you're both together.

Halfmoon

Champion Member
Jul 3, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2012
AOR Received.
26-06-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
27-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-02-2013
LANDED..........
Valentine's Day
Now that was seamless Iso!! Congratulations to you and yours and hope you enjoy living in the oil sands province of Alta. I grew up in Calgary and have wonderful memories of that city. I also love Georgia - good ol' southern hospitality. Visited Savannah several years back and stayed in Hilton Head Island. Would love to buy a summer home down those areas! Takes me back to childhood days with all those big beautiful trees!!

akinna

May 25, 2012
hey everyone, goodnight....its me only me...dont know what I should be feeling right now am just emotionless...I wentr to Kingston yesterday to drop off the re-do of the polidce records and the background declaration form...I had asked my consultant to email me a copy of the one he had originally sent to them to ensure every thing matched..only to realise that he actually left off the fact that in 2007 I had applied for a visitors visa to the Sates and was turned down, I went a head and added this new info...now I think I shouldnt have..cause when I asked the lady at the window. she said o your background checks are already done they just needed an update to see what I was currently doing if I changed jobs or residence. am worried that they might think I previously lied on the first form.

anyway congrats top those getting good news I do hope they keep the good news coming

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
In a minute!
Halfmoon said:
Aw - it's nice to hear that you're both together.

blondie1216

Jun 1, 2012
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
AOR Received.
27-06-2012
File Transfer...
27-06-2012
Med's Done....
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
December 27th, 2012
VISA ISSUED...
LANDED..........
In a minute!
akinna said:
hey everyone, goodnight....its me only me...dont know what I should be feeling right now am just emotionless...I wentr to Kingston yesterday to drop off the re-do of the polidce records and the background declaration form...I had asked my consultant to email me a copy of the one he had originally sent to them to ensure every thing matched..only to realise that he actually left off the fact that in 2007 I had applied for a visitors visa to the Sates and was turned down, I went a head and added this new info...now I think I shouldnt have..cause when I asked the lady at the window. she said o your background checks are already done they just needed an update to see what I was currently doing if I changed jobs or residence. am worried that they might think I previously lied on the first form.

anyway congrats top those getting good news I do hope they keep the good news coming
I dont think they will redo the entire background check if they said it has been completed.. You shouldnt have anything to worry about! Have faith hun! Your chapter will soon be over!

Zouk Princesse

Aug 28, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
POS
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-Nov-2011
File Transfer...
17-Jan-2012
Med's Request
VO requested med certificate extension from Ottawa 24-Jul-2012
Med's Done....
16-Jul-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
24-Jul-2012
VISA ISSUED...
17-Sep-2012
LANDED..........
27-Sep-2012
dawlex said:
Well... this is interesting and glad you were lurking ;D .. Where would i find the rules around the public spousal policy? CIC website? I've not come across anything like it yet.
This link talks about it
http://users.resist.ca/noii-van.resist.ca/spousal_sponorship.html

I do remember reading it in one of the manuals on the CIC site as well, but unfortunately I don't remember exactly which. If you Google it though, there should be some more info out there.

Have you discussed your case with an immigration consultant? They'd definitely be able to fill in the blanks for you, and many offer free consultations up front.

Halfmoon

Champion Member
Jul 3, 2012
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-03-2012
AOR Received.
26-06-2012
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
27-01-2012
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
28-01-2013
VISA ISSUED...
11-02-2013
LANDED..........
Valentine's Day
akinna said:

Akinna, getting turned down for a visitors visa to the US in the past shouldn't impact the outcome of your approval. The thing to keep in mind is that you never traveled to the US and immigrations concern would be security checks performed for countries traveled to. You adding it on now is a "nice to know" for them but doesn't have a material effect to their decision for Canada immigration purposes. If it would give you peace of mind, you could send them a supporting email explaining the omission.

If you don't mind me asking, when did your process start (application submission date)?

dawlex

Star Member
Aug 15, 2012
Ontario, Canada
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville, AB
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
15-Feb-2013
AOR Received.
06-Mar-2013
File Transfer...
07-Mar-2013 <br><i>- to Vancouver CIC (BRO)</i>
Med's Request
16-May-2013<br><i>- sent with original application</i>
Med's Done....
11-Jan-2013
Interview........
29-Apr-2013 (at Local CIC) <br><i> - AIP verbally approved at interview !! </i><br>AIP & OWP Rec'd: 10-May-2013<br>RCMP Check Req'd: 02-Aug-2013 <br><i>- sent 14-Aug-2013</i><br>DM: Rec'd letter 24-Oct-2013 <br><i>- letter dated 21-Oct-2012</i><br>Landing Interview/PR Rec'd: 12-Nov-2013<br>Rec'd PR card in mail: 18-01-2012
Zouk Princesse said:
This link talks about it

I do remember reading it in one of the manuals on the CIC site as well, but unfortunately I don't remember exactly which. If you Google it though, there should be some more info out there.

Have you discussed your case with an immigration consultant? They'd definitely be able to fill in the blanks for you, and many offer free consultations up front.

no, not yet.... we are just starting to look into the sponsorship process to see what is all involved and the best way for us to do this... still green and gathering info here.. a lot of good info and advice has come from this forum tho. gonna stick around for a while. thanks for that link.. i will see what i can find out..

icesfluffy

Star Member
Jul 12, 2011
burlington,toronto, sauga, ontairo
Category........
Visa Office......
KGN
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
aug 23, 2011
AOR Received.
nov 10, 2011
File Transfer...
NOV,10,2011
Med's Done....
JULY,20,2011
am i aloud to be proactive and re-do hubbys criminal or do i have to wait for kgn to contact him first

Jamgirl

Champion Member
Feb 13, 2012
Ontario
Category........
Visa Office......
Kingston, JA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
Oct. 19/11
Doc's Request.
Jan 8/13
AOR Received.
Dec.12/11
File Transfer...
Sp. Apr. Dec. 22/11 & Tr. Jan.25/12
Med's Done....
Aug.22/11 & Aug. 27/12
Interview........
Waived - In Process Dec 21/12
Passport Req..
Jan. 8/13
VISA ISSUED...
Feb. 1/13
LANDED..........
Feb. 2/13
Be proactive! I am lol

@Blondie, thanks! Good so far:)

akinna

May 25, 2012
blondie1216 said:
I dont think they will redo the entire background check if they said it has been completed.. You shouldnt have anything to worry about! Have faith hun! Your chapter will soon be over!
Thanks hun...i do hope so I cant go through anotyher month without him.

akinna

May 25, 2012
Halfmoon said:
Akinna, getting turned down for a visitors visa to the US in the past shouldn't impact the outcome of your approval. The thing to keep in mind is that you never traveled to the US and immigrations concern would be security checks performed for countries traveled to. You adding it on now is a "nice to know" for them but doesn't have a material effect to their decision for Canada immigration purposes. If it would give you peace of mind, you could send them a supporting email explaining the omission.

If you don't mind me asking, when did your process start (application submission date)?

Well hopefully thats so....my paper work was submitted in April last year...was then submnitted to Kingston in June of 2011 last year as well. so I have been waiting over a year now to be exact processing time has been 14 months